PDA

View Full Version : Druid Build for HotDQ

Easy_Lee
2014-09-23, 10:17 AM
I'm soon to run HotDQ and wanted to ask opinions on a druid build.

Human variant, bonus feat: alert.
Skills: perception for sure, unsure what else I should take.
Highest stat is wisdom, next highest is CON.
Moon druid at 2 (am a little late to the campaign and will likely be starting at 2).
Spells:
0: druidcraft, guidance, what else, poison spray? Thorn whip?
1: fog cloud and entangle seem like really good choices, but I'm not sure what to expect from the campaign.

Basically, I want this character to survive no matter what. I picked alertness because I suspect that the majority of ways one gets killed in this adventure involve surprise and failing initiative. Chose moon druid so I can go bear mode if needed twice per short rest, and guidance so I can assist out of combat without using spell slots. I hear short rests are infrequent in this adventure, which might be annoying, but at least moon druid has it better than wizard or bard.

Thoughts?

hymer
2014-09-23, 10:41 AM
I'm soon to run HotDQ and wanted to ask opinions on a druid build.

Human variant, bonus feat: alert.
Skills: perception for sure, unsure what else I should take.
Highest stat is wisdom, next highest is CON.
Moon druid at 2 (am a little late to the campaign and will likely be starting at 2).
Spells:
0: druidcraft, guidance, what else, poison spray? Thorn whip?
1: fog cloud and entangle seem like really good choices, but I'm not sure what to expect from the campaign.

Basically, I want this character to survive no matter what. I picked alertness because I suspect that the majority of ways one gets killed in this adventure involve surprise and failing initiative. Chose moon druid so I can go bear mode if needed twice per short rest, and guidance so I can assist out of combat without using spell slots. I hear short rests are infrequent in this adventure, which might be annoying, but at least moon druid has it better than wizard or bard.

Thoughts?

Obligatory druid guide plug (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?370229-Druid-Guide-amp-Discussion).
You should clear with the DM whether you can go full bear from level 2. If there is a barbarian or melee fighter in the party, you will overshadow them at least until level 4.
Poison spray is pretty bad with its near-melee range and its commonly resisted damage type. In close combat you'll be biting and clawing, so I suggest you pick up Produce Flame for your attack cantrip, unless your dex is good enough that you can use a sling with reliability at range. You only have 2 cantrips at levels 1-3 as moon druid, though.
As moon druid, you should be spending much of your time in a form that can't cast, so pick your prepared spells with this in mind. Something you can cast when things go south and you get knocked into caster form (like fog cloud) is good, but you won't get full mileage out of Entangle. Using that will usually mean casting that (and using your concentration), and then pelting away at the enemy with your best ranged attack.
I hear a lot of people are frustrated as melee in HotDQ, so Longstrider may be a good counter to that (and a boon to get out if and when), and it doesn't take concentration. Goodberry is an interesting out of combat healing spell you should consider. Healing Word is somewhat less attractive than usual for you, as you may well want to use your bonus action for switching form if you can cast. But when you only have level 1 slots, it's pretty close to Cure Wounds, and of course takes the bonus action to cast. Faerie Fire is pretty versatile, and a big help to any archer rogue in the party.
Remember, if you start a fight in caster form, you can use the chance to cast a spell, change to beast form, and then get into position to protect the squishies or tear the faces off the enemy as the situation demands.
Skills should be coordinated with other party people. If you can get the lore skills covered between you all, and someone with Survival for tracking and finding the way, you're more versatile. I'd consider getting Stealth somehow if there isn't a Stealther in the party.