PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help with Domains for a campaign setting

EisenKreutzer
2014-09-22, 08:55 PM
I'm working on a campaign setting where the gods are divine dragons. There are five good gods, one for each metallic dragon, and five evil gods for each chromatic dragon. They are the Dragons Kings of Earth (metallic dragons) and the Dark Lords (chromatic).

The gods are:

Brass -Wulthuz, Dragon King of Life - Chaotic Good
Bronze - Fullo, Dragon Queen of Prosperity - Lawful Good
Copper - Wurdiz, Dragon Queen of Fate - Chaotic Good
Gold - Wodanaz, Dragon King of Wisdom - Lawful Good
Silver - Teiwaz, Dragon King of Heroes - Lawful Good

Black - Auzawandilaz, Dark Lady of Terror - Chaotic Evil
Blue - Gautaz, Dark Lord of Deceit - Lawful Evil
Green - Welanduz, Dark Lady of Violence - Lawful Evil
Red - Agilaz, Dark Lord of Destruction - Chaotic Evil
White - Grendel, Dark Lord of Beasts - Chaotic Evil

In addition to these ten gods, there are two "overgods," the parents of the Dragon Kings and Dark Lords: The High King Io and his wife the Heavenly Queen Oa.
These gods aren't worshipped by most mortals, as with most overbeings.

Anyway, I need some help allocating Domains to these ten gods. The players won't be worshiping the Dark Lords, as that would be about as popular in the setting as devil worship is to us. So these six deities need to have a selection of Domains that gives the players who want to play divine casters an acceptable selection of Domains to choose from.

Could anyone help me with this?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-22, 09:00 PM
This handy little list (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/JHtB/domains.html) might be a nice place to start. Just search things you want in each god's portfolio, there's probably a domain for half of them. When I find the time I'll go over the list and come up with a few suggestions myself.

grarrrg
2014-09-22, 09:02 PM
The gods are:

...Anyway, I need some help allocating Domains to these ...six deities need to have a selection of Domains that gives the players who want to play divine casters an acceptable selection of Domains to choose from.

What about the True Neutrals? Who do they get to worship?
Even just switching one of each set to NG / NE would work.
Or are there no TN's in this world?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-22, 09:15 PM

Black - Auzawandilaz, Dark Lady of Terror - Chaotic Evil
Blue - Gautaz, Dark Lord of Deceit - Lawful Evil
Green - Welanduz, Dark Lady of Violence - Lawful Evil
Red - Agilaz, Dark Lord of Destruction - Chaotic Evil
White - Grendel, Dark Lord of Beasts - Chaotic Evil

What about the True Neutrals? Who do they get to worship?
Even just switching one of each set to NG / NE would work.
Or are there no TN's in this world?

Seconded. Unless druids are supposed to be the only neutral divine casters? Recommended alignment changes:
switch Wurdiz, Dragon Queen of Fate from CG to LN, because Fate isn't really chaotic, good, or evil.
switch Fullo, Dragon Queen of Prosperity from LG to NG, because prosperity is more of a general good thing.
switch Grendel, Dark Lord of Beasts from CE to CN, because beasts act on chaotic instinct, not intentional evil whims
switch Auzawandilaz, Dark Lady of Terror from CE to NE, because fear is often but not always chaotic (think measured, suspenseful fear)
Then you have one each of NG, NE, CN, and LN, one each of CG and CE, and two each of LG and LE.

OR

Introduce Obad-Hai, Pelor, a LN god of natural death (maybe Azreal (http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Azreal_(3.5e_Deity)) or some similar angel of death?), some NE god of general evil deeds, and Olidammara (or some other CN god).

OR

Just introduce Obad-Hai. All clerics who aren't dragon-worshippers either serve alignments or are nature-worshippers.

EisenKreutzer
2014-09-22, 09:43 PM
Seconded. Unless druids are supposed to be the only neutral divine casters? Recommended alignment changes:
switch Wurdiz, Dragon Queen of Fate from CG to LN, because Fate isn't really chaotic, good, or evil.
switch Fullo, Dragon Queen of Prosperity from LG to NG, because prosperity is more of a general good thing.
switch Grendel, Dark Lord of Beasts from CE to CN, because beasts act on chaotic instinct, not intentional evil whims
switch Auzawandilaz, Dark Lady of Terror from CE to NE, because fear is often but not always chaotic (think measured, suspenseful fear)
Then you have one each of NG, NE, CN, and LN, one each of CG and CE, and two each of LG and LE.

