PDA

View Full Version : Would you let your pc play a half dragon?

Rfkannen
2014-09-22, 04:58 PM
So it is a template, and as such it can be applied to pcs. So my question is, if a pc in a campaign you were running asked to play one, would you let them?

squashmaster
2014-09-22, 05:01 PM
If it's their heart's desire and they can come up with an interesting back story/motivation that fits with the setting.

Totema
2014-09-22, 05:03 PM
If it's a template, then why not, I say.

CyberThread
2014-09-22, 05:08 PM
Half dragons gain....

Resitance to a elemental damage type, blindsight 10 ft with darkvision 60ft.

Draconic Language, the breath type of a wyrmling of the dragon color they chose.

They arn't superduper powerful, but I would expect the other players may be a little restless on someone getting such a power up.

Falka
2014-09-22, 05:18 PM
I plan on giving it as a reward for one of my players if he does some X stuff during HotDQ.

Well, he has the "I was a dragon in a past life" background and he's a Paladin of Bahamut (Avenger), so he's got half foot in. As long as players aren't seeking it as a powergaming tool, I'm fine with cheese.

Callin
2014-09-22, 05:27 PM
Sounds like something I would add to a Dragonborn to make them a bit more appealing to my players.

Thrudd
2014-09-22, 05:33 PM
Half dragons gain....

Draconic Language, the breath type of a wyrmling of the dragon color they chose.

They arn't superduper powerful, but I would expect the other players may be a little restless on someone getting such a power up.

Why would they have both this and dragonborn? It seems highly redundant. So half-dragon is a dragonborn with better sight?

Human Paragon 3
2014-09-22, 05:41 PM
Why would they have both this and dragonborn? It seems highly redundant. So half-dragon is a dragonborn with better sight?

I think it's so you can have half-dragon dire wolves and half-dragon ogres and other shenanigans. Half-dragon titans. Whatever.

I would let a player do this if they really wanted to. I'd make up the difference by giving the other PCs gear, or letting them gain similar goodies through rituals (maybe a test of the Sphinx gives each player a unique power except the half-dragon since "he already has the tools he needs to fulfill his destiny).

Once you've hit everyone in your party with a slight power up, adjust the the difficulty of encounters slightly to match it.

Rfkannen
2014-09-22, 05:42 PM

Well flavor wise they are completly diffrent. Also this way you can have a half dragon dragonborn.

squashmaster
2014-09-22, 05:44 PM

Half-Dragon Dragonborn Sorcerer/Cleric/Paladin multi with Bahamut or Tiamat as deity.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-09-22, 05:55 PM
I think it's so you can have half-dragon dire wolves and half-dragon ogres and other shenanigans. Half-dragon titans. Whatever.

I would let a player do this if they really wanted to. I'd make up the difference by giving the other PCs gear, or letting them gain similar goodies through rituals (maybe a test of the Sphinx gives each player a unique power except the half-dragon since "he already has the tools he needs to fulfill his destiny).

Once you've hit everyone in your party with a slight power up, adjust the the difficulty of encounters slightly to match it.

It sounds like the template is roughly equivalent to a rare magic item, right?

TheCrowing1432
2014-09-22, 05:55 PM
"I said slay the dragon not lay the dragon"

Also the difference between being a half dragon and dragonborn is one is a race the other is a template.

Maybe you want the powers of a dragon but not the racial bonues from dragon born and much prefer human or whatever.

