PDA

View Full Version : Halloween; outfit help and general loving of the holiday

Licorice
2014-09-22, 02:39 PM
Hello everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Since I live in a boring country that has no appreciation of the wonderfully fun holiday of halloween, I thought I should talk to you guys in stead. ^^

This thread I thought would be a good place to help each other with costume ideas and also celebrate the awesomness of halloween.

I am thinking of going as female Castiel (Supernatural) this year. It will be perfect during the day, since if you don't know the show, it will not be obvious that I am in costume. But for the night I would like to spruce it up a bit. To make it stand out more. But I am not sure as to how to do that. Do any of you have an idea for this? :) Costume is as of now, black pleated skirt, white blouse, blue tie (inside out), trench coat obviously, and me dying my hair black.

What are you going as? Any fun costumes? Parties? General love?

EmeraldRose
2014-09-24, 11:58 AM
I'm going as a parent with three kids who want candy. My costume will be phone (for pictures) and flashlight. Seriously though, I need to figure out costumes for the kids. I think we're going to wind up with a Mario and a Luigi, and more than likely whichever Assassin's Creed character is currently my oldest's favorite...

Serpentine
2014-09-24, 12:23 PM
A handy guide to costume ideas. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMQ4phPPLHA)

Licorice: How about making an angel sword-dagger thingy, and a fake fake police badge you can show to people upside down?

dehro
2014-09-24, 01:28 PM
A handy guide to costume ideas. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMQ4phPPLHA)

that's hilarious.

also, welcome licorice.

Asta Kask
2014-09-24, 01:33 PM
My costume will be phone (for pictures) and flashlight.

You're going nude?

EmeraldRose
2014-09-24, 02:05 PM
You're going nude?

Sure. I will be invisible, right?

Asta Kask
2014-09-24, 05:40 PM
Take some picture and show them. Then we'll know.

Finally, an empirical test.

EmeraldRose
2014-09-24, 05:49 PM
But if I take the picture, I will not be in it. So much for your theory. :smallwink:

Asta Kask
2014-09-25, 01:23 PM
Ok. Can other people see you when nude? Like, your husband.

Drakeburn
2014-09-25, 02:05 PM
Would anybody by chance know how to make a Middle - Earth (-ish) dwarf costume for halloween?

Not only do I want to dress up as one for Halloween, but also to dress up for the Battle of the Five Armies to come out.

So can anybody give me some tips please?

SpeedWitch
2014-09-25, 03:24 PM
Would anybody by chance know how to make a Middle - Earth (-ish) dwarf costume for halloween?

Not only do I want to dress up as one for Halloween, but also to dress up for the Battle of the Five Armies to come out.

So can anybody give me some tips please?

Well you're definitely going to need an axe. And a beard. And pretty much any sort of nordic armor you can find, although thats difficult to get from most costume stores. Thor epiphany. Just don't take the hat or the hammer, and consider using some sort of stainer or... something, just to make the armor a bit darker. Finding classic knight armor would be easier, but wouldn't fit the theme of a Dwarf, exept for some sweet chainmail.

Alright, at this point I'm rambling, so heres some nice dwarvern costumes (http://thorinoakenshield.net/dwarf-costuming/) that are less armor focused and more suited to long walks across New Zealand.

Gonna edit later to ask for costume help.

AdmiralCheez
2014-09-25, 03:28 PM

Heavy wool clothing in reds or dark grays (perhaps layered with both), long beard, and maybe a viking horned helmet? That would probably be the cheapest thing I can think of. If you want to get real fancy, you can buy a chainmail shirt or vest, but those probably cost quite a bit.

Asta Kask
2014-09-25, 03:30 PM
Heavy wool clothing in reds or dark grays (perhaps layered with both), long beard, and maybe a viking horned helmet? That would probably be the cheapest thing I can think of. If you want to get real fancy, you can buy a chainmail shirt or vest, but those probably cost quite a bit.

Nitpick: Viking helmets did not have horns. Nor did the Dwarfs' from the LOTR movies.

AdmiralCheez
2014-09-25, 03:32 PM
Nitpick: Viking helmets did not have horns. Nor did the Dwarfs' from the LOTR movies.

