PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Shooty McFace build (Elven ranged Assassin)

Whammydill
2014-09-23, 10:47 AM
I'm working on a ranged assassin build for an upcoming HotDQ campaign. My intent is to make a formidable ranged combatant. The end result is capable of 9d6 (18d6!) assassinations with a host of help from rogue class features and the fighter's Battle Master maneuvers. Don't ask why it's called Shooty McFace build (Yes I know it was Face McShooty in BL2,) I just think that name is hilarious. Though the thought of this character putting a three foot arrow into someone's face when they aren't aware sure helps with the imagery.

I would like advice on improving the build and/or notified if my utilization of mechanics is wrong. Comments are welcome as well of course. I won't be delving into the roleplaying background or fluff of the character, this is just about crunch.

Race: High Elf (Not 100% necessary.) Can't go wrong with the +2 Dex, cantrip, extra language, and free perception skill proficiency. Selecting True Strike as the cantrip can help gain advantage which is vital for Sneak Attack. Human variant is not allowed for the campaign but can be considered for optimization of course.

Background: Outlander for fluff. Though the feature and skills are nice.

Primary points of build:

Leveling:

1st level as Rogue for Proficiencies, Expertise, and Sneak Attack
Weave in three levels of fighter for Ranged Fighting Style, Action Surge, and Battlemaster maneuvers
Remaining levels go to Rogue for Assassin archetype and nice utility/survival features

Feats:

Sharpshooter gives the trifecta of enabling sneak attacks at maximum weapon range, ignoring less-than-full cover, and extra damage for an easily mitigated attack penalty
Lots of other possibilities here...

Battle Master Maneuvers (four d8s/rest.) Saves are not level-dependent which is nice:

Precision Strike for a 1d8 bonus to hit to help mitigate sharpshooter penalty.
Goading attack from range can ruin a melee combatant and if not, extra damage!
Maneuvering (or maybe Menacing) attack for extra damage and utility

Perceived weaknesses:

Lack of extra attacks
???

The build:

Ability Scores (based on 27pt buy with racial bonuses added in)

STR: 10
DEX: 16 (14+2)
CON: 14
INT: 13 (12+1)
WIS: 14
CHA: 8

Saves

DEX
INT
WIS (with Slippery Mind)

Skills (bold indicates Expertise)

Elf: Perception
Background: Athletics, Survival
Rogue: Acrobatics, Insight, Investigation, Stealth, Thieves Tools

Primary Weapons

Longbow
Any finesse weapon for melee

By Level:

Rogue 1 *Skills and Shoot-em-in-the-face bonus!*
Fighter 1 *Extra +2 to ranged!*
Rogue 2 *Scoot-and-shoot with bonus disengage!*
Rogue 3 *Yay! Assassin*
Rogue 4 *Sharpshooter! (Not the Bret Hart version sadly)
Fighter 2 *Extra action oh so needed!*
Fighter 3 *Battlemaster!*
Rogue 5 *No sir, I think I took half that damage...thank you!*
Rogue 6 *More better skills!*
Rogue 7 *How did you evade that nuke!?!?*
Rogue 8 *What we have is great strength of feats!*
Rogue 9 *You don't need to see my identification...*
Rogue 10 *Feat? Thank you sir! May I have another?*
Rogue 11 *Haha! I take 10 and then some!*
Rogue 12 *Are there even any feats left to take?*
Rogue 13 *...I am not the assassin you are looking for.*
Rogue 14 *Conn, Sonar! Contact!*
Rogue 15 *Its like a Grease spell in my head!*
Rogue 16 *I ran out of Feat-related quips...*
Rogue 17 *Attack it's weakpoint for MASSIVE damage!*

Rogue 1
Rogue 2
Rogue 3
Rogue 4
Fighter 1
Fighter 2
Fighter 3
Rogue 5 through 17

Added expertise to Stealth and Perception, thanks Hymer!
Added delayed Fighter progression
Human variant clarification

hymer
2014-09-23, 11:01 AM
Looks a lot like something I've been idly thinking about. Some thoughts:
I'd suggest expertising Stealth and Perception first. :smallsmile:
You absolutely must make the most of the first part of a fight. Surprising the enemy is so important that this build to a great degree is dependent on the party it's supposed to work with. Getting someone to cast Pass without Trace for the +10 to Stealth to the whole party is a huge help. So much so, I'd consider putting three levels in druid rather than fighter just to get it if nobody else can provide this for you.
I'd probably delay taking the fighter levels a bit. You're already proficient with Longbow, you just really need Sharpshooter as soon as possible. Your most important shots will (hopefully) be made from hiding (more so when you get Cunning Action), so you'll get advantage from being unseen and not be too dependent on +2 to-hit.

Z3ro
2014-09-23, 11:05 AM
In a build like this, I'd try to work in 5 levels of fighter, for that extra attack. You'd only lose 1d6 of sneak attack, and the extra potential damage (especially with sharpshooter) are worth it IMHO.

hymer
2014-09-23, 11:07 AM
In a build like this, I'd try to work in 5 levels of fighter, for that extra attack. You'd only lose 1d6 of sneak attack, and the extra potential damage (especially with sharpshooter) are worth it IMHO.

You'd lose Death Strike, though. If you fail in your general approach a lot, it may be worth it, but if you're planning for success, then you want that double damage autocrit sneak attack.