Human Paragon 3
2014-09-22, 06:00 PM
It sounds like the template is roughly equivalent to a rare magic item, right?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

CyberThread
2014-09-22, 06:03 PM
Well why have wood elves, high elves, dark elves, mystical elves, star(space)elves, forest elves, ancient elves, sun elves, aquatic elves, grey elves, moon elves, rockseer elves, snow elves, valley elves, wild elvesand winged elves oh and Lythari elves, gold elves, copper elves, Vil Adanrath elves, Aerenal elves, Athasian elves, ghost elves, painted elves, Poscadar elves, Zakharan elves, Marels elves, Grugach Eleves, Cha'asii eleves , Dargonesti elves, Dimernesti elves, Hulderfolk elves, Kagonesti eves, Kule ,o Faeriespace, Kule ,Mratzal , , Perianth,Spider Moon ,Wildspace

CyberThread
2014-09-22, 06:05 PM
oh I forgot

Alabaster,einheria,Svartalfar ,Darkon ,Shadow , Alf ,Brag ,fir, Muryan ,Portune,Powrie,Shee, sith , teg, Sithicu

But your totally untter right, I mean half dragons and dragonborn are just too similar why have them?

Thrudd
2014-09-22, 06:10 PM
Well flavor wise they are completly diffrent. Also this way you can have a half dragon dragonborn.

Flavor wise different but mechanic wise identical? The point must be that it is meant to be applied to monsters, not PC's. PC's can be dragonborn, which is practically the same thing. What would a dragonborn get from also being a half-dragon? Cheese? I guess it's just options.

As a DM, I would hesitate to allow a player to take anything from the monster manual. If it were meant for players, it would be in the player's handbook. Player's ideally aren't even supposed to look in the monster manual or DMG. They shouldn't consider anything contained within as an option unless the DM specifically brings it up. Lycanthropy is something that can happen to a PC during play, not something a player plans or chooses to get.

I know that each DM will decide all these things, and they are there as options. I personally would not allow PC half-dragons. The dragonborn's resistance and breath weapon are more than enough, they don't also need blindsight and darkvision (not that I have dragonborn in my settings, either).

pwykersotz
2014-09-22, 06:24 PM
I will definitely be allowing it. One of my regular gamers is in love with half-dragon characters. Naturally anyone in the party with him will have to have a similar boon, but it's just a way to have a high-powered game.

Thrudd
2014-09-22, 07:08 PM
oh I forgot

Alabaster,einheria,Svartalfar ,Darkon ,Shadow , Alf ,Brag ,fir, Muryan ,Portune,Powrie,Shee, sith , teg, Sithicu

But your totally untter right, I mean half dragons and dragonborn are just too similar why have them?

The difference is, half-dragon is a template applied to other races that makes them more powerful. The subraces of elves and dwarves are equal but different options. Half-elf and Half-orc aren't templates which you add to other races to give them more powers. The half-dragon template for a PC is just cheese...adding more power on top of what they already have with no cost. Choosing half-dragon doesn't force you to give up some abilities in exchange for others, as is the case with all other playable races.

Fluff-wise, sure, you can have both dragonborn and half-dragons in your world. But in terms of the game, there is no reason to give players two nearly identical options, one of which is strictly better. Adding half-dragon template to another race is strictly better than picking a dragonborn, and doubly better adding it to dragonborn (if the DM allows the cheese of picking two different breath weapons and resistances, one from your dragonborn heritage and one from your half-dragon heritage).

I strongly feel that the template is meant only for monsters and NPC's to make them more powerful, and shouldn't be available to players, and would advise against giving players this option. Used as a reward or a campaign goal, to magically become a half-dragon through play...well that is a bit different, and something that could be interesting. But as a starting character, big no-no.

edit: if I had a player that was in love with being a half-dragon, I would have them use dragonborn stats and fluff it as half-dragon.

Slipperychicken
2014-09-22, 07:49 PM
So it is a template, and as such it can be applied to pcs. So my question is, if a pc in a campaign you were running asked to play one, would you let them?

Just give him a Dragonborn and call it a half-dragon.

Mr.Moron
2014-09-22, 08:07 PM
For most games probably not. At baseline the game already has so much race sprawl I'm generally trimming the list rather than expanding it. Working from the standard list I don't feel the need for a 2nd variety of dragon-flavor either. I'm not a fan of D&Ds take on half-this/half-that whatever. I also generally find it much easier to get into the game I'm running when the party roughly reflects the world they are a part of.

