PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 1 on 1 RP: Werewolf story

Fwiffo86
2014-09-23, 10:20 AM
Need some out of the box ideas.

Basics:
PC: Single half-orc female barbarian (totem warrior) character, 3rd.

I have the beginning of an idea, where the PC has run into a small farming community out of the main way. The town is troubled by continuous wolf attacks against cattle, occasional travelers, etc.

Investigations of an out of the way (even for the farming village) farm, has revealed an underground dungeon/bunker/thingy where there are wolf cultists (worshiping a wolf immortal-like spirit that has gone corrupt). PC has found and eliminated several cultists and their wolves. She has found a single man chained and starving. Immediately attempted to attack her (limited by the chain) in hybrid form. He is not a full WW yet. Still in the process of transforming.

She was not equipped to deal with dealing with it (no silvered/magic). She left him chained, and is on her way back to the village.

Ok. So here is where I need the help. I want to take this in an unusual direction. Ultimately, working to the showdown with the head of the cult ideally.

What I need is ideas for the wolf behind the scenario. Essentially a NPC mastermind who is attempting to take over the town with the WW curse. A background for the NPC will be extremely helpful. Stats would be helpful as well if you are inclined. But more importantly, I want to see what/who you guys can come up with, as well as any further steps into the scenario you think might be worthy of doing.

Yorrin
2014-09-23, 11:43 AM
So we're looking for a BBEG backstory here?

The mastermind is not actually a werewolf, but a druid. This druid happened to stumble upon a werewolf and saw it as an opportunity to "take back" some nearby towns for nature. He's been harboring the werewolf during the day, which happens to at that time be a young confused boy, while directing the werewolf's actions at night by leaving the child in opportune places and then "prophesying" to the cult as to the appearances of their god in certain times and places, ensuring that the curse spreads as quickly as possible, and backing up his prophetic charade by using his spells to charm some local wolves. He hopes to eliminate the townsfolk by either scaring them off, converting them to werewolves, or having the werewolves kill them. When the whole thing is done he can easily persuade his Druidic brethren to come in and eliminate the werewolves, as they would see them as aberrant. He himself hates werewolves, but sees them as an unfortunate means to a positive end.

Fwiffo86
2014-09-23, 12:54 PM
So we're looking for a BBEG backstory here?

The mastermind is not actually a werewolf, but a druid. This druid happened to stumble upon a werewolf and saw it as an opportunity to "take back" some nearby towns for nature. He's been harboring the werewolf during the day, which happens to at that time be a young confused boy, while directing the werewolf's actions at night by leaving the child in opportune places and then "prophesying" to the cult as to the appearances of their god in certain times and places, ensuring that the curse spreads as quickly as possible, and backing up his prophetic charade by using his spells to charm some local wolves. He hopes to eliminate the townsfolk by either scaring them off, converting them to werewolves, or having the werewolves kill them. When the whole thing is done he can easily persuade his Druidic brethren to come in and eliminate the werewolves, as they would see them as aberrant. He himself hates werewolves, but sees them as an unfortunate means to a positive end.

This is beautiful. I love it. I am trying to keep it as a "masters of the wild" sort of game, since I have only the one player. I have never run a "rustic" themed game myself, but have wanted to. This works fantastically. Also gives me ideas as to what to do next. My only change... I think I want the BBEGuy to be a BBEGirl.

Now... onto the next stage. More ideas are always welcome. If something sounds like it could be interesting, by all means, add a post for consideration.

Yorrin
2014-09-23, 02:04 PM
This is beautiful. I love it. I am trying to keep it as a "masters of the wild" sort of game, since I have only the one player. I have never run a "rustic" themed game myself, but have wanted to. This works fantastically. Also gives me ideas as to what to do next. My only change... I think I want the BBEGuy to be a BBEGirl.

Now... onto the next stage. More ideas are always welcome. If something sounds like it could be interesting, by all means, add a post for consideration.

Glad to be of help :smallbiggrin:
Let me know how it goes.

Mandrake
2014-09-23, 04:46 PM
Well, just a suggestion that can turn this into a total clusterfunk, awesome as it is already:

1) The werewolf escapes. PC stumbles upon him.
2) The Druidess :smallbiggrin: made a mistake in the plans: someone is already here to dispose of the wolf curse. They might be hired by the townsfolk, someone who doesn't like werewolves and has heard what happened, or someone who witnessed much the same thing happening to a nearby village on the other side of the forest too. Which is a strange coincidence. Are these guys good or bad?
3) The cultist just decided, under a newly forming leader, to "get blessed" and try to get the lycantrophy (get it :smallcool:) while the druidess is away on business. Now she returns and is in total trouble, since they all might change, and she can't control them and needs help. Might it be she isn't that evil? Does she still need to be punished for chaining a poor guy, werewolf or not, leading some maybe not too indecent people into cult business and threatening the town?
4) Suddenly, the reason why the druidess wanted the people to go away (mining, cutting down forests etc.) stopped. The people are in peace with nature again. But the cult isn't in peace with anyone. Druidess needs help to dispose of the cult. Who does she call? Does she reach out to the townsfolk? How do they react?

All of these make for some interesting moral decisions, IMO. They portray the BBEG as maybe not that evil, the werewolf too, and the townsfolk too. Who will the player choose to help, and how? Sorry if I wrote this badly, it's really late and I'm kind of tired. Hope it helps and have fun! :smallwink:

Fwiffo86
2014-09-23, 07:55 PM
Even more awesomness in a can. I'll ponder these suggestions, and see if I can weave it all together.

*evil laugh*