PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Replication

MCJennings
2014-09-23, 08:42 AM
Simple question: In D&D is there a way to copy ones self and have both functioning at the same time? I assume this would be a very temporary effect for obvious balance reasons.

I'm hoping that I can use this if possible on my psion and psicrystal via share powers spell. (I used to pull off a similar trick in Magic the Gathering using Rite of Replication on Precursor Golem)

If there is no such spell or power to do this, what powers outside of obvious healing/health based would be useful to share? DM has house-ruled me to create constructs around the psicrystal as would be armor, and controlled by the crystal with all physical abilities/stats of said construct til it's destroyed.

Macros
2014-09-23, 08:53 AM
The spell Ice Assassin?

Well, it would hates your guts (his dearest wish being killing his original), but since it is also entirely under your control, it should be fine... probably. I'd fully expect deep psychologic issus on the long run, though.

There's also Simulacrum, where the copy isn't dreaming of ways to kill you at night. It is also only half as powerful as the original, so maybe that's not enough for your needs.

Heliomance
2014-09-23, 08:53 AM
The Fission power does exactly that, doesn't it? As does the Wu Jen spell Body Outside Body, or for another approach, the spells Simulacrum and Ice Assassin.

Inevitability
2014-09-23, 09:05 AM
The spell Ice Assassin?

Well, it would hates your guts (his dearest wish being killing his original), but since it is also entirely under your control, it should be fine... probably. I'd fully expect deep psychologic issues on the long run, though.

I believe Mindrape is the default solution for psychological issues. :smallwink:

Bronk
2014-09-23, 10:42 AM
If you're a humanoid, you could 'alter self' yourself into a Dvati. I'm not sure if it would carry over to your psicrystal due to the limitations of the spell, though.

MCJennings
2014-09-23, 01:02 PM
Thankyou for the replies!

Ice assassin looks SUPER silly and fun. I may just give it to one of my characters when I DM...

I will most likely go for replication when I'm leveled into it, I'm currently only 4 (almost 5).

So then there's not a less costly method that will just give it for an hour or so?

I myself am a warforged so I'm not sure I could fulfill some of these material components such as skin, nails or hair.

Lightlawbliss
2014-09-23, 01:25 PM
get married, have a kid, and raise the kid to be just like you (throw in artificial aging as desired)

Troacctid
2014-09-23, 02:58 PM
Use Fission (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/fission.htm) to create a duplicate of yourself that lasts for 1 round/level. Then die.

If you die, your duplicate remains in existence, and is for all intents you, but with two negative levels.

Now just wait for the duration to expire. Bam, one Raise Dead later and you've got yourself a permanent doppelganger.

Daishain
2014-09-23, 03:07 PM
Mind Seed

A psionic power that lets you "infect" others with, well, you. It takes a little while for your personality to fully supplant that of the subject, but it works.

Warning: Use of it just might be considered ever so slightly evil.

Necroticplague
2014-09-23, 03:11 PM
1. Use any form-changing magics that give you your EX special qualities.
2. Become an Ochre Jelly.
3. Have a nice friend stab you over and over again.
4. Profit.

If you have a Psicrsytal, you can share this with him via Greater Metamorphosis. Permanent copies, once all of you are healed up. Of course, this would require a level 9 power and a specific type of psion (egoist).

MCJennings
2014-09-23, 07:44 PM
1. Use any form-changing magics that give you your EX special qualities.
2. Become an Ochre Jelly.
3. Have a nice friend stab you over and over again.
4. Profit.

If you have a Psicrsytal, you can share this with him via Greater Metamorphosis. Permanent copies, once all of you are healed up. Of course, this would require a level 9 power and a specific type of psion (egoist).

This is a great one!!!
Now, would all of the jelly copies be able to return to normal form? When their health is split, it's just current health, right? Would they be able to heal up?

Finally, in metamorphosis, "You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form, or any other type except construct, elemental, outsider, and undead." I would still be able to take on the form of any construct since I myself a warforged am one already, correct? And I'd still be able to turn into any non-undead non-outsider non-elemental as well too?
... I feel like I'm missing sooo many ideas and silly uses for this power, and unconventional ones because I can become constructs...

atemu1234
2014-09-24, 07:36 AM
The spell Ice Assassin?

Well, it would hates your guts (his dearest wish being killing his original), but since it is also entirely under your control, it should be fine... probably. I'd fully expect deep psychologic issus on the long run, though.

There's also Simulacrum, where the copy isn't dreaming of ways to kill you at night. It is also only half as powerful as the original, so maybe that's not enough for your needs.

"How can you love something that stares back at you with your own eyes?"

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-24, 07:48 AM
"How can you love something that stares back at you with your own eyes?"

I believe Mindrape is the default solution for psychological issues. :smallwink:
Just saying. :smalltongue: