PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed by monster resistances

Z3ro
2014-09-22, 03:45 PM
So it seems that, as long as a character has a magic weapon, they can get through any monster's resistances, from the bottom of the CR list all the way to the top. I know a lot of people didn't like the golfbag approach of 3.5, but this seems like a step in the opposite direction. There are plenty of ways to make your weapon count as magical, even without finding a single magical item. I'd have liked for there to be a little variety; for example, instead of needing strictly magical weapons, it would have been nice to have monsters with, say, resistance to all damage except from silver weapons.

Thoughts?

Ferrin33
2014-09-22, 04:02 PM
I actually don't mind as much, it means any magic weapon is valueable and it gives DM's an excuse to not hand them out like candy, making them feel more special when you do get them.

Stan
2014-09-22, 04:08 PM
I don't mind the golfbag approach but the change is consistent with the streamlining within 5e. It's not too hard to bring back, especially for rare special monster.

Person_Man
2014-09-22, 04:29 PM
In my 5E games several players switch between weapons all the time; bow, lance, thrown weapon, heavy weapon, etc, as needed. One of my least favorite parts of D&D has always been magic weapons, because once you buy or the DM gives you a sufficiently powerful magic weapon, you're usually locked into using it for a very long period of time. It defeats the entire point of having a list of many different weapons. I haven't seen the MM yet, but I'm glad that magic items are optional, and plan to ignore Resistance to non-magic weapons entirely.

Vowtz
2014-09-22, 04:45 PM
In my 5E games several players switch between weapons all the time; bow, lance, thrown weapon, heavy weapon, etc, as needed. One of my least favorite parts of D&D has always been magic weapons, because once you buy or the DM gives you a sufficiently powerful magic weapon, you're usually locked into using it for a very long period of time. It defeats the entire point of having a list of many different weapons. I haven't seen the MM yet, but I'm glad that magic items are optional, and plan to ignore Resistance to non-magic weapons entirely.

I agree, the thought of "you must he a wizard to defeat this monster" is something that I'm going to avoid.