PDA

View Full Version : Hunters of Meng Xiang - "Treading Where Gods Hide" (IC) [Fate/Tianxia]

NyuBomber
2014-09-22, 06:37 PM
So sayeth Heaven
For each movement, a shadow
Each hero, a fiend
Each mountain, a valley
The sun and moon
Day and night
Yin and yang
Balance is eternal
So sayeth Heaven

One of Heaven's great furnace doors must have been left open right over the lands of Central continent. For several weeks, the merciless sun besieged the farmer's fields, the hunter's forests, and the people's roads. The weather-shamans said it would not relent any time soon. Every job was made harder in this sort of heat

While people who had to work were miserable, this sort of weather suited those younger and without as many responsibilities just fine. The daily after school ritual shifted from running home to running to the local ponds, streams, and lakes -- always with a contingent of guardians in tow, for obvious, otherworldly reasons.

Such it was this day, in the year 433, in the city of Shengmen, the Holy Gate. The sun was on its downward arc, but that would bring as little relief today as it did any other day in this phenomena. And, just like any other day, a group of children were accompanied by their teacher and a pair of soldiers to one of the natural ponds that dotted the landscape inside the city. This particular one was located in this mostly-commercial-and-crafting southeastern district of the city.

While they played and laughed, however, their guardians watching, life when on around them. People shopped, people worked their afternoon shifts, and people talked. In fact, the talk was hushed, the type of tone one takes when the night is silent and any number of ears could b listening in. The teacher and the soldiers, and anyone else around who had stopped to do so, were conversing on a singular topic -- the rumored burglary of the Forbidden Halls. What was taken, nobody could say at all. What was being done about it, no one could say for certain, aside from observing that more soldiers and Hound Clan walked the dirt-and-cobblestone streets. Lion Clan, ever the loyalists, stood ready to assist if called upon, but the headmaster, Lady Mu, the Demon of Spears, had made it clear that no matter what was whispered, the clan's priority was in the dispatching of spirits, not solving mundane mysteries.

Such as it was now. Yesterday, a concerned woman reported that a neighbor of hers was exhibiting strange behaviors: talking to things that were not there and quieting when he got suspicious of eavesdroppers; loud bangs and creaks coming from his home late at night. She did not give any further information -- superstition reigns supreme, and more than a few people who dared speak-up in the past had gone missing -- so it falls on those Lions who answered the call to investigate.

Or, perhaps they were in this busy section of Shengmen for an ulterior motive.

It was up to fate.

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?373343-Fate-Tianxia-Hunters-of-Meng-Xiang-quot-Treading-Where-Gods-Hide-quot-(OOC)&p=18150004)

The Setting

High Concept
Wuxia-Inspired High Fantasy

Trouble
The Black Veil

Issue 1
[Current] An Unprecedented Robbery

Issue 2
[Current] A Veilist, Here?

Issue 3
TBD

Main Setting Info Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?367403-Hunters-of-Meng-Xiang-Main-Thread)
Aditional Elements/Themes/Etc.: Honor & Glory, The Nature of Power, Legacies

Actana
2014-09-23, 04:49 PM
Li Feng, styled Xiangwei

"Remember, we are here to investigate, not cause a commotion." Li Feng says as holds his hand to shield his eyes from the setting sun as he observed the city and crowds in front of him. Dressed in an ornate red battle robe and holding his glaive in his other hand, the warrior's stature on the street seemed to shrink those of the common folk by sheer virtue of the imposing figure. Though being entirely honest, he did not know why he had been sent for this job, as there were many people more qualified than him. Regardless, it was a break from his teachings, and this time he had only a few students with him. He preferred it that way: teaching suffered when there were too many students under a single master.

Turning to the shen-lieren with him, Li Feng observes their reactions to the city and its crowds. "Have any of you been here before?" he asks after a moment of silence.

silphael
2014-09-24, 07:51 PM
"Sifu, you know perfectly well I'm not here to cause ruckus."

Although all the honorific are -somewhat clumsily- used, the way Mi-Yuan pronounce those make "sifu" hear like "old man" and the whole sentence transpire of slight exasperation.

"In this town, I've been once, so except the occasionnal restaurant I can't really give you directions. There is, however, a very nice fried food nearby."

He readjusts his black and white outfit, making sure it was as impressive as always. His calm pose, sure to always be where he belongs, made it all the more impressive, and he seemed pleased to break the teachings he was -somehow- following.

Actana
2014-09-25, 03:17 PM
"You do not need to call me that, Mi-yuan. Not while we're in the field..." Li Feng says, looking around the city. "So to speak, anyway. Titles and etiquette have less meaning here. Unless we're on clan grounds or in an official situation, you can drop the Sifus. It doesn't suit you anyway", he adds with a smile.

"And fried rice sounds good right about now. We can discuss our plans under a meal. You know where we're going, so lead the way." he steps aside to allow Mi-yuan to take the head.

NyuBomber
2014-09-25, 07:25 PM
Shengmen, the Holy Gate - Southeast Crafters District - Summer - ~5:00 PM

The roads in the Crafters District were mostly dirt, well-worn and tracked by the frequent to-and-fro of wagons, mules, and people. There were a few main roads, like spokes on a wheel leading to the center of Shengmen, and those were nice and cobblestone-laden.

Just off of one of these main avenues was Mi-Yuan's favored food station, a hole-in-the-wall of an older ironworking facility whose previous occupants had moved to bigger, more advanced lodgings deeper in the city. The food wasn't exceptional, the chairs and tables were rickety, sanitation was questionable, and the alcohol was watered down, but damn if the prices weren't right and the fried rice filling. Such was The Hammer and Nailer.

The dinner crowd was just getting in, which, in this sense, means about five individuals in the whole place. The proprietor, Old Chang lit up at the return of one of his favored customers.

"There's the young buck, right on time," Chang said, flashing his signature gap-toothed smile. "Can I finally get you to at least try the Shengmen Surprise? Maybe I can sell your, uh...friend? What's your name, sir?"

Old Chang eyed Li's robes, half-recognizing the value of the clothes he donned himself in, and changing the tone of this voice to something more tense, more measured.

Actana
2014-09-26, 02:27 AM
"Li Feng", he introduces himself politely with a customary (and quite uncharacteristically traditional for the environment) greeting, folding his hands in front while bowing slightly. "Unfortunately I must decline any surprises for now, as I feel there will be time enough for them later." he says slightly worryingly but still in a polite tone, hoping to dispel any reservations the proprietor might have.

Having ordered and once seated, Li Feng rolls up his sleeves in preparation for the meal. "We should meet up with the others before heading towards our destination. Hopefully finding them will not prove too great a challenge."

Laughing_Dragon
2014-09-26, 09:34 AM
The journey had been long and hard, walking the Silk Road such as it was and with the heat. His temper had been short through it, but he managed to restrain himself from getting into fights with every Hound Clan dog he happened to pass on the way. Treading deeper and deeper into the heart of the empire and the heart of his most hated enemies, the Hound Clan and their enablers the Lion Clan. He would brave it though, to find and recruit the person who had so completely embarrassed the Royals and their supposedly impregnable vault. That or take that which had been taken, by force if necessary.

He had arrived in Shengmen early in the day and spent it wandering through and familiarizing himself with its layout. The relative positions of the major landmarks and the places where Hound and Lion seemed to congregate most. These of course would be places to avoid, while he also eyed the markets and gave the local news rags a read. Now with the sun setting he found himself outside a little restaurant, just as a pair of Lions came prowling down the street.

One older, one younger.

His eyes widened slightly as he realized their relationship, the deference the younger was giving the older. It was of course normal to respect one's elders, but there was more to it than that. He recognized it from his own 'training'. The respect that his teacher demanded but never earned and never proved worthy of. For the moment it was jealousy that drove him into the shop after them, garbed in the clothes of a eastern central continent peasant. He wished to observe them, one up them and show that he needed no 'Master' to be powerful. He smiled at the man who shared much of his name, "Shengmen Surprise? Sounds like an adventure," he didn't care that he was intruding now into their conversation, all the better really. Lions, lapdogs and apologists all, they had a long way to go to earn his neutrality, leave aside his respect.

silphael
2014-09-27, 05:11 AM
"Of course it is an adventure! But the danger is more about that : Old Chang, did they came back to bully you?"

A week ago, Mi-Yuan had made a pair of apparent bully flee out of the restaurant, without really thinking about the consequences. He now knows it was reckless, and that if those were backed by an underground organisation he now has a lot more ennemies, but he doesn't really care.

NyuBomber
2014-09-27, 08:32 PM
Shengmen, the Holy Gate - The Hammer & Nailer Diner (Southeast Crafters District) - Summer - ~5:00 PM

"One moment, sir" Old Chang said to the new customer, waving him off. Regulars to the Hammer & Nailer knew that Old Chang could get easily distracted, but newcomers could not know that. Maybe it was his clothes, or just the fact that two Lions were here before him.

Turning back to Mi-Yuan, he continued, "Oh yes, those no-good, dirty Mad Bull kids? You taught them good, young buck. I haven't seen hide or hair of them since then. not even a new vulgarity painted on my clean walls. Thank you for that. In fact, let me get you and your, uh, Mr. Feng, let me make this order on the house. It's the least I could do. And, when I get back, you can tell me all bout your other friends!

"They, uh, don't get a free bowl, though." With that, Old Chang disappeared into the backroom.

With so few patrons currently, there were only a couple of conversations. One pair, a man and woman, discussed plans to host the woman's mother for a stay in their home. The other pair, two men, complained about the heat.

silphael
2014-09-27, 09:59 PM
Raising a hand when Old Chang proposed to offer the food, Mi-Yuan explained :

"Old Chang, I can't accept : would I, won't I be as them ? I am not here to ask food for protection, because I know how it ends. I don't want that kind of power."

Actana
2014-09-28, 04:41 AM
Li Feng sits back, watching his student handle the situation. Whatever he decides would be the right way, Li Feng would follow. While they had enough money to be able to pay for meals, there was the matter of offending the owner by refusing. Meanwhile, he would gauge Old Chang's reaction to the refusal. Just in case he would need to step in.

((Creating an Advantage with Empathy on Old Chang to discover a relevant aspect of his to the situation and to gain free invocations.))

[roll0] +1 = 2

Laughing_Dragon
2014-09-28, 08:00 AM
Cheng stood by, realizing that he had now the option to sit and quietly listen to the Lions around him or he could say something. "There is no adventure without a little danger," he replied with a shrug, "If food proves to be too adventurous for you, I fear for the empire." He shrugged again and ambled over to a seat well within listening distance of the two, he made no attempt as yet to not look like he was listening. A lion cub too afraid of some restauranteur's special and his aging master, at least the latter seemed to know how to speak.

NyuBomber
2014-09-28, 11:58 AM
Shengmen, the Holy Gate - The Hammer & Nailer Diner (Southeast Crafters District) - Summer - ~5:00 PM

Old Chang returned with two steaming, large, grey-bowled chunks of fried rice, firmly setting the meals and chopsticks in front of his customers.

"Power? It's free food," Chang said, smiling and bowing awkwardly once more. "You are most gracious and I'm sure your friend will commend you for taking life so seriously, but this is a gift, not bribery. Heh, I certainly will not be giving you free food whenever you stop by from now on. I'd go out of business!"

Passive Opposition Rating: +1 (Average)
Li Feng's Empathy roll: +2

Result: Success - Old Chang gains aspect Grateful for Help; Li Feng earns one free invocation of Chang's Grateful for Help

The Eastern-looking stranger earns an evil eye from Chang, however. "And who in the Veil are you? You think him a coward? I won't have it, wait here." Chang moves to the back again, giving one more bow to Li and Mi-Yuan before disappearing. After a few seconds, the sound of clanging pans and boiling water echoed out from around the corner.

The conversations paused momentarily to keep up with what was going on, then resumed.

Actana
2014-09-28, 12:24 PM
Li Feng thanks Old Chang for the food, and as it lies on the table cooling, he turns towards the Easterner, acknowledging him curtly. "Just like picking fights, the wise man also picks their adventures accordingly. Yet I fail to see why you have picked this particular fight. Have my companion and I offended you in some respect?"

Laughing_Dragon
2014-09-28, 02:35 PM
Cheng winces, he didn't like how this was going already. Over stepped the line, he had meant to antagonize them a little, but had forgotten how far from home he was. The plainly clothed man swung himself out of the seat he was in and stood, the commotion coming from the kitchen was quite ominous. Here were not the people who practically worshiped the ground he walked on, that called him Cheng the Generous. These people didn't know the deprivations of the Hound Clan, or their enablers the Lions. Here they were the law and he was just some Easterner. That word bit into him, it made it hard to do what he knew he had to.

He bowed ritually, hiding the grimace that formed as he did, "My apologies, my tongue is sometimes too quick for me to catch." He knew they all loved it when people subjugated themselves to them, more over though, fighting them would be a bad idea, to get his face on posters or his description shouted from the street corners, leave aside the very real possibility of being battered into the ground by them. It had been hard enough to get out this far, he had no desire to make his trip harder. Particularly not when his contacts were practically non-existent this far from Home and finding this thief would be hard enough as was. It made him think though, the Lions could be useful in that regard. Assuming of course they didn't get into a fight.

Actana
2014-09-28, 03:10 PM
Li Feng observes the man with reservation, but as he makes his ritual bow, Li Feng is quick to get him up again. "No, no. There is no need for such courtesies. No offense was had, there is no need to apologize." he says with a polite yet reserved smile. "I must apologize, I have not introduced myself yet. I am Li Feng, styled Xiangwei", he adds his courtesy name with a small polite bow. "And this is my... Ah, traveling companion and formal student, Mi-yuan Jiawu. But do not mistake the formalities for their assumptions; he is as much my equal in combat as I am his." Li Feng extends his hand towards their table. "Would you care to join us for this dinner..." his voice trails off, expecting the Easterner to give his name in return. There was no reason to antagonize this man, and despite his earlier rudeness he seemed a peculiar sort, one to provide interesting conversation during the meal.

Laughing_Dragon
2014-09-29, 09:07 AM
The reaction he was getting was not the one he'd entirely expected. But it was far preferable to the one he could have expected from his Master or the man's goons. They would have already begun a beating. He let himself be returned to a normal position, though the tension in his body was more than evident and would be bare to both the martial artists. "Well met, Li Feng, styled Xiangwei, Mi-yuan Jiawu." He bowed his head some to them, aiming at maintaining some semblance of social niceties toward the two Lions, "I am Cheng," he hesitated, neither of his titles would be appropriate here, more over he didn't particularly like one and was sorely failing to live up to the other, "Just Cheng."

As he stood his mind turned, realizing he'd made a fairly critical error already, not planning for the eventuality of explaining why a peasant was this far from his home. With as much coin as he had on him at that. The lowly bandit was quickly feeling that a tactical withdrawl was in order, but respect was needed here, tact too, "I would join you but it seems that I have offended others, even though I have not offended you in particular. I fear that I may get more adventure than I had been looking for in Old Chang's Shengmen Surprise.."

silphael
2014-09-29, 05:53 PM
"Just Cheng ? Take place and I'm pretty sure you'll soon be able to choose yourself a name, or make yourself one ! And if that adventure isn't dangerous enough for you, nothing will."

After that sentence, he added :

"If that's the case I'm gonna accept, Old Cheng. But I'll pay for the... other Cheng.

NyuBomber
2014-09-29, 10:10 PM
Chang emerges from the kitchen, perilously balancing two covered woks in either hand. Curling wisps of green vapor emerge from cracks where the pans and lids meet.

"Chang, young buck. I didn't get this old just to have my name confused. As for payment, sit down. You two, young buck and the Easterner."

Old Chang slams the woks down and pulls the lids off. After the steam clears, what's left a bubbling stew of rice...at least you think it's rice, it's kind of green...and some vegetables? None like you'd ever seen, though.

The centerpiece of the Shengmen Surprise concoction, however, was no doubt the thick cross-section of squid tentacle sat on top of everything else. At at least 1.5 inches thick and as large as a boy's leg was around, it loomed, awaiting those daring enough to try it. To look at, it wasn't jarring, if not pleasant -- shimmering blue skin on one side, bright white throughout the rest of it. The smell, on the other hand...must've been how the harbor smelled at high noon.

"Ugh, no!"

"Mei, wait!"

The woman stormed out, retching, and the man followed.

Old Chang laughs. "Yea, it tends to do that! Only woman I've ever known to stand up to the Shengmen Surprise is, uh...well, Lady Mu, the Demon of Spears!"

The two men who were previously discussing the heat were now fully engrossed in the proceedings, as their cheers and goading indicated.

"And that's why I'm telling you this, young buck. You show this Easterner what it means to be a Lion. First man to finish their meal eats for free and the loser pays for both. What say you two to a, uh, friendly competition?"

silphael
2014-09-30, 01:22 AM
Was an answer even needed ? Mi-Yuan started eating, not even asking what it was, engulfing chunk of rice after blue pieces.

Actana
2014-09-30, 02:11 AM
Li Feng looks at the surprise with amused eyes, but prefers to stay away from it, keeping to his regular bowl of rice. Indeed, if everyone here was to participate in this... Competition, then the results might not be best for the mission. Mi-yuan was impossible to stop once he had started, so Li Feng decided to just allow the two younglings do their thing, giving Mi-yuan a silent approving gleam in his eye as he watched on.

Laughing_Dragon
2014-09-30, 08:12 AM
Cheng was less eager, though see that two were made, made him sure that if nothing else what was before him was probably not poisoned. His stomach made an eager noise, not having been filled since early in the day and so he sat down, "Very well then." He began a more strategic eating, leaving more rice for later, easier to be gobbled up once the dish was mostly consumed. Normally he would not have gone for such an activity, but he simply couldn't back down from a challenge to best a Lion.

NyuBomber
2014-10-02, 06:54 PM
Biting into the mottled green presumed-vegetables released pungent plumes of steam. The rice was oily, slippery to try to grasp between chopsticks alone. The squid tasted similarly to how it smelled and was three times as rubbery as it's gleaming flesh looked...but, the whole meal was not unpleasant. Everything miraculously, surprisingly, came together to enhance the oceanic taste of the squid. It was tough to actually get down, but it was delicious once one did so!

Of course, this was a competition, and so Cheng and Mi-Yuan may've been going at the dish faster than would be advisable by those in the medical field. Mi-Yuan's gung ho pace seemed like a good idea at the start -- seemed. Going against its name, the Shengmen Surprise made no attempt to suddenly pounce on Mi-Yuan, instead choosing to creep up, to stalk his constitution, to let it know that, oh yes, it was there and there would be no escape from it today. Those beads of sweat, that rising-and-sinking feeling in his stomache, that growing feeling that today would not be his day, all bore down on him similarly.

Cheng, meanwhile, consumed the dish at a more reasoned pace, the pace of a man who knew how to assess the situation and adjust accordingly. Shengmen Surprise sunk low in his belly, but it stayed there, and it was good and filling. In fact, if he didn't know better, he would dare someone to punch him in the gut right now and find that nothing would come up.

Shengmen Surprise Passive Opposition Rating: +2

Mi-Yuan Physique Roll to Overcome the Shengmen Surprise: (4d3-8+2)[1]
Cheng Physique Roll to Overcome the Shengmen Surprise: (4d3-8+3)[3]

Results
Cheng wins the contest!

Cheng's Overcome is successful. Cheng gains situational aspect Toughness of the Shengmen Surprise (this aspect is temporary for the scene).

Mi-Yuan's Overcome fails. Silphael has two choices: Mi-Yuan may choose to stop eating, OR Mi-Yuan may push to finish the meal and take the mild consequence Surprise Nausea (this consequence will recover on its own without assistance, or be sped up by recovery attempts). Either choice will be appropriately reacted to in-character.

The two remaining men had paired off to encourage their chosen competitor. Cheng's fan gave him hearty pats on the back, while Mi-Yuan's encouraged him to at least finish.

For his part, Old Chang looked surprisingly unmoved over the Lion's loss. He was probably just happy to sell two meals.

Actana
2014-10-03, 03:15 AM
Li Feng had been eating his rice in a calm pace while watching the competition. As it concludes, he gave a hearty laugh at the result. "It appears the newcomer would be the more fortuitous one. My respects, Cheng", he said before turning to Mi-yuan. "Take your time, we are not in such a hurry as to endanger our health by eating too rashly."

Laughing_Dragon
2014-10-04, 02:27 AM
He had been worried a little at first the lion's pace though was greedy, but as his pace remained steady he noticed his foe slow and eventually come to a near stop, their face taking on a hint of pallor. In the end his victory had been assured by the iron gut he'd been graciously granted over the years of having to eat anything and everything during training to keep his energy up. He smiled, clearly proud of himself, "A valiant effort, but it seems I am done, thank you for the wonderful meal!" He patted his stomach a few times and nodded to Old Chang, "That was quite a meal indeed, I can see why you had been encouraging him to try it." He could not suppress the grin that spread across his face, a victory for him over a Lion, even one so petty as an eating contest was one to be savored.

silphael
2014-10-04, 06:29 AM
Painfully finishing his meal, Mi-Yuan began feeling slightly nauseous. Through it, he carefully gathered chi, reparting the charge all along the meridian, making his palor slowly disappear.

"As I said, it's on me! Congrats, young Cheng."

