PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Kicking and Screaming: A Guide To Monks. - WIP

TheCrowing1432
2014-09-23, 02:45 AM
Warning: I have not actually played a monk in this edition as of this writing. Everything written here is based on my interpretation and my experience of playing 3.5 which is around 4-5 years. So apologies up front if something is wrong here, this is my first guide ever.

http://theindiedragon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/monk___17_06_12_by_lucastorquato27-d5mlyph.jpg

Ah yes the monk. The famous martial artist with the furious fists. Characters that use their fists have been in RPGS for as long as there have been RPGS. What is it about the Monk that people love so much? Are they fans of Jet Li and other martial artists? Do they watch too much anime? Does the idea of punching a dragon in the face just sound awesome? Whatever your reasons, monks are beloved by a lot of people.

In 3.5 Monks got shafted, they had a handful of useful abilities, but most of them were useless, ill fitting, or the mechanics of the game itself stopped them from working together (Hello Fast Movement and Flurry of Blows) I have never played 4th edition so I do not know if the changes to Monk were good, but from what I can tell, in 5th Monks are gonna do just fine.

Why Be a Monk?

Extra Attacks, Extra Options: Monks are one of the classes that have a resource system, in this case ki points. These points can be spend to augment your abilities, always giving you an option in combat. Either offensively or defensively, Monks always have something to give them an edge.

Versatility: Their sub class features allow them to take many different roles. Open Hand lets you focus on Melee Combat, Way of Shadow allows you to be a Ninja, Way of the Four Elements allows you to be a spell casting gish. As with the above point, options, options, options

Color Coding
Light Blue is the best
Blue is Great
Black is average
Red is bad

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Someone might think a class feature or ability is better/worse then I do. Thats ok. This is simply suggestions, not absolute truth.

Lets take a look under the hood shall we?

Monk Chassis

Hit Dice: 1d8 per monk level - Ohhh, for a class meant to be up close and personal, this really hurts, yeah they get some pretty good ac, but if something bypasses that, monks can get swatted around pretty easily.

Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier - Roughly an average of at least 10-12 hit points at starting level. Not too bad.

Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your
Constitution modifier per monk level after 1st - assuming you take the average of 5 every level, thats 103 hp at level 20, not countng your con bonus which should be 20 by then. *+5*13=103 + bonuses from con. Monks are not that hardy.

Armor: None - Not to surprising, you need to not wear armor for your monks abilities to work.

Weapons: Simple w eapons, shortswords - All Monk weapons scale with your martial artist level. Using different damage types for different resistances is good, keep at least one type of weapon with you at all times to overcome Damage Reduction or whatever they call it in 5th.

Tools: Choose one type o f artisan’s tools or one
musical instrument - Artisans tools could give you a useful skill, instrument? Not so much, I mean besides roleplaying

Saving Throws: Strength, Dexterity Good throws to have, surprised Wisdom isnt on here since it fuels the monks ki power

You have two skills to choose from, Its a small list. Pick something that your background/race doesnt give you.

Acrobatics/Athletics -Both of these are very good and have their use in doing physical things, you're DEX will most likely be higher then your STR so, Acrobatics might be better.

History - Not particularly useful especially with a more intelligence based character in the party

Insight - This use changes depending on how often you interact with people. Typically you'll want the party face to take this, you just sit back and wait for someone to punch.

Religion - Save this for the Cleric/Paladin

Stealth- Way of the Shadow or not, stealth is one of the best skills in the game, especially since it synergizes so well with your dexterity. Team up with the party rogue to lay an ambush.

You start with the following equipment, in addition to
the equipment granted by your background:
• (a) a shortsword or (b) any simple weapon - Both of these are average choices, the highest damage you can get at level 1 is 1d4 with your fists, so you might as well take one of the 1d6 weapons and call it a day. Once you get higher damage die, it begins to equal out and it doesnt matter what monk weapon or fist you choose, though damage type does come into play.
• (a) a dungeoneer’s pack or (b) an explorer’s pack -Explorers pack wins because it comes with a bedroll, and a messkit. Which in my opinion is more useful then a crowbar, a hammer and 10 pitons, but its really up to you. Otherwise they are identical.
• 10 darts - Have your DM change these to shuriken, but yeah these are ok.

