PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next School of Theurgy (PEACH)

Ralcos
2014-09-22, 11:44 AM
I tried to make the Mystic Theurge for 5e.
Hopefully it's good!

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130618133558/rpg/ru/images/5/5b/Theurge.jpg

School of Theurgy

The school of Theurgy is a unique school, for they teach many of the same religious teachings that Clerics learn. While they gain some versatility, Theurges also lose the power that many wizards gain in their spells.

Lessons of Theurgy
Beginning when you take this school at 2nd level, you can learn and prepare spells from the Cleric spell list.

Lesser Domain
When you take this school at 2nd level, you gain a domain as a cleric, but it is of lesser power than what a cleric would gain. Choose one domain; You gain the 1st level feature and the ability to cast a domain spell of 1st, 3rd, or 5th level once per day. You can cast only one domain spell in this way.

Channel Energy
At 6th level, you can use the Channel Divinity feature, as a cleric (PHB pg. 58-59) and from your chosen domain, but you must spend a spell slot to use any one of the uses of Channel Divinity.

Focused Theurgy
At 10th level, you can now cast your domain spells without preparing them. They still use a spell slot when used in this way.

Master Mystic
14th level ability. Can't think of one now.

Draken
2014-09-23, 01:55 PM
Lesser Domain is ambiguous. I presume it means you add the domain spells to your spellbook for free and can prepare one of them each day "in excess" of your usual maximum prepared spells?

The level 10 feature is strange, to say the least. Wizards cast based on Intelligence, if you let them learn spells from the cleric list, they still cast them with intelligence.

More often than not, that feature does nothing because you will have spent 9 levels using and most likely pumping intelligence, suddenly changing to wisdom would be at the very least troublesome.

I would recommend changing the level 10 feature simply to full access to the domain spells without the need to prepare them.

Ralcos
2014-09-24, 01:10 AM
Updated.
Now, the Theurge Wizard has a lot of spells that they don't need to prepare! I'm sure if overpowered from that, though...

Dyhmas
2014-09-24, 07:46 AM
So, instead of straight up multiclassing Wizard 10/Cleric 10, which would give you high level spell slots but not high level spells know, you can pickup this School and, pretty much, have 9th level wizard and cleric spells, right? Did I get this right?

I may be overreacting, but that does sound too good...I mean, you can pick only the best of either. Not only that, but since this is a Wizard school, you'll get access to the 18th an 20th level abilities, which coupled with you being able to add Cure Wounds to your spell list, let you heal infinitely. Just cast it as a 1st level spell whenever you're not fighting. Even better, pick it as one of the spells you can always have prepared, trough your Master Mystic feature.

While i always liked the concept of the theurge, it is supposed to be suboptimal. I mean, you can't pick two cakes and eat them all alone, you'd get a belly ache. However, with your version, you can have the best of two worlds, with no concerning drawback, IMO. There would be no point of not picking this over multiclassing, any day.

Tl;Dr: This is too good. Coupling wizard's class abilities with clerics spells is broken. You just optimized a concept that should be suboptimal.

Again, I like this concept a lot, having played two theurge characters with a lot of success, but it's just that this class is asking to be used for shenanigans, being unlimited healing only the tip of the iceberg, IMO.

Having said that,
Brew on!

-Dyhmas