Yeah, but most costume pieces in stores tend to think of them that way for some reason. That's probably all you'll be able to find.

Jaycemonde
2014-09-25, 05:21 PM
I'd love to go as a goat lady, but I'm $800 or so short the money it'd take to do that.

Some did. They were just ceremonial and not what people would wear into an actual battle because of their liability.

Scarlet Knight
2014-09-25, 06:40 PM
Last Halloween , I entered the office Costume Contest. I went as a wizard: long beard, hooded cloak, staff. I had a stein on my belt but filled it since they we serving ale.

I was announced as a dwarf.

I hope it was the stein and not reflective that I need to lose weight....:smallfrown:

BannedInSchool
2014-09-25, 06:53 PM
I was going to make some jest referring to the obnoxious tendency for the commercial costumes for women to all be "Sexy ...", but now I'm disturbed by thought of the "Sexy Dwarf" costume.

Killer Angel
2014-09-26, 07:33 AM
but now I'm disturbed by thought of the "Sexy Dwarf" costume.

Firstly, you need Peter Dinklage...

Brother Oni
2014-09-26, 07:35 AM
But if I take the picture, I will not be in it. So much for your theory. :smallwink:

Selfie? :smalltongue:

EmeraldRose
2014-09-26, 08:11 AM
Selfie? :smalltongue:

Sorry, not going to happen. I'm over 30, which is when those should definitely stop. :smallwink:

Serpentine
2014-09-26, 08:50 AM
I was going to make some jest referring to the obnoxious tendency for the commercial costumes for women to all be "Sexy ...", but now I'm disturbed by thought of the "Sexy Dwarf" costume.Ugh. You KNOW it'll exist, because heaven forbid women just dress up as "thing", rather than "thing with half the material and half of what's left replaced with lace and fishnets" :smallannoyed: At least that one would be kind of amusing and original...

I'm always looking for suggestions of costumes that won't look ridiculous, gross or unrecognisable on a tall, overweight, big-boobed girl.

BannedInSchool
2014-09-26, 02:05 PM
I'm always looking for suggestions of costumes that won't look ridiculous, gross or unrecognisable on a tall, overweight, big-boobed girl.
Uh, some pretty subjective criteria there...Sexy Grim Reaper? :smallbiggrin:

Asta Kask
2014-09-26, 02:07 PM
Sorry, not going to happen. I'm over 30, which is when those should definitely stop. :smallwink:

And I don't think your kids need to get photos from the Internet mailed to them with comments like "wow! your mom is such a MILF!"

Just no.

EmeraldRose
2014-09-26, 02:27 PM
And I don't think your kids need to get photos from the Internet mailed to them with comments like "wow! your mom is such a MILF!"

Just no.
On this we can agree.

Speaking of weird "sexy" costumes...I ran across some...strange examples when looking for Mario and Luigi costumes for the littles....completely not what I was expecting. :smallconfused:

Winter_Wolf
2014-09-26, 02:40 PM
I was going to make some jest referring to the obnoxious tendency for the commercial costumes for women to all be "Sexy ...", but now I'm disturbed by thought of the "Sexy Dwarf" costume.

Hey, beards are sexy.

Wait, that's probably not what they meant, is it.

I'll be going as myself, since no one around here seems to appreciate or understand the goodness of the "cowboy hat." So literally the only thing I need to do is put on my bloody hat and coat and be myself. People around here are just so conventional. :smallannoyed: I would like to get dressed up, but anything I'm interested in will probably traumatize my kids.

warty goblin
2014-09-26, 11:03 PM

I'm firmly of the view that everybody looks good in chainmail. Not sexy bikini chainmail1, but the thigh-length real deal. Preferably steel, aluminum has entirely the wrong lustre, and doesn't hang right either. Combine with a nice wide belt at the hips to take some of the load off of the shoulders, and you're good to go. Nobody notices if the rest of the costume is horrible, because simply by showing up in 20 odd pounds of ironmongery, you instantly outclass everybody else in the room.

1Which has always struck me as really uncomfortable. Mail tends to pinch little bits of skin, and I can only begin to imagine the chafing issues.

Asta Kask
2014-09-27, 02:22 AM
1Which has always struck me as really uncomfortable. Mail tends to pinch little bits of skin, and I can only begin to imagine the chafing issues.

