PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Alternate paths 5e

Spacehamster
2014-09-23, 09:04 AM
Changed the title to alternate paths, since that sounds more
Fun then feats that merge classes. Going to ask to get thread moved to homebrew design, feel free to post ideas for other class paths.

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond!

Daishain
2014-09-23, 09:31 AM
Well, they have a little bit of already. Namely the feat that gets you martial maneuvers, and the one that lets you cast ritual spells even if you have no spells of your own.

If you mean something that would actively help you multiclass, I don't know, but it seems unlikely at this point.

The designers seem to be actively discouraging multiclassing at all, and seem to be hoping that the class archetype options are enough to get everyone the character they want without actually using that particular feature. (Yeah, no, they help, but not by nearly enough)

Spacehamster
2014-09-23, 09:36 AM
Well, they have a little bit of already. Namely the feat that gets you martial maneuvers, and the one that lets you cast ritual spells even if you have no spells of your own.

If you mean something that would actively help you multiclass, I don't know, but it seems unlikely at this point.

The designers seem to be actively discouraging multiclassing at all, and seem to be hoping that the class archetype options are enough to get everyone the character they want without actually using that particular feature. (Yeah, no, they help, but not by nearly enough)

Oh well can always homebrew them like merging rogue fighter would slow your sneak attack down so you end up with 3-4 less die and for fighter you don't reach 4 attacks if you take the feat. So bit weaker on both classes then a pure one + costing you a feat. Ofc this is just an example and not thought through much. :)

Socko525
2014-09-23, 09:45 AM
I would love to see something Swift Ambusher, Daring Outlaw, etc from 3e make a return...however, as mentioned it seems that multiclassing is more or less discouraged. Playing a paladin now, I don't really see any benefit from multiclassing out as the capstone abilities are pretty sweet.

1of3
2014-09-23, 09:48 AM
As of now, feats are not interested in class at all. I think that is a good thing.

What you are looking for is somewhat present in Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster that make Fighters and Rogues count as 1/3 casters. You could make a Fighter path that somehow gains Sneak Attack.

Spacehamster
2014-09-23, 09:55 AM
As of now, feats are not interested in class at all. I think that is a good thing.

What you are looking for is somewhat present in Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster that make Fighters and Rogues count as 1/3 casters. You could make a Fighter path that somehow gains Sneak Attack.

Oh man why did I not think of that?! Much easier to add homebrew paths, your example could be half sneak attack progression and when you pick it at 3rd level you get to choose two proficient skills from the rogue selection or smth such.

Demonic Spoon
2014-09-23, 09:57 AM
Oh well can always homebrew them like merging rogue fighter would slow your sneak attack down so you end up with 3-4 less die and for fighter you don't reach 4 attacks if you take the feat. So bit weaker on both classes then a pure one + costing you a feat. Ofc this is just an example and not thought through much. :)

How exactly would this be different than simply multiclassing rogue/fighter?

Spacehamster
2014-09-23, 10:00 AM
How exactly would this be different than simply multiclassing rogue/fighter?

I'm at work can't exactly write out a whole path then can I? ;) would ofc polish it with unique perks like any other path. :)

Edit: oh you replied to my first post in the thread. :p

Demonic Spoon
2014-09-23, 10:01 AM
Yes, but what you want is already in the game in the form of multiclassing rogue/fighter. Why bother making a new path when you can already do that?

Spacehamster
2014-09-23, 10:09 AM
Yes, but what you want is already in the game in the form of multiclassing rogue/fighter. Why bother making a new path when you can already do that?

Cause the path would not be like multiclassing? Would have unique perks like any other path. Then we could aswell remove eldritch knight and arcane trickster from the game cause that's just wizard/fighter and wizard/rogue multiclassing by your reasoning? ;)

HylianKnight
2014-09-23, 06:53 PM
Oh god I hope not. Those feats were such lazy designs IMO and just made a list of 'correct' classes to multi class with and throwing on a feat tax.

Spacehamster
2014-09-24, 08:23 AM
Okay here is my homebrew rougish path for fighter:

Bruiser:

Sneak attack lvl 3-4 1d6, 5-8 2d6, 9-12 3d6, 13-16 4d6 and 17-20 5d6.

Lvl 3 path boon threatening brute: you gain advantage on all intimidate rolls and become proficient in intimidate skill, thieves tools and one other rogue skill of your choice, if you already are proficient in intimidation you can pick another skill instead.