STR- Not needed, Monks can automatically make their monk weapons and their fists finesse able, The only real use for STR now is Grapple checks or carrying capacity.

DEX- Your key ability for damage, to hit and pretty much everything else in the class including AC.

CON- Needed by everyone, especially you with your d8 hit die.

INT- You get two skills which are based on Intelligence, and both of them are better served being taken by another class. Fully Dumpable stat, since skill points are no longer a thing.

WIS - Fuels the saves of your Ki Abilities, gives you AC and provides a bonus to your Insight skill, if you choose to take it.

CHA- - Nothing here uses Charisma at all, unless you take a background that grants you a charisma skill, fully dump able.

Work In Progress

Dwarfs

Dwarfs make.....ok monks. Their racial abilities are more suited for fighters though.

Con +2 - Anything to make you bulkier is good.

Speed- Normally its 25 Feet, but Monks get boosted movement, however a dwarf monk will always be 5 feet slower then any other monk, besides elves, who he would be 10 feet slower.

Darkvision- Very nice, especially when combined with your Stealth and Fast Movement, you can become an effective scout in the dark.

Saves Against Poison - Monks get immunity to disease and poison at level 10, so this will hold you over until then.

Dwarven Combat Training. You have proficiency with the battleaxe, handaxe, throwing hammer,
and warhammer. - Useless, according to RAW only monk weapons (simple weapons, shortswords) benefit from the monk abilities, racial presidencies. do not count under this.

Now I would figure most DM's would allow you to use these weapons to augment your monk powers, but thats up to the DM's choice, otherwise these profiencies are useless to monks. Wizards might errata this in the future.

Bows however can still be made use of as you have a high Dex, so you can do decent damage with it, but none of your class abilities will apply to it.

Tools - Ohh more artisans tools to combine with the one you get as a monk, you can become a regular little crafter with dwarf and monk depending on what tools you choose to use.

Stonecunning - Almost as useless as it was back in 3.5, this is only useful in a small handful of situations.

Hill Dwarf

Wis+1 - I dont really need to tell you how good this is, do I?

Your hit point maximum
increases by 1, and it increases by 1 every time you
gain a level. - More health to not die, thats great.

Mountain Dwarf
Str+2 - Meh, Str Isnt important.
Light/Medium Armor Proficiency- Your monk powers stop working when you wear armor, useless.

Elf - Elves are one of the best Monks around.
Dex +2 - Plus to a great stat, ok.
Darkvision- As with Dwarves, Darkvision is great.
Perception Skill - Surprised Monks dont already come with this, stacking perception and stealth is just wonderful.
Resistence to Sleep - Only useful in a handful of situations.

High Elf
Int +1-Not Useful
proficiency with the longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow. -Useless, according to RAW only monk weapons (simple weapons, shortswords) benefit from the monk abilities, racial presidencies do not count under this.

Now I would figure most DM's would allow you to use these weapons to augment your monk powers, but thats up to the DM's choice, otherwise these profiencies are useless to monks. Wizards might errata this in the future.

Bows however can still be made use of as you have a high Dex, so you can do decent damage with it, but none of your class abilities will apply to it.

Cantrip - Depends on which one you take. I will be going over the cantrips at a future date to say on which ones are good and which ones arent.

Extra Language - More roleplaying oppertunities.

Wood Elf
Wis+1
proficiency with the longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow. -Useless, according to RAW only monk weapons (simple weapons, shortswords) benefit from the monk abilities, racial presidencies do not count under this.

Walking Speed Increase to 35 Feet - Wow this makes elven monks even faster.