NyuBomber
2014-10-04, 04:34 PM

Old Chang let out a laugh as he took the dollars from Mi-Yuan. "You fought the good fight, young buck, that's all anybody could ask for. And it seems I underestimated you, Easterner. Uh, Cheng, was it?" Old Chang gave him a bow. "Even in my age, it seems I still need to learn to not be so presumptuous, heh!"

"You're damn right, you do, Chang." A new voice, full of bass and pride, bellowed from the entrance to The Hammer and Nailer. A broad, pony-tailed and dark man, draped an ornate green robe red fur sash, stepped into the diner. His left hand was clutched behind his back; in his right hand, he flipped a large jade coin between his fingers.

"Jun Gu, what the Hell are you doing here," Chang spat, taking a step back in the process.

"How rude. Calm down, Chang. As I understand it, you've recently had some Mad Bull problems?" Jun eyed the Lions and the Easterner with a soft smirk. "And that you're now paying mercenaries with food to protect you from children?"

silphael
2014-10-05, 03:22 AM
Finally!

Standing up, Mi-Yuan turned toward the newly arrived :

"Ju Gun ? Then I guess you're the sworn protector of this place ? You were late, and now you are wrong : I'm not taking any payment!"

Actana
2014-10-05, 11:43 AM
Li Feng kept sitting as the newcomer arrives but shifted his eyes subtly towards him. The robe he wore looked significant, and despite Mi-yuan's insistence on confrontation, it seemed best for now to keep observing the situation. Li Feng drew on his knowledge to figure out just who exactly this person was, and whether or not there was something that could be used against him.

[roll0] to identify an aspect on the person and to create an advantage on said aspect.

Laughing_Dragon
2014-10-05, 01:15 PM
Cheng sat in the booth, unmoved by the appearance of Ju Gun. He'd seen bigger bullies than that poor sap. As it was he sat up a bit straighter, placed one hand on the table and the other hand on his sparse chin, "I wouldn't take from Old Chang even a single grain of rice to assist him against thugs, it is not my way, it should not be anyone's way. If one expects to get paid by everyone they help, then they breed entitlement and the base corruption that always comes with it." He watched the two lions, they could more than handle this. It would help to keep his potency under wraps for now, though he imagined they already had some idea that he had training, the extent and the nature of it he preferred for now to keep quiet.

NyuBomber
2014-10-05, 02:30 PM
Li Feng's Lore roll: (4d3-4)[0]
Jun Gu's Passive Opposition: +3

Result: Failure - No advantage is created, no knowledge given besides the fact that you have no knowledge of the subject.

Li Feng, like all the good Lion Clan leaders, may have stayed out of mundane local matters, but made it a point to at least be aware of potential ne'er-do-wells, troublemakers, and people steeped in all manner of shade. The affairs of these types often slept peacefully with the affairs of Veilists, the crazed fanatics and power-seekers who actively sought out and worked with Spirits. His working knowledge of Cenrtral's darker element turned up nothing on Jun Gu, however. The name rang no bells, and his description matched nothing Li had heard in the past. Jun was either new to the region, very good at covering his tracks, or...perhaps he was no one worthy of note? It was a mystery to everybody.

Just as Li Feng concluded that he knew nothing, his gaze locked with Jun Gu's for one brief moment. It was as if Jun Gu knew that he was in the company of people who knew nothing.

"Tell me, Lion, do you now teach all the up-and-comers to get names utterly wrong?"

His attention, and widened smile, turned from the Li Feng to his student.

"That's Jun Gu, the Kingfisher to you. I do not sully my hands with the protection of dirt beneath my shoes, I am never late, and I do not take kindly to children who do not know their place. Now, cub, why don't you at least try acting like you were taught some sense by your chaperone, and be quiet while the adults speak?"

The coin continued to steadily flip about in his right hand as Cheng spoke. "Haughty words, haughtier ideology. Tell me, stranger, at what point did I say it was a bad thing to be paid for help? It's good. Very good, in fact.

"My issue with the old man, and now yourselves since you've stepped up, free of charge, is that he's endangered the future of young idiots who did not know their place. In fact, it was you," Jun said, gesturing to Mi-Yuan, "Who they described as delivering their brief beating and driving out. They should have never been here, and I apologize on their behalf, but the problem is that they were apprehended by Hounds later that day. It took much wrangling to secure their freedom. I've metted punishment to my mentees accordingly. What I seek now is a sincere apology from Old Chang, and you, cub, for your role in the incident."

Old Chang scoffs. "Sorry for what? I didn't do anything but be here. And, uh, neither did the young buck. And don't tell me they just happened to target me, either!"

Jun Gu continued to flip his coin and smirk.

silphael
2014-10-07, 03:43 AM
"If I'm the cub, why are you the one trying to bark? And I should apology for the mistakes of your underlings ? Then you're mistaken : I won't." Mi-Yuan said with fiery voice

Actana
2014-10-08, 01:38 AM
Li Feng's gaze turned hard and stern at the ruffian who would call himself the Kingfisher. He stood up from his seat and gazed into the man's eyes. "The Lion does not consort itself with the hyena. It drives them away", he said as he gathered his belongings. "Now be gone or let us take this outside. There is no reason to sully this area with blood of fools."

Laughing_Dragon
2014-10-08, 02:23 PM
Cheng knew this posturing, at least some of it, "You didn't," he replied idly, "I did." It was his policy to never allow his men and women to bully townsfolk. They were to pay and pay handsomely for anything they needed while in transit around his little fiefdom, his way of giving back to the people. Take from the better off and give to the less well off. It was of course imperfect at best and he would admit if pressed that he'd probably taken from some people that could ill afford to lose the coin they had been liberated of, that said, one must break a few eggs to make an omelet. He watched the trio, unimpressed by 'the Kingfisher's' posturing. His eyes watched the Lions more closely, knowing what their claws looked like would be far more interesting than seeing what the Kingfisher had to offer. Unless of course he turned out to be a 'Spirit Hunter' as well, then everything would be so much more fascinating.

NyuBomber
2014-10-08, 06:46 PM
Jun Gu looks down his nose upon Mi-Yuan with a sudden scowl.

"Hmph." Jun flicked his jade coin off his thumb rocketing it into the air. "Fighting, fighting, fighting." An echoing ring sprang forth as it struck the brick ceiling, leaving a sizable gash and raining bits of stone down next to him as the coin fall back into his waiting palm, which subsequently disappeared behind his back. "Is that all you people think about? Do I look like I dressed for an arena?"

Jun Gu turns away with a flourish. "A man seeks an honorable solution to a slight, and this is the way he is treated by the oh-so-glorious Lion Clan. You lot must truly be on edge after the incident.

"No matter. I've places to go, proper people to see. Farewell, old man, young buck, and idealist stranger. And also you, Old Chang. I will extract what is owed to me in due time."

With that, Jun Gu turns left out the door of The Hammer and Nailer.

"And don't come back!" Old Chang finally gets the courage to speak again. "The nerve, implying you could have done anything about the Halls stuff when you can't even get near it."

"Feh, ain't worried about him." Chang kicks some dirt out from the entry way in Jun's general direction. "What do you think about that, uh, incident anyway?"

The two men who had been cheering Cheng and Mi-Yuan shakily take their leave of the establishment.

Actana
2014-10-09, 11:18 AM
Li Feng sighed after the man had left. This wasn't what he came here to do, yet he felt as if he were partially responsible for what had happened. Turning towards Old Chang, he bowed slightly with respect. "I do apologize for this business, but there is little we can personally do at this moment, as acting rashly would only bring more troubles. If further cause arises, you should contact the Hound representatives and inform myself of the situation. It would be my pleasure to offer witness in trial." he said, offering his condolences. Whether or not the Hound Clan could actually help in this matter was something he doubted, but it was the best "official" response he could give. This wasn't his area of expertise anyway.

At the mention of the incident, Li Feng's attention was grasped. It would not be wise to spread any more word of the incident than was already out. "I am afraid I cannot add anything to the topic you are not aware of already, you understand." he said sympathetically, but making it clear there would be no further discussion of the topic.

Laughing_Dragon
2014-10-09, 04:12 PM
Slowly Cheng lifts himself out of his seat and wanders over beneath where the Kingfisher had flicked his coin against the ceiling. He looked up and stared at the damage for a moment before announcing simply to Old Chang, "I think you may have a problem." He saw what he was saying as an understatement. He knew what he had done to passing trade caravans who had refused to pay the toll, it wasn't honorable or kind. "I think if you are lucky you will have another chance to apologize, take it. Because unless your Lion friends here or the Hounds elsewhere do something more substantive about it, next time he will do more than put a hole in your roof."

silphael
2014-10-10, 01:16 PM
With a lower voice, Mi-Yuan added :

"Old Chang, I must apologize to you : now you're in trouble because of me. Li Feng, so far we have no particular clues to follow,why couldn't we explore that way first?"

He seems concerned and slightly troubled.

"Plus, I wonder what kind of jade he used to break stone with it."

The last sentence is said with a light tone, intended to lighten the atmosphere.

NyuBomber
2014-10-10, 06:41 PM
Old Chang did not look particularly comforted by Li Feng's response to the rumored incident, but there were more immediate concerns. "Thank you all for your concern, but I'm still not worried. Jun Gu came around like he was on tour a couple of months ago, and since then I heard he only offers his, uh, 'guard services' to the the rich types. Like he said, dirt beneath him."

The restaurateur sat down, both the chair and his bones creaking as he stretched his legs. "To be, uh, honest, he must be doing something right for us down here. I've had less bullying from the Mad Bulls in those couple of months. Much less. The thing with the young buck here was the only flare-up I can remember."

"Are you really gonna go after him?"

silphael
2014-10-12, 06:55 PM
"Will he come back? If not, I won't, at least not now. But for now, I'll have to take care of your surprise : it was good but is weighing slightly on me."

He began tending to his nausea, spliting the charge on his meridians into a more diffuse weakness.

Actana
2014-10-14, 03:21 AM
"These kind of people do not go away." Li Feng said with a frown. "Even if one does, they will always be replaced with another." He then turns to Mi-yuan. "Will the recent meal be of hindrance to your performance? I would enjoy getting our task underway sooner rather than later. I feel that we have a lot to do before the sun goes down, and I your presence would be helpful. You will have time to rest once the day is done." he said, adding in a hopefully in his mind. There was no knowing what would come out of the investigations, suspicious as the circumstances were.

Laughing_Dragon
2014-10-14, 05:40 PM
Cheng nodded in agreement with the elder Lion, "It would be very strange for a man like him to not return and soon." He crossed his arms and frowned, this sort of abuse was the sort of thing he had to sometimes stamp out of his own people, though thankfully only those that had not been part of his Class. They had discipline enough and understanding enough to not do more than was needed. Some of the bandits he'd pulled in though didn't understand this as well. "It seems you will need some help, regardless of your compatriot's ability to conquer after effects of the Shengmen Surprise," he gave the other lion a warmer look, not like the cold glares he had been shooting secretly before, he knew from eating it that that meal was no easy thing to stomach, "You will need someone able to think like him. If only to understand his motivations on the matter." He knew this would out him a bit as being on the wrong side of the law, but hopefully they would be more interested in striking out against a common enemy. Cheng had no intention of letting the Kingfisher return to torment Proud Old Chang.

NyuBomber
2014-10-16, 05:26 PM
Shengmen, the Holy Gate - The Hammer & Nailer Diner (Southeast Crafters District) - Summer - ~5:15 PM

Old Chang rubs his chin. "Well, if you put it like that, I may have a lead for ya. You see, when I was out buying some stock this morning, I overheard--"

"Monsters! Somebody!"

Old Chang froze up with a start as a woman's shriek for help came from outside The Hammer and Nailer. Outside in the junk-strewn alley, a peasant girl rushed to escape the pursuit of a drooling and fanged little humanoid of a creature, it's blue skin shimmering in the sunset. Though its mouth gnashed to-and-fro at the air with a pained hiss, the monster kept up by running on its feet and hands like a dog, kicking up dust in its wake. From the waist up, the creature resembled a boy, though with much more musculature, its hair and skin drenched with sweat or water or some substance. Its legs were dressed in a pair of drenched slacks, the cheap cloth clinging to its ankles and thighs. Tucked into the back of the pants, flapping like a limp tail, was a long brown rag of cloth.

In fact, Li Feng and Mi-Yuan would recognize the shorts and towel as as being similar to what the children around the pond earlier were wearing. In fact, the creature was about a child's height, and had a student-length haircut.

The woman stumbled and fell. The Blue Boy upped his speed and his rate of disconcerting hissing. He would be upon her in moments.

Environment: The Alley Outside of the Hammer and Nailer
Situational Aspects: Junk-Strewn, Blinding Sunset, Dusty Trail

Zone 1: Area Directly Outside The Hammer and Nailer (Peasant Girl and the PCs are/will be located here)
Zone 2: Eastward Alley (Blue Boy is located here)

Turn Order
1) Mi-Yuan
2) Li Feng
3) The Blue Boy & The Peasant Girl
4) Cheng

silphael
2014-10-17, 06:46 PM
Jumping between the tables toward the way of the blue creature, beginnig to shout at it.

"I am your opponent, you blue thing : I won't let you touch them!"

The stance he takes is not the stance of someone here just for talking : all in his stance screams about menace and hunt. He wanted to be sure, and prepared a clawed hand to strike the boy if needed.

Actana
2014-10-18, 05:02 PM
Li Feng's senses flared up as he heard the cries outside. Trouble, and from the sounds of it spirits. Seeing as Mi-Yuan was already ahead of him blocking the creature's approach, Li Feng was free to engage it in a melee. Before that, however, he would call upon his Chi to protect himself from the creature's blows.

[roll0] to Create an Advantage of Chi Armor (free).

Once his Chi barriers were up, Li Feng pounced towards the creature with uncanny speed, a wave of slashes flowing towards the thing from his guandao. The aim of the blows, however, was not to hurt or maim the creature, but to observe its reactions and, most of all, keep it away from the bystanders. Civilians were the first priority, then the spirit.

[roll1] to create opposition for the Blue Boy to move away from Li Feng.

Laughing_Dragon
2014-10-19, 12:48 PM
Cheng was slow to enter even the barest of ready stances, holding himself from giving away his training as the nearby lions jumped into the fray. He eyed the Blue Boy gathering what information her could from its appearance and actions. This deep into the Lion's territory there was no doubt this little beast was weak, perhaps even weaker than the monster he'd been forced to face in his trials, then again perhaps not. Regardless, the appearance of the creature was far too human to be overlooked and Cheng's knowledge of Spirits was sadly limited, "I forget, can spirits posses humans?" He rounded the trio, keeping his hands behind his back and at least one of the two lions between him and the Boy where possible.

NyuBomber
2014-10-19, 08:36 PM
Blue Boy Athletics roll to move into the zone Area Directly Outside The Hammer and Nailer, past the obstructions of Mi-Yuan and Li Feng:
(4d3-5)[2]
(Li Feng gets +1 from Mi-Yuan's Teamwork (Fate Core p. 174)) - Active opposition = +3

Result: The Blue Boy's path is blocked! He remains in the zone Eastward Alley

The Blue Boy edges closer, but can only reel and hiss sharply as Li Feng's blade barely, expertly, misses him, guiding his movements backwards.

The Peasant Girl gets to her feet and runs away in hysterics.

His target gone, the Blue Boy paces back and forth, looking at each of the defenders, as if confused as to what sort of action to take next. Upon closer inspection, his skin not just has a shine, it's shimmering, covered in hypnotizing fish-like scales. His eyes are pitch black through-and-through. That is definitely water dripping from his figure. There is a faint fishy smell about him.

Peasant Girl has left the scene!

Environment: The Alley Outside of the Hammer and Nailer
Situational Aspects: Junk-Strewn, Blinding Sunset, Dusty Trail

PCs are all in the zone Area Directly Outside The Hammer and Nailer
The Blue Boy is in the zone Eastward Alley

Turn Order
1) Mi-Yuan
2) Li Feng
3) The Blue Boy & The Peasant Girl
4) Cheng

Actana
2014-10-20, 10:27 AM
The creature was contained for now, and it was time to move onto the offensive - it certainly looked like a human, but one who had been possessed or corrupted. Regardless of its origin, it had to be subdued before any further action should be taken. Li Feng took up the offensive, diving towards the creature in an attempt to knock it out, using the flat of his glaive to knock the beast into a wall.

Moving one zone towards the Blue Boy (free movement from Jingshen Rank).
[roll0] to attack the Blue Boy.

Actana
2014-10-20, 10:31 AM
Using a Fate point to invoke the Red Dragon form for a reroll, as its wide sweeps grant it more momentum to maximize the impact against an enemy.
[roll0]

silphael
2014-10-31, 08:26 PM
Quickly leaping toward the creature, Mi-Yuan claw wildly at the creature, his hands making far bigger wounds than they should as his Chi shroud them.

"Your path ends here, no need to struggle!"

[roll0]

With Weapon rating 1 and ignoring 1 eventual armor. That is, unless he has more than good chi.

Laughing_Dragon
2014-10-31, 08:45 PM
Cheng continued to observe, his fists unballed as he tried to not arouse too much suspicion about his own power, though perhaps the fact that he remained present for the melee was enough to mark him out as someone with power. It was a rather passive thing to do, but honestly he saw the two lions making short work of the little possessed boy and he was judging their reactions, how the dealt with this threat, how they treated people. This was a trial and the two lions probably had no idea.

NyuBomber
2014-11-02, 08:33 PM
Blue Boy Defend vs. Mi-Yuan Attack - (4d3-8+1)[1]
Mi-Yuan's Attack: +5
Result: HIT for 4 shifts -- Blue Boy mitigates with his 2-shift Consequence slot and his 2-shift Stress slot

Blue Boy gains Mild Consequence Aspect Blood-drawing Cut
Mi-Yuan gains a free invocation of Blue Boy's Blood-drawing Cut

Blue Boy Defend vs. Li Feng Attack - (4d3-8+1)[1]
Li Feng's Attack: +3
Result: HIT for 2 shifts -- Blue Boy mitigates with his 3-shift Stress box

The shimmer on his scales hinted the Blue Boy's slippery nature, as he twisted and spun away from the attacks of the shen-lieren, supernaturally and disgustingly bending his spine this-way-and-that to make nearly every strike graze him. However, one of Mi-Yuan's clawing strikes catches the creature across the shoulder, rending his thin scales and drawing blood -- red blood -- that splatters to the floor.

Seemingly in a daze and exhausted from his own efforts, the Blue Boy lets out a shrill cry, turns on his heels and palms, and dashes eastward down the alley, running nearly within the same path he had tread in earlier pursuit of the Peasant Girl!

Blue Boy concedes the battle and is retreating!

Physical Conflict is over!

Actana
2014-11-03, 01:46 PM
Li Feng looks on as the little creature runs away and once it's imminent it isn't returning, he releases his stance. "Mi-yuan, see if the girl has any injuries on her. We need to determine where the thing came from and where it might be going", he says as he kneels down where the Blue Boy had once been, seeing if the traces of the blood could be used to track the creature or figure out its origins.

[roll0] to Create an Advantage to discover any aspect the blue boy might have that could help with tracking it.

Edit: Wouldn't mind using Mi-yuan's free invocation on the consequence to reroll if possible. Not sure I can do that though.

silphael
2014-11-05, 01:38 PM
Tasting the blood leaking on his fingers, Mi-Yuan began smelling the air and looking for traces of the blood the creature is already losing.

[roll0]

Notice +1, may use my free invoke based on the result.

Edit : using it for a total of +5.

Laughing_Dragon
2014-11-06, 04:27 PM
Cheng looked on, approaching closer now that the creature had left. He smiled, "You know, it might be going back to where it came from." He gazed down the alleyway, "That little blue spirit kid looked a lot like the children at one of the swimming holes. Maybe that's where it came from?" He spun on his heal and began toward where the girl had ran, the older Lion's erstwhile apprentice had apparently decided to ignore his master's request to check up on the girl, Cheng would not. Hopefully she was loitering nearby, if not well, he couldn't blame her for running all the way home when Lions brought out their claws.

NyuBomber
2014-11-07, 10:30 PM
Li Feng Lore Roll to Create an Advantage = +1
Passive Opposition = +1
Result: Tie! -- Li Feng creates a Boost on Blue Boy: I've Seen This Magic Before

Mi-Yuan Notice to (I assume, need to pick which of the four actions you're doing) Create an Advantage = +5
Passive Opposition = +1
Result: Succeed with Style! -- Mi-Yuan creates a situation aspect on Blue Boy: Got Your Scent
Mi-Yuan gets two free invocations of Blue Boy's Got Your Scent
A novice shen-lieren would be able to tell that the red blood indicated that the creature was indeed human -- spirits bleed blue. Clearly this was a case of possession -- or was it? Li Feng recalls two facts: one, that there has never been a case of a spirit truly possessing a human; and two, judging by the evidence, that he has seen a similar situation to this particular "possession" -- more accurately: puppetry. The non-magical key to overcoming it would be to invoke the human nature of the victim to negate the enchantment, or so he understood it from his adviser on the subject. It would've been easier with a sorcerer or shaman on-hand, but alas!