But that's why female barbarians all wear it. 1) it removes all hair, 2) the pain hardens them and makes them invincible. :smallwink:

Jaycemonde
2014-09-27, 03:00 AM
But that's why female barbarians all wear it. 1) it removes all hair, 2) the pain hardens them and makes them invincible. :smallwink:

http://38.media.tumblr.com/72dce0dcfb5134d177c573b550cf4586/tumblr_n80p4r7uCi1tsuyomo1_400.gif

Serpentine
2014-09-27, 03:30 AM
Uh, some pretty subjective criteria there...Sexy Grim Reaper? :smallbiggrin:Something without "sexy" pointlessly appended to the front. If I'm going to dress up as a thing, I'm going to dress up as the gorram thing :smallannoyed:
(unless for ironic purposes and/or if that specifically suits the theme of an event. And I do kind of like the idea of an event theme which is "sexy versions of costumes that absolutely should not have sexy versions" - men especially included)

I'm firmly of the view that everybody looks good in chainmail. Not sexy bikini chainmail1, but the thigh-length real deal. Preferably steel, aluminum has entirely the wrong lustre, and doesn't hang right either. Combine with a nice wide belt at the hips to take some of the load off of the shoulders, and you're good to go. Nobody notices if the rest of the costume is horrible, because simply by showing up in 20 odd pounds of ironmongery, you instantly outclass everybody else in the room.
I tried on a friend's chain shirt once and consensus seemed to be that it suited me...

Rain Dragon
2014-09-27, 03:44 AM
I'm always told simply to dress as I normally do for Hallowe'en...
I don't really understand why.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/72dce0dcfb5134d177c573b550cf4586/tumblr_n80p4r7uCi1tsuyomo1_400.gif

That is an awesome gif.

Something without "sexy" pointlessly appended to the front. If I'm going to dress up as a thing, I'm going to dress up as the gorram thing :smallannoyed:
(unless for ironic purposes and/or if that specifically suits the theme of an event. And I do kind of like the idea of an event theme which is "sexy versions of costumes that absolutely should not have sexy versions" - men especially included)

Dress up as Thing!

http://help.berberber.com/members/artie/albums/still-more-pictures/4145-thing-addams-family-001.jpg

Asta Kask
2014-09-27, 06:35 AM
Something without "sexy" pointlessly appended to the front. If I'm going to dress up as a thing, I'm going to dress up as the gorram thing :smallannoyed:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/The_Ring_HONF_7185.jpg

Stringy-haired ghost girl

Brother Oni
2014-09-27, 07:52 AM

Just no.

Relevant song methinks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLfasMPOU4). :smalltongue:

There was a young lass which models mail bikinis and apparently the wire is of such a fine gauge the weight generally isn't an issue. Since the mail she used was also butted as far as I can tell, it can be smoothed out and sanded so that there's no rough edges on it, unlike proper riveted mail.

Dress up as Thing!

I remember somebody doing that, with his real hand inside a box and a fake hand appearing to hold it. I can't find a picture at the moment, but I did find a man in a box costume:

http://cdn.instructables.com/F0T/K3RQ/HPBZU0VT/F0TK3RQHPBZU0VT.LARGE.jpg

The alternative would maybe be a Cousin It costume? :smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2014-09-27, 09:06 AM
Mail condoms:

http://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs/the-galvanized-steel-chainmail-condom.jpeg

Not necessarily relevant to Serp's question (OUCH! The pain!), but I just wanted to show it.

Solse
2014-09-27, 10:18 AM
I want to go as Quote from Cave Story. It seems easy enough -- a hat, a black vest, and if I'm really feeling it, some white facepaint. Walking around with a gun, even if it's a cartoony cardboard one, will be harder though.

Last Halloween , I entered the office Costume Contest. I went as a wizard: long beard, hooded cloak, staff. I had a stein on my belt but filled it since they we serving ale.

I was announced as a dwarf.

I hope it was the stein and not reflective that I need to lose weight....:smallfrown:

I don't think that it was the weight. I've never seen any anorexic wizards in my life.

They should never have begun to begin with.