Mask of the Wild. You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena. - a very mild Hide in Plain sight, but still useful nontheless.

Drow
Cha+1 - Not useful to monks
Superior Darkvision Sight radius increased? Sign me up.
Sunlight Sensitivity - Ugh disadvantages in daylight suck.
Drow Spells - a handful of situation ally useful spells that uses charisma as the casting stat? no thanks.
Rapier, Shortsword, Handcrossbow Profiency - Here we have, Useless, Redundant, and actually helpful.

You can use the Hand crossbow at least since you'll have decent dex.

Halflings - Due to Small Size not reducing their damage dice, halflings make decent monks, though elves far out strip them. Still a decent choice.

Dex+2 - Plus to the main skill, great
Speed-25 - as with Dwarves, this is minimized by monks fast movement but you'll always be slower then those who had 30 natural speed as monks.
Lucky- Very Handy skill, reroll just about anything, doesnt appear to be a limit per rest, so I think you can do this unlimited times.
Brave- Saves against fear are common enough to make this useful
Halfling Nimbleness - Circumvent some of the penalties for being small, excellent.

Lightfoot.
Cha+1 - Not useful to monks
Naturally Stealthy - you can hide behind one creature larger then you. Hmm this has its uses especially if you go Way of Shadow.

Stout
Con+1 - Bonuses to health are always appreciated.
Resistance to poison - As with Dwarves, pre 10, this ability has some use, but once you hit immunity to poison this ability becomes useless.

Humans - Humans are average monks. A plus to every stat, useful and useless stats alike. Variant human is pushed up to Blue. I plan to go over feats on a later date.

Dragonborn - Dragonborn make indifferent monks, their racial abilities arent particularly helpful to monks, but not harmful either.

Str+2, Cha+1 - An upgrade to an indifferent stat and a useless one.
Breath Weapon - An option for ranged combat that isnt a bow. Its save is CON based, which should be your third highest stat behind WIS and DEX, so your results may very on its saving throw. It gets stronger as you level so its always a viable option if you cant punch.
Damage Resistance To Breath Weapon - This one is DM dependent, if you pick fire, watch enemies mysteriously not cast any fire damage spells or abilities. If you have a DM that DOESNT do that, then against those enemies, this is Blue, but otherwise its useless.

Gnomes make pretty bad monks most of their racial abilities aren't needed or particularly useful to them.

Int+2 -Not a useful skill

Speed - 25 feet - Same as Halfling and Dwarf, Slow

Gnome Cunning, Advantage in Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma saving throws against magic. - This ones actually useful as things like this are usually dominate person and the like.

Forest Gnome
Dex+1 - a plus to one of your key skills.

Natural Illusionist - Minor Illusion Cantrip with int as the casting stat. Minor Illusion is similar to Ghost Sound/Silent Image from 3.5 but can only imitate a sound OR an image, not both. As with any illusion, it depends on the creativity of the user and what your DM allows you to do with it.

Speak with Small Beasts - Leave this to the ranger.

Rock Gnome
Con+1 Having more health is always good.
Artificiers Lore - Add double your profiency bonus in Knowledge History on certain magical things. Only occasionally helpful really.
Tinker - gain profiencies in Tinkers tools (yay) and the ability to make a toy, a firestarter and a music box. Its ok for rp purposes but not really helpful

Half Elf - Unlike in 3.5 Half Elves can actually do things, and they make pretty good monks
+2 Cha - Pluses to a not useful skill, but wait theres more.
+1 to any two stats of your choice. - Dex and Wis go here, no question.
Proficiency with any two skills of your choice. Pick whatever isnt covered by Monk, or your background.
Darkvision - Seeing in the dark is great.
Immunity to Sleep, Resistance to charm - Decent when they come up, but not especially helpful overall.

Half Orc - Half Orcs make good monks.