Mi-Yuan's altered senses pick up on the trail of the blood. Because it was human, the true chi inherent to it almost made it come alive. Although nothing about the splatters really changed, it was as if each one leading onward became hyper-saturated in color, pulsating with the remaining energy of existence within. It was as plain as ink on new paper: the trail led back toward the area of the pond they had passed earlier.

The Peasant Girl was long gone. Any sensible human knows that staying to gawk at shen-lieren battles was not conducive to a long, healthy life.

I'm leaving it up to you to conjure the specifics of the memory~

silphael
2014-11-10, 04:08 AM
His eyes wide open, Mi-Yuan look at the others :

"He is at the pond, that way !"

And he begins to run toward that area of the town, huming the air as he looks for the right direction.

Actana
2014-11-10, 06:01 PM
"And we shall follow." Li Feng says to himself as he takes off after the trail Mi-yuan was leading. To be alive once more, to follow the trail, to hunt the spirits. It had been a long time since he had felt this particular sensation again, and while he denied it at times while teaching his students, he did miss this. Of course, the thing they were hunting was of little stature, but nevertheless the hunt was as exhilarating as ever. On the other hand, the last time he had been in the same situation as this, the results were not ideal. Many lives had been lost to that puppet and the entire expedition was deemed a failure. Bound not to repeat the process and armed with both his glaive and his companion, Li Feng picked up the pace, determined to find and capture the puppet before it could do more harm.

Laughing_Dragon
2014-11-11, 11:41 AM
It wasn't surprising that the child had ran, it was expected even, sticking around when Spirits were about wasn't particularly smart for a normal person. It was good then that Cheng wasn't normal. He heard them start leaving and was off after them as they pursued the child spirit. He called out, "We? And what made you so sure I was gonna follow?" He of course was, but that was beside the point, the Lion's presumption was a bit irritating to

NyuBomber
2014-11-12, 09:23 PM
Shengmen, the Holy Gate - Neighborhood (Southeast Crafters District) - Summer - ~5:20 PM

The trail continued to be easy enough to follow through the alleys, even as the blood turned into mere drips. As the trio neared the area of the pond, however, the trail dried up -- fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your perspective), the sign of where to go came in a new form.

A pair of soldiers, the Hound Clan emblem emblazoned on their shoulder pads, rushed a group of civilians away from the area.

"Move, move, go!"

The civilians are happy to oblige while screaming, running past Mi-Yuan, Li Feng, and Cheng. The Hounds, now realizing who stood before them, bowed deeply toward Li Feng.

"Honored Lion Li Feng, thank Heaven! Some...thing has taken over the waters," one of the Hounds said, out of breath. "We know there was a group of children here, but we can't find them, the teacher, or the guard they had. They must still be around, right?"

"I hope the monsters haven't gotten to them," the other says under his breath.

"Don't say such things," the first Hound chides. "Who knows if there are any other people. Gods damn it, how could this happen? Honored Li Feng, what would you have us do?"

Almost imperceptibly, the air takes on an azure tinge in the piercing rays of the sun's light.

Actana
2014-11-13, 05:38 AM
"Contain the area, evacuate the civilians. And if you can, find me a sorcerer; what we're likely dealing with is puppetry." Li Feng says as he takes on an aura of command towards the Hounds. "We encountered one of the... children... being controlled by a spirit in the town. Hopefully more of them haven't managed to get loose yet, otherwise we might have an outbreak." he continues, his regret apparent in how he talks about the child. "The enchantment should be breakable, but we don't want to risk civilian lives. Inform the headquarters, be on heightened alert for any more of these blue boys. If encountered, take them alive if possible, see them to an expert in spirit-puppetry."

Finishing his orders to the Hounds, he turns to Mi-yuan and Cheng. "These are children, remember. Furthermore, children we can save. Incapacitate, do not kill. The less permanent damage, the better. I'm just hoping we're not too late, because whatever caused them to be commandeered is likely still around - and far more powerful than the child we drove off." he says, watching the pond warily.

silphael
2014-11-15, 08:44 PM
"In that case I'll do my best to capture them : if they are not my ennemies I have no reason to destroy them... I hope subduing them will be possible."

He appears impatient to keep searching.

I can use one of my free "got your scent" invoke to partially solve the current "we don't know where they are" situation, right?

Edit : gonna do that then.

Still fighting his swirl of colors, he turns his head toward a nearby building :

"The blue boy went that way, and he is hurt now... I hope he will survive it.

Laughing_Dragon
2014-11-16, 07:02 PM
The Lion wasn't answering his questions, though Cheng had somewhat expected that sort of treatment all along. As they arrived at the watering hole and the elder of the Lions started barking commands Cheng stood by and crossed his arms, "For the children, not for you." He muttered, his tongue bypassing his brain once again. He watched as the other Lion left, apparently in active pursuit of the Blue Boy, that child had been injured by Li Feng. He silently cursed his lack of skill in the healing arts, his was the path of destruction, not that of peace, he had had friends for that, still he might be able to help obliterate the spirit that was controlling the boy and in that release him to be helped by those that could. Cheng uncrossed his arms, moments after having crossed them and dashed after Mi-Yuan, "We should focus on killing the spirit controlling him, I'd think that would ensure a safer release than punching the kid until he stops fighting back."

Actana
2014-11-17, 04:56 AM
"You are correct", Li Feng replies to Cheng. "Tracking the source of the puppetry and ending it is an ideal outcome. Hence why we have come to the pond. The children were last seen here, so chances are whatever spirit inhabiting the area is nearby. Hopefully eliminating it will free the children. But we must be ready to do what is necessary if that does not work." he continues with a harder face, regretting the options he might have to take, but staying resolute.

As Mi-yuan points out the building, Li Feng examines it intently. "Hmm, I would have reasoned the spirit would call its puppets back into the water. If it is instead taking refuge in the building, we might not be dealing with a water based spirit as I had assumed, but instead one that is merely taking advantage of its natural surroundings. This certainly does bring back some memories. Years ago indeed..."

[roll0] to Create an Advantage to determine what sort of spirit we might be dealing with, and create a free invocation on one of its aspects. Using my I've Seen This Magic Before boost.

NyuBomber
2014-11-18, 07:22 PM
The blue mist settles in, imperceptible but just out of the grasping reach of realization.

The buiding Mi-Yuan lead the group up to was a standard domicile, maybe a touch bigger than

Li Feng's Lore Roll - (4d3-2)[6] to Create an Advantage to determine what sort of spirit we might be dealing with, and create a free invocation on one of its aspects. Using my I've Seen This Magic Before boost.
????? actively defends with Deceive (via stunt) - (4d3-8+2)[1]
Result: Li Feng succeeds with style! Li Feng discovers ?????'s Aspect All Puppetmasters Have Strings and gains two free invokations on it
Li Feng shakes off the faint doubt he had in his memories, and every relevant detail came rushing back. This was definitely the work of a "puppetmaster" type spirit, so-called because of the South continent's (where the first recorded one was found out and slain) penchant for theater and subterfuge. Those qualities manifested strongly in these relatively intelligent sort of beings, whose ultimate aims were to weave a web of deceit so large that they would never be found at the center, and thus be allowed to sow discord among humans forever.

If Li Feng took anything away from his own memories of a run-in with a Puppetmaster, it was that the methodology of their takeover was a two-way street. As much as they relied on obscurity, a careful observer could draw clues to the spirit's nature and habits from the manner of their victims' acts and appearances. Puppetmaster magic was not possession, but simply the master commandeering the victim's body. As horrific as such an existence might sound, it actually gave the victim their chance to recover and--

What was that?

Notice Rolls from everyone in OOC thread, pleeaaaase

NyuBomber
2014-11-21, 07:43 PM
Notice - Overcome vs. Difficulty Rating +3

Cheng - (4d3-7)[-1] = Failure
Li Feng - (4d3-7)[2] = Failure
Mi-Yuan - (4d3-7)[5] = Success!

Mi-Yuan's hyper-sensitivity picks up an audial hit...back toward the pond. In the pond, the sound of water swishing ever so gently. Turning his glance to see, in the distance and through the sudden azure fog, he notices a pair of pale violet lights that briefly hover above the water line before dipping back into the water.

Cheng and Li Feng hear something else: the sound of shuffling feet and a door's hinges creaking, coming from within the domicile Mi-Yuan had lead them to.

silphael
2014-11-24, 06:23 AM
Turning his head back with a fearsome smile toward the pond, he said :

"Hiding in the water? The pupetteer maybe? That's not gonna help you, still water carries your smell..."

Not sure i can try a provoke roll here... And definitely not sure toward which goal.

Actana
2014-11-26, 06:28 PM
((Invoking one invocation on All Puppetmasters Have Strings for a +2 on the Notice check, making it a +4 and succeeding.))

"Ah. It seems to hide from us, deceive us. It is in its nature. Be wary, Mi-yuan, it will try to slip through our fingers again." Li Feng says to his companion, and then turns to Cheng. "I do not doubt your martial prowess, friend, but be warned that spirits are not to be taken lightly. It may be best to leave this in the hands of the shen lieren. If you can, try finding the blue boy that led us here, there in the house." he says in a friendly but suggestive manner. This tagalong, however skilled, was still a civilian, and while he had been able to keep up with the two spirit hunters, Li Feng felt ill at ease keeping him in harm's way.

Watching the water, Li Feng begins to calm himself, focusing his energies and creating a reserve from which he could draw upon in the fight.

[roll0] to Create the Advantage Chi Reserves.

Laughing_Dragon
2014-11-28, 05:41 PM
Cheng was amused by this turn, both Lions were announcing where the beast lay hiding, fearful of their power. What made him smile though was the Elder Lion's assumption that he was simply a strong person and not a Shen Lieren in his own right. There was merit of course in staying hidden, but with the beast's hideout now sniffed out by the more professional hunters, where would the fun be in hiding his power now? "The most effective way to help its victims is to destroy it, yes? Then a third will make the work easier." There wasn't a way he could think of to show that he was one of them, that he'd passed his Rites even if in doing so he had also killed his 'Master', so he simply turned to face the water and put one fist against an open palm and centered himself.

Drawing Chi was a difficult and clumsy process for him, his Master and his teachers had not been around to teach him that part, he'd had to intuit it himself after the fact. Centering had worked in the past to draw out the chi he'd needed, the reserve which was always there somewhere but more often than not simply out of reach. It had helped the first time and a few times after, he just needed to grasp at the energy and draw it up and out so that he could use it. He split his hands apart suddenly, attempting to break open the mental vessel that held his Chi, he would need it to fight properly in the upcoming battle.

[[roll0] To create the advantage Loosened Chi]

NyuBomber
2014-11-30, 04:51 PM
Once again the glowing purple orbs came up to peer over the water, trained right on the group.

Once more they submerged.

And now, something new: The lake erupted on the far side from the group, a bulky Shadowy Figure emerged, and they began to flee into the winding alleys of the neighborhood, apparently uninterested in a battle.

Actana
2014-12-01, 02:23 PM
"Again, it flees from us!" Li Feng shouts to his companions. "Don't let it get away!" he yells as he begins his pursuit of the figure. Hopefully the reinforcements he sent for, sorcerers or more Hounds, would arrive sooner rather than later to prevent the spirit from fleeing too far.

Laughing_Dragon
2014-12-04, 09:30 AM
Cheng grinned, "The hunt is on," he announced quietly to himself as he saw the creature rise up from the water and beat a hasty retreat. Slamming his right foot down first he charged after Li Feng and by proxy the Shadowy Figure as well. They had to catch it quick before it could get too far and escape into the alleyways, Cheng wasn't well versed in the city's layout and he had no clue how well Li Feng or Mi-Yuan knew said streets. Not losing it in the first place was the most important matter for the time being and for that he needed to push himself as hard as he could.

silphael
2014-12-08, 05:47 PM
"Time to Hunt!"

Sculpting his chi to support the hunt, Mi-Yuan took a short time to breathe.

[roll0] Chi of the Ravenous Tiger

NyuBomber
2014-12-10, 10:50 PM
The Shadowy Figure dashes around a corner, and the chase is on.

The houses in this area are tightly packed, creating narrow, winding alleys that make fast traversal difficult. This is compounded by the ensuing darkness from the sun's setting and the azure mist. Luckily, this goes both ways. It's compounded again by the fact that this is a residential area, quickyl evacuated int he emergency, and thus all sorts of household items and tools are cluttering the ground and walls.

Unluckily, the figure seems more prepared for a potential escape than may be expected. With a loud pop, a sudden flash, and a mighty exhalation, the entity creates a massive smoke screen that quickly fills the alley.

Shadowy Figure, using an unseen and dark repertoire, Creates an Advantage on the environment: Smoke Screen
4d3-8 + 4 (Stealth skill) = +4
Passive opposition: +1 (The environment is just an alley, but Shadowy Figure is being actively pursued!)
Result: +3 - Success with Style! Shadowy Figure gains 2 free invocations of Smoke Screen

Alleyways now have the situation aspect Smoke Screen!

Actana
2014-12-12, 11:17 AM
Unable to see through the smoke but unwilling to stop before the alley and risk an ambush, Li Feng accelerates just before the smoke and vaults off the ground, leaping from wall to wall as he ascends over the smoke, taking a vantage point from the rooftops. From there he could better see their quarry, or if possible engage it too.

Li Feng uses his mighty agility and stamina to Create an Advantage on himself: I Have High Ground.

[roll0]

Laughing_Dragon
2014-12-14, 08:00 PM
Cheng watched as the lion sprung into action, leaping up to the roofs with an ease that he had not known the older man could have managed. Of course he had only known him for a short time, but that is beside the point, there was an obstacle in the way and he had to decide how to tackle it. Following the Lion would be a good course of action, but what really needed to be done was to clear the smoke so as to find the Spirit. He glanced back to see if the other Lion was still with them, but didn't see them right away.

He made a snap decision to do the stupid thing and charge into the smoke, someone had to follow the creature on the ground and give it a reason to leave its precious smoke. As he breached the wall of smoke he took a defensive stance and edged deeper in. He grinned and called out to the monster, "Stupid spirit, scared of one human, really? Can take a child but not a man?" Every step he took loudly, hopefully the Lion above would be able to follow his movements and come down to help when the creature showed its face.

Cheng uses his fairly nasty tongue to try and Provoke the spirit into attacking him or otherwise expose its self

Provoke 4 Fate Dice + 2 Got, 3 total

silphael
2014-12-18, 07:50 AM
Roaring toward the creature, running through the smoke, Mi-Yuan told the creature its mistakes :

"It's not sight you should obscure, now you fall!"

Apparently maddened, teeth shown, furious face, he became the incarnation of the Tiger.

[roll0] as an attack, basically to inflict a fear based disadvantage (except if I can create an advantage with provoke, in that case it'll be "Nobody Hides from the Tiger King")

NyuBomber
2014-12-26, 01:45 AM
Li Feng Athletics Roll: +4
Passive Opposition: +1 Normal +1 from Smoke Screen = +2

Result: Success!
Li Feng creates situation aspect I Have the High Ground
Li Feng gets one free invocation of I Have the High Ground

Li Feng would normally be able to complete the maneuver with ease. The viscosity of the smoke screen, however, almost trips him up on an unseen clothesline. Li Feng recovers by grabbing the rope and pulling himself up.

Cheng Provoke Roll: +3
Shadowy Figure Active Opposition = (4d3-8+3 [Will])[3]

Result: Success with Minor Cost!
Shadowy Figure ceases hiding!
Minor cost: Shadowy Figure creates a story detail!

Like a ghost, the entity materializes from the smoke screen almost within arms length of Cheng. On the figure, which stands nearly a head shorter than himself, he can make out a billowing black cloak, topped by an angular, oddly-shaped head containing the almost-blindingly bright lavender circles that must've been its eyes. The Shadowy Figure raises its hand -- it's leathery, humanoid hand -- to its "face" and extends a finger upwards. Only the man standing directly in front of the Shadowy Figure could possibly ascertain the words that came out of the exhalation of breath that followed.

"Sssshhh," it whispers, in a hollow, accented, feminine voice. "I know your secret, bandit dog."

Mi-Yuan Provoke Roll to Create an Advantage: +4
Shadowy Figure Active Opposition = (4d3-8+3 [Will]) [3]

Shadowy Figure gets aspect Nobody Hides from the Tiger King!
Mi-Yuan gets one free invocation of Shadowy Figure's Nobody Hides from the Tiger King! aspect.

Mi-Yuan charges his way through the smoke, chasing down the subtle perfumed scent of his prey as it winds around the alley and back itself again.

To everyone's surprise, but especially that of the figure, his tactic works! Mi-Yuan roars into a patch of clarity -- directly behind the Shadowy Figure, who now finds itself stuck between Cheng and the shen-lieren.

The Shadowy Figure makes quick turn and roll, putting itself at Cheng's side. "Please help me," it pleads loudly, in a heavy and strangely accented feminine voice, enough for all to hear. "I'm not responsible for this. Tell them!" The figure turns its gaze upon Cheng. "Tell them."

The desperation in the figure's voice may have been fabricated, and it may indeed be lying about its role in the current predicament that has befallen the area. It is clear, however, that non-compliance would somehow, someway, result in Cheng's life becoming very, very difficult.

Compelled Aspect: Stubborn as a Mule; Reward: 1 Fate Point - Owing to his pride and ability to keep his disguise going so far, plus the fact that he will get in trouble if it's revealed, Cheng's next course of action is to take the side of the Shadowy Figure.

Semi-related: Because this thread seems to be something that's running through Cheng's character, I would like to suggest that LD permanently add the Double Life aspect to Cheng. In the case that he does, this compel will be on that aspect instead. This is merely a suggestion: the reward and situation remains the same if he chooses not to take it.

Actana
2014-12-26, 10:54 AM
"Do not listen to it!" Li Feng shouts down from the rooftop towards the smoke. "It will try to deceive you, or worse!"

Unfortunately, there was little Li Feng could do beyond that, and would soon have to descend for a more direct confrontation. The smoke having hindered his last attempt at traversing the area, this time Li Feng decides to home his focus onto the energy of the spirit, pinpointing its location for an attack from above.

Li Feng calms the air around him and reads the spirit's aura to Create an Advantage on himself: Sight Through Smoke.

[roll0]

Laughing_Dragon
2014-12-30, 10:10 PM
Cheng clenched a fist and prepared himself to pummel the Spirit. When it failed to lash out at him he frowned and was about to begin the assault anyway, it spoke. He froze, stuck for a moment in the beginnings of his basic combat stance, It knows. How does it know?! The thought fractured his will as the Young Lion became somewhat visible through the Smoke Screen. He could practically hear the Dogs rallying nearby. They were far too far from his home, from his seat of power for him to admit to being even a minimally Infamous Bandit Lord.

'Tell them'

His jaw clenched as he broke stance and stood by, the creature practically pawing at him, "It is as you say," he said as genuinely as possible, taking a page from interactions with the Hounds on the Silk Road. His own hide had to come first and for that Double Life to be maintained, no one here in the capital must know of the other half. This creature could easily yell his secret to the world if he didn't comply and so he did, "We must have made a mistake." His eyes fell on the Young Lion, with luck the Smoke Screen would hide any guilt he might have on his face. Sparing this ... creature had not been in the plan, but this wouldn't have been the first time he had chosen his own hide over that of the greater good.

You damned sneaky... Accepted, that's ... really good.

NyuBomber
2015-01-12, 08:30 PM
Cheng accepts the compel!
Cheng will be awarded his Fate point at end of 'session'

"Now that we're--"

Mi-Yuan's charge did not cease.

Rather than hesitate, the Shadowy Figure stepped forward twice and to the left once, digging the side of its hand into the Young Lion's gut. What would normally be a debilitating strike combined with the bad food he'd consumed earlier to produce a paralyzing effect. The smoke swirled, and his face became intimately familiar with the dirt.

"Now that we're in agreement that I've nothing to do with this," the figure continued, clutching its hands in front of it in a completely non-threatening stance, "We can get down to what is responsible."

Li Feng Chi roll to Create an Advantage Sight Through Smoke = 0
Passive Opposition = +2
Result: Failure to create advantage!

The smoke was thicker than broth, but on top of it was a certain intangible quality. Nothing dazing, but trying to focus on the entity's chi, a skill basic to being shen-lieren, was incredibly difficult, like trying to find a perfect image in the ripples of a turbulent stream.

The figure shouted to the general direction of where Li Feng's voice came from. "I take pride in deception, kind Lion. What I'm doing now is bargaining. This area is in deeper danger by the second, and myself more so. Help me figure out what is going on, and I will do likewise for you in regards to me."

silphael
2015-01-16, 02:31 PM
Rage burning in his eyes, Mi-Yuan managed to stop his movement for a second, considering a potential second ennemy, yelling :

"There is no bargaining with you, spirit ! You better surrender yourself and meet your fate right now!"

Actana
2015-01-16, 02:52 PM
Frowning at the smoke and his inability to see through it, Li Feng gripped his glaive tightly. He had the higher ground, and knowledge of the spirit. Even with the smoke, he should be able to land a hit.

With the spirit was distracted by the two others, Li Feng launches himself off the roof in an attempt to bear down his glaive onto the spirit!

Li Feng strikes from above in a deadly jump attack!
[roll0] to attack the Spirit.