It doesn't seem absurdly powerful or anything. It just strikes me as profoundly uncool and generally very lame. Having a PC that I think is profoundly uncool and terribly lame isn't going to put me in the proper mindset for running a game. It's better to just not put the option on the table than to spend a bunch of energy fighting my bias that could be spent on generating content.

pwykersotz
2014-09-22, 08:12 PM
For most games probably not. At baseline the game already has so much race sprawl I'm generally trimming the list rather than expanding it. Working from the standard list I don't feel the need for a 2nd variety of dragon-flavor either. I'm not a fan of D&Ds take on half-this/half-that whatever. I also generally find it much easier to get into the game I'm running when the party roughly reflects the world they are a part of.

It doesn't seem absurdly powerful or anything. It just strikes me as profoundly uncool and generally very lame. Having a PC that I think is profoundly uncool and terribly lame isn't going to put me in the proper mindset for running a game. It's better to just not put the option on the table than to spend a bunch of energy fighting my bias that could be spent on generating content.

But...but dragons! They're like half the game of Dungeons & Dragons! That makes half-dragons a quarter of the game! :smalltongue:

RustyArmor
2014-09-22, 08:22 PM
As with some of the others I would say no.
Want to be half dragon? Boom dragonborn, main reason they made it a base race is because every other person and there grandma wanted to be dragon things.
Not wanting to be a dragon born but being a half dragon on top of another race is just trying to grasp for more power.

SaintRidley
2014-09-22, 08:32 PM
Eh, maybe as a reward for a character for whom it makes sense. From level 1? No.

Person_Man
2014-09-22, 08:41 PM
I have not seen the actual 5E template yet, and have no idea how the 5E template rules work yet.

But my answer is yes. A player can be any race as long as they have a good story to go along with it.

In terms of game mechanics, whether or not they can use a specific template or not depends on the actual crunch. I'm a pretty reasonable DM. If its uber-amazing, then the other players are entitled to similarly amazing crunch. If it sucks, I'll probably give it to them for free. If its mediocre, I'll give it to them in exchange for a similar class ability or Ability Score modification or whatever, or just follow whatever the actual template rules are.

Daishain
2014-09-22, 09:18 PM
So far as I am concerned, if there is a good reason for it, and it won't disrupt the campaign, there should be almost no limits on the type of character someone can play.

Of course, if someone comes up with a halfdragon fiendtouched monstrous spider for the race, they had better come up with a yarn that will knock my socks off from the telling.

With that being said, shenanigans like the above can and will require rebalancing elsewhere. I would also consider the above to be quite disruptive unless the players had agreed beforehand to just cut loose.

D1ng
2014-09-23, 01:29 AM
Would letting him take the template in place of his feat at 4th level be workable? (Going by the logic that the dragonborn breath weapon + resistance roughly equals the bonus feat humans get in terms of racial balance).

MustacheFart
2014-09-23, 01:33 AM
(Going by the logic that the dragonborn breath weapon + resistance roughly equals the bonus feat humans get in terms of racial balance).

In my opinion, the human's bonus feat is superior to the dragonborn's breath weapon and whatever resistance they get. At least from a level 1 standpoint, it's very difficult to beat a feat at level 1.

eastmabl
2014-09-23, 01:52 AM

There are many reasons to have both.

1. Dragonborn are a true breeding species, while a half dragon comes from the coupling of a dragon and another species. This allows for a character to have come from a human mother (or some other humanoid).
2. Templates aren't necessarily meant for PCs, but it does show a DM to add some dragon flavor to an encounter.
3. Old school players might be opposed to using the dragonborn, and prefer to use the half dragon instead.

Rilak
2014-09-23, 01:58 AM
I would let him take the template, but the template also costs 1 attunement slot and other characters in the party get nice magic items they want in the upcoming adventures while he does not ;)
Also, I would probably not allow it at level 1.

eastmabl
2014-09-23, 02:05 AM
Would letting him take the template in place of his feat at 4th level be workable? (Going by the logic that the dragonborn breath weapon + resistance roughly equals the bonus feat humans get in terms of racial balance).