TheThan
2014-09-27, 06:31 PM
There was a young lass which models mail bikinis and apparently the wire is of such a fine gauge the weight generally isn't an issue. Since the mail she used was also butted as far as I can tell, it can be smoothed out and sanded so that there's no rough edges on it, unlike proper riveted mail.

You could put some sort of backing on It so it doesn’t pinch or chaff you skin.

If your manly enough you could rock a great sword and furry loincloth. (Although I prefer the skull codpiece).

Ravens_cry
2014-09-27, 07:45 PM
Dress up as Thing!

http://help.berberber.com/members/artie/albums/still-more-pictures/4145-thing-addams-family-001.jpg
Would Sexy Thing have its fingernails painted?

Brother Oni
2014-09-28, 02:38 AM
You could put some sort of backing on It so it doesn’t pinch or chaff you skin.

Ordinarily you would, but she didn't have any. Apparently she enjoyed the sensation and that's about as detailed as I can get here. :smalltongue:

If your manly enough you could rock a great sword and furry loincloth. (Although I prefer the skull codpiece).

Go for the completely unsubtle look and have a big mono-horned skull.

Oooo, you filthy person. :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2014-09-28, 04:05 PM
Oooo, you filthy person. :smalltongue:
I believe in miracles! :smallcool:

Ravens_cry
2014-10-08, 02:29 PM
Hey all. Part of my plans for Halloween is to use aluminium tape to cover a plastic helmet so it looks metallic. I got the idea after seeing none other than Adam Savage use it on a wooden sword (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1--0DLJv-8), and the effect looked pretty damn awesome, but I wonder if anyone else had experiance with this stuff for metalicization for a more complex surface, and, if so, if they had any tips.
Another friend suggested I use a a metallic spraypaint, and while that can do the job, it's never looked quite as good as I would like. Still, would this look better?

TheThan
2014-10-08, 02:36 PM
You could use some rust color paint to make it look as if it has rust on it. But you don’t want to cover the entire prop with it, just hit spots here and there.

I use a different method that actually takes longer, but I think looks nicer. However you need to know how to drybrush in order to use it.

Ravens_cry
2014-10-08, 02:38 PM
You could use some rust color paint to make it look as if it has rust on it. But you don’t want to cover the entire prop with it, just hit spots here and there.

I use a different method that actually takes longer, but I think looks nicer. However you need to know how to drybrush in order to use it.
I know the basic theory.

Madcrafter
2014-10-08, 02:39 PM
Hey all. Part of my plans for Halloween is to use aluminium tape to cover a plastic helmet so it looks metallic. I got the idea after seeing none other than Adam Savage use it on a wooden sword (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1--0DLJv-8), and the effect looked pretty damn awesome, but I wonder if anyone else had experiance with this stuff for metalicization for a more complex surface, and, if so, if they had any tips.
Another friend suggested I use a a metallic spraypaint, and while that can do the job, it's never looked quite as good as I would like. Still, would this look better?
Wrapping rounded/complex objects with flat coverings can be a real challenge (to the point where lots of people have done PhDs on it), but if you're extremely careful or the helmet isn't too complex it could work. You might still end up with a better look with the paint, even if it isn't quite as nice.

Might as well try it though, the tape is pretty cheap looks like.

TheThan
2014-10-08, 04:15 PM
I know the basic theory.

Well here goes, please note my photography skills needs work badly:

My paint job consists of five layers of paint:
Base coat of darkish brown (burnt cienna works well here)
Dry brush a layer of lighter brown
Dry brush a layer of medium orange
Dry brush a layer of light orange over it
Then dry brush a layer of metal over it.
The more metal you dry brush onto it the less rusted it will look.
Let me see if I can drag up a picture:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g42/TheThan/20141008_135929_zps5a8dae25.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/TheThan/media/20141008_135929_zps5a8dae25.jpg.html)

That’s a Nomad heavy warjack from Warmachine. I also lightly drybrushed some purple into as paint that hasn’t quite chipped off yet (it’s a jack from Llael, hence the colors). Its smoke stack is also bronze with green making it look like oxidization.
You can do the whole project like that or just do small spots.
I used to stipple the orange layers of paint on, but I think this makes it look a bit better than splotches of orange and brown. And for some reason, the patch of green grass between his feet does not look like a patch of green grass.

I would practice on scrap before trying it on your project.