Depending on how the roll and opposition goes, I may or may not use both of my free invocations at the moment.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-01-18, 06:32 PM
Spirits always lied and this one was no different of course, at least that's what most people would say. Cheng knew it knew what it knew about him, but he didn't know how. He wanted to interrogate it, but quickly the Lions were pouncing and much as he wanted the spirit alive for interrogation, it would soon meet its end and take his secret to ... wherever spirits went when they died. The Bandit 'Lord' didn't really know where they went, it was almost enough of a quandary to get him to stop and contemplate the philosophy of it, that is if he wasn't well aware of the Lions making their attack.

Cheng shrugged and stepped back, "Well, it looks like they don't like you. I can't imagine why." He stared down at the thing through the smoke and wondered how much of what it said was truly true. He would leave killing it to the professionals, unless of course it demanded his help or started yelling out his secret. Then of course he would have to intervene...

NyuBomber
2015-01-20, 11:57 AM
Shadowy Figure Defense vs. Mi-Yuan's Provoke Attack: 4d3-8+3 (Will)[0]
Mi-Yuan Provoke Attack: +4
Result: 4 shifts of mental damage!

Shadowy Figure ticks off its 4-shift Mental Stress Box!

There was absolutely no way that young man should be standing. Such a strike had incapacitated greater men, greater monsters than the Lion could imagine. And yet, he recovered from it. Not only recovered, but taunting! The figure visibly shook, turning its attention to Mi-Yuan.

"Fate? Fortune is my plaything, luck my lapdog. Fate is a lie for children with nothing to hope for!" Its voice -- her voice? -- shook, clawing for proverbial footing. "You know not who you address, you little--"

Li Feng Fight Attack: (4d3-5)[2]
Li Feng invokes both free aspects: +4 bonus
Li Feng Attack Roll Result: +6

Shadowy Figure Defend roll: 4d3-8+1 (Fight)[1]
Shadowy Figure uses one of its free invocations of Smoke Screen for a +2 bonus.
Shadowy Figure Defense Roll Result: +3

Result: Li Feng's attack succeeds (+3) -- Li Feng's attack succeeds with style!
Shadowy Figure absorbs 1 shift of the hit with its 1-tick Physical Stress box!
Shadowy Figure the remaining 2 shifts with its Mild (2) Consequence box!
Shadowy Figure gains Mild Consequence: Gash Across the Chest

Li Feng's stylish success allows him to place Momentary Disorientation boost on Shadowy Figure
Li Feng gains one free invocation of Shadowy Figure's Momentary Disorientation

Goaded by Mi-Yuan into plainly giving away its precise position within the smoke, the Shadowy Figure is unable to do anything to plainly stop Li Feng's overarching attack. The best it can do is try to move out of the way and avoid losing an arm or its head, which it does admirably. Still, the blade found purchase -- cloth feebly stood, then ripped, followed by leather which didn't fare much better. Finally, skin, muscle, flesh. Li Feng struck true and the Shadowy Figure tumbled onto its side. Its lavender eyes illuminated the ground, pierced the smoke...blood, its red blood, stained brown fabric and dirt. In the refracting light, what was formerly a monstrous looking head revealed self to be...still alien and unfamiliar, but best described as a black leather full-headed hood and mask, with some sort of...thing on the mouth, under the eyes. From this apparatus came a ribbed tube that disappeared into the figure's robe.

The being writhed on the ground, clutching at its wound, before sitting up slowly. "Stop!" Her -- definitely her, as the strange modulation of her voice had now disappeared -- breathing hastened. She removed a glove, revealing a well-manicured hand, and grabbed at buckle clasps around the hood. Its eyes flickered and died out as the head was lifted and removed.

All went dark.

Fingers snapped.

A small, pale orb of pure white light began to circle the exceedingly young woman's head, illuminating the vicinity. While her rich tan skin and features were of striking elegance and beauty, the most prominent were her eyes: sharp, wide-open, assessing, violet, infuriated, hurt.

"That may be the last time I bother telling the truth, I swear." Her accent was thick and Southern, of the alluring inflection established among the highest class of the continent, easily recognized if one was that familiar with the culture. "Gods... " She favored the fresh wound. "Well, what now, idiots? Want to speed this along to the part where you accuse me of being a Veil fanatic and hold the beheading right here?"

She glared daggers in Cheng's direction. His inaction was perhaps the most telling move of all.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-01-20, 06:31 PM
Cheng stared openly, his arms had crossed but they now fell to his sides. He matched gazes with the woman for a moment then waved his hand, "Pardon me! Was I t-to get between a you-erm ahh, a Spirit and a Lion?" He left the statement to fester a moment, giving her an indignant frown, she had blackmailed him, why was she at all surprised when he tried to be rid of his blackmailer by the blades and fists of the Lions nearby.

Slowly he crossed his arms again, his shock wearing off and replaced with anger of his own, "My shirt isn't half as thick as your leather, I'd have been skewered. So d-don't be giving me that look!" He huffed, "Oh and, Lets just not talk about how foggy it was, I could hardly see Mi-Yuan let alone the old man." Now he was making excuses, flustered by the situation and partly because the woman yet lived and held his secret in her hands. He tensed at that thought and watched her and the Lions, this matter could yet get messier. Much messier.

silphael
2015-01-22, 07:00 AM
Barely standing on his feet, yet still standing, all Mi-Yuan could see was his raw, pure, hatred toward the spirits, and that's all he needed to keep fighting. His stomach nearly returned by the food and the strike, his eyes injected with his burning rage toward the creature.

"Red Blood? But what's with those eyes? What truth are you talking about? There is no such thing with you spirits..."

Actana
2015-01-22, 12:28 PM
Things had definitely taken an unexpected turn, but Li Feng couldn't hesitate. Spirits took many forms, but rarely took the time to talk. Not wanting to lose momentum from his previous attack, he whirls his glaive in place, dispelling as much smoke as he can while simultaneously positioning himself to prevent their adversary, whatever it would turn out to be, from escaping. While he doesn't make any offensive actions for now, he neither lets down his guard, making sure the spirit won't get the jump on him.

Li Feng attempts to drive the spirit against a wall in order to Create an Advantage on her: No Escape. Using the Momentary Disorientation boost for an extra +2.
[roll0]

NyuBomber
2015-01-22, 08:22 PM
Li Feng roll to Create an Advantage: Nowhere to Run on Mystery Woman: (4d3-3)[3]
Mystery Woman Passive Opposition: +1
Mystery Woman gains situation aspect Nowhere to Run
Li Feng gains one free invocation of Mystery Woman's Nowhere to Run

The woman tried to get to her feet, as difficult as that was with a chest wound, but found her knees wobbling from the attack. To make matters worse, Li Feng's dizzying flourish herded her back against a wall. Her yelp of pain showed that it did no favors for her condition.

Still, she looked defiantly up at the men, eyes darting, scanning, re-assessing. She had their in-the-moment reactions now, more than enough to go off of.

She slowly stood, leaning against the wall still. "OK...let's just stop and start over."

"You. You're the leader, aren't you?" She looked past the blade of the defensive glaive, into Li Feng's eyes. "If I was a spirit, wouldn't I have killed your partner," she said, nodding her head toward Cheng, "When I was right next to him in the smoke? Would I have not done the same to the rash one?" She motioned her shoulder toward Mi-Yuan.

"I am no spirit. I am shen-lieren. I do not know for certain what is happening here, but I am prepared to help. I can not reveal anything more than that without knowing I can trust you three. So you can either return the debt owed by your friends when I didn't pierce their hearts..."

She kneels and bows, forehead in the dirt, neck exposed as her dark hair lays out on the ground. The point of light remains orbiting above her head.

"Or ignore my blood, kill me now, and ruin more lives than you can imagine, including your own!"

The Smoke Screen dissipates, as if cajoled into removing all obfuscation by her words.

Mystery Woman's Rapport roll to Create an Advantage: Trusting Her Heartfelt Words on Li Feng, Mi-Yuan, and Cheng: 4d3-8+3 (Rapport)[2]

- Mystery Woman uses her stunt A Distressed Tongue is the Purest Silver (+2 bonus to Create an Advantage with Rapport in a personally life-threatening situation, when faced with opponents that can understand her)
- Mystery Woman spends a Fate Point to invoke her aspect Mistress of Profound Truth, as she's now dedicated on a truth-telling path that will greatly change the outlook and goals of the listeners, for a +2 bonus.

Total Roll Result: +6
Mystery Woman splits her +6 result among multiple targets as follows:
Li Feng: +3
Mi-Yuan: +1
Cheng: +2

Empathy is the skill used to Defend, as the listeners must discern if she is being truthful. Let us hash it out in OOC~

The Smoke Screen situation aspect has run its course and is gone!

Actana
2015-01-29, 03:09 AM
Li Feng frowns heavily towards the woman. Without lowering his weapon, he stares right back at the woman, taking no other actions (for now). Even if she was telling the truth, which was no guarantee, it wouldn't hurt to listen to what she has to say, right?

"Then explain yourself. Who are you and why did you run?"

silphael
2015-01-29, 02:52 PM
Still frenzied, Mi-Yuan marked a momentary stop :

"Quickly, why would you run from us? If you're that good, couldn't you tell us before?"

Laughing_Dragon
2015-02-01, 01:07 PM
Cheng was at a crossroads, the woman sounded honest enough and he certainly found her arguements convincing enough, still she knew things about him that no one this far west should have known. In the end he had to side with her, there wasn't any other real choice. He stepped up next to her, partially interposing himself between her and the Lions, "I think we should all calm down and allow the Lady to tend to her wounds, she'll still be outnumbered when she's not in danger of dying of blood loss. And while she's fixing herself she can answer questions!" He couldn't help but overcompensate a bit for his earlier actions or more accurately lack of action.

After a moment he looked at her and frowned, "You're one of those shen-lieren from the sneaky clan aren't you?"

NyuBomber
2015-02-03, 07:46 PM
Needled with questions, the woman calmly rose from her bow, pulling closer to her the helm that had been tossed aside in her display, it's mouthpiece still connected via tubing to something inside her drab brown robe.

"My name is Meirong."

Slowly, she rolled up her sleeves and showed that she had nothing on either side of her hand. With a flick of the right wrist, she had a roll of gauze in the right palm. With a pained twist of the left wrist, she held in her left palm a small jade medallion, emblazoned with a bright gold engraving of a bat clutching a coin in its wings and fangs.

"Yes, I am of Bat Clan."

After showing the medallion to each man, she twisted her left wrist and made it disappear again. Measuredly, she rolled out a length of gauze and went about stemming her blood loss.

"I apologize for my earlier language. You were just doing your jobs, and we really are in danger. This is no time for games and I should have known that. But, you see, we had to play Cat & Mouse because, well, I can not allow myself be caught. Not really caught. This isn't really caught.

"I assure you my motives are good. I'm here on assignment, investigating a theft. An impossible theft. It's quite embarrassing, but also very important, and so I must investigate and try to ascertain the who's, why's, and how's. I know the what's and when's, and have a strong lead on the who's, which lead me to the pond in a manner I will explain later as it's quite useless to us now. Because, for now, my dears," Meirong said, enunciating the last phrase in a most Southernly patronizing manner, "We are in grave danger. Have you noticed how azure everything is? Have you wondered where your comrades are, why Lion's oh-so-tiresome battle readiness has not come to the rescue?"

Indeed, though the structures and ground remained the same, everything from rock to discarded basket to Meirong's robes had taken on a decidedly blue tint.

"If I recall my dealings, this area is being converted into a crossroads between our world...and the Realm of the Black Veil. We're on our own, cut off from Meng Xiang, and the process is more complete than not. Simply, we have to stop it or there will be Hell on earth. That's all.

"The good news is, whatever is causing this is also trapped inside with us for the duration. We're between worlds, my dears." There was that phrase again, assured in its position despite Meirong's seemingly fresh-out-of-training age. "Shall we get going, or do you want to waste more time interrogating me? Maybe ask what this contraption is? More information on how this crossroads works? How I got these arresting eyes, hm?"

Meirong violet-ly glared right at Cheng as she finished bandaging herself up.

Actana
2015-02-04, 02:12 AM
Li Feng furrows his brow at the woman. If she had been more forthright from the beginning things might have turned differently, but there was no turning back time anymore. He lets his guard down and plants his glaive into the ground before bowing and introducing himself. "In that case, I shall have to apologize on my, and the other's, behalf. Well met, Meirong", he says formally. "My name is Li Feng, styled Xiangwei. The nominal leader of our... Expedition, so to speak", he says, wondering what exactly he should call this group. It had been a long time since he had taken part in a joint operation between clans.

"We should leave all petty squabbling until we have found our way out of this predicament", he continues after taking his glaive again and steeling himself for what is to come, watching the environment for any clues.

[roll0] to create an advantage based on the azureness.

silphael
2015-02-05, 06:47 PM
"So those monstrous kids are from that azure stuff? I don't think you're saying everything you could to help us here, but we have more urgents things to do, I guess?"

Seemingly eager to move, Mi-yuan still shows some skeptisism.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-02-08, 04:16 PM
Cheng understood the need not to be caught, but from what the Bat was saying, they might all be caught at the moment whether she admitted it or not. The azureness around him however was becoming noticeable, though what it meant went far beyond any inkling of his 'training'. Surrounded by true clan trained and sanctioned Spirit Hunters his own training and coup made him feel strangely empty, as if he was missing something important. He shook his head hard, trying to remove the cobwebs from his at times underutilized brain, "Explain that again, the part about 'Hell on Earth' and a Crossroads between us and the Black Veil." He took a few steps away, circling out away from her, "You were not the source, were you tracking it?" He thought back a moment, "Before we got distracted by you," he pointed at the younger lion, "You had the scent of something didn't you? Couldn't we go back and follow it again?"

NyuBomber
2015-02-10, 08:06 PM
Li Feng Lore roll to create an advantage based on the azureness. - (4d3-4)[5]
Passive Opposition: +3
Result: Success! Li Feng creates the advantage Crossroads Teachings
Li Feng recalls many things about the concept of crossroads from his own training many years ago. They are rare occurrences, requiring a vast amount of true chi to be accumulated by a catalyst, an item enchanted by Black Veil magic to either feed directly on the energy of humans, or absorb ambient chi from a surrounding population over time. Once activated, they would convert a swath of Meng Xiang into a zone that spirits could manifest in from the Realm of the Black Veil. This knowledge was expressly kept secretive from the general population and low-level shen lieren for the purpose of combating paranoia. There were many instances through recorded history of the populace starting up Veilist hunts or accusing a neighbor of wrong-doing, all of which ended in disaster.

Besides, the process took so much true chi that it would actually begin to disturb the senses of particularly receptive shen lieren, making them easily found and disposed of before the process could even start; if the direct route was taken, the trail of sick and dead usually lead to the perpetrators before their plans could unfold. The only known successful occurrences come from the West and the North continents a century ago. Losses were many.

Finally, Li Feng recalled that the crossroads process could be stopped by finding and sealing, or destroying, the catalyst item. This could still be done if the process had been completed....one would just have to fight through the hordes of monsters first.

"Monstrous...children?" Meirong said to Mi-Yuan, a puzzled eyebrow raised. "I've said everything relevant to the situation. You, now, need to explain this to me. Remember, I was here for another mission."

Meirong narrows her striking eyes at Cheng. "Where were you trained that you don't understand basic concepts, hm?" She sighs, exasperated. "We need to stop all this," she said, motioning around them, "Or else it's certainly curtains for our fair seat of civilization."

"May we walk and talk? Time is money...and lives. That's the important part."

Actana
2015-02-12, 04:14 PM
"The possessed children are likely a byproduct of what is happening around us: increased spirit activity, and thus the possession, would be explained by this manifestation. However, right now our first priority is ending this, then trying to contain what it has wrought. Meirong is right, we should get moving", Li Feng says with grave seriousness. "Meirong", he addresses the Bat, "Do you have information on the catalyst causing this? A trail to follow, a lead to its location? Some other knowledge we can use?" Teamwork was essential in situations like this, and withholding information was not conductive to anyone's situation. Like it or not, everyone here had become a team now.

silphael
2015-02-20, 04:55 PM
"Of course I want to go solve that, but where to? I don't think we have enough informations for that..."

He seems quite calmer than earlier.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-02-22, 01:27 PM
Where indeed, he couldn't say, that part at least had never been thought up. Should he say it was the Dojo of his so-called master The Red Hound? Or would some other lie suffice? The problem of course that the Bat would be able to find out quickly if he were to lie and just as quickly if he told the truth. However with all that was one thing of note, the Bat didn't already know. It was a small favor that she didn't, Cheng could only imagine what the Bat might think were she to know he'd killed his master and taken his dojo as his own. He decided a shrug would suffice as answer, listening to the others, "So this azure stuff, it's causing the problems like with that kid?"

NyuBomber
2015-02-22, 04:17 PM
Meirong contemplates the ground with a finger to her mouth. "Where to, indeed. Follow me."

Meirong slowly stalks around the homes, careful to pause the group if she suspects danger, then signaling to continue. "Catalysts need time to gather the energy they need to activate. That takes much too long if it's passive, and there's a good chance it would be found. So, I think someone must have been feeding it. If so, they'd have to do so outside of the city...a pattern of missing or dead people turning up would surely be picked up on. And then, they'd have to drop it off...without me, Hound, Lion, or the townspeople noticing suspicious activity in the past few days."

The group reaches the edge of the house cluster, looking out on the park area, bathed azure. A stillness and silence settles over the grounds, its grass and water statuesque. "You've been in Shengmen longer than me. Where would you hide such an item in this area?"

Actana
2015-02-25, 01:59 AM
"Hmm..." Li Feng holds his chin for a moment, contemplating any possible places the catalyst could be located in. "A remote region of the city seems most likely, however..." his voice trails off as a dark look appears on his face.

"I do not wish to speak treason, but it is possible there may be conspiratorial forces against us. The ideal place to store dangerous items is in plain sight, in a place where it can be seen but never questioned. I wish I am not right in this, but we cannot overlook treachery within the court itself."

Laughing_Dragon
2015-02-25, 05:54 PM
Cheng stood and pondered the question for a time himself, "I don't suppose it might have been smuggled into the 'impenetrable' fortress in the city. That's where I'd hide it, where it would be protected by half the city and every ward imaginable. Whoever stole from there in the first place could have used it as a dry run for smuggling something back in for safe keeping." He shrugged, "Other than that, I've been here only a day, I'm afraid I don't know anymore than you do where might be a good place to hide that, er, spirit catalyst thing you were talking about." Talking was probably not his best course of action, but it was the only one open to the 'Bandit Lord'. He didn't want to talk, every word he spoke seemed to paint him more and more as the novice that he was, a fact he did not want disseminated anymore than he wanted it known that he was considered a Bandit by the Hound Clan and likely the Lion Clan as well.

This entire endeavor was quickly becoming quite complicated and startlingly so.

silphael
2015-02-27, 07:34 PM
As Li Feng started thinking, Mi-Yuan started gathering his chi. If that artifact really had such power, it would no matter what react to a strong chi, or at least somehow disturb a chi field deployed to detect. That method of detection is definitely not his specialty, but among his allies he probably is the only one able to afford that kind of chi outburst. In silence, moving slightly, eyes semi closed, he try to extend both his chi and his perceptions as far as he can.

Right now I'm trying to create an advantage based on chi : "Chi extend out of Body"

[roll0]

NyuBomber
2015-02-27, 11:11 PM
"I was speaking of our immediate vicinity, as finding the catalyst is key to preventing disaster, and it must be within here.

"But, now that you mention it...I, unfortunately, cannot rule out that this may go higher than I anticipated. Ease of access...inscrutable movements...yes, the method is a possibility. A theory without a motive or evidence, but perhaps an additional player does lie in the shadows." Meirong puts her finger to her lip, deep in thought, then gives her first smile of the evening, sly and potentially condescending as may have been. "I will keep it in mind. Very insightful, Lions."

"However, we still have the concern of the crossroads. What say you, youngest Lion? ...Hello?"

Mi-Yuan uses Chi skill to Create situation aspect Sense the Catalyst- (4d3-4)[3]
Passive Resistance: +2
Mi-Yuan creates the situation aspect Sense the Catalyst
Mi-Yuan gains 1 free invocation of Sense the Catalyst

Concentrating proves surprisingly easy in the eery sereness of the crossroads...almost too easy. The flow of various energies is free and fast here. Mi-Yuan's mind sinks in...deeper, deeper still.

And then the tsunami of vile, spiritual interference comes down on him, as a loose boulder meets an unaware traveler. It pulls him...deeper, deeper still. But, the young man retains his concentration, steadies his fortitude, goes no deeper. Rather than "seeing" where the item might be, he experiences the opposite: an area, to the near northwest, around the bend from some buildings in the physical space, where he cannot stand to look with his mind's eye, a foreboding concentration of corrupted chi.

Meirong waved her hand in front of Mi-Yuan's face.

Actana
2015-02-28, 02:13 AM
Li Feng lets out a small smile at Mi-yuan. "He's trying to sense the catalyst. Let him be, he'll come back to us soon", he says to Meirong. He steps towards the meditating shen lieren, appraising his composure. "Can you see it?"

silphael
2015-02-28, 08:41 AM
Panting, eyes now wide open, Mi-Yuan talked quickly :

"Northwest from here... and it's near. I can't be more precise : I could get drained... but ?"