Doesn't the variant human get +1 to three stats, a feat and a skill proficiency? Equating all the dragonborn's abilities to a single feat fails to account for the skill proficiency... and fails to account for the half dragon's blind sense.

A better way to work feats in might be to use racial feats. For example -

Lesser draconic heritage - +1 to str or cha, resistance to a given energy type and dark vision 60 ft. Prerequisite- you speak draconic.

Greater draconic heritage - +1 to any stat, appropriate breath weapon, blind sense 10 ft. Prerequisite- lesser draconic heritage.

Admittedly, this style of feat might be more on line with 3.5 than 5e. Nevertheless, this is your game, so do what you think it's smart.

Socko525
2014-09-23, 09:00 AM
I would just make sure to keep an eye on the breath weapon. The breath weapon is treated as a Wyrmling of the given dragon, which means Recharge 5-6 (every turn you roll a d6 and on a 5 or 6 it is recharged and can be used again).

Just out of curiosity I looked at a red half dragon, that's 7d6 damage...so it really all depends on when you give the PC access to this template/if you house rule the damage.

After looking at the metallic dragons the damage is less intense but all the metallic dragons have two breath weapon options: a straight damage and then some sort of cc. Here's a quick breakdown:

Brass
-4d6 fire, 20' line, DC 11 Dex
-Sleep breath -15' cone, DC 11 Con, fall unconsious for 1 minute
Bronze
-3d10 lightning 40' line DC 12 Dex
-Repulsion breath-30'cone, DC 12 Str, knocks enemies back 30'
Copper
-4d8 acid, 20' line, DC 11 Dex
-Slowing breath-15' cone, DC 11 Con, can't use reactions, speed is halved, and it can't make more than one attack a turn, can only use eith an action or a bonus action not both for 1 minute
Gold
-4d10 fire, 15' cone, DC 13 Dex
-Weakening Breath-15' cone, DC 13 Str, disadvantage on Str based attack rolls, Str checks, and Str saving throws for 1 minute
Silver
-4d8 cold, 15' cone, DC 13 Con
-Paralyzing Breath-15' cone, DC 13 Con, paralyzed for 1 minute.

cobaltstarfire
2014-09-23, 02:58 PM
I'd allow it, but back when I DM'd I pretty explicitly told my players that if they play like power gamers a giant foot was going to come from the sky and kill their character Flying Circus style. (I also told them they'd get bonus xp for good roleplaying and clever tactics in general).

I don't care if someone is being cheesy or not, as long as they are a good team player and make an effort to create a backstory and roleplay their creation.

I think I'd probably tweak some things in the case of something like a Half Dragon Dragonborn. Like they wouldn't get double breath weapons or resistances, but they could mix and match. (like have a blue dragons resistances, and a silver dragons breath weapon).

Continuing on with the example If they were also dragonblood sorcerer, they could only choose blue or silver for their heritage.

Slipperychicken
2014-09-23, 03:08 PM
I still don't get why this guy can't just be a Dragonborn.

Shining Wrath
2014-09-23, 03:08 PM
I'd allow almost anything with a good story, but I'd also watch the relative power level to other characters.

A half-dragon fighter is one thing. A half-dragon Wizard is a near-certain sign of munchkinry afoot at my table.

Jacob.Tyr
2014-09-23, 03:17 PM
Doesn't the variant human get +1 to three stats, a feat and a skill proficiency? Equating all the dragonborn's abilities to a single feat fails to account for the skill proficiency... and fails to account for the half dragon's blind sense.

A better way to work feats in might be to use racial feats. For example -

Lesser draconic heritage - +1 to str or cha, resistance to a given energy type and dark vision 60 ft. Prerequisite- you speak draconic.

