PDA

View Full Version : Level Up! (Build help and Finding a Link.)

Metahuman1
2014-09-23, 03:10 PM
So, as of last session's end, we hit level 7 in my IRL game. I've got 2 PC's, one of them my own, who need a smig of help.

The first PC is a Gish. Wizard 5 conjuration specilist with necromancy and enchantment banned and the Immediate magic: Abrupt Juant AFC, Warblade 1, and using a Homebrewed Gargoyle Race with no LA (but who rolled really well on stats. I know she has 18's in Str and Int, a 17 in Con, a 16 in both Dex and Cha, and I think a 14 or a 15 in Wis.). She wanted to go Swiftblade for her PrC cause she thought it was cool, and is TWF with a double bladed sword cause she thought it was cool (I have tried really hard to get her to change to a spike chain, or a Grasumei with Gantlets or Armor Spikes, or a great sword with Gauntlets or unarmed strikes or armor spikes, something, but she's married to this weapon for right now. I did at least get her to prioritize Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw on her Warblade maneuvers, and focus on Self Buffs, debuffs for enemy's, and utility spells for her spell casting.)

The problem I'm having with her is I cannot seem to find the link to the swift blade PrC so that I can look at what the first level gives. Particularly the class features and weather the first level advanced spell casting or not. I know she met the requirements when she got some martial weapons proficiency's form the warblade dip she took last level, but now I can't find it to start advancing her properly.

Does anyone have a link to the PrC so I can get a look at it again for her? My other question: She has the collage Wizard feat, so if she advances a caster level, I could use some recommendations on some new spells for her.

The other character, mine, is a dedicated caster who does some Item crafting. I'm a Sorcerer 5/ Mage of the Arcane Order 1, who's taking his Second Mage of the Arcane Order level with this level up. I've got several templates with no LA that the DM is allowing me to have as part of my backstory (he REALLY liked the back story and the way it links me to the campaigns overarching enemy's and story line, which is the only reason he allowed it according to him.)

My question is much more simple, I need some recommendations for spells known. I have at the moment:

Cantraps: Detect Magic
Prestidigitation
Dancing Lights
Ghost Sound
Detect Poison
Read Magic
Stick

1st: Grease
Enlarge Person
Ray of Enfeeblement
Know Protections
Lesser Orb of Sound (I got it as a bonus spell form a free bonus feat I earned with in story stuff. I never cast it, but with Heightened spell it's great for fueling a reserve feat I have for a few d6's of sonic damage reflex for half as a standard action all day as I need it. It's come in very handy during low levels for not running out of shots for the day.)

2nd: Rope Trick
Mirror's Image.

3rd: Distilled Joy. (I picked it up to use it to farm at strip clubs and brothels for the Ambrosia optional material component to help me branch out into Item crafting.)

I need a good spell for 1st, 2nd and 3rd level known slots, taking recommendations. As an added note, I'm the only dedicated caster (the Gish is occasional utility but for in combat she just self buffs and goes toe to toe as much as possible, falling back on other options only when required cause the character fancy's herself more warrior then mage.), and were just about to fight a boss fight. We know it takes at least a 28 to hit our enemy's through a previous engagement with one of them, and we know through knowledge rolls and divination magic and inform form contacts that they use to be human, were experimented on, and are now part human, part construct, and part Aberrations, but were not sure what the percentile split is. Some spells that could be generally nice but also good at ruining there day would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-23, 03:23 PM
Swiftblade (https://web.archive.org/web/20100327172812/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) and accompanying handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=333.0).

Zaq
2014-09-23, 03:28 PM
It will be difficult for the first character to enter Swiftblade. Abrupt Jaunt requires you to be a Conjurer, which means that you have a spell slot of each level that can only be used on a Conjuration spell. Swiftblade requires you to spend a level using all of your 3rd level slots to cast Haste, nothing else. You might be able to argue that you could leave your specialization slot blank, simply refraining from using it, while using your normal slots to cast Haste and nothing but Haste, but that's getting into GM call territory.