He gazes Meirong.

"You said it had to gather incredible amounts of chi, right? Such an ominous amount cannot be gathered without... large scale sacrifice, for what I perceived. Let's go now!"

His resolve now refreshed, his eyes are fierce again.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-03-02, 07:53 PM
Useless. Originally he had the feeling he was not quite as useful as the other two, but that feeling was quickly growing as their fourth had tended her own wounds and the other two began the process of locating the Spirit thing. He did his best to hide his disappointment in himself, in having quickly and now repeatedly forgetting the whole of what they were searching for was called. Of all the things he could know that should be one given the name was said more than once, regardless he stood by not knowing.

Catalyst, there was the word again and now it finally stuck, but one word did not make him knowledgeable and now with a Bat Clan Spirit Hunter he could feel the last grains of sand in his usefulness running out. He frowned, he'd need to prove himself quickly as useful before the Bat removed the veil of secrecy around him.

NyuBomber
2015-03-02, 11:37 PM
As the group sneaks across the park, a low hum begins to emerge. Not the beating of insect wings, but human voices in a slow, unified sound, rising and then lowering, rising and lowering...

It grows louder as the shen-lieren near the source. The area that Mi-Yuan had designated was heavily surrounded by bushes, so the group has no problem hiding to observe.

On their knees, Blue Boys and Blue Girls sit in a circle around a small pond, a count of ten from what the group can see. Each one, including the boy from the earlier encounter, had the same fish-like elements on their appearance. They sway left and right, humming, everything in-synch, hypnotized by what lies int he center. In the pond, rising above as it spins on a spike of water, is a golden hoop, perhaps some manner of head-adornment.

Behind each child is a pile of clothes, likely stolen from the homes in the area. They go around the circle, clockwise, each tossing an item in -- a robe here, a pair of pants there, an earring, and so on. The water spike morphs into a hand-like form, reaching toward the hoop.

"That's it. The catalyst," Meirong whispers. "I can nullify it if I can get my hands on it. I cannot tell if it will help what I presume to be your puppet-children to do so."

Actana
2015-03-03, 05:18 AM
Li Feng sighs. Not because of the pond, but because of the children around it. This was not going to be easy to do without casualties.

"We need a distraction. Lure what we can to clear a path to the catalyst", he says to the others silently. "I doubt the water will let us pass either, there's bound to be some sort of defenses on the item."

Going to use Lore to identify any sort of potential defenses on the item. Identifying any of either the item's or the scenes aspects based on defenses or ways to bypass them, and create free invocations on it.
[roll0]

silphael
2015-03-04, 09:15 PM
"As strong as we can be, I don't think anyone here can be considered a Master, and they are quite numerous... I mean, if we have to care not to heavily hurt them. Can't we do something with their rags though? That may distract them... We can try to jump in and beat them down, but in that case there is nearly no way none will be heavily wounded at the very least..."

He seems concerned.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-03-07, 06:19 PM
Cheng looked upon the scene and frowned. He held the frown as he listened to the others contemplate aloud the situation, there wasn't any good solution to be had, but there was one he thought he might be able to manage. For a moment he looked up at the abnormally Azure sky, these three knew how to stop the Catalyst, he did not. He smiled and patted his belly, still feeling full from the meal they'd had not long ago, Got a good last meal at least if it goes sour. He inclined his head downward and looked between his companions, "I'll distract them. Get their attention as many as I can and take them on a chase. They won't be able to run me down, the hounds never could so these possessed children stand even less a chance, but I can make it seem otherwise." He grinned, "As many as I can, I'm a fun one to chase." He looked at the Bat, she had to know at least a little what he meant.

Actana
2015-03-07, 07:07 PM
"The Hounds?" Li Feng raises an eyebrow towards Cheng. "You hold some secrets with you, do you not? No matter, they shall not distract us from the task at hand. Draw away as many as you can, but do not stray too far. You do not want to get lost in this place."

NyuBomber
2015-03-09, 05:40 PM
Meirong met Cheng's cocky, knowing grin with her beautiful scowl. "While our friend is distracting the children, we will still have to worry about that thing in the water. Judging from the way they seem to be feeding those clothes to it, I say it's a major spirit trying to create a stable form in our realm. The process behind it is fascinating, but add it to the pile of things I can tell you about later.

"What I'm trying to say is, you two need to draw its attention away from me."

The Bat flicked both wrists, producing a strikingly plain, hinged oak box, a little larger than what they can tell about the size of the gold hoop.

"Whenever you're ready, my dears."

Actana
2015-03-11, 02:01 AM
Li Feng nods silently as he grips his weapon. There should be no hesitation in action, no steps back. They had a goal, and that goal needs to be fulfilled. He focuses his thoughts, letting his hesitations expel themselves from his mind before the upcoming fight. Once Cheng would begin his distraction, Li Feng makes sure he is ready.

[roll0] to Create an Advantage A Mind Cold as Steel.

silphael
2015-03-11, 07:46 AM
Clawing his hands again, Mi-Yuan took a deep breath, trying to compensate the chi he had used to locate the ritual, while thinking about all that could happen if they were to fail.

No way I'm gonna let them do that!

Chi[/B]]4d3-4 to create an advantage Soul ablaze with Chi.

Edit : That didn't worked as I wanted, gonna post the roll in OOC.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-03-14, 08:22 AM
Yet more things to add to the pile of things that Cheng wholly didn't understand or in the case of Li Feng's rhetorical question, things he planned on never explaining fully. He let out a sigh as the frown passed and he strode out into the clearing around the pool. At first he remained quiet, reaching down and picking up some rocks from the path. He frowned and looked down at the stones in his hand before looking back up and yelling, "Heads up you little ****s!" There would be casualties, children were always the worst sort to see hurt, but if he couldn't get the children off the pool and the others couldn't get the spirit's attention then most if not all of them would die. Better in the end that a few of them get hurt than all of them die painfully. He swung his arm and threw the rocks at the furthest child then began quickly going from child to child knocking them over where possible and kicking them and generally being a menace to society.

He glared at the center, hopefully if they were all crying and scrambling to sit up it would disrupt the Spirit's process. Hopefully.

NyuBomber
2015-03-17, 08:21 PM
Cheng Provoke Overcome roll = (4d3-6)[2]
Active Opposition from The Blue Children - (4d3-8 + 1 Will) (Rolled 10 times, once for each Child)
Results: 2 Failures; 1 Tie; 6 Successes; 1 Success with Style!

2 Children do not give chase
1 Child gives chase and gains the aspect On Cheng's Heels
6 Children give chase
1 Child is taken out of the scene!
One of Cheng's chucked rocks, whether accidentally or purposefully, nails one of the children square in the side of the head and knocks her out cold.

A pair grunt and resume tossing clothes in from their piles.

The majority, however, are summarily angered by his antics. Like agitated wasps, they go after him, clumsily pursuing on hands and feet. The Blue Boy from earlier is particularly aggrieved, and threatens to take him down with his tenacity, literally nipping at Cheng's heels.

Li Feng Lore CaA roll = (4d3-4)[1]
Passive Opposition: +0
Li Feng creates situation advantage Instinctual Irrationality on The Watery Spirit!
Li Feng gains one free invocation of Instinctual Irrationality!
The catalyst itself escapes Li Feng's purview of knowledge other than looking like a form of headwear, but the state of The Watery Spirit is clear. The "hand" splits into five large tentacles they flail wildly, as the golden loop stays floating mid-air.

Li Feng recalls that spirits, as the polar opposite of humans, are beings of chaos. Controlling that chaos, therefor, is what leads to the most powerful spirits. Rituals are key to this procedure, when it comes to spirits gaining a foothold on Meng Xiang. Random manifestations tend to be...intelligent animals, so to speak. Whether Veilist-sourced or the machinations of a force within the Realm of the Black Veil itself, the most dangerous spirits came through rituals. The crossroads itself was a ritual.

So, what Cheng did was just disrupt the process, leaving The Watery Spirit in flux between chaos and order, stuck in an instinctual need to protect itself, but not able to formulate plans beyond that. However, this is not to say it won't act and maim. Because it certainly will if left alone.

Passive Opposition: +1

Li Feng gains his situation aspect and one free invocation!
Mi-Yuan gains his situation aspect and one free invocation!

Actana
2015-03-18, 03:32 PM
Li Feng looks upon the distraction Cheng managed to cause, nodding in approval. Very effective, he thinks to himself before taking a glance at Mi-yuan. Outside of the sight of Meirong, he indicates Mi-yuan to engage the remaining two children. Despite trusting the Bat so far, Li Feng was not entirely willing to place the acquisition of the catalyst in her hands.

silphael
2015-03-19, 09:45 PM
Jumping out of the brushes, Mi-Yuan runs toward the remaining blue creatures, ready to take them down as mercifully as possible. Pawing his hands, as Tiger playing with his Prey, he strikes the first creature.

"You just have to stay down now!"

Gonna strike one of the blue reamining creature, trying to reduce the trauma on it, better not kill it.

[roll0] getting +1 weapon rating from Tiger style (not taken into account) if it has lower chi than me.

Also, Chi Armor!

[roll1]

Actana
2015-03-20, 01:55 AM
With Mi-yuan occupying the other creatures, Li Feng rushes out too, dodging and weaving through the ensuing chaos, all while heading towards the golden headband in the center. taking a running start, he leaps into the air and attempts to grab the catalyst.

Athletics to Overcome any obstacles leading to the Catalyst, as well as making it there before Meirong:
[roll0]

Free Chi armor:
[roll1]

Laughing_Dragon
2015-03-23, 06:31 PM
Eight of ten of the children were no longer performing the ritual, which was good, not perfect but more than enough to give the rest of the team breathing room all they would need to do is gently disable the other two. Fortunately for Cheng he didn't have time to watch as Mi-Yuan ran up and began beating on on of the children. He heard him however and that alone was enough to make him frown. This wasn't the time however to philosophize on the morality of hurting children or applying excessive force, every one of them was to a degree infected with the Azurness that sufficed the air around them and he reminded himself, death was assured if they failed.

Failure wasn't an option that Cheng could allow, so to help ensure it he would have to create his second casualty, the Blue Boy. The child was likely still injured from before but that apparently didn't stop him from being quick, he was to close to ignore and so with a quick snap of his leg he spun about and kicked at the boy's shoulder, such an injury would surely slow him down and make keeping ahead of all the children simultaneously much easier.

Aiming not to insta-gib or completely shatter every bone in his shoulder, maybe just the collar bone or arm.
Fight: [roll0]

NyuBomber
2015-03-23, 09:51 PM
The Watery Spirit's Jianghu Rank: 2 = Passive Opposition +2

Mi-Yuan Roll = 4
Result: Success! Creates Chi Armor advantage on self w/ one free invocation

Li Feng Roll = 0
Result: Failure! Chi Armor is not created.
Li Feng finds it too difficult to concentrate on focusing his energies off-hand at the moment. Either the crossroads or the monster's unstable state are directly interfering interfering with the flow of chi in the area.

Meirong seems stunned by the situation, barely making a protest when Li Feng makes his move for the golden hoop.

The Watery Spirit, however, senses a threat and responds appropriately. As Li Feng dashes towards it, additional smaller tentacles spring from the ground in an attempt to wrestle him down. Li Feng fidns part of the ground giving out under his feet, and leaps...

Watery Spirit Overcome Action to Stop Li Feng: (4d3-8 +2 Athletics)[3]

Li Feng Roll = 4

He grabs the hoop, barely avoiding a large main tendril as it tries to wrap itself around him! Li Feng's hand securely grasps the hoop, which gives the sensation of being wet to his touch, and lands on the other side of the pond.

A disembodied, shrill cry pierces the air, obviously coming from the spirit as its main tentacles hone on Li Feng in a flurry of walloping slams!

Watery Spirit Attack Roll: (4d3-8+3 Fight)[1]
The Watery Spirit spends a Fate point and invokes its Instinctual Irrationality aspect, owing to its frenzied base need for survival and unpredictable nature to reroll its Attack: (4d3-8+3 Fight)[0]

Watery Spirit's tears taste so sweet!
At the same time as the spirit's cry goes out, the (conscious) Blue Children all turn back toward the action at the pond. The fishy features on their bodies glow brightly, and plainly visible strands of energy drift upwards from their bodies. The distraction leaves them all open for Mi-Yuan and Cheng's attacks.

Mi-Yuan Attack = +6 (The child has lower chi)
Blue Child Passive Opposition (distracted) = +1
Result: Blue Child is taken out of the conflict!
Cheng Attack = +5
Blue Child Passive Opposition (distracted) = +1
Result: Blue Child is taken out of the conflict!
The two children go down easily. Both Cheng and MI-Yuan are certain they felt some bones break.

The remaining seven Blue Children turn and clumsily scramble toward Li Feng, prepared to ignore anything Mi-Yuan or Cheng may throw in their way to get to him.

Just gonna roll this as one horde: Overcome to move to Li Feng: (4d3-8+2 Athletics)[-1]

Oppose with active or passive opposition as you see fit
With everything focused on everything else but herself, Meirong snaps out of her daze and darts around the pond and closer to Li Feng, making motions for him to get the loop to her.

Actana
2015-03-24, 10:43 AM
Not in a position to actively fight back against the watery tendrils, Li Feng attempts to dodge the incoming blows. Once the spirit seems to relent, he musters up all his available power and channels it into the hoop in an attempt to destroy the catalyst.

Defending with Athletics against the spirit's attacks.
[roll0]

Attacking(?) the catalyst with Chi. If not attacking as an action, then attempting to destroy it in some other way.
[roll1]

silphael
2015-03-27, 09:19 PM
"Do I need to repeat myself? You will stay here, just lie down!"

Stopping the kids on their tracks, he began putting them to sleep.

"Good night everyone!"

To limit the damage I inflict to them I will not use the chi claw advantage, so no +1 weapon rating.

[roll0]

Gonna use the passive athletics defense to avoid the overcome action (+1).

Laughing_Dragon
2015-03-30, 11:33 AM
It was almost painful to feel the child's bones break, but such was the situation, when all was done and the spirit stopped Cheng would meld with the peasantry and the Lions would take the blame for the harm done to the children. In the mean time they needed to be stopped, leg sweeps would be less than effective against the scampering children, what was more effective was Mi-Yuan's assault on them, near helpless though they were.

Have to spar with them. Charging their backs he tucked foot under limbs and lifted, grabbed clothes and yanked and generally made a nuisance of himself as he attempted not to kill or injure, but simply slow and hamper their movement and attacks.

So lets fight and try not to break any more bones! :D [roll0]

NyuBomber
2015-04-01, 10:03 PM
You beat up a bunch of children, I hope you're happy.
The Blue Children, children that they are, are completely unable to overcome the stalwart defenses of the martial artists.

Li Feng roll: 3 + 2 (Mind as Cold as Steel invocation) = 5
Passive opposition: +5
Result = Tie!
Li Feng succeeds, but at a minor cost!
Li Feng gains aspect Haunted
As Li Feng concentrates, honing in on the loop in his grasp, piercing his mind's eye to its core, channeling his chi into it as he'd been taught to do...something pushes back. Not a malicious presence, no. It doesn't strike or threaten or roar. It bellows. His efforts are like walking headlong into the winds of a tornado. Somehow, he feels as if the resistance is natural, not spirit-aligned, something to be expected. It forces him back. It almost forces him out. Something pushes past him. But, Li Feng is not stopped; he can not, not at this opportunity. He blocks out all distraction around him, and sees the goal. With one more concentrated effort, the presence ceases to be. There is nothingness in the golden loop. It is inanimate.

Meirong's yelling slowly comes into earshot. "You idiot! You imbecile! What are you doing! All you had to do was hand the damned thing to me! I --!"

She is cut off as the azure atmosphere turns to a distinct shade of purple, and all sound evaporates. All of the children cease struggling, falling unconscious, as the strands of chi connecting them, from the base of their necks, become plainly visible. They connect to the watery spirit, which itself is flailing its tentacles toward the sky in eerie silence. The surface of the lake pulsates up and down...up, like a bubble...down, like a concave glass...and back up..down...up, down, up, down, up,down,up,downupdown--!

Pop.

Sound rushes back in as the spirit's body gives in to its instability, spraying blue ichor everywhere, coating the buildings and grass and children and standing shen lieren. It stinks to to high Heaven, like a corpse stuffed with bear manure, rotted cheeses, and sulfur. The odor particularly gets to Mi-Yuan, who is still feeling the effects of his ill-advised Shengmen Surprise efforts.

Mi-Yuan, give me a Physique Overcome roll!
Meirong is particularly drenched in the stuff, and looks positively mortified about it. Her gagging and hanging arms may, in fact, be her method of going into shock.

The violet air dissipates, and things begin to appear as normal as they can, given the spirit blood.

A mighty thunder rolls toward the site of the struggle. Dozens upon dozens of feet, hooves galloping down on the group. It's too fast to react.

The Lions are upon them, from all sides.

Leading the charge is a fearsome commander, clad in golden metal and billowing scarlet cloth, mounted on a fearless white mare. Li Feng knows the horse's pet name, for it is ranked above any officer in the clan: Superior.

And he knows only one person is above the horse in the heirarchy, only one is allowed...capable..., no, destined to ride Superior into battle in order to protect the Imperial Family and Meng Xiang. With no hesitation, the figure leaps from the horse's back. In doing so, she spins before landing. In doing so, four spears are ejected from her back, and they embed themselves at the feet of Li Feng, Mi-Yuan, Cheng, and Meirong.

"Halt. Explain your situation, commanding officer. Now." She clearly knows the two proper Lions, and they know that the spears in the dirt at their feet are still a grave danger to their well-being, and they both know that every word from Lady Mu, the Demon of Spears, Master of the Lion Clan is a command.

Surrounding the group is a circle of Lions, ready with sword and shield and stave and bow and hammer, still as statues, ready to follow Lady Mu's command without question.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-04-05, 09:42 PM
Cheng stood disgusted, looking down at the children he'd helped to pummel into submission. He held out his hands and stared at them a flash of memory reminding him of his childhood and the injuries that he had endured. Just as he clenched his fists back up and was getting ready to join battle with the spirit, it exploded into a near literal fountain of gore. The stench was horrible, but the color combined with the suddenness and the release of the Azureness in the air made him laugh out loud.

That laughing stopped immediately when a spear landed close to his feet and pierced the ground. He looked up at the source and went deathly pale in that instant of realization. He breathed the words out as he stared at her, "The Demon of Spears." Double Life or no, he knew of her and knew if she caught even the barest wind, he was likely doomed to a quick and painful death, probably? At a level he wasn't aware of his fear was possibly just a little over blown and the result of undue paranoia.

Actana
2015-04-06, 02:25 AM
It worked. Li Feng wasn't entirely sure it would have worked when he began his course of action, but it had. But his smile of relief was quickly replaced by the surrounding spears and subsequent Lions. With customary respect, Li Feng places the hilt of his glaive to the ground and performs a deep bow, heedless of the amount of spirit entrails on him.

"My lady", he says without lifting himself from the bow. "There was a... Disturbance in the water, but it has been subdued and awaits further inspection of damage caused." he continues curtly from his position, being the essence of humility. For now, it might not be best to talk of any more detail in public, nor to make any unwarranted claims about the threat before more has been confirmed.

silphael
2015-04-06, 02:03 PM
Dizzied by both the rain of blue gore and the remaining shengmen surprise, Mi-Yuan could barely keep standing, especially now that the call of battle finally died, and let alone really understand what was happening around him.

Yet he tried. Not really about what was happening now that they are out, but about what was happening to those that were in with them, trying to see if he could do anything to help the kids. To avoid falling over, he sit near the kids he just subdued, and began giving them parts of his own Chi.

Gonna start using the Overwhelming Chi stunt. That's gonna take a while anyway, and I'm not gonna really pay attention to the stuff happening around me... because the pressure is too big anyway right now.

NyuBomber
2015-04-06, 08:10 PM
"I see."

The spears in front of Mi-Yuan and Li Feng vibrate violently for a second before spinning out of the ground and, guided by some unseen force, plant themselves behind Cheng and Meirong, the latter of which was now shaking violently and looking about.

"I do not like unknown factors, Officer Li Feng." While more relaxed, the Lion Master strode quickly over to Meirong. "I count two. Tell me who this is."

Meirong and Mu made eye contact. A flash of realization glimmered in Mu's eyes. A flash of nausea caused Meirong to vomit on Mu's boot and collapse to her knees.

"Nevermind. Stranger!" Mu shouted at Li Feng. She disregarded the mess on her footwear as she strode over to him. "Who are you. Make a gesture toward Officer Li Feng if you, too, are getting ready to make your dinner known to everyone."

She was a diminutive woman, and still no Lion made a move, not without her command.

Mi-Yuan notices that the children are now free of the fish-like features, though covered in blue muck where those traits once embedded themselves in their skin. Nothing a scrub wouldn't wipe away.

