PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Template Vs. feat: the battle!

Inevitability
2014-09-23, 09:18 AM
(Everyone who visited this thread to watch Half-Minotaur duke it out with Quicken Spell-like Ability can leave now. Sorry to disappoint you.)

So, I was wondering what happens in the following case:

An half-elf with Human Heritage just happens upon a completely normal cat. Freaky stuff happens, and the next thing he knows is that he now is a half-elf/cat symbiote (as in the SS template).

What is going to happen now? The template says his type changes to aberration, but he's got a feat that turns his type into humanoid if it isn't humanoid already. Which of the two would overrule the other?

esbear42
2014-09-23, 10:27 AM
Personally I would refer to the type pyramid in savage spicies. Both the feat and the template affect the type, but since abberation si the dominant type the resulting creature would be an abberation. It would however retain the human subtype, since there is no limit on noncotradictory subtypes.

Inevitability
2014-09-24, 01:51 AM
Anyone else?

Malroth
2014-09-24, 01:56 AM
I'm also going with the Savage Species Type Pyramid. Abberation (human). This also explains so much about creepy cat ladies, They form a symbosis with their Cat Swarm hivemind and thus gain the Abberation Type.

Jeff the Green
2014-09-24, 02:13 AM
type pyramid in savage spicies

Hiss! Shun!

Seriously, that is one of the worst things WotC has printed and there are a few templates that would be nonsensical if it applied.

I say he's dual-typed. He's both humanoid (human) and aberration. A changeling/cat symbiote with Human Heritage and Dragontouched (obtained through Racial Emulation and a flaw) would be humanoid (human), aberration, and dragon.

ranagrande
2014-09-24, 03:37 AM
Yeah, I'd say he counts as both. Specifically, I'd say he's an Aberration (Augmented Humanoid, Human)

dextercorvia
2014-09-24, 11:47 AM
Whether or not the type change to humanoid only happens once, or is a continual check, the line: "You are treated as a humanoid with the human subtype for the purpose of adjudicating all effects." will still apply.

It doesn't matter what your type is, so long as you have the feat, you will be treated as a humanoid for everything.

Inevitability
2014-09-24, 02:45 PM
It doesn't matter what your type is, so long as you have the feat, you will be treated as a humanoid for everything.

For example... applying the template again?

I am now imagining a half-elf with a bunch of tiny animals stitched to him, and it is hilarious. Actually, I may just play that in the next gestalt campaign I come across.