Str +2 - Eh
Con +1 - bonus to health is always good
Darkvision - Seeing in the dark is great.
Menacing - Intimidation is fun, though its under Charisma instead of Strength, talk to your DM about changing so that Intimidation can be under STR instead, might as well make some use out of your Strength score.
Relantless Endurance - A one shot Die Hard feat, not to shabby
Savage Attacks - Extra Damage on crits is a terrific feat, talk to your DM to see if you can get it applied to your fists.

Tiefling - They make terrible Monks, dont do it, trust me.

Int +1, Cha+2 - Stats you dont need.
Darkvision - Never stops being useful
Fire Resistance - Limited.
Infernal Legacy - Spells are always nice, Darkness can be used with Stealth monks. Thaumaturgy is like a minor Prestigination, Hellish Rebuke makes a good retaliation spell, since it uses a dex saving throw

Martial Arts - The reason why you become a monk. Keeping with 5E's less is more. This is actually three abilities in one. Shortswords, Simple Melee weapons that arent two handed or heavy, and your unarmed strikes get these benefits

-All of these weapons you can use your DEX mod for damage and to hit instead of your STR.
- You can use the Monks Unarmed Damage progression on all these weapons which starts at 1d4 and goes all the way up to 1d10. This is optional, however, and if your weapon has a damage die thats higher then the monk damage, you can use that instead.
- Bonus Action Unarmed Strike, whenever you hit with a monk weapon/unarmed strike you can make an unarmed strike as a bonus action, essentially granting you Extra Attack at level 1.

Unarmored Defense - Your wisdom and your dex modifier is added to your AC. at 20 WIS/DEX plus your natural 10, that ends up being an AC of 10 without any magical boosts, which is roughly equivalent to a full plate/shield.

KI - This is your resource, I am a huge fan of resources on classes as it provides a lot of agency and tactical decisions to be made, the ki points are equivalent to your monk level, (2 at level 2, 20 at Level 20) each of them fuel stuff for your class features.

Flurry of Blows - Instead of taking 1 extra unarmed strike with your bonus action, activating this gives you two instead.

Extra Attacks means extra damage, Monks can really pour it on at early levels.

Patient Defense - You can spend a ki point to take a dodge action as bonus action.

Step of the Wind - You can spend a ki point to take a Disengage or Dash action as a bonus action.

Both of these can help get out of a tense situation either by running away from the damage or avoiding it.

Unarmored Movement - The monks fast movement skill, starts at 10 goes all the way up to 30.

Really helps with races that have a movement speed penalty and makes you a mobile hit and run fighter, as you can run up to a foe, hit him, then move again and use Extra Attack to hit another one. This tactic does not work with the extra attack from Marital Arts or Flurry of Blows as they require the same target to be hit.

Its 9th level ability allows you run across liquids and veritcal surfaces, so you can do all the anime naruto stuff you;ve always wanted

Monastic Tradition - gives unique spin on your monk, abilities will be described after this.

Deflect Missiles - As a reaction you can deflect a ranged attack, the damage is reduced by 1d10+your dex mod+monk level, if you reduce it to 0, you catch it in your hand, if you spend a ki point you can make a ranged attack with the missle at whoever threw it at you with profiency.

Useful skill if you find yourself under the crosshairs of ranged attackers. I do not know if you need at least one hand free to get this benefit like you did in 3.5.

Abilty Score Improvement - A standard in a lot of classes, bump DEX or WIS as needed.

Slow Fall - Way better then the 3.5 equivalent, you reduce damage 5 x your monk level.

Extra Attack - Another class standard, everyone gets it except fighter who get it multiple times

Stunning Fist - An encounter ender, when you hit with an unarmed strike you can blow a ki point to stun someone, they get a CON save if they fail they're stunned. This can trivialize encounters pretty easilly. CON saves are rare.

Ki Empowered Strikes - Your unarmed strikes become magical for overcoming DR. Eh, its ok again, relevant when you face creatures with Magical DR and irrelevant when you dont.

Evasion - Half Damage on failed saving throws, show them mages whose boss.