Actana
2015-04-07, 08:53 AM
"My lady, this one claims to be from the Bat clan", Li Feng motions towards Meirong without really acknowledging the state she was in. "And the other is a... Civilian, for the lack of a better word. He insisted on coming along despite any warnings about his safety." he manages to say before Lady Mu moved along. Li Feng wasn't ashamed of his actions, and would do the same again if he had to. Once Lady Mu had walked past him, he raises his head again and silently watches the scene unfold, eying Meirong curiously.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-04-12, 09:57 AM
It was like standing in front of Him again. Sure she was shorter and didn't appear as bulky as him, but there were other things about her, the way she carried herself and the way she inspired blind obedience in the Lions. It shook him down to his core. All confidence drained away and was replaced with submission as he snapped to attention, locking his eyes forward as every muscle stiffened. Even his reenforced guts boiled inside him, threatening to emerge and bring low tide to central Shengmen. He sucked the breath down and announced clearly, and in a voice that didn't so much respect the Demon of Spears as fear her, "I will hold it in!" He remained at attention as a little color drained from his face, he couldn't remember how he was supposed to respond, had that ever been gone over or was it always wrong just so his minions had reason to beat on him. Hands open, mouth shut, eyes forward, brace, brace, brace.

NyuBomber
2015-04-14, 07:44 PM
Mu gave Chen a stern sideways glance before socking him in the arm and bursting into laughter. "Now that's a soldier."

The spears flew out of the ground and slide into a sheath upon the master's back as she turned to face the confused-looking Lion horde. "As Officer Li Feng stated, it appears as if a spiritual disturbance reared up in our midst, but our brave comrades subdued the threat with minimal damage." She eyed the children. "Well, minimal as could have been helped, but no apparent loss of life.

"Menders, tend to the children and be prepared to take in more victims if we find them.

"Investigators, gather all evidence you can find as to the nature of our enemy. And do not leave a spot of this spirit blood on the ground, while you're at it.

"Sergeants, lead your infantry, spread out, and secure the area sector-by-sector.

"General Heng."

"Yes, my lady!" A mustached older man stepped forward, his right hand ready on his sheathed sword.

"Set-up a temporary command post, co-ordinate the quarantine of this area for the time being, and see that the displaced citizens are lodged until we can move them back in."

"Yes, my lady! You heard her, maggots, I want you three over here and..." Heng's commands faded into the background.

"Li Feng, Mi-Yuan, Stranger-Whose-Name-I-Do-Not-Know, and...you." Mu's expression hardened as she grasped Meirong by the arm. "Come with me."

Dragging the whining Meirong along through the muck, Mu leads the group to a nearby dwelling, kicks the door in, tosses Meirong inside, and beckons the others in.

"Now," Mu said in a hushed tone. "Who wants to tell me exactly what is going on and why you are working with my niece, a Master of Bat Clan, who trouble follows like a shadow."

Meirong does nothing but look down at the floor.

silphael
2015-04-15, 03:48 AM
Mi-Yuan took some time to react to the presence of the menders, but finally followed Mu.

"She lead us there after convincing them our help was needed. By them I mean both of them." He shows his comrades, the keep talking. "She owes us explanations and details now."

Actana
2015-04-15, 02:39 PM
Li Feng couldn't lie. Not to Lady Mu at least. Nothing good would come out of falsehoods at this moment. However, some details might be best omitted. Feeling a slightly uneasy presence lingering around him, Li Feng strode into the building, observing Meirong even more curiously than before. Nephew to Lady Mu? Now that was interesting. He still kept hold of the former catalyst and what remained of it, unknowingly keeping a tight grip around the thing.

Once Mi-yuan finished, Li Feng spoke up. "We arrived on a different purpose, but this spirit incursion showed itself and we could not leave it unchecked. While there our paths crossed", he mentions towards Meirong. "And dealt with the situation with the resources we had available. There was a ritual going on, a spirit attempting to enter our realm, and partially drawing us into its realm at the same time." he says with concern in his voice.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-04-19, 11:27 AM
Cheng didn't flinch, he couldn't flinch, not if he wanted to eat later, not if he wanted to see straight. After he recovered from the punch however he returned to a stiff as a board stance, staring forward. He was waiting for release, for the Master to send him and his... He stole a glance around and failed to notice his comrades, his fellow conscripts in the Monstrous Master's dojo. The sight stopped him and tore him half back into reality. Following the woman who was the demon of spears with his eyes helped to completely remove the veil of madness from him. The world became 'normal' after a fashion and with a sudden exhalation he began to relax.

His shoulders slumped for a moment before he squared back off and reached up with a hand, checking the soreness in his arm. He grimaced and slowly wandered away from where he'd come to attention, working his way over near the two Lions and the Bat. This was the business of real clans, not the one he'd made up for himself to make himself feel better, that wasn't going to stop him from eves dropping though.

NyuBomber
2015-04-20, 10:00 PM
Meirong perked up. Smiled. She was a shark who heard flailing.

"Oh, don't hold back now, my dear. Lay all the truths out." The Bat stood up. "We crossed paths as you said, yes, this is true. We also laid out a plan. And you...you sought your own glory instead of what was best." She approached Li Feng and muttered, "Typical Lion."

"Bow and apologize for that remark, girl."

"I will later, Aunt Mu. Right now, I owe our comrades some more truths. Three words are key to the reason I'm here after the...misfortune of my last visit."

Lady Mu's eyes narrowed, but she nodded for Meirong to continue.

"The Midnight Auction."

"What." Mu was on top of Meirong in an instant, slamming her against the wall, drawing a yelp of pain. "Explain. Now."

Meirong cackled. "First, your glory-seeking soldier has to explain. Say what you did, Li Feng. How you messed everything up despite my clear instructions and the clear opportunity to reach our goal properly."

Mu pressed her forearm into Meirong's throat a touch harder, causing the Bat Master to gag. She turned to Li Feng, expectantly, her eyes clear and beautiful as always.

Actana
2015-04-21, 01:55 AM
"She is right", Li Feng says with a faint smile. "I do owe her an explanation for my actions", he bows slightly towards Meirong, keeping up a respectful demeanor. "Catalysts are volatile objects. I did not wish to risk the life of someone with such potential as you. I, on the other hand, am older and more expendable - were something to go wrong, as one can never discount the possibility, the loss of such an unimportant person as myself would grieve the world less than if a younger and more ambitious person would to have perished. Furthermore, you had sustained injury and I wished not to risk making it worse."

"Yet", his eyes harden slightly, though keeping his smile up. "the task is done, and the catalyst was rendered inert. I stand by my actions, and come another situation I would do it again."

NyuBomber
2015-04-23, 10:11 PM
Mu nodded and stepped away, allowing Meirong to collapse to the floor and collect her breath -- partially from getting choked, partially from being flabbergasted.

"How kind of you. I'm even willing to overlook it was you who stabbed me."

"You probably deserved it. The Midnight Auction, tell me what business you have with it and why it has brought you here."

"A mission, and it needed the catalyst," Meirong responded, motioning to the hoop in Li Feng's grasp. "Entrance to the Auction is only granted if you bring an item of sufficient worth to sell. And if my knowledge holds true, that would have been a perfect ticket. Rare, dangerous, and ready to be unleashed. I've spent months and many favors tracking it down, only to have him make it completely worthless."

"So you were willing to risk the safety of the Emperor's seat for your own gain, otherwise you would have brought this item's existence to my attention."

"I had things under control until your men came along."

"Tell me what you planned to do at the Auction. Something self-serving, no doubt."

"We don't have time for this! I need to get a stolen item back and so do you."

Lady Mu sucks on her teeth, then nods.

"Li Feng," Meirong said, moving close to the Lion. "What did you do to make a gold item absolutely worthless?"

Laughing_Dragon
2015-04-25, 09:43 PM
Cheng contained a snicker at the expense of the bickering between Aunt, Niece and the unrelenting self sacrificing of the Lion. As he listened he put two and two together to finally make four, the Bat had been containing at the very least and possibly had almost managed to extract the Catalyst from its home in the pond before they had interrupted. He took a step back, let out a sigh and muttered, "We're all idiots." He made to step away from the trio, thinking as much as he could manage to try and imagine what might replace in value something like what Meirong had nearly extracted.

The Midnight Auction wasn't something known to him before, but now he knew it might soon be connected to matters he cared about. He now even knew the rules of entry which gave him the tools if not the supplies needed for entry. Recreating the Catalyst was right out, risks aside he hadn't the knowledge to even summon up the most minor spirits leave aside, create, power and then contain something as complicated as a catalyst. Strength had its benefits, always, but not knowing more than the barest basics of spirits was quickly becoming a liability.

However, he could investigate, "Bat Clan isn't known for all or nothing plans, did you have a backup entry fee in the works?" He stood off a little from the group, he was after all they had been through already, still very much and outsider. A fact he was acutely aware of.

silphael
2015-04-30, 02:28 PM
Midnight Auction? If it's what it seems, it should be the perfect place to burst through to start making myself a name... and possibly to find allies or support for later.

Mi-Yuan was thinking a lot about it, his ambitions feeding at themselves, showing him his goals.

And every one of his allies had a place in it.

Actana
2015-05-05, 01:58 AM
"The force in the catalyst was expelled through an application of chi energy. According to all estimates by now the force will have returned harmlessly to the spirit realm." Li Feng answered. While he could have berated Meirong about her plan, it would not have produced any sort of positive net gain for anyone, and it wouldn't be anything she hadn't heard already. "Perhaps you wish to take a closer look at it?" Li Feng extends the catalyst towards Meirong.

NyuBomber
2015-05-06, 08:30 PM
"Who taught you that, hm? Not an Owl." Meirong took the loop in one hand and Li Feng's own hand in the other. Wearing the golden circlet on her wrist, she began to trace his palm lines with her pinky. "Catalysts do not function on spirit's corrupt chi, and even if they did, it would not just 'return' to the Black Veil. Chi lingers. It's why you feel so serene in properly maintained shrines and why people get mostly nightmares in the ghettos.

Meirong's eyes seem to shimmer. "No, I see the truth. Catalysts absorb pure chi, our chi, and twist it for the spirits. You expelled that energy. Where do you think it went, hm."

"New plan. I'm going to sell the three of you at the Midnight Auction."

"Explain."

"You can put anything up for sale. And who wouldn't want their own personal shen lieren to order around, take revenge on...dissect? It'll be fine."

silphael
2015-05-08, 08:43 AM
"That would be stupidly dangerous... and I see no particular reason me or our new found ally could have any kind of worth for such a situation. Herre is my part of the plan : as a shen-lieren, Li Feng is quite dangerous, and you needed people to ensure a cannot hurt them. But why do you want to get there is still unclear to me..."

Actana
2015-05-08, 01:25 PM
Li Feng raised a subtle eyebrow at Meirong's new suggestion while hiding his unease at the overall situation. She certainly had a lot of gall to suggest such a thing. He looked at Mi-yuan once he had finished his objections. "Our new friend clearly has something important she needs at the Auction, otherwise such measures would not be proposed. You must be quite desperate", he says inquisitively, intentionally omitting his own personal feelings on the matter. "But I do not believe it is our decision. We have a superior ranking officer present. My lady?" Li Feng turns his gaze towards Lady Mu, expecting an answer from her.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-05-13, 08:26 PM
Sheng let out a laugh, "Well that's a bit cobbled together as far as backup plans go, but it's better than nothing. However, might I suggest focusing on our lovely Lions?" He grins a bit, "I'm not going to be worth much compared to them and would it not make more sense that you and I bring in a pair of chained Lions than a lone Bat clan operative bringing in two lions and an unclanned Shen Lieren for sale?" He pulled himself back a bit, crossing his arms, "Or am I just the door fee and they the main course?" He blinked a bit at his own sudden bout of eloquence.

NyuBomber
2015-05-15, 07:12 PM
"So it...hinges on my insight." Mu walked toward the door of the home, checked outside, and shut it tight. Cut off from the ambient moonlight, the only illumination in the room was Meirong's orbiting mote of chi. "My soldiers are not your shadowy agents. I believe in equipping them with all knowledge of the situation unless extraordinarily necessary. Judging from their apprehensions -- and the jest of our guest -- you have not informed them of the weight they will be asked to burden.

"I will send my Lions -- and the stranger, who can now consider himself a conscript in service to the Imperial Family -- with you under three conditions: first, cease referring to yourself by your orphan name. You've ascended. You are proud of everything else, be proud of that accomplishment."

The Bat Clan master sucked in the air between her teeth. "It was part of my cover, a tactic. But very well. Lady Yu Nao, the Right Fang, and one-half of the Lovely Twins, masters of Bat Clan, at your service...my dears."

"Secondly." Mu grasped one of her spears and brought the butt-end of it down upon Meiro -- Lady Yu Nao's back, forcing her into a deep kneel. "You will apologize now for that slight and every slight against our good name that I was not present for."

"I'm sorry, deeply sorry, argh!"

Satisfied, Mu returned her weapon to the sheath on her back, then picked up her niece by the collar of her robe. "Thirdly, you will tell them what they are after. What was stolen from us."

Yu Nao's eyes dart side to side, the mental cogs spinning wildly. "That is not wise."

"But it's necessary and honorable."

"Fine. Fine!" Yu Nao turns away from the group, her arms akimbo and gaze on the floor. "But first, I want you all to know I would not ask you to do this plan if there was more time. People...are not property to be sold.

"Do you recall the first story you were told as children? About the Hell King's treachery, slaughter, and defeat? Do you recall what his punishment was? To humiliate and cripple him, Heaven ripped away his Right Eye, Right Hand, and Right Foot.

There's more to the story -- there always is, and like all the good parts, it's covered in darkness. When Demon King Zhong Kui sent the Original Masters out across the land before taking his place in Heaven, he gave each of them and identical box. Similar to the one I was going to use until somebody messed it up.

"Three of the boxes were empty.

"The remaining two contained the Right Hand and the Right Foot of Yama. For reasons unknown, Heaven itself could not contain the appendages. None of the Masters knew who was 'gifted' which. As it turned out, She of Glimmering Gems possessed the Right Foot. It has been with Bat Clan over the centuries. Until a few months ago, when the Glimmering Bank was burglarized. It was the only thing taken.

"What each Master did know was that the Right Eye would be entrusted to the Imperial Family. Its corrupt qualities could be safely utilized by mundane humans without threat of darker desires. Ever wonder how the shen-lieren manage to fill out the ranks rather well despite our collective segregation and thinly-spread condition? Why we, the protectors of the world, are forbidden from the palace? Why the spirits never strike there? You've heard the rumors. It is the item that was taken.

"These are not mere trophies. Each contains power enough to revitalize our familiar nemeses and spark a new massive and bloody conflict. It could be Veilists who somehow know of their existence and seek the revitalization of humanity's greatest nemesis...or it could be something else entirely. I've studied with the Owls -- this underwater breathing apparatus is courtesy of them -- and they have their theories on how the appendages could theoretically be used, though I'm no closer to figuring out if they, in fact, possess the Right Hand. Or if they would be insane enough to put them to use.

"In short, this must be an inside job, someone or someones with knowledge of these ironic treasures and the means to steal them. I've tracked the Foot to the Midnight Auction, and I suspect the Eye will be there as well. As far as I'm aware, the Hand is still in the possession of one of our sibling clans."

"Lion does not have it," Mu stated in a blunt matter of fact.

"...Which leaves Ox, Tortoise, or Owl. Either way, it is paramount that the items be recovered before true word gets out and sows discord. Just off the top of my head, Ox and Tortoise could re-ignite their old conflict. Or, Ox, with its size and self-reliance, could seek greater influence and territory for the Eastern Continent. Or Owl could venture down a path it truly should not investigate."

"So it is. So you must go." Mu looked toward her clansmen and the conscript. "If there are objections, speak up now."

Actana
2015-05-17, 10:45 AM
"You shall hear none from myself." Li Feng declared, resolute. "Your cause is honorable, and on my part I appreciate your willingness to share this knowledge. We now know the graveness of the situation, and we shall do what we can to aid you in reclaiming what has been lost." he continued, though later lowering his voice. "As for the Midnight Auction... That which must be done must be done. I am unsure who would wish to purchase an old man like myself, but if it should be, then so be it." he strikes the ground with the hilt of his glaive. "I stand with you."

He still couldn't trust this Lady Yu Nao, but for now there was benefit to be gained from the alliance. Maybe later, when the time was right, certain measures could be taken to make sure that those right and honorable would gain the upper hand from this endeavor.

silphael
2015-05-22, 06:41 AM
"I see no reason to object - well, actually I see some, but those won't make me object - therefore I will. Anything else you could know of interest here?"

He is clearly doubting that the Bat said everything she could.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-05-24, 06:06 PM
This is what he'd come all this way for, this information, it was everything he had thought he wanted and more, but in the end he realized something important: He wanted none of it. Taking possession of a portion of Yama? No that was above his ability to secure, particularly if it was above the Empire's ability to secure, it was too important, too sacred, too... Terrifying. He found his thoughts slipping away from finding this thief to congratulate him and perhaps learn from them or take them into the fold of his little fiefdom. Now his thoughts moved on from that to wanting to strangle the man, the damned Right Eye of Hell King Yama? There were lines, mostly a result of sanity and scale that no thief should cross, that was one of the few. This he was sure of after hearing the possible consequences of their reuniting.

He turned his head away, "Well it's not like I have a choice, but if I did, I would [/i]still[/i] be all in. What fool pilfers the Right Eye of that creature? I've heard the stories about the times before he was deposed, who would want a return to that madness!" He crossed his arms and let out a heavy sigh, "So then the plan I assume it to pretend to auction the three of us," he gestured toward himself and the two Lions who were not the Demon of Spears, "off then when we get in to find the Eye and steal it back?" He uncrossed his arms and looked away, if he had a pay grade, this entire operation would be well above it, the damned Right Fang of the bat clan and the Demon of Spears? He wasn't just in deep, he was a few fathoms under the surface and sinking fast.

NyuBomber
2015-05-26, 09:20 PM
"Well, I suppose if it will put your mind at ease--"

"The Midnight Auction is located within the spirits' realm. No more games, dear."

"Fine! Here are all the pieces on the table: I will smuggle you in as inventory, inside crates, under a paralytic concoction that will subside much sooner than I promise the inventory-handlers. Once inside wherever they store you -- and I'll be frank, I'm not sure where that will be, as you'll be the first-of-a-kind to my knowledge -- you should have free reign to emerge from your boxes and rummage about until the showcase portion of the evening, where you'll be put on display for customers to assess before the bidding session. Careful though, the walls have eyes.

"Once satisfied with our findings, I will pretty much burn through all of my remaining significant connections to win you back, safe and sound.

"Yes, it's behind the Black Veil. No, I will not share how to get in, dear aunt, it is too valuable. Yes, it is of utmost importance that I do this alone. If my connection senses other players in the vicinity, the bridge will be burned permanently and we'll lose our lead.

"Yes, it's run by a spirit. Yes, there will be spirit customers. And other humans. Yes, they're pretty much all vile...outside of me, naturally.

"No, there will not be conflict -- bad for business. The Auction Master has customers wear cloaks and masks that completely hide our identities, no matter size or shape. I'll be the one in the red bat mask, my usual attire. I'll connect with you again in the showcase. In case things go North, I have an escape plan, but I'd rather not enact it or tell you what it is. That is very important. Hopefully I can pull it off before the Auction Master intervenes.

"'Where will you get three man-sized crates at this time of night?,' you're thinking. Don't worry about it.

"Oh, and another thing: If you find one...or both pieces of Yama, it is of utmost importance that you do not try to utilize them. It will lead to fast corruption and dissolve our cover in the ensuing rush.

"Our little adventure begins in three hours. You will meet me at the entrance to the Docks.

"Any other questions?" Yu Nao crosses her arms and huffs a petulant huff.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-05-29, 08:05 PM
Cheng stood silent as the plan's entirety was laid out before him, he kept his jaw shut even as he wanted as a matter of course to let it fall agape. The plan was frankly ludicrous. There were so many points of failure to account for. As he looked up from the ground where he'd begun staring he let out a little chuckle, "Well... Uhh that, yeah that's a... hell of a backup plan." He wiped a hand down his face and sighed out loud, "Well, crap, if this goes badly I'm blaming you old man." He stared right at Li Feng as he spoke before letting out another sigh. This was what he'd come here for, right? Or not. The whole matter was so complicated now, far more than the bandit had thought it would be. The scope of the world was coming into sharper relief for him and as it did he was quickly becoming aware that having defeated his 'master' was not that great an accomplishment.

silphael
2015-05-29, 08:25 PM
Three hours? That will give us enough time to recover from that shengmen surprise...

Looking for a quiet place to meditate and recover from his condition, Mi-Yuan takes note of the rendez-vous.

Actana
2015-05-30, 06:25 AM
Li Feng listens passively to the plan, weighing the options - which, at the moment, weren't all that many. Without the Bat they had no chance of getting anywhere close to the objective without weeks, or even months, of preparation, and that was not time anyone had.

"I can only take the blame for myself, and you know this." Li Feng looks at Cheng, sporting a small grin on his face. "Yet if it makes you feel more secure, I will gladly take your supposed blame, for as long as our lives allow it."

"The docks, then." he nods at Yu Nao.

NyuBomber
2015-06-08, 10:19 PM
Shengmen, the Holy Gate - Docks - Summer - ~9:00 PM

The summer humidity did not let up, despite the rising of the moon.

Activity was winding down, people filing out after a hard day's work, whispers and murmurs on their lips about the troubles elsewhere in the city...rumors of a grand theft, speculation about the nature of the spirit incursion, complaints about the heat. What everyone needed was a good night's rest, as insecure as it might feel.

