PDA

View Full Version : Character Concept: Ranged Bard

mister__joshua
2014-09-23, 10:20 AM
Hi Playground.

Here's my latest character idea and I'd like to know if anyone has tried it before, how it's fared and if it'll work as I imagine. I haven't seen anything similar (though I haven't looked that hard).

Background:
I've been really struggling in recent weeks to decide what character I want to play in our upcoming 5e game. I've always loved casters, usually Sorcerers, and my favourite character I played was a Rogue. I've been tempted by a Druid, but in the end couldn't resist the new 5e Bard with it's full casting and roguishness.

So with that decided finally, I was left with choosing a concept. Mental manipulation has always been my kind of caster, and fits well with the Bard. I borrowed some of by background from Haze, a Shadowrun street legend. So I want my spellcasting focus to me mostly enchantment, but keep my attacking mostly physical. This is where I was coming from with the idea.

Concept:
Bard (Lore) 19/Fighter (Archer) 1

The character will advance mostly as a Bard, attacking with a bow. Along the way he'll use his Magical Secret ability to pick up the most fun archery-related Ranger spells such as Conjure Barrage and Volley, Lightning Arrow and, particularly, Swift Quiver at level 10 or 11. He'll also pick up Sharpshooter at level 8 or 9. This should make him a very solid ranged attacker.

Things I'm unsure on:
I can't decide if he needs War Caster to maintain his Swift Quiver (which he gets about half a dozen levels before the Ranger does).
I'm not sure whether to prioritize maxing Cha or Dex first (or at all)
I'm still undecided when to take the level of Fighter - at level 11 once I have all the spells and use a shortbow until then, or early on (level 2 or 3) to grab better armour, a longbow and +2 to hit to help through the levels. Is that worth accessing spells a level later?

Conclusions:
So, I'd appreciate general opinions. Does it look solid? I think it's cool but would like to to be effective also. If no-one has tried it before then I'll update on his progress as he goes :)

Thanks, Josh

Rilak
2014-09-23, 10:35 AM
Things I'm unsure on:
I can't decide if he needs War Caster to maintain his Swift Quiver (which he gets about half a dozen levels before the Ranger does).

You can choose Resilient(CON) instead. Later on, proficiency in Con saves is worth more than advantage. And it works on more saves than just concentration ones (and gives +1 CON).

Rummy
2014-09-23, 12:25 PM
You can choose Resilient(CON) instead. Later on, proficiency in Con saves is worth more than advantage. And it works on more saves than just concentration ones (and gives +1 CON).

Take fighter first and never look back. Proficiency in Con from fighter should be good enough to keep up the concentration. Nab Sharpshooter at 4th. Not having so worry about cover is fantastic. You can target whoever you want. Boost Dex first and then Cha. You will be awesome.

mister__joshua
2014-09-23, 03:05 PM
Take fighter first and never look back. Proficiency in Con from fighter should be good enough to keep up the concentration. Nab Sharpshooter at 4th. Not having so worry about cover is fantastic. You can target whoever you want. Boost Dex first and then Cha. You will be awesome.

Thanks. I considered taking Fighter first. I'm already a lvl1 Bard but the DM should let me change it around.

Essentially then I'm swapping Dex and Cha saves for Str and Con, and gaining 2 HPs. Other than losing more instrument proficiency (which is negligible) that's the only change. Is that worth it? I aren't really sure how much the other saves come up later in the game. I'd imagine Dex was one of the best, along with Wis and Con. Is there a way other than Resilient to pick up more save proficiency?

Yagyujubei
2014-09-23, 03:41 PM
dex, con, and wis are the three biggest ones yeah. but for casters con is more useful for concentration checks

mister__joshua
2014-09-24, 03:30 AM
I'm still wondering whether the Lore Bard/Fighter combo is an improvement over straight Valor bard, using the same concept.

The Valor bard would get: an extra attack; a free bow attack for every spell cast; combat inspiration; spells a level earlier; superior inspiration at level 20

He would lose: +2 to Ranged attacks; proficiency in 3 skills; 2 extra spells known from any class; cutting words; peerless skill; the Con saves

It's a pretty close call for me. I think I'll stick with my original plan, but the idea of shooting off 4 sharpshooter attacks a turn at level 11 does have it's appeal :)