Stillness of Mind - Straight up shrug off a charm/fear effect by using up your action. Really good since you dont have to use up any KI. Combine with Step of the Wind/Patient Defense to make up for using your action.

Purity of Body - Become immune to poison/disease. No DM really uses diseases, but poison seems like its going to be a thing in this edition, so ignoring poison damage could be helpful in a lot of ways.

Tongue of the Sun and Moon - You can understand every language and every creature that has a language can understand you. Erm, ok? But monks dont have any social skills......

Diamond Soul - Gain profiencies in ALL saving throws AND get the ability to reroll a failed save, combine this with the halflings Lucky Trait and you could effectively become immune to saving throws.

Timeless Body - You dont take aging penalties and cant be magically aged, but you still die when your time is up. Eh i've never faced natural character death before and most DM's I know dont even bother with aging penalies, in fact I dont even know if this edition has them, at least not in the players handbook. Oh also you dont need to eat or drink, another thing most DM's I've had never really bothered keeping track of.

Empty Body - Spend 4 Ki points to become invisible and gain resistance to all damage except force, spend 8 and cast astral projection on yourself.

The party wizard has been casting these spells for awhile now but hey now you dont need to bug him for the spell slots, so thats a plus.

Perfect Self - Gain 4 Ki Points if you have 0 during the initiative roll

Ugh, this seems to be what a lot of resource using classes get as their capstone. At least it doesnt turn you into an outsider, which had its own host of problems.

As it is, this is a really weak capstone considering your ki points restore themselves at every short rest.

TheCrowing1432
2014-09-23, 02:47 AM
reserved just in case

Tenmujiin
2014-09-23, 04:45 AM
This looks good so far. The only comment I have is that using purple for good is a bit confusing since all the 3.x and 4e guides had it as not terrible but not good (between red and black). Sky blue would probably be better. That said, its your guide so do what you want

Glarnog
2014-09-23, 05:15 AM
Mt Dwarf should be 2 to Str

For H.Elf cantrips you should really add more than what you did. That sort of response doesn't convey anything meaningful. Discuss which cantrips would be good and why. Perhaps based on race, and or more importanty the Path of the monk.

Hyena
2014-09-23, 06:53 AM
Yes, I agree that using purple for best is very confusing.

Z3ro
2014-09-23, 08:28 AM
I've played a few monks so far in 5e (they're my favorite class so far) and can give you a bit of real-world feedback if you'd like.

Composer99
2014-09-23, 09:15 AM
The discussion in hit points per level (after 1st) looks a bit off; if you go with the fixed amount for levels 2-20 you'll have 95 hp plus 8 for 1st level plus your level x Constitution modifier, which can certainly reach 200 but you need the hit points from Constitution to make it happen. (In fact you either need above-average rolling or a Constitution score of 20 plus the fixed per-level amount to get to 200 hp.)

Symphony
2014-09-23, 11:08 AM
All you really need is your fists anyway, which scale with your monk level. You'll eventually stop using weapons altogether

I disagree with this. Monk weapons also scale with your monk level, so keeping a piercing (spear, dagger, shortsword) and slashing (sickle, hand axe) weapon on hand can possibly help when resistances/vulnerabilities come into play, not to mention if you find a magic weapon or two.

Rummy
2014-09-23, 11:45 AM
Love the photo! My friend is playing a monk with a level of warlock for hex. It is a potent combo. Not perfect, as the bonus action used to apply hex is one less martial arts attack, but it adds a lot of options. Hex is great for taking on baddies that have loads of HP and will take multiple rounds to take down. Interestingly, it makes sense for the hexing monk to focus on one bad guy while others ignore it... A little different than the typical focus fire tactics. Hex comes into its own when combined with flurry of blows, which means they need to survive to round two. It our fight, the sorcerer held one of the BBEGs while the monk treated him like a piñata.