Greater draconic heritage - +1 to any stat, appropriate breath weapon, blind sense 10 ft. Prerequisite- lesser draconic heritage.

Admittedly, this style of feat might be more on line with 3.5 than 5e. Nevertheless, this is your game, so do what you think it's smart.
Down with the Feat Tree!

Falka
2014-09-23, 03:17 PM

Because it's not the same.

I want to RP a Drow, are you going to give me a dark elf?

mabriss lethe
2014-09-23, 03:30 PM
I haven't had a chance to either play or DM 5e yet: I'm leaning toward "No" for the first time I run it, though. I might (and probably will) change my mind somewhere along the way once I'm more comfortable with the system. After the first run through, I'll probably allow it.

Slipperychicken
2014-09-23, 03:39 PM
Because it's not the same.

I want to RP a Drow, are you going to give me a dark elf?

Drow and Dark Elves are literally just different words for the same race in 5e. In the subrace's name it says "Dark Elf(Drow)".

Dragonborn are people with dragon ancestry. They originated from dragons and humanoids coupling, and even get a scaling breath weapon and damage resistance appropriate to the type of dragon they're descended from. Just say that a dragon was his mum, call him a half-dragon, and you're done. You don't need to reinvent the wheel on this.

cobaltstarfire
2014-09-23, 03:42 PM

Dragonborn aren't half dragons that's why.

In Dragonlance dragonborn in 5e are draconians. Draconians are dragon eggs corrupted by magic to birth small humanoid dragons to act as soldiers and servants. They're still completely and fully dragons, just in a different weaker form.

In Forgotten Realms they're a dragon hating species (because they were enslaved by dragons), their origins are unknown, but some theories have their creation as similar to kobolds (as servants to dragonkind, either created deliberately, or springing up from the blood of a draconic god).

The PHB suggests that they are Kin to the dragons with draconic blood lines that determine their energy resistance/breath weapon. It also talks about how they once had different colors like true dragons, but generations of inbreeding has caused them to have a fairly uniform appearance, and makes it hard to tell what breath weapon and energy resistance they have.

There's nothing in their fluff in the settings they exist in that suggests that they are half dragons. A dm could easily refluff them to be half dragons if they want to.

Falka
2014-09-23, 03:52 PM
Drow and Dark Elves are literally just different words for the same race in 5e. In the subrace's name it says "Dark Elf(Drow)".

Dragonborn are people with dragon ancestry. They originated from dragons and humanoids coupling, and even get a scaling breath weapon and damage resistance appropriate to the type of dragon they're descended from. Just say that a dragon was his mum, call him a half-dragon, and you're done. You don't need to reinvent the wheel on this.

Uh, no. Dark elves aren't Drow. Drow are Drow. Dark elves are the ones with brownish skin and dark hair - at least, in the Forgotten Realms. That most dark elves were turned into Drow after the Crown Wards is a different issue.

Trying to say that a cart is the same thing as a wagon just because both happen to have wheels doesn't make it true.

You've just made up the lore for Dragonborn. It says nowhere that they descend from human-dragon couplings. In 3.5, they were created by Bahamut as a counterpart for the spawn of Tiamat. And their lore states that they've got their own culture.

Daishain
2014-09-23, 04:02 PM
There's nothing in their fluff in the settings they exist in that suggests that they are half dragons. A dm could easily refluff them to be half dragons if they want to.
Yeah, personally I'd rather they be refluffed back to what they used to be. Strong willed individuals of the standard races who pledged themselves to a worthy cause, and were granted the strength of the dragons to aid them in that pursuit.

Much more versatile and interesting than the reskinned lizardfolk they are now. Especially if they expanded the concept with more mantles (and abilities associated with them) to champion.

Broken Twin
2014-09-23, 04:32 PM
I would probably make them sacrifice something for it, but I would be quite willing to let a player use a template. The template-as-feat idea is probably what I'd use. On a template by template basis, of course.