Lvl 7 path boon back ally brawler: Used to the rough and tumble life in the underbelly of towns and cities you have learned to always be alert and ready for battle, granting you +5 on initiative rolls and as long as you are not surprised you do +10 damage the first round of combat.

Lvl 10 path boon Veteran bruiser: When dualwielding or using one weapon and no shield you gain +1AC and your critical range is 19-20.

Lvl 15 path boon brutal shank: when you are not surprised on the first round and get a sneak attack to land on a target it falls prone and everyone else gets advantage on attacks against it for the rest of the round, also as long as another ally is attacking the same target as you, you do +2 damage against it.

Lvl 18 path boon Scarred thug: A veteran of the ruthless underworld you are becoming increasingly though and sturdy, increasing your STR and STA by 2 making your new maximum 22. You also shrug off weak attacks, reducing physical dmg taken by 1.

So what do you guys think of this alternate fighter path?
Oh and feel free to post own ideas on alternate paths for other classes! :D

Theodoxus
2014-09-24, 11:24 AM
I would love to see something Swift Ambusher, Daring Outlaw, etc from 3e make a return...however, as mentioned it seems that multiclassing is more or less discouraged. Playing a paladin now, I don't really see any benefit from multiclassing out as the capstone abilities are pretty sweet.

Not all of us play to 20... nor very long at 20 if we get there (I've yet to actually play a game 1-20 ever, the highest being 15... I have played a few @20, or 21 in Epic, but we started there...)

A lot of times, a Fighter 8/Paladin 6 is extremely viable.

What the OP is stating sounds a bit like the most recent classes supplied for PF - an amalgam of two classes to create a hybrid with features of both, but at a slower rate than either offered alone. It's a fancy way of doing AD&D's multiclassing.

Spacehamster
2014-10-02, 12:24 PM
No thoughts on the alternate fighter path? :)

Yakk
2014-10-02, 12:33 PM

Bruiser:

Level/4 round up?

Lvl 3 path boon threatening brute: you gain advantage on all intimidate rolls and become proficient in intimidate skill, thieves tools and one other rogue skill of your choice, if you already are proficient in intimidation you can pick another skill instead.
The real feature here being the sneak attack die, and the upgrade at level 5.

Lvl 7 path boon back ally brawler: Used to the rough and tumble life in the underbelly of towns and cities you have learned to always be alert and ready for battle, granting you +5 on initiative rolls and as long as you are not surprised you do +10 damage the first round of combat.
Rough wording. And +10 can be pretty big if you action surge and bonus action attack.

Lvl 10 path boon Veteran bruiser: When dualwielding or using one weapon and no shield you gain +1AC and your critical range is 19-20.
So, when using a one-handed weapon?

Lvl 15 path boon brutal shank: when you are not surprised on the first round and get a sneak attack to land on a target it falls prone and everyone else gets advantage on attacks against it for the rest of the round, also as long as another ally is attacking the same target as you, you do +2 damage against it.
Horrid wording.

"attacking the same target" -- attacks are basically instantaneous.

Lvl 18 path boon Scarred thug: A veteran of the ruthless underworld you are becoming increasingly though and sturdy, increasing your STR and STA by 2 making your new maximum 22. You also shrug off weak attacks, reducing physical dmg taken by 1.More of a half-barbarian ability than a rogueish one.

Amnoriath
2014-10-02, 01:48 PM

Bruiser:

Lvl 18 path boon Scarred thug: A veteran of the ruthless underworld you are becoming increasingly though and sturdy, increasing your STR and STA by 2 making your new maximum 22. You also shrug off weak attacks, reducing physical dmg taken by 1.

So what do you guys think of this alternate fighter path?
Oh and feel free to post own ideas on alternate paths for other classes! :D

1. The advantage/disadvantage mechanic is intended to be situational, so giving them advantage regardless of situation or cost especially when they first get the skill is just poor development and lacks any nuance.
2. +5 bonus to a check is huge, you really on see this in a feat and maybe a couple of spells, especially since it stacks. The +10 damage to every attack that is even more so.
3. Okay, I guess but rendering someone prone just because of an advantaged or "flanked" attack seems like anyone get affected regardless of what they have.
4. How is this at all related to dirty fighting, street tactics? What is STA? Beside two +2 stat bonuses and DR 1 compared to the other two is really weak. One gets fast healing of probably 10, the other gets another maneuver to shove d12's into you, and the last casts a spell and attacks.
All in all it needs work to explain its abilities, more nuance, and more utility as the Battlemaster can do much of the things this does and more. Lets not even mention the Eldritch Knight.