TheCrowing1432
2014-09-23, 01:17 PM
This looks good so far. The only comment I have is that using purple for good is a bit confusing since all the 3.x and 4e guides had it as not terrible but not good (between red and black). Sky blue would probably be better. That said, its your guide so do what you want

Ive seen a few 3.x handbooks use purple for being good, and red being bad.

Mt Dwarf should be 2 to Str

For H.Elf cantrips you should really add more than what you did. That sort of response doesn't convey anything meaningful. Discuss which cantrips would be good and why. Perhaps based on race, and or more importanty the Path of the monk.

Yeah I misread the Mt. Dwarf, Ill fix that.

I plan on going through the cantrips and explaining which ones are good.

Yes, I agree that using purple for best is very confusing.

What should I use for best then?

I've played a few monks so far in 5e (they're my favorite class so far) and can give you a bit of real-world feedback if you'd like.

That would be helpful

The discussion in hit points per level (after 1st) looks a bit off; if you go with the fixed amount for levels 2-20 you'll have 95 hp plus 8 for 1st level plus your level x Constitution modifier, which can certainly reach 200 but you need the hit points from Constitution to make it happen. (In fact you either need above-average rolling or a Constitution score of 20 plus the fixed per-level amount to get to 200 hp.)

I wrote this at 2 am, and accidently doubled the amount you should get, 8+5*19 = 103 not counting constitution mods.

I disagree with this. Monk weapons also scale with your monk level, so keeping a piercing (spear, dagger, shortsword) and slashing (sickle, hand axe) weapon on hand can possibly help when resistances/vulnerabilities come into play, not to mention if you find a magic weapon or two.

Wow, I totally misread the Martial arts section. Yeah that makes weapons totally useable.

Love the photo! My friend is playing a monk with a level of warlock for hex. It is a potent combo. Not perfect, as the bonus action used to apply hex is one less martial arts attack, but it adds a lot of options. Hex is great for taking on baddies that have loads of HP and will take multiple rounds to take down. Interestingly, it makes sense for the hexing monk to focus on one bad guy while others ignore it... A little different than the typical focus fire tactics. Hex comes into its own when combined with flurry of blows, which means they need to survive to round two. It our fight, the sorcerer held one of the BBEGs while the monk treated him like a piñata.

Thats useful to know

Hyena
2014-09-23, 01:33 PM
Cyan is traditionally used for best. And gold for mandatory - as in, "you are playing the class wrong and are a complete idiot for not taking this", like adaptive style for swordsage or DMM for cleric.

Vowtz
2014-09-23, 01:36 PM

I prefer ORANGE or YELLOW for best.

You can go:

Yellow
Blue
Black
Purple
Red

Or

Blue
Green
Black
Purple
Red

TheCrowing1432
2014-09-23, 01:50 PM
Cyan is traditionally used for best. And gold for mandatory - as in, "you are playing the class wrong and are a complete idiot for not taking this", like adaptive style for swordsage or DMM for cleric.

I went with Light Blue for mandatory.

Sartharina
2014-09-23, 01:52 PM
Yeah - Purple's best for "Suboptimal, but won't wreck your character if you take it for thematic reasons".
Gold is "This is mandatory"
Cyan, while hard to read, indicates "Best in class". They can be somewhat interchangeable.

Z3ro
2014-09-23, 02:03 PM
I've played two monks, one a straight open hand monk (my favorite) and one a monk 6/warlock 2 (the straight-up ninja build). Here's my thoughts:

Open hand is an amazing in-combat striker, especially when paired with other melee characters. Their trip ability is almost automatic, and works against any sized creature. So many monsters have low dex saves, making them very easy to trip, which gives classes like the rogue or a great weapon master fighter much easier times hitting. Stripping a reaction is great too, especially for kiting, but that was more of an after thought. Didn't really use the shove option (only did it once, into a fireplace, which was hilarious). Lack of Ki was a bit of a problem, but this will be directly proportional to how often you get short rests. Pair up with a fighter and a warlock, take frequent breaks, and rock out.