For the Sorcerer, there's a ton of good 2nd and 3rd level spells to take. At 2nd level, you've got Web, Glitterdust, Invisibility, Scorching Ray, Spider Climb, Alter Self, Resist Energy . . . and that's just PHB spells. At 3rd level, you've got Haste, Slow, Stinking Cloud, Dispel Magic, Arcane Sight, Suggestion, Tiny Hut, Blink, Fly, GMW, Ray of Exhaustion, Shrink Item . . . and again, those are just PHB spells. Open up PHB2, Spell Compendium, and other books, and you've got a huge wealth of spells to take. So really, what kind of spells are you interested in taking? What bases are you looking to cover?

Metahuman1
2014-09-23, 04:01 PM
Appreciate the link Extra Anchovies! =)

Zaq: The DM ruled that that requirement was a bit excessive (she's a fairly new player and was getting frustrated, along with a couple of other newbies in the party.) so he let me give people Rebuild help at 5th level and ruled as long as 1 of her 3rd level spell slots was Haste every day till she hit 7th level she could enter it. So she's got all the prerequisites, and now that I've got the link I can show her adding a prestige class level. And since it doesn't advance casting on level 1, I don't need new spells for her.

As for me, the party consists of:

1 Elf Urban Ranger with 2 levels of barbarain. Spirit Lion Totem, Wolf totem, Whirling Frenzy, Power Attack, Oversized TWF (using Scimitars cause cool factor.) and Knock down in effect.

1 Cat Heganyoki Rogue 5 Swordsage 1, using lot's of Shadow Hand, Diamond Mind, and dips into Setting Sun and Mountain Hammer form Stone Dragon.

1 homebrew LA 0 Damphifer/Half Elf Ranger 6. Archery Focused, and has Hanks Energy Bow and an affiliation giving her knowledge devotion + some bonuses to knowledge skills that make Knowledge devotion something she can use to proper effect, and power attack, which she's fueling with mostly Knowledge devotion and a good Dex right now.

1 Human Cloistered Cleric 1/Scout 4/Ranger 2. Archery Focused and using Swift Hunter, with Knowledge Devotion and Travel Devotion and Able Learner to help further support his Archery. He's also new so he's still getting the hang of the game.

1 Homebrew Gargoyel Wizard 5/ Warblade 1/ Going into Swiftblade 1. She's gonna take about 9 levels of Swift Blade, having talked with her and helped her on the character due to her being new, and after that probably try to qualify for a tweaked Jade Phoenix Mage

And Me. 1 Sorcerer 5 / Mage of the Arcane Order 2.

I don't know what the rogue/swordsage or the first two rangers are planning to do for this level or going forward. I know Swift Hunter is gonna stay ranger for the rest of his career. I know the path for the Gargoyle Gish. And I know I'm finishing Mage of the Arcane Order and at some point I'm gonna look for another PrC to take for up to 5 levels that doesn't cost caster levels and gives the Sorcerer nice things, or barring that, helps with Item Crafting.

As for spells, I am the dedicated mage. The guy the party goes too when it needs a magic solution first and for most. And I'm a sorcerer, so, I run well on spells I can get good effect out of spamming. Mirror's Image is there for me to be able to give a nice buff during boss fights, and to throw down on myself at the start of a fight to protect myself. Apart from that, I'm very into the "Less direct damage, more debuffs/save and suck/loose/die" kind of casting.

I was thinking Web or Glitter Dust for the 2nd level spell, and I was thinking of Dispel Magic or Solid Fog or possibly Stinking Cloud for my 3rd, just not sure how much those will work on what I'm presently fighting.

And I really need some ideas for first level. Honestly, the only one that's caught my eye so far is a spell called Inhibit that costs the target it's turn on a failed will save.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-09-23, 09:57 PM
The following spells are definitely worth considering.
\
Nybor's Gentle Reminder
Spirit Worm
Nerveskitter
Cloud of Bewilderment
Gedlee's Electric Loop
Shadow Spray
Silver Dragonmail
Know Protections
Scale Weakening
Darkbolt
Undeniable Gravity
Veil Of Shadow
Sunstroke

Metahuman1
2014-09-24, 10:34 AM
Ok, those are some awesome suggestions and I love them. I'll have to pick and choose a few, but yeah, this just greatly broadened what I'm looking at for 1st and 2nd level spells known. Thank you, I think that's everything I needed for right now. =)