As to dragonborn vs half-dragon... I dunno. Personally, I don't really like dragonborn, as I tend to think they're just lizardfolk refluffed into something 'cooler', but I understand the appeal. And the difference between the two is obvious enough. One is a complete unique species, the other is a descendant of a dragon with an eye for inter-species romance. How similar they are depends on fluff, but they serve different mechanical functions. "Dragon-person" vs "person with dragon abilities".

eastmabl
2014-09-23, 07:11 PM
Down with the Feat Tree!

Yeah, personally I'd rather they be refluffed back to what they used to be. Strong willed individuals of the standard races who pledged themselves to a worthy cause, and were granted the strength of the dragons to aid them in that pursuit.

Much more versatile and interesting than the reskinned lizardfolk they are now. Especially if they expanded the concept with more mantles (and abilities associated with them) to champion.

To use feats to build a half-dragon without the complication of a feat tree, or to bring dragonborn back to their RoD roots, we could use themed feats. For example:

Dragon Tongue:+1 Cha, you now speak Draconic, appropriate breath weapon once per short rest.

Dragon Sight: +1 Wis, Darkvision 60 ft., Blindsense 10 ft. (maybe proficiency in Perception?)

Dragon Heart: +1 Con, appropriate energy resistance.... and something else. Maybe proficiency bonus on Constitution ability checks? That seems weak.

You could consider a Dragon feat for each of the ability scores with appropriate names (Dragon Might [Str], Dragon Mind [Int], Dragon Grace [Dex]).

Knaight
2014-09-23, 11:40 PM
It really depends on the game. If I'm running something where the core themes and core aesthetic are in an area where fantasy species aren't even all that relevant, sure. I don't particularly care, and the player wants it, it goes in. If I'm running something where the core themes and aesthetic conflict with fantasy races, they're out. A half dragon is likely to get cut early, but elves, dwarves, etc. are also routinely cut out.

It's pretty much the same deal as anything else atypical, really. The more typical stuff can be safely assumed to be in just about any game I'd use 5e for (humans, just about everything on the equipment list, backgrounds in routine professions, etc.), but if there's something more unusual, such as material that is stylistically pulled from an unusual source, it goes in unless it conflicts with something that I actually care about in the setting. Some settings are a lot more locked down and defined than others, so your character may or may not be able to have a mahuatil or whatever.

Sartharina
2014-09-24, 12:07 AM
I currently have a half-dragon Dragonborn fighter in my party, which I okayed partially because I feel dragonborn are a bit underpowered, and partially because he said he was going to be a dragon sorcerer. He's a Copper/Red dragon mix.

TheDeadlyShoe
2014-09-24, 12:21 AM
"Okay, you can play half-dragon, but only if I can make the Skyrim DRAGONBORN!!! speech every session."

archaeo
2014-09-24, 01:26 AM
I think these templates are useful inasmuch as it's easy to ditch the dragon fluff and turn it into a more generic power-up.

For example, in my forthcoming-maybe-someday campaign, the world's big MacGuffins provide endless magical power (the equivalent of trading your stats in for, say, an Ancient Gold Dragon) but often have the effect of affecting you and your bloodline forever. While descendants of MacGuffin users are often half-orcs, dragonborns, or tieflings (refluffed for my setting), people who themselves have used the MacGuffin may over time become so tainted that they receive the half-dragon template, or whichever other template seems appropriate; a particularly powerful MacGuffin-user might get the Shadow Dragon template!

blindfish
2016-02-15, 12:10 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I wanted to share my idea on creating a PC Dragon character.

I have a new to the game player who is desperate to play as a dragon. Not a dragon born but a dragon. After talking them down from having an ancient dragon size and power and explaining things like balance and power etc I got them to list the abilities they wanted from being a dragon. It boiled down to 3 things

- Breath Fire
- Fly (happy to have limited range, carrying ability and stamina)
- Look like a dragon and can bite and claw people

They have come up with a reasonable back story/rationale.
"Human peasant that survived a dragon attack on their village. During the attack they got cursed with a variant of the Polymorph spell that makes them default to Dragon form"

In effect I am planning that their base stats when a dragon being (joining a new campaign at level 3) based on combining a Brass Dragon Wyrmling with the dragon born race with ranger abilities.