MustacheFart
2014-09-23, 11:17 AM
I don't have much to add at this point other than I would take the Crossbow Expert feat and then use a Heavy Crossbow to maximize the damage a bit. The Alert feat can also greatly benefit a build like this.

Whammydill
2014-09-23, 11:22 AM
I'd probably delay taking the fighter levels a bit. You're already proficient with Longbow, you just really need Sharpshooter as soon as possible. Your most important shots will (hopefully) be made from hiding (more so when you get Cunning Action), so you'll get advantage from being unseen and not be too dependent on +2 to-hit...

Good point. I'll see what I can finagle. Good call on the expertise, I forgot to add that in.

Z3ro
2014-09-23, 11:57 AM
You'd lose Death Strike, though. If you fail in your general approach a lot, it may be worth it, but if you're planning for success, then you want that double damage autocrit sneak attack.

True, but it also depends on exactly what level you're starting at. Starting at level 20 (when you'd get death strike), I'd agree it's much better. But assuming their starting at first or second level, over the course of the character, that second attack is going to result in a lot more damage than one level of death strike.

Easy_Lee
2014-09-23, 05:15 PM
You don't need high elf. Perception is fine, but cantrip doesn't do much for you. You automatically have advantage if your target can't see you. Long term, wood elf or a lightfoot halfling would be better. But this is HotDQ we're talking about, where you don't get higher than 4.

I would take Hunan variant with crossbow expert and as much dex as you can convince your DM to let you take. That lets you make two attacks at level one with attribute added to damage on both. Take sharpshooter at 4, and you're pretty much set for life. As per RAW, you only need one hand crossbow for that.

You can multiclass ranger instead of fighter for archery at 2 and get some ranger bonuses in the process. They might benefit you more than the fighter benefits, since level 3 battlemaster doesn't get many dice. But going full rogue might be better for the capstone and extra sneak attack dice. You aren't making enough attacks per round to notice a huge boost from archery.

By the way, you automatically qualify for sneak attack if an ally is within 5' of your target.

Whammydill
2014-09-23, 07:30 PM
You don't need high elf. Perception is fine, but cantrip doesn't do much for you. You automatically have advantage if your target can't see you. Long term, wood elf or a lightfoot halfling would be better. But this is HotDQ we're talking about, where you don't get higher than 4.

I would take Hunan variant with crossbow expert and as much dex as you can convince your DM to let you take. That lets you make two attacks at level one with attribute added to damage on both. Take sharpshooter at 4, and you're pretty much set for life. As per RAW, you only need one hand crossbow for that.

You can multiclass ranger instead of fighter for archery at 2 and get some ranger bonuses in the process. They might benefit you more than the fighter benefits, since level 3 battlemaster doesn't get many dice. But going full rogue might be better for the capstone and extra sneak attack dice. You aren't making enough attacks per round to notice a huge boost from archery.

By the way, you automatically qualify for sneak attack if an ally is within 5' of your target.

In this game, the campaign will continue past whatever HotDQ has to offer. I don't think I "need" most of what is in the build but I'm trying to plan for all scenarios to make sure I get advantage since with the lack of attacks, I need to be sneak attacking as much as possible. Sadly we are not using human variant so I have to wait till at least level 4 for a feat. I didn't mention that which is my bad, but this is built with that in mind. I kept waffling on utilizing ranger and I may build something out that includes that. It is my estimation though that would just devolve into going full ranger to utilize the archery friendly spells.

Sneak attack from

Hiding
True Strike
Friendlies within 5'

How to get more? Sneak attack should happen every attack. Optimally, the only thing I should have to work for is assassinate, and not work hard preferably. Battlemaster stuff is just extra stuff to add in to attacks since it doesnt seem to require a separate action to utilize. Yes we only get 4 dice, but it refreshes on a short rest so thats workable. For optimization purposes its good to build out to 20, but for actual gameplay where we might end before 15, I'm probably going to lean towards getting the most mileage out the build earlier. Still, what about ranger levels would trump fighter?

Ramshack
2014-09-24, 03:32 PM
I pretty much took this exact build but as a halfling. 17 Rogue Assassin, 3 Fighter Battlemaster

Fighting Style: Archery, +2 is essential when you only make 1 attack a round.

My Battlemaster Maneuvers were:

Precision (with the idea of using it with Sharpshooter)
Mobility (even more battlefield maneuverability
Trip (half my opponents movement if I need to run away, or aid my allies in combat by granting advantage)

Expertise I spent on Perception and Stealth

Feats:
Alert (essential for getting those auto crits)
Sharpshooter (damage optimization)

Considering:
Savage Attacker, Skulker, Observant, or possible Dungeoncrawler

Common Tactics:

As the stealthiest and more perceptive of the group I usually play scout. Identify threats, report back to the group and then set up an ambush, group lets me act first on the surprise round and then I use cunning action to move and hide in a new spot. (With my bonus to initiative I often get to go first again on the active round for 2 guaranteed crits) My DM rightfully doesn't allow me to hide in the same spot every turn so i need to beat enemies passive perception score to rehide, if the person i attacked is still alive he uses an active perception check to see where I went. Assuming I stealth well enough I pop out and do it again next turn. While the Barbarian Fighter seems to do more damage a turn than me I'm having a lot of fun playing the rogue. I feel useful every fight, the combat is engaging and thought provoking and due to my skills I bring utility both in and out of a fight.

Looking forward to:

Poison Mechanics and rules. Being proficient with a poison kit I can't wait for poison crafting rules to be fleshed out further in the DMG and add some more damage and utility to my combat style.