But not so for three particular shen lieren. They went against the flow, approached the unofficial "entrance" to the area, an ancient stone arc with shells and scratches embedded within, covered in various flyers of want: workers, employment, disciples, love...

Standing under the arc was Lady Yu Nao, now draped in a midnight black robe with intricate purple stitching and gold lace, an ornate hairpiece holding her hair in in a bun, the lantern light seeming to make her form shimmer.

She beckons. Through winding alleys you follow her, until the only light is the moon's reflection on her accessories. You come to a run-down square. In the center, in the dust and dirt, sit your three carriers.

Coffins. Wooden, bare, waiting with their respective lids besides.

She presents three brass needles, dripping in a clear, viscous liquid. You stand within your "crates," at the foot. She pricks each of your index fingers. The effect is instantaneous: you lose motor control, and though breathing is easy enough, your muscles lock, and you're on your back, stiff as a corpse, only able to unblinkingly watch as Yu Nao hurries to close each.

Silence and darkness. You can hear Yu Nao's feet pacing back and forth...five, ten, 20, you lose track of time passing. Suddenly, she stops. There's a sudden pop...a cork leaving a bottle. The sound of swigging, heavy coughing, a groan.

Another set of footsteps. Heavy, patient, stalking. Hollow rattling and flapping cloth approaches, pasts over each of your coffins. It stops. An echoing shake.

"Yes..." Yu Nao sounds weakened.

A melodic chime.

"G...go ahead." Fear.

Your coffin top slides open, just a touch, enough to see that the normal earthly night sky was now a watery crimson spiral, flowing ever upward and away into a dark abyss. A bone white visage, teeth like daggers and eyes of fire, flashes by before the coffin lid closes.

Rattling overtakes the sound of Yu Nao breathing a quieted sigh of relief. You feel the coffin lift, as if two pairs of hands had each taken up carrying either end. Your coffin feels first as if it's going up, quite quickly. A sudden stop. Left. Right. Down, down, down with such force that you lift off the bottom and your face presses into the inside of the lid.

Sudden stop. You bounce, but you stop. Light stepping surrounds you, skittering. A noted lack of the previous strength as your coffin is clumsily, jerkingly dragged across a floor for minutes.

Suddenly, a smooth lift vertically, then across a floor. A slight lift. Finally...a stop.

The skittering fades away. True to the Bat's word, you can feel the paralysis begin to fade after another minute. As feeling returns, you can hear the sounds of muffled talking far far below.

The coffin lids remove easily enough, though your are cautious, remembering Yu Nao's warning about being watched. The coast seems clear.

What lies before you is...a web, hanging in an infinite dim grey light. A massive network of spiders' webbing has lifted you...and item upon item...above a marble platform far below, identical figures cloaked in shadow shuffling about, like gnats. It is impossible to make out any features here, not the least which through the damp fog that drips moisture off the zig-zagging strands.

Footing proves firm and sticky as you find appropriate places to step. Treasures lie before you, entangled as your coffins. Weaponry, containers, jewelry, left, right, above, and below. How much time until you would have to retreat back into your own containers? Where to start?

Actana
2015-06-12, 06:39 PM
"Is everyone alright?" Li Feng's first concerns are with the rest of this impromptu infiltration squad. Keeping his voice down and his actions calm and focused, he looks towards his companions. The treasure around was distracting, and he hoped that it would not present a temptation. Even without being a scholar, he knew enough children's tales to be cautious of the shining gifts of the Veil.

"We need to be careful. Be aware of your surroundings, keep track of every anomaly on whatever sense. There is little we can reliably expect here", he said, cautioning the others. "But there are certain things we should take precautions for..." Li Feng muses, drawing out what he had learned about the Veil that could be any use.

Li Feng draws on his vast knowledge to learn something about the immediate area.
[roll0] to create an advantage to discover and gain invocations on any existing scene aspects relating to the Black Veil. Any invocations gained can be used by any of the PCs.

silphael
2015-06-16, 05:58 PM
Webs and silence... perfect place to keep some treasures, as those they were looking for.

"If we are in the Black Veil, doesn't it mean spirits we'll meet will be tangible?"

Laughing_Dragon
2015-06-18, 09:43 PM
The entire plan was insane. Go in, unarmed, drugged and act as bait. Just... Insane. Cheng knew he was only doing it because the Right Fang of the Bat Clan knew about him, she could blab, or worse. He tightened the belt around his waist and let out the breath he had been holding, "I knew this might happen." Looking at himself in a dented circle of polished steel, his face distorted and alien, as it always seemed to be. Some said he looked like his father when he was young, but what did that mean really? What did he look like then? He reached up and rubbed his chin, no hint of his father's wisp of a beard.

He took a moment to glance at the tonfas he wouldn't be able to bring with him, "I shouldn't do this. Gonna get dead playing like a child." He looked back at his reflection and frowned, his mind turning back to the moment where The Demon's voice made him come to attention. It mixed with the feelings he had toward his old Master, the one he had defeated. He wanted to beat the woman's brains out of her skull, but that would never work. Leader of the Lion Clan? She'd have him skewered before he could ball a fist. "I am a child compared to her, a child playing with toys."

Turning about he stuffed his weapons back into his satchel with his good 'commoner' clothes and traveling food. He'd 'lose' the bag somewhere between here and the meeting place, a spot he'd found that looked poorly traveled, at worst someone would get lucky, find the clothes and have something nice to wear for a while, nothing valuable lost. He again turned back to the polished steel and stared for a moment before slapping his face with both hands and taking on a grim visage, "They don't need Cheng the child now, they need Cheng The Warlord." With that said, quietly and to himself he pivoted, picked up the bag, blew out the candle next to the mirror and walked out of the room he had hoped earlier to get more than a nap within.

Emerging from within his own coffin like container he spoke up, "That will make killing them far easier, something to punch, something to gouge the eyes out of, no?" Cheng the Gregarious was gone now, left in a sack somewhere in the great city of Shengmen, here stood Cheng the Overly Serious, Cheng the Scared Out of His Mind, Cheng the Trapped. He looked around, "We're not looking for something massive, we're looking for a body part, spread out and check boxes large enough to contain something like that, start with easy to open ones, keep it clean, once you've cleared a box leave it open, but put everything back." He started nearby himself, wasting no more time as his sandals clung to the floor with every step. They had to work fast, time was against them.

NyuBomber
2015-06-21, 08:50 PM
Li Feng Lore roll to Create and Advantage: [5]
Passive Opposition: The Realm of the Black Veil is a chaotic maelstrom where generalities seldom apply...except when they do. = +4

Result: Success! Li Feng creates situation aspect Remember: They Must Follow the Rules

Li Feng knew that without intricate and prolonged study, discerning the particulars of the Midnight Auction, as this corner of the Realm of the Black Veil was apparently known, would be impossible. However, there was one thing he could count on: there would be rules.

He could tell from the stability of everything that a powerful spirit must have shaped this zone as it saw fit. There would be an order to things, an order that its owner and their subservient entities would have to abide by on instinct. No, more than instinct...like how humans needed to breath, a spirit manifest was beholden to its line of thinking and way of doing things. Once found out, it would be imperative to exploit any advantage.

The hanging items come into focus: an array of jars filled with viscous goo, amulets, a weapon rack, a crystalline statue, a three-man-tall and seemingly empty cage -- there were dozens of treasures here. Nothing stood out as potentially containing a limb of the Hell King.

Actana
2015-06-22, 03:54 AM
"Hmm, as I suspected." Li Feng had confirmed his suspicions about the place. "You are right, Mi-yuan, spirits are far more real in this realm than in ours. What more, this whole area is hosted by a single powerful spirit, whose will decides the rules. And those rules are absolute. To survive is to figure out these rules. Take nothing for granted."

He looks at Cheng rummaging through the room. "I would advise against that, young one." he says, with a hint of concern. "Those items do not belong to us, and the spirit may not take kindly to thieves. The walls have eyes in this place. Beyond that", he lowers his voice, perhaps in the fear of being overheard, "What we are looking for would not be in such an insecure place. And it might not even look like what we assume it to. But one thing is for certain: it will radiate an extraordinary amount of chi. We may be able to track it through that."

Laughing_Dragon
2015-06-25, 01:00 PM
Cheng put the lid of the box he was working through down, just as well this like many others he could see right away were just too big to only contain the limb. He let out an annoyed sigh, "Old man you do realize we're currently inside a realm which only specified people even know of and even fewer have access to, this warehouse is probably the most secure vault of goods in the Empire. At least as good as the vault barely breached by whoever it was that stole what we're looking for. Besides," He reached in and pulled out a fistful of straw, "we're here to steal, best get used to that idea, because the spirit that made this place will not be any happier about it if I were to nick something from this box than you 'recapturing' the empire's stolen artifact."

He drops the straw back into its container and brushes his hand off on his tunic, "Now I don't know anything about Chi, at least not enough to comment on the idea, so I'll leave that to you." He walks around the side of the boxes and closes with the others, "If you're sure it's not in this exceptionally secure vault, where they put us three of the greatest prizes a spirit auction might manage to acquire, then where precisely where would they put it?" He widens his arms out, "Because I can't see there being a better place than this." Of course his lack of specific knowledge of auctions was limiting his imagination, but how would he know that... He wouldn't, that's how.

silphael
2015-06-25, 09:16 PM
Cheng was right, following the rules of this realm could be troublesome, yet...

"We have to follow the rules, yes, but that isn't impending us to go around those... we can't steal something, but what about buying the items we are looking for... by making those go at a far lower price, like putting those in another box? That may have been thought about, but it's not the case of everything here probably..."

NyuBomber
2015-06-29, 06:00 PM
"That's a good idea, you're so smart."

The chirpy voice came from a small crystalline songbird, rotund in overall shape but nearly weightless on Cheng's left shoulder. An observant eye would notice that there was a conspicuous empty space under the straw Cheng had picked-up.

The bird looked to-and-fro as birds do, examining its surroundings and showing no inclination to move from its perch.

Actana
2015-06-30, 02:23 PM
What a delightful surprise, Li Feng thought. Yet also dangerous. There was no knowing what this bird, if it even was that to begin with, was going to do next.

"Well hello there, little songbird." Li Feng curiously approaches Cheng's shoulder a pleasant smile on his face, the kind that a scholar had when discovering something new. "And who might you be and what are you doing here?" he asked, hoping to glean some information from the thing before it was too late.

silphael
2015-06-30, 04:27 PM
"Indeed. May we know who, or what, you are?"

Mi-Yuan seems quite amused, despite being partially freaked by the sudden apparition...

Laughing_Dragon
2015-07-02, 08:27 PM
Cheng flinched and turned his head to look at the thing that was now on his shoulder. He frowned at the weird automaton, "No it's not. It's a terrible idea, they'll notice long before it makes it to the auction.... place." He kept his voice somewhat low as he turned his head back to the others, "It was in the box, quick little thing. Grab it so we can put it back." No sudden movements, the thing could fly off and with every step needing to be careful, slow and deliberate, there would be no way to catch it if it got away.

NyuBomber
2015-07-06, 06:53 PM
"Oh no, that's a bad idea." The bird makes no effort to dodge Cheng's grasp, but he immediately feels the fragility of the small creature between his fingers. "I can help you find things. Find your way. Find your love. That's a good idea. A Finder, that's what I am."

Actana
2015-07-10, 03:37 AM
"A Finder?" Li Feng's smile beams of curiosity. "Now this is interesting. Keep steady, Cheng, this little being might be of use after all."

"Say, Finder", Li Feng crouches to level himself with the bird. "What were you doing here? Were you to be sold like the rest of this inventory? How do you feel like putting your talents to good use?"

NyuBomber
2015-07-15, 05:50 PM
"Selling me would be a good idea. I am very valuable, my maker made me so after many tries. There are others like me, but I am the best. I was in my maker's home, and then I went to sleep, and I woke up in the box."

The Finder lets out a chirp. "That would be a good idea to use me, yes! You ask me questions about what you are looking for, and I will do my best to find it."

Actana
2015-07-16, 05:03 PM
Li Feng smiles. The bird's enthusiasm and nature was contagious, and he could not help but feel invigorated as a result. "Very well then. But first, you are a Finder, but do you have a name of your own we should call you? Or is Finder sufficient?" he asks.

After getting a response Li Feng stands up straight, looking around the area. "So we need to ask you questions about what we are searching for. Very well then. Your ways are curious, but we shall oblige." he looks to Mi-yuan and Cheng. "Any suggestions?" he asks with a mischievous smile.

Let me know if I should roll something here.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-07-20, 06:43 PM
Cheng held onto the bird like object not yet putting in back, he even loosened his grip until the bird was only in place by standing of its own volition on his hand, "Fascinating..." He listened as one would to such a thing. Finally he looked up at Li Feng, "DO you think it's spirit powered... nevermind I have a good idea for a question." He looked down at it, "We seek a limb, taken from a friend. We believe it is preserved somehow and if we could return it to our friend he could put it back on. Your help would be much appreciated Finder." Lies and beautiful ones.

NyuBomber
2015-07-23, 07:42 PM
"Finder is my name. There are many like me, but I am the best."

The bird tilts its head to look at Cheng. "Those were not questions."

Your choices for the rolls are Investigate or Lore, as you feel appropriate/strongest in. Also, as we see, wording is important~

Actana
2015-07-24, 12:10 PM
Li Feng lets out a hearty laugh at the Finder. "Indeed, indeed. You are a very particular thing, are you not? Very well", he rubs his chin a bit before continuing. "I suppose I should try too", he ponders for a moment. "Will you, my dear Finder, help us in locating that which we seek, an artifact of great chi energy which lies somewhere secure in the realm?"

Using Lore to Create an Advantage of Encouraging Words onto Mi-yuan's attempt of either Lore or Investigate.
[roll0]

In addition, if Li Feng's Teach by Example stunt would work here for Mi-yuan's attempt, that'd be grand. The wording is a bit off, but the intention of the stunt is on point. Though given the wording, it's reasonable to disallow.

Since there's no Mi-yuan left to give the boost to, you can either consider this a Lore roll for my own attempt, or just disregard the thing entirely and ask for a new roll. Your call.

NyuBomber
2015-07-26, 07:18 PM
Li Feng Roll = [2]
Passive Opposition: +3

Result: Failure!
The Finder tilts its head and its eyes begin to blink from crystal-clear to a bright yellow flash of light. After a few moments of this, it's eyes return to normal, and it looks to Li Feng.

"The most secure item in the realm, of great chi...is not here. It is personally held on the Auctioneer. That is a good idea to protect something, to separate it. It is also a good idea to send guards to the holdings to see who let me out.

Hiding would be a good idea, too."

Laughing_Dragon
2015-07-26, 10:49 PM
Cheng was frustrated by Finder's response, he'd thought he had made a question or at least something that a normal person would understand as one. He was about to respond when Finder gave them both a rather unpleasant revelation. "Damnit. I didn't think we'd have to go back in the coffins so soon! On the upside I think we know where our target is. Finder you're great." He patted the device on its head. His first instinct was to keep Finder with him, it would be an invaluable tool to find contraband or just anything he wanted on the carts that passed through his territory. It also would be useful in general, such that now that he held it he didn't want to give it up even if he didn't have plans for it. He made his way back to his coffin, not a long journey but it remained marginally perilous with the altitude and the strange sticky webbing he had to traverse.

Actana
2015-07-27, 02:14 AM
"So it would seem." Li Feng muses at the Finder. Truth be told, he had expected something like this to happen. One does not keep a well stocked treasure without some safety measures to make sure everything remains where it should be. For now, it would be best to keep a low profile. Before heading off back into the coffin he emerged from, Li Feng turns to face Finder. "One last question, my diminutive friend. If someone asks, am I correct in assuming that we never came out of these coffins?" he smiles mischievously.

NyuBomber
2015-07-27, 06:06 PM
The Finder tilts its head once more, and its eyes flash yellow, but at a much slower pace.

It remains in this position, even as the various strands of webbing began to vibrate violently, from all directions. Loose metal bits and pieces in the items clink around, growing louder as time passes.

There's no way to see what was coming through the haze, but it has the holdings surrounded.

Actana
2015-07-28, 12:33 PM
Most definitely time to lay low, Li Feng reflects the situation. It would not be wise to linger, and as such he makes his way, as fast and silently as possible back to the coffin he came from. There wasn't enough time to rearrange the area to eliminate their tampering, but for now hiding would have to do.

Trusting in his martial arts if he was to be discovered, Li Feng retreats into the coffin and awaits the next move.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-07-30, 02:41 AM
Cheng needed to get lost and fast, he grabbed Finder gently and placed him on the nearest non-coffin box. He considered for a moment giving an order or asking a 'question' of his own, but if Finder's appearance said anything it said that Li Feng had gotten in the best possible question. Free of the machine called Finder he made his way back to his coffin, climbed in and tried to still himself incase someone or something looked in on him.

NyuBomber
2015-07-31, 08:36 PM
Cheng and Li Feng sit in darkness. It's a few more seconds of metal and gems rattling against each other, increasing in intensity until the vibrations hit the coffins, an intense rapid taptaptaptaptap, a tidal wave of pitter-patter clacking against their wooden walls.

Suddenly, it stops.

Some more patter. Some indecipherable chittering, a seamless call-and-response that came from all angles.

"Your question does not meet my comprehension. Can you rephrase?" Finder springs to life as if still mid-conversation. "Oh, hello!" The crystalline bird goes into a much, much cheerier version of the chittering speech.

The alien chatter goes back and forth, Finder to unseen force for about a minute before the taptaptaptaptap and vibrations start back up, but this time heading away. Finder can no longer be heard.

Silence once more.

Your coffin jerks downward before catching and commencing a fast decent. Your container slowly bobs to and fro as it lowers. A new voice, booming and shrill, barges into your mind.

"Ladies and gentlemen and denizens all, the time has come to examine the product. Do not fear even the most ghastly beasts and evil items, as their containment are 100 percent guaranteed to hold! Or your payment back.

That said, do not attempt to touch the barriers, kekekeke. No refunds for violations."

An audible snap preceeds a fast fall and a crash as your coffin shatters against the ground. Though visibly made up of silken strands, it holds as firm as stone.

Looking up, you see a rope-like strand of the same silk that has already unraveled and spiraled out around you, seemingly disappearing into the aether.

The haze down here is much thinner. Surrounding you are those distant figures from before, cloaked in black and uniform in size. Indistinguishable from each other, if not for the unique masks each wore atop their figure. Some depict familiar, if strangely-imagined creatures -- various horses, insects, even people -- and others still are completely indescribable. Some stand alone, some stand in pairs, others in groups, clearly whispering between each other. As they move, they are all careful not to collide.

The figures stand as close as they can before stopped by their own volition. You do not see anything obstructing them from getting any closer, but they still give a wide berth all around. Many stand and stare, other shuffle along to other displays; these movements provide gaps to see other, starkly visible containers. Shimmering energy spools out from the other strands around the captive subjects, providing a custom-sized container for whatever being or items are held within.

You do not get a good look at any of the smaller captives, but do get to see one of the larger ones: the cage from earlier is now occupied with a serpentine, rainbow-scaled, writhing beast. It opens its fanged maw and unleashes howling winds against its prison, but it doesn't do much but kick up dust. Futile rage. It circles, snapping at the gawkers, causing some to flinch and step backwards.

You also notice two more things: Your compatriot is not within eyesight, and one of the cloaked figures stands unmoving at your wall, its mask clearly depicting a grinning red bat.

It waits expectantly.

Actana
2015-08-01, 04:09 PM
"I'll connect with you again in the showcase." is what the Bat said. For now there was little point in trying anything else. Escape was futile in such a guarded location, and there was no doubt that he was being watched. And yet. With Yu Nao within an observable distance, it would be best to establish contact. With his eyes half closed and in a meditative state, Li Feng makes small, subtle gestures with his fingers, letting Yu Nao know he had seen her. For now, there was little point in any drastic actions. Patience was the prime virtue for now.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-08-04, 02:58 PM
Cheng put in his mind the position he was in when the coffin was first opened for examination and that was the position he took when the thing opened up and spilled him back out into the world. Well sort of. Thankfully the binding silks held him roughly in position or he'd have fallen into a much more uncomfortable position. Leaning 'limply' against the back wall of his silken prison he glanced around and noticed the bat masked being. There weren't any others and for a moment he thought the mask choice might be a little too on the nose, but really she probably had to be. He stared at her, pondering if he was allowed to move, if the illusion of his sedation was still necessary. He decided quickly enough that the illusion of Paralysis was definitely still necessary and so he let only his eyes wander, perhaps it might bring unwanted attention, but feigning total body paralysis was boring enough without having to stare at nothing too. Compromises had to be made.

NyuBomber
2015-08-05, 09:39 PM
The red bat does not react to Li Feng's signal, seemingly content to stare (as best he could tell) at him.

Someone else was interested, though. "Dance," the feminine voice said. It emanated from a figure, cloaked in black like the rest, but with a rectangular silver obelisk as her mask. "Dance for me, human."