To try and keep things balanced/sensible I am building the character to have no bonus traits from background and I am taking 1 or the ranger spell slots for a nerfed Polymorph spell that can only return them to their human form. But if they use up their spell slots they are trapped in dragon form until they have had a long rest.

AC 16
Hit Dice d10 (they want to be a ranger in human form so seemed easiest to use d10)
Hit Points 22 (at level 3)
Speed 30ft., burrow 15ft. (They hasn't asked for burrowing so not giving it), fly 60ft (but limited to 1 hour flying per day (recharge with long rest) also they can't carry a creature medium or above only small or tiny)

STR 12 (+1)
DEX 16 (+3)
CON 10 (0)
INT 8 (-1)
WIS 15 (+2)
CHA 9 (-1)

Proficiencies (+2 proficiency bonus)
Saving Throws Str +3, Dex +5
Skills: Animal Handling, Stealth, and Survival (she only gets 3 skills)

Like a Dragonborn she will have a breath weapon of fire
5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save)
DC for saving through 10. A creature takes 2d6 damage on a failed save. and half as much damage on a successful one.
Also they have fire resistance (not sure what to do about recharge, maybe once during human form between short rest and Breath Weapons (Recharge 5-6) when in dragon form.

In dragon form they can
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft. one target. Hit: 7 (1d10 + 2) piercing damage.
Claw Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5ft. one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) slashing damage.

The human form caused by the modified polymorph spell lasts until they drop the form as an action or they take 11 points of damage in human form. Maybe add a rule that they return to their cursed dragon form when they use dragon breath?

In human form they will be a pretty standard human ranger with leather armour so AC of 14 but I am thinking of keeping all the same base stats/modifiers.

What do people think, is this overpowered or just creative play?

I am thinking of this more like a werewolf curse. Already thinking it sets up a future dilemma of if they will want to have the curse removed and no longer default into dragon but also loose that power.

Any suggestions greatly received. basically its a dragon born ranger who can fly and pretend to be human but they pay for that with no background bonus and loose one ranger spell slot

MaxWilson
2016-02-15, 12:24 PM
Half dragons gain....

Blindsight + breath weapon is actually pretty amazing. You can do pretty awesome stuff with blindsight.

I'd allow a PC to play this, in the same way that I've given out powerful magic items like a Robe of the Archmagi at the very start of a campaign, or designated one PC as the crown prince of the PCs' kingdom, or mutated a PC with a weird magical power like natural armor or regeneration: with the understanding that this does not set a precedent, and that you better realize that this PC is unusual and will not be replaced by like kind if he dies. It's no different really from a player rolling two 18s in stat generation--happens sometimes, awesome when it does, but you shouldn't count on it every time.

LibraryOgre
2016-02-15, 12:58 PM
The Mod Wonder: Thread Closed for Necromancy.

Sir cryosin
2016-02-15, 12:59 PM
We had a power gamer in are game he talked are DM to craft a dragon scale studded leather in a month in game. Then a couple of sessions later convince are DM to have the armor to have once a day the armor can polymorph him in to a young white dragon. Then he was trying to convince are DM to let him play a half dragon. It was funny are dragonborn fighter found a book as we checked it it had a ritual on how become a half dragon then the druid had a fight with him and he left the party taking the book with him it funny because the player didn't find out what the book was tell after the character with it was gone. Are DM doesn't say no but he makes it almost impossible for use with things like that the druid want a storm giant belt dm said sure you need to fine these different materials to craft it and never ran into any of them. Then I had a character that in game had a fallout with the party and showed back up to get revenge the Dm told me you have a belt of storm giant the druid didn't even know and it was right there in his face. Are DM has a bit of a sadistic side