PDA

View Full Version : Dex for str based skills

KingSmitty
2014-09-22, 01:12 PM
As the title suggests, are there any abilities or feats which would allow me to replace my str modifier for dex for str based skill checks? I find it hard to imagine a dexterous character to not be able to jump as high or climb as well as someone with more str.

Think Bruce Lee. He may not have been as strong as some but I'd say his dexterity made up for what he lacked in strength in any situation.

geekintheground
2014-09-22, 01:23 PM
agile athlete lets you use dex in place of str on climb and jump

edit: requires 1 rank in each of the skills, so you cant get it till 3rd level

Zaq
2014-09-22, 01:32 PM

You pick skill ranks before picking feats, so you're good. PHB pg. 58.

heavyfuel
2014-09-22, 01:33 PM

Aren't skills chosen before feats when creating a character? I'm AFB right now, but I'm pretty sure that's the case what with "Skills" being chapter 4 and "Feats" being chapter 5

geekintheground
2014-09-22, 01:33 PM
oh, well then even better. sorry for the mis-information!

heavyfuel
2014-09-22, 01:36 PM
Also, try to talk to your DM about the "Skills with different abilities" rule that can be found on pg 33 of the DMG. Not a surefire method, but might work without spending a feat.

Jeff the Green
2014-09-22, 01:39 PM
Be a Tibbit or anthropomorphic cat.

KingSmitty
2014-09-22, 01:43 PM
Agile athlete is exactly what i was looking for thanks!

EDIT: though checking out Tibbit I cannot see anywhere in the description about replacing str

heavyfuel
2014-09-22, 02:14 PM
Agile athlete is exactly what i was looking for thanks!

EDIT: though checking out Tibbit I cannot see anywhere in the description about replacing str

Tibbits can turn into house cats, which use Dex for Climb and Jump

KingSmitty
2014-09-22, 04:31 PM
Gotcha good deal

Jowgen
2014-09-22, 08:28 PM
Boots of Agile Leaping. Dex for Jump, dirt cheap at 600 gp (or 900 to add to an exisiting feet-slot item per MIC rules); and if you got 5 balance ranks you get the option to swift-action stand up from prone. Never leave your dex-based characters house without it.

Ettina
2014-09-22, 09:04 PM
Think Bruce Lee. He may not have been as strong as some but I'd say his dexterity made up for what he lacked in strength in any situation.

You don't think Bruce Lee is strong? He may not have big bulging muscles, but doing what he does takes a lot of strength. I've been taking karate for a few years, and it's become pretty clear to me that physical strength is a major part of martial arts.

KingSmitty
2014-09-23, 03:02 AM
Im sure he was strong. But not half-giant strong

PraxisVetli
2014-09-23, 10:35 AM
Man, where was this thread when I built my Shadowwalker Poison Dusk Lizardfolk??
Would've made him significantly less MAD...
And I wouldn't have had to spend LA on Feral..

DrGonzo
2014-09-24, 09:24 AM

Apparently he did push ups with 250 lbs on his back..

sideswipe
2014-09-24, 01:42 PM

Apparently he did push ups with 250 lbs on his back..

lets count that as lift off ground. you need a strength of 12 to get a heavy load of 130, double that to 260 for lift off ground.

this means that bruce lee has a strength of at least 12, (lets call that his maximum for the sake of this argument).

an average person in the D&D universe uses the standard array, all ability scores at 10 or 11 so say you have a half giant with 10 as his str,
after racial modifiers that becomes a strength score of 12, and its 13 if its an 11 instead of a 10.

so yes, bruce lee IS half giant strong

Seerow
2014-09-24, 01:47 PM
Y'know, there's all sorts of stuff to let Dex do everything. Dex to str based skills, dex to hit, dex to damage, blah blah blah.

You know what I want? I want feats that let me do the reverse. I want to have a feat that gives me Strength to initiative. I want to replace dex skills with strength. Use strength to-hit with a bow. Strength to AC.

I mean, why not? Why does dex get to be the only one-stop-shop for everything?

Zaq
2014-09-24, 01:49 PM
Y'know, there's all sorts of stuff to let Dex do everything. Dex to str based skills, dex to hit, dex to damage, blah blah blah.

You know what I want? I want feats that let me do the reverse. I want to have a feat that gives me Strength to initiative. I want to replace dex skills with strength. Use strength to-hit with a bow. Strength to AC.

I mean, why not? Why does dex get to be the only one-stop-shop for everything?

WotC consistently though that STR was the "best" or "most powerful" stat. (See also: half-orcs.)