-----

The red bat looks left and right before motioning to the side with its head and shuffling over, away from the crowd that generally seemed disinterested with Cheng. It positions itself in significantly less crowded spot and waits for Cheng to follow suit.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-08-10, 01:09 PM
Clearly his act was working, no one was paying him any bother, that or... He frowned and broke off of the act, moving away from the group as much as possible before turning to look at the Bat, "And what do you want?" His tone carried a sort of frustration, not aimed at the Bat per'se but at the situation at large. His eyes flickered about trying to take in more of the room. As he settled in more or less closer to the Bat masked being he stared for a bit at them. Slowly he reached into his mouth, flicked his thumb off a purposefully exposed k-9, he then reached up and drew his open hand over his face before tilting his head. He hoped the meaning would be come across, 'Are you the Bat's Fang?'

Actana
2015-08-10, 02:42 PM
Dancing? This was new. Not unexpected, of course. A certain show of humiliation was to be expected from this position. Li Feng responds to the command not hesitantly, but also not as if were an actual order from a superior. With his eyes still half closed, he takes a deep breath and extends his arms. He did not know many dances - such things were better left for those with more social graces - but he did know his kata. Mimicking a sword in his hand, Li Feng begins a blade dance in the space in front of him. In addition to keeping to the role of a slave, showing off for the crowd should distract them long enough and allow Cheng and the Bat to make a move unnoticed.

Using Fight to Create an Advantage of Distracting Blade Dance. Invocations of said aspect can be used by either Cheng or Yu Nao.
[roll0]

NyuBomber
2015-08-12, 06:17 PM
Li Feng Roll = [4]
Passive Opposition = +0
Result = Success with Style!
Distracting Blade Dance situation aspect created!
Two bonus invocations of Distracting Blade Dance created!

The shoppers were eager to spend, if the trial you heard Yu Nao undergo was indicative of the price paid for admission to the Midnight Auction. So, they were open to a product not only complying to a request to show-off, but doingso well at it. Within a minute, word spread, and most of the hall that wasn't caught up in some other product was looking at Li Feng's pen. This included the red bat-masked figure, who now stood surrounded by others crowding to see, but unmoved.

"Yes. Yeeeess, So...unique," the obelisk-headed figure exhaled in a pleased tone. It inched closer to the barrier.

-----

After glancing around itself, the red bat seems to kneel down, then extends one hand -- a human hand in a midnight black sleeve robe with intricate purple stitching and gold lace -- lifted the mask slightly, revealing her human lips. "I cannot tell a lie, my friend. Did you see it?" Yu Nao had to be talking about the Hand.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-08-17, 10:09 PM
Proof in the pudding. He crossed his arms and spoke quietly, "I saw nothing. I heard our host is saving something of import however." He held up a hand, "It must be kept safe and where safer?" He shrugged, "Well at least I'll be cheap, they must think I'm some farmer's son caught in the middle of doing something stupid." He looked around, "Have you seen the old man?" There was so little he could do in confinement and he had no intention of drawing attention to himself, a farmer's son, some soul for some spirit to play with or some body to make a slave.

Actana
2015-08-18, 03:14 PM
At least his distraction seemed to be working. Li Feng continued without interruption, doing what he needed to do to buy the others more time and a safer venue for interaction. Then again while useful, the attention he was getting was unsettling to say the least. Part of him held his eyes closed so he would be less distracted and for the impression of focus, but the other part did not want to see those that observed him with such interest. The voices they made were bad enough. A cursory examination to keep him away from danger, however, was necessary, much to his displeasure.

NyuBomber
2015-08-22, 05:47 PM
Yu Nao's smile widened. "Why yes. He's in good health, as always. How kind of you to ask after the old man."

She looks around again, careful to keep her mask still slightly lowered. "Here." Her free hand extended from under her ebon cloak, and effortlessly pushed a plain, wooden dagger hilt through the barrier, causing it to silently shoot off sparks of bright energy at the intrusion point which then settling down.

No blade...just a hilt.

"When the time comes stab the Auctioneer in the back. We will make our escape then. Order to chaos, my friend." With that, she stood and walked off.

----

"I must have it!" The cloaked figure levitated above the ground and an monstrous, stone-grey arm, as long as 4 human men were tall, emerged from its bottom, using the "hand" as a foot. As the other figures recoiled -- all accept the Red Bat, that is -- it extended one elongated, gangrene finger.

And touched the barrier.

Immediately, a writing shadow descended down the central strand of Li Feng's prison and made its way to the offender, even as she backed away.

They were upon her now, running up the length of the arm, even as it tried to swat the chittering multitudes away.

It was covered, all the way up into her cloak.

The shadow dissipated. The obelisk-mask fell to the ground with a dead thud. The cloak draped over it.

"I warned, that I did. Tsk tsk." A being best described as a human vulture sauntered, fully uncloaked and in command, over to the remains and gathered them under its arm. "Kekeke, less competition for the rest of you. I think I'll expedite our little occasion, since it seems there's quite an interest in this subject. Ladies, did you know he's single? Kekeke.

"Hurry along now and get your final gawks in."

In the confusion, the Red Bat had moved to an emptier side, conspicuously standing away from everyone else.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-08-23, 06:57 PM
He looked down at the dagger hilt on the 'ground' at his feet. Wooden and without even a wooden blade. He looked up as Yu Nao and frowned, what the spirit choked halls of the damned was he supposed to do with a blade-less hilt?! He let out an exasperated sigh and knelt down to pick it up, "A Test, after one of his mad designs. Are they all mad? Am I going mad as well?" He stood up, rolling the empty hilt around in his hands, there had to be more too it than a simple wooden hilt, but he couldn't see it. He flicked where the tip of its blade should have been and made a little 'twang' sound with his mouth.

"Well this is going to be interesting," He hid it in the fold of his gi and practiced pulling it out right and quickly a few times before stopping and staring out into the non-existent crowd around him. He sighed and shook his head before kneeling back down and taking a meditative stance. Breath in, hold 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and out... In 1, 2, 3...

Actana
2015-08-24, 03:07 AM
It's hard to make a subtle move when you're the center of attention. Despite this, optimism remains. Whatever it was, the vulture-spirit had kept him safe from the others, and had even mentioned the speeding things up, meaning whatever farce of an auction was at hand would soon be over. He just had to hold out a little longer.

Having finished the blade dance, Li Feng kneels down and begins to clear his mind through meditation. Just a little longer...

NyuBomber
2015-08-27, 06:41 PM
If Li Feng had his eyes open, he would see the Red Bat gesturing wildly for his attention. Too late.

"Let the selling commence!"

The ground under your feet noticeably softens. Looking down, you can see countless upon countless spiders moving about quickly, just under the surface of the "floor" on which of your holding cell.

Slight movement. Your cell, and the ground within it, elevates above everything. You can see now: there are two identical Red Bat-masked figures, standing away from each other in the midst of the crowd as everyone watches you glide on silver strands.

You can also make out each other for the first time since returning to your grim containers. In fact, your cells are nearing each other, as if purposefully being grouped. And there's a third incoming slowly, a proud-looking man with a long, slicked back ponytail and a green robe.

"Fancy meeting you lot here!" Jun Gu, the Kingfisher speaks loudly, not caring about the audience, as his cell is grouped in a triangular formation with yours.

In fact, it would seem your group is in some sort of queue. In front and behind you are a line of cells, arranged like stairs, each with their respective items. The end of the line stretched into the mists. You, on the other hand, were quite close to the front, where the vulture-man stood on the main platform. He was already taking bids on the few cells ahead. The Auctioneer He spoke without pause, without breath, catching hands, claws, tentacles, and every other such sort of appendage as they shot up to offer a price.

"Sixteen pairs of horsefly wings!"

"The essence of Anger!"

"My flesh for your pleasure!"

"16,000 Imperial dollars!"

The action was fast. One item was gone, a rack of seemingly ordinary weapons. It, and its buyer, were elevated upwards, into the mists. The line lurched forward. An amulet surrounded bya fiery aura, floating in place, was up now.

You can see the two Red Bats, standing far apart within the crowd, seemingly unaware of each other still.

It wouldn't be long.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-08-31, 07:12 PM
Cheng stood as the floor melted away and they began to move, kneeling down in front of all the creatures that soon would be bidding on him didn't feel right for a bandit lord. He needed to have more dignity than that. Then he heard his voice and a wry grin grew on his face, "Kingfisher, hah! How'd they find a cage big enough for your ego!" The Kingfisher's ego surely wouldn't take that laying down, but it didn't matter, none of them had the power to escape their cages, so Cheng focused on something else, his soon to be target.

The Auctioneer was obviously his target but he'd wait and watch his Bat for a signal that he was on point. It was then that he noticed the second one. It gave him a moment of pause, then caused him to smirk, "I wonder if the right fang knows what the left is doing." He said quietly to himself, this would complicate things, but he was fairly sure he knew which one to watch, his was the Right Fang, the left was a fake or it was the Left Fang of the Bat Clan, either way they were not who he was going to take his cue from.

Actana
2015-09-04, 03:17 PM
Paying a Fate point to avoid being distracted by the meditation and notice the Red Bat signalling Li Feng.

Being held aloft by silver strings was certainly not the most advantageous place to be, Li Feng thought. And with the second Bat too in the crowd, things might get confusing. However, Cheng looked confident and the situation was nearing its climax - some move had to be made soon. This Kingfisher person was a distraction and a liability. If things came down to it, he too would require rescuing from the place - fool or not, no human deserves to be held captive in this realm against their will.

Carefully, Li Feng observes the silver strands holding their cages aloft. If they could be broken, the momentum gained could be highly useful in a surprise attack. Are the strings attached to anything? Could they be dislodged? Do they even obey the regular laws of the world?

(( What skill would it be to determine how those strings could be used to our advantage? ))

NyuBomber
2015-09-08, 07:23 PM
((It would require either Investigate if you could get your hands on a sample of the strands, or Chi to try discerning their nature via concentration and feeling it out.))

Jun Gu chuckled. "Only in the Black Veil, where the impossible is common-place, can I be contained. Or, so they say."

The trio of cages lurch forward. A buyer lifted off. Another lurch. A group went. Again and again. The Auctioneer did not cease for breath or fatigue.

A golden-furred rodent, its cheeks futilely shooting off lightning as it tried to break out, was the last item before the trio of humans would be on the block.

Jun Gu seems uninterested, instead standing with his back turned, looking off into the distance of the line of captured artifacts and creatures following his lot.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-09-14, 08:54 PM
Cheng chuckled, "So they say?" Some conversation was better than none and the Old Man seemed to be lost in thought. A little ribbing before the moment of truth. He clench his hand and opened it, readying himself. He looked for his Bat and then at the auctioneer, trying for as meaningful a look as possible. He needed confirmation, stabbing someone with a blade-less dagger, a wooden one at that was just plain silly. Maybe it used Chi? If only his late lamented Master had bothered to try and teach that sort of thing instead of the heavy and simple exercises and martial art training. Ahh well too late now, he'd try and focus his chi into it in the moment of the strike, but until then, he watched his Bat as closely as he dared, waiting for the signal to strike.

Actana
2015-09-15, 02:37 AM
"Were you contacted by our friend?" Li Feng quietly asks Cheng without turning his face or taking his eyes off the crowd, watching the Bat who was trying to contact him earlier for a signal. "I attempted to distract them for long enough to allow you time to prepare, did you manage?"

His own lack of weapons would likely cause a certain amount of problems. His fists, while deadly in their own right, would likely suffer within the spirit world. Something would have to be done to counteract that. A precise application of chi could work. All in due time, though, all in due time. For now, patience was key.

Laughing_Dragon
2015-09-15, 07:40 PM
"I was, though I think they were just more interested in a trained and obvious Shin'lieren than they were some country boy in a gi." He kept his hands at his side, watching his Bat. They still had a little time while the strange electrical rodent was being bid on by the auction goers. "There is an advantage you know to being low key."

He wondered if he would even get a signal, if the auctioneer was the target, was it the spirit that created this pocket and what would happen to it if they were to kill it? Could he kill it with such a lack luster weapon? All questions that he didn't know the answer to and plenty of them could use an answer before the try. Normally this wouldn't be how he handled things, normally he'd have planned it out, figured out who the boss was and he'd have backup. Here he was alone, except for the Old Lion. How... bothersome.

NyuBomber
2015-09-21, 09:36 PM
It was time.

One more lurch forward brought the trio of humans to the fore, directly behind the Auctioneer. A hush falls over the murmuring crowd.

"Well, well, we've got something special this evening. Thanks to a very gracious donor...kekeke, a full set of shen lieren...those spirit hunters. This is a first, if you did not know. We've had humans here before...some of you are repeat buyers. But, well...think about the secrets lying in the flesh of these specimens. The secrets, for some of you...the service...the succulence, kekeke."

"But, well...that's not all," the creature said slyly, turning to Li Feng's pod. "One of them is quite unique. Observe, please."

The auctioneer lifts a singular feather from its draping robe, and a mote of darkness materializes and its tip. From this shadow emerges a small, plain wooden box. The top flips open of its own accord. A font of crmson ichor emerges, veny tendrils grasping at the air as if searching for something missing. The liquid coalesces into an orb.

The Right Eye of Yama opened and saw. It jutted left and right. A swath of the crowd seems as if transfixed by its movement, following as if under a spell. Others stood perplexed. But no one made a move outside of that, least of all either Bat.

The Auctioneer jerked his arm toward Li Feng's pod, and the Eye turns its gaze toward him. Here, all three men could get a good look. Subtle golden lines separated its jaundiced flesh it into four quadrants, and it's "pupil" was in fact a set of four black dots at the intersection where the lines met.

Though Cheng can certainly feel the vileness exuded off the Eye, and Jun Gu's face told his disgust, but Li Feng could feel something reaching into his memories. Looking away did nothing...it's mere presence was enough draw forth pain, suffering, a distant tragedy Li Feng thought he'd settled, a regret he could feel being lured out...

The Right Eye of Yama compels Li Feng's Haunted aspect.
Reward if accepted: 1 Fate point
Consequence: Because of his method of dealing with the catalyst, Li Feng has something attached to him that is about to be made manifest. Damn his luck.

Actana
2015-09-23, 04:20 PM
So much yes! Accepting the Compel, placing my Fate point pool at 2.

Do you want me to narrate something here, or are we in observation mode for now? Indeed 'tis so!

For the note, I'm not saying this is necessarily the spirit portrayed below, just that this is what Li Feng thinks.

The Right Eye of Yama! It was right there, almost in reach, just had to... Had to... Li Feng looks towards the Auctioneer blankly. This spirit, this sly, devious spirit. There was something familiar in it. Or was there? Spirits were deceptive, their appearances moreso. Yet this particular one was drawing something up from his memories.

It was an autumn afternoon, over two decades ago. Li Feng was on yet another practical excursion with his students. A routine assignment, to show the new students how to conduct investigations and to deal with the dangers along the way. But it wasn't supposed to happen this way. There was a pond and rain. Or was there a pond? It was hard to remember the exact details, but the gloating image of the spirit above the corpse of the impaled students. Yue Fei, Shin Shi, Tong Li, among the others. Li Feng had led them to a trap, and they had paid the price while he had survived - he, who had sworn to protect them from any dangers during the assignment. It wasn't supposed to have been that way, and the spirit knew, preferring to leave a witness to live what had happened, knowing he had failed his charges. To add further insult, the spirit had then fled, leaving the once promising career of Xiangwei dead in the water.

That was, of course, all in the past. People die and while it never gets easier, one learns to cope. But now, if this truly was the spirit that had once caused the deaths of so many, the chance for revenge was not something Li Feng could pass up...

Laughing_Dragon
2015-09-26, 01:00 PM
This was it, the moment of truth, or was it? The eye was exposed, if there was anytime to strike it was now, while the auctioneer was even slightly distracted. The previous cages hadn't opened up when their contents were sold so that mean to Cheng that this was the only chance he'd have at piercing the cage and killing the Auctioneer. For a moment he considered trying to throw the blade-less dagger, but such a thing's balance would surely be beyond janky. And yet, his Bat stood by wordless and unhelpful, was now when she wanted him to strike? What would happen if by some obtuse miracle he was able to kill the spirit holding the auction house together? Would they be purged into spirit or human worlds?

These were things a more experienced hunter might be able to answer, Li Feng for example, were the man not so absorbed by the emergence of The Eye, exactly where Finder had said it would be. Answers he probably wanted before he drew the hilt out. Maybe if he tried to push his Chi through it? Another thing he might have been able to do if he were experienced and trained like Li Feng, maybe even like the King Fisher, how was he to know.

A dagger is a tool of finesse, not the normal weapon that Cheng brought to fight with. Maces and clubs were his normal fare, things his friends could make reasonably well, a hunk of metal on a metal stick is easy enough to make or a big reinforced stick. A dagger just wasn't like that, he focused himself as he drew it out. He tried to get his chi flowing as he slashed where the blade should have been through the space where the bars of the cage hung. Maybe that was what he needed to do? An instruction guide would have been nice. So very nice.

NyuBomber
2015-10-03, 09:06 PM
Li Feng can feel a gentle-but-cool hand grasp his own. A small girl stood next to him now, her hair matted down and fully engulfing her eyes. Draping her shoulders was a plain grey robe, such as would be standard for a trainee in the Lion clan...save for the fresh stain of blood over her heart. Her bare feet, too, were soaked in blood and tar-like filth., so much so that the it was difficult to tell if her pale skin has ever been clean.

She clutched a wooden trainee sword in one hand..the other, Li Feng's hand. She smiled up at him pleasantly, then jerked her attention violently toward the Auctioneer as he spoke.

"Kekeke, yes! Yes! The purchase of this old human will come, free of charge, with one additional soul, made up entirely of pure chi. Think of all the secrets you could pluck out of her head, kekeke. Let us start the bidding at--SQUAWK!"

Cheng's Overcome - Chi roll: [4]
Passive opposition: +3

Cheng's swing completes. Though he doesn't feel any difference in the eight of the hilt, he can see the result of his efforts. A dagger-sized jet of white ethereal flame has emerged from his weapon, and it has left its cutting trace on Cheng's cage, the strands burning up and dissolving until there's no trace left.

A grin crosses Jun Gu's face.

The Auctioneer takes a step back, looking aside himself. The Eye, whether out of its own sense of foreboding or because it was nbo longer in use, retreated into its box.

The lid snapping shut was the only sound in the realm. The audience stood, waiting. It seemed as if the Red Bats had moved closer, though they were not close enough to each other to recognize the situation yet.

The Auctioneer cleared its avian throat. "Ke...you wish to make a purchase, yes?"

Laughing_Dragon
2015-10-08, 03:52 AM
A dagger was now in his hand, the blade was different but everything else felt the same. He took a step forward, keeping the distance between them the same. This was a routine he'd had to do only a few times, though a few times too many. He let himself smile, almost genially, "Yes actually, I have bid." He sniffs and lifts the blade taking a look at its white crackling form for a second before focusing his eye past it, "I'm afraid I'm all out of coins and tears of children, but I do have one thing," he gave the spirit a sadistic grin, "Your life. So my bid is that, your life." He drew the blade back and coiled his body, ready to strike. Cheng's eyes scanned the room, glancing out on the masks gathered for a moment. The Bandit took that moment to note what his Bat was up to before Bringing his eyes back onto the auctioneer "Going once. Going twice?" He turned his free hand over, opening it toward their host.

Actana
2015-10-10, 03:27 PM
"I... I'm sorry", Li Feng mutters under his breath as he looks upon his protege. Former protege. "I failed you, I failed you all. I might not be able to give you peace, but I can avenge your deaths." he says, attempting to wipe a bit of the blood and much off her face, but passing his hand through the girl's face instead. Sighing wearily, Li Feng turns his glance towards the Auctioneer. "Ignore the whelp. There will be no sale. This farce is over. And we are taking back what is ours."

Going to Create an Advantage with Will to face down the Auctioneer by sheer determination. Creating the aspect of Will of the Lion A Lion Does Not Back Down. (editing for clarity of name and intended purpose.)
[roll0]

NyuBomber
2015-10-15, 08:37 PM
Li Feng Create an Advantage (Will): A Lion Does Not Back Down = [4]
Passive Opposition: +1; The Auctioneer may be in his realm, but is thoroughly freaked out by the turn of events.
Result: Success with style! Li Feng creates the situation aspect A Lion Does Not Back Down, commanding an air of authority. He gains two free invocations of this aspect.

"W-Wait! I have a deal, most favorable to you, yes! Take the other disgusting humans with you and just get out! Do not hurt me!"

Feathers fall to the ground as the Auctioneer shivers. He clutches the box in both talons and scans looks out toward the crowd. Some are visibly confused, while others watch his every movement, as if hypnotized still. "T-This is mine. It was a gift! Not yours to take-ke. You want it, you make another offer. There are no specials here."

"...That dagger. Yes, your dagger for the box and what lies inside!"

Laughing_Dragon
2015-10-21, 10:08 PM
Cheng grinned wide, sinister, the bird like spirit seemed to get the bandit's intent better than Li-Feng did. He waited out the offer, glancing out into the crowd and trying to quickly notice their benefactor the Bat. With luck she'd be near the back flailing her arms, nodding and waving him off the idea, but if no such sign was present, he'd have to give the weapon over. "Hmm, lets clarify the elements of the deal then," smiling he kept the dagger close, his muscles still ready to strike, "Me, my friends and the box with The Eye for this lovely chi dagger." He held it up and waved it slowly about, "We go, you get to live and continue your auction, everyone wins."