OR

Introduce Obad-Hai, Pelor, a LN god of natural death (maybe Azreal (http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Azreal_(3.5e_Deity)) or some similar angel of death?), some NE god of general evil deeds, and Olidammara (or some other CN god).

OR

Just introduce Obad-Hai. All clerics who aren't dragon-worshippers either serve alignments or are nature-worshippers.

Very good ideas, thank you for your input! I think I'll change the alignments of the gods as you suggest. This is really helpful, thank you so much!

EisenKreutzer
2014-09-23, 02:14 PM
I hope bumping threads is acceptable, cause I really could use some help with picking out some Domains for my campaign setting. Is ten gods to little? Especially when only five of them are really acceptable for a PC to choose?

grarrrg
2014-09-23, 07:41 PM
I hope bumping threads is acceptable, cause I really could use some help with picking out some Domains for my campaign setting. Is ten gods to little? Especially when only five of them are really acceptable for a PC to choose?

Well, there are 35 Domains (we shall ignore Sub-Domains for now).
If there are only 5 'good' deities to worship, then you must eliminate at least 10 Domains that will NOT be available to the PC's.
If you follow the standard of "all Good deities grant the Good Domain", then that gives you even fewer to work with.

List of all Domains:
Air
Animal
Artifice
Chaos
Charm
Community
Darkness
Death
Destruction
Earth
Evil
Fire
Glory
Good
Healing
Knowledge
Law
Liberation
Luck
Madness
Magic
Nobility
Plant
Protection
Repose
Rune
Scalykind
Strength
Sun
Travel
Trickery
Void
War
Water
Weather

At a quick glance, you are probably OK removing the following from the running:
Darkness
Destruction
Evil
Madness
Void

Death is up for grabs, depending on if you go for the "necromancy" angle or the "death is TN" angle.

EisenKreutzer
2014-09-23, 07:58 PM
Would assigning more than three domains to each deity be an acceptable solution? Or is that a bad idea?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-23, 08:25 PM
Would assigning more than three domains to each deity be an acceptable solution? Or is that a bad idea?

Most actually have five or more; only three might be the bad idea, as it would be a bit too limiting. Remember to also give deities their alignment domains (law, chaos, good, and evil).

EisenKreutzer
2014-09-23, 08:30 PM
Most actually have five or more; only three might be the bad idea, as it would be a bit too limiting. Remember to also give deities their alignment domains (law, chaos, good, and evil).

Yeah, I ment five. :P

I will definitely remember about the alignment Domains!

grarrrg
2014-09-23, 09:33 PM
Would assigning more than three domains to each deity be an acceptable solution?
Most actually have five or moreYeah, I ment five. :P

You guys got the Holy Grail bit backwards.
You're supposed to START with Five, and then be corrected to Three.
Geez, some people...

But anyway, I've always found it a little limiting/stupid to FORCE deities to always grant their alignment domains.
Overall, I don't see much trouble bumping it up to Six each. Seven might be a tad high though.

rg9000
2014-09-23, 10:15 PM
You might be forgetting the Domination domain, and others from the Draconomicon, on your list.

grarrrg
2014-09-23, 10:31 PM
You might be forgetting the Domination domain, and others from the Draconomicon, on your list.

Pathfinder does not have a Draconomicon.

rg9000
2014-09-27, 11:05 AM
Where does it say PF?

Blackhawk748
2014-09-27, 11:52 AM
Where does it say PF?

In the Thread Tag, i almost missed it too

Heres Grendels Domains as i see them:
Animal
Chaos
Strength
Water (as most of the spells are Cold and he is a White Dragon)
Destruction

EisenKreutzer
2014-09-27, 12:46 PM
In the Thread Tag, i almost missed it too

Heres Grendels Domains as i see them:
Animal
Chaos
Strength
Water (as most of the spells are Cold and he is a White Dragon)
Destruction

I like it!