Stunning is amazing when needed, but in my group so far I haven't thrown many out there, mostly because I can trip a guy then let the rest of the party pound on him. It costs the same Ki as stunning, but gives me an extra attack. Though the one time I really used stunning (against an enemy spell-caster) punked the encounter pretty hard, taking it from "might not survive" to "laughably easy". The only issue is it's a con save, which is often a priority for most classes, especially spell-casters.

The shadow way monk is a straight up ninja. Awesome mobility and pouncing out of the shadows lets you play the ultimate kiting character. It's one of the few at-will movement abilities in the game that doesn't use some sort of resource, making it exceptionally powerful. Combined with two warlock for devil's sight lets you drop a darkness on someone, then shadow jump in and pound on them. This monk was very different from the open hand monk; open hand wants to get in combat and throw as many punches as he can, while shadow monk was all about stealth and hit-and-run tactics.

I didn't get a chance to play an elemental monk, but to be honest, the concept doesn't really interest me. Seems far too nova-y, which doesn't really appeal to me.

TheCrowing1432
2014-09-25, 11:36 PM
Updated with the class features

Totema
2014-09-25, 11:50 PM
I'd say go for gold or orange. Purple is best for the "meh" options, and light blue burns the eyes as you know.

Also, I'm curious why you decided to make a guide for a class you haven't even played yet. I like what I'm seeing in the guide, but it still strikes me as odd, even potentially detrimental.

MeeposFire
2014-09-26, 02:35 AM
"Bonus Action Unarmed Strike, whenever you hit with a monk weapon/unarmed strike you can make an unarmed strike as a bonus action, essentially granting you Extra Attack at level 1"

This is actually not correct. Martial arts lets you take a bonus action attack if you use the attack action with a monk weapon. It does not care about whether you hit or not. Ditto for flurry of blows. That is an important benefit.

Also only flurry of blows need to be used immediately. Martial arts does not have that caveat so you could potentially move between attacks or at least I can't see any reason why you couldn't.

pikeamus
2014-09-26, 03:26 AM
This thread has got me wanting to play a Stout Halfling Monk, based around a drunken master roleplay concept.

Strill
2014-09-26, 05:03 AM
Elemental Monks left me very disappointed. They can only learn up to 4 spells, and the spells cost so much ki that you don't have any left for any of your other abilities. IMO the Eldritch Knight is better in almost every way.

Symphony
2014-09-26, 08:42 AM
Empty Body - Spend 4 Ki points to become invisible and gain resistance to all damage except force, spend 8 and cast astral projection on yourself.

The party wizard has been casting these spells for awhile now but hey now you dont need to bug him for the spell slots, so thats a plus.

Astral Projection is a 9th level spell, so the party wizard has been casting it for maybe one level, and that's if they choose it over all their far more useful options. To make it better, Monks can cast it twice per short rest, instead of once per day. I don't know how useful it is as a spell, though.

As for the cheaper option, it's greater invisibility + stoneskin (that includes magical weapons) + half a dozen instances of the protection from energy spell. And you can do it at least 4 times per short rest. This is a solid ability.

Perfect Self - Gain 4 Ki Points if you have 0 during the initiative roll

Ugh, this seems to be what a lot of resource using classes get as their capstone. At least it doesnt turn you into an outsider, which had its own host of problems.

As it is, this is a really weak capstone considering your ki points restore themselves at every short rest.

It's one of the weaker capstones for sure. I'd say that there are probably many one-level class dips that are better than this level. For example, even a single level of Rogue gets you a 1d6 sneak attack, an extra skill, thieves' tools, and expertise in two skills. If you're a shadow monk, and take that expertise in stealth, then use Pass without Trace, say hello to your +27 Dexterity (Stealth) bonus!

Given that a "nearly impossible" difficulty check is a mere 30, that's pretty stealthy... (note that only Druids, Rangers, Shadow Monks, and possibly Bards get Pass without Trace).