PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on a Pathfinder Anti-Paladin

Bludvane
2014-09-22, 01:32 PM
I have joined a pathfinder Kingmaker campaign. I've never played pathfinder, but have played D&D for several years. I'm looking to make an Anti-Paladin. I've read Marshmallows guide and 1 other (can't remember the name of it) on the anti-paladin. Characters are starting at level 1 with a 15 point buy system. using only the paizo published content, and only the core races are allowed. I have gotten DM approval to be LE rather than CE for alignment. with a decent charisma I am planing on taking leadership when it becomes available. Long term goal is to rule the new formed kingdom. I was planning on using leadership to gain a undead commanding cohort, who in turn would run the kingdom's militia. So thats my guideline, I'm just not sure how to go about the regular leveling up of the character. I've got the image of a 2-h wielder in heavy armor debuffing and wading into the fray and unleashing penance to those that don't convert, and the cohort raising them to refill my ranks. So any help, ideas, or links would be much appreciated.

Vortenger
2014-09-23, 12:34 PM
I've been playing a LE antipaladin for a few weeks now and she's a blast to play. I'm in a 3.P game so not all I did would be of use.

Fiendish Companion. The weapon option might as well not exist when you can use summon monster with no duration on monsters with game changing abilities outside your own repertoire. The babau and succubus being shining examples.

I went down the unarmed strike route grabbing cestus as my main weapons and pairing that with the Crusader's Fist feat for easy ToC delivery (Ever notice how cheap having a CL 20 Greater Magic Fang spell is to have permanence-ied on you? I did.) With a Amulet of Mighty Fists you can split the enhancements you want for your Iron Fist between the amulet and weapon for cheaper upgrades.

Noble Scion: War as a first level feat lets you snag that tasty Cha to initiative instead of dex. A dip in either Lore Oracle or (my choice) Occult Scholar Occultist (Rite Publishing. Nearly as well written as DSP's stuff and thats a feat) to grab the Sidestep Secret revelation for Cha to AC and Reflex as dex. Kiss that mobility killing heavy armor goodbye. Occultist also nets you binding General Hessant which gives you some combat options outside the norm and a horse seemingly made of stone for fun. If 3rd party is negotiable at your table you may wish to look into Weapon Trickery as a feat as well. Cha to hit instead of strength can be wonderful, and since Zen Archery and Intuitive Attack existed in 3.5 (Same thing but for Wis and simple weapons) there is a precedent that this feat is not busted.

The Hospitaler Paladin archetype, when applied to antipaladins lets you spam your channel negative energy almost all day for easy AoE damage and with the Variant Channeling feature, you can add fun rider effects to it as well. For example, I went with rulership, so my channel is 4d6 negative (halved) save or be dazed for 1 rd. Crowd control, ho! (Selective Channeling required, void where prohibited, side effects may include death...of others.)

Find a way to be undead. +Cha to HP and the ability to heal yourself as a swift action (ToC) or AoE bomb while healing yourself (Channel) can be amazing for your endurance. I went with the Penanggalen template for a +1 Level Adjustment and have not missed that class level.

Command Undead. You are negative energy incarnate and can't do much but smash undead with a stick should they come at you, this one feat makes enemies into (disposable) allies and since you're doing Kingmaker, it wouldn't hurt to have a private army you keep in reserve somewhere (portable hole, maybe?)

If you read Bodhi and Marshmallow's guides you've already done the bulk of your homework. Just bring the tyranny and enjoy!

Bludvane
2014-09-24, 06:39 AM
the DM is not letting any 3rd party in the game. but everything else should work out nicely. with the feats and lore oracle, that should make dex a complete dump stat if im looking at it correctly, or am i wrong in this assumption? yea i've read the 2 anti pally guides, issue3s i was having was trying to get a nice stat spread. its rough when you need just about all of them instead of concentrating on just one. Any particular triats you would suggest?

Vortenger
2014-09-24, 02:10 PM
Yes, dex becomes a dump stat, so that frees up points to spend on strength and charisma. With 15 point buy you are quite limited, but it should help. If you can find a way to be undead, con becomes a dump stat as well, and I imagine having three dump stats should ameliorate the MAD issue quite nicely.

Traits can be a bit tricky, but there are several that are of use. Your saves will likely be high enough that you can take a disadvantage for an extra trait. If you can take Finding Haleen, do it. The trait that grants +2 to CL is awesome if you use your spells with any regularity. The 2 traits that alter channel energy are both useful (+1 use/day or +1 DC) if you do indeed use channel regularly. There is a trait if you go unarmed that gives +1 damage per unarmed strike. Finally, there is little you can't fix with prodigious use of UMD, and you have the charisma to back it. One of the traits that grants it as a class skill can be useful. (I'm at work and can't look up names due to time consumption) Although it has a certain slant to it, N. Jolly's Alchemist guide has the best description of traits I have seen thus far anywhere.

Bludvane
2014-09-24, 07:28 PM
I appreciate the info, it has been a tremendous help. i'll look through the traits myself, no need for you to do all my leg work. with all this out there for me, i believe i have plenty to go over and make my decision on what i want. I'm all for an optimized build, but sometimes you got to make the sacrifice to complete an image you have in your head. And with this info, i believe i will be very functional and be able to accomplish my goals. thanks again for the help.