PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Farther Than Your Movement Rate

NecessaryWeevil
2014-09-23, 01:22 AM
It's quite late so I hope I'm not overlooking something obvious, but I'm confused by something.

The PHB says that movement while jumping counts against your normal movement for the turn. It also gives the DC for a 30 foot long jump as 30, noting that the DC is doubled if you don't have a 20-foot head start. But...if you run 20 feet and then jump 30, you've exceeded your normal movement rate. What happens?

Jeff the Green
2014-09-23, 01:25 AM
You have to spend your second move action. If you ran 50 and jumped 30, you'd hang in the air until your next turn then use your move actions from that turn. And the next, if need be.

heavyfuel
2014-09-23, 01:28 AM
This only affects combat. Out of combat, nothing besides the expected happens: you ran 20ft and jumped another 30 for a total movement of 50ft. In combat however, the first action of your next turn has to be a move used to finish the jump.

If you run out of movement mid-jump, your next action (either on this turn or, if necessary, on your next turn) must be a move action to complete the jump.

Juntao112
2014-09-23, 03:41 AM
It's quite late so I hope I'm not overlooking something obvious, but I'm confused by something.

The PHB says that movement while jumping counts against your normal movement for the turn. It also gives the DC for a 30 foot long jump as 30, noting that the DC is doubled if you don't have a 20-foot head start. But...if you run 20 feet and then jump 30, you've exceeded your normal movement rate. What happens?

Halfling jumping rage attack. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html)

nedz
2014-09-23, 04:41 AM
Woe betide you if you get hit by a Daze, or similar, mid jump — you just hang there until you get a move action :smallbiggrin: