PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Halloween Nerdfest Pajama Party Sleepover 2014

Dalebert
2014-09-23, 04:08 PM
Want to help me brainstorm ideas? Read on if you're not already bored.

Okay, so I want to have a Halloween party that's extra nerdy and I want to give casual gamers a chance to have a little fun with Pathfinder without having to spend hours making a character or becoming part of an ongoing campaign that requires a continual scheduling commitment and so forth. I thought it would be cool to do a one-shot dungeon with a Halloween theme. I would make a selection of characters ahead of time so there's some choice but no work. Each would have a paragraph or two of background that hopefully helps them fit in well with the adventure, maybe gives them their own reason for being there. Maybe they all crossed paths with the same nemesis and he has created a premise to get each of them here for revenge or a test or some such.

My normal level of tolerance for cheesiness will be higher than normal for this. To me, that's what I love about Halloween--all the tacky decorations and the ridiculous stories. I eat it up. I'm thinking of borrowing some of the things I liked from classic movies--The Raven, Murder by Death (Not a great movie overall but liked some elements--maybe the layout of a castle changes in response to events triggering Walls of Stone or Passwalls to simulate moving rooms), Creepshow I and II, Killer Klowns from Outer Space... You get the idea.

I have some cool ideas for stuph to do like killer automatons that look like Chuck E. Cheese characters or ghouls and other undead made up like scary clowns and I'm open to more ideas like that. What I would love is help with a cool theme to tie it all together and set the primary goal--maybe something the PCs will have to do to escape alive. I want the potential for death to be fairy high. If someone dies, I'll let them pick another character who shows up late.

It doesn't necessarily have to be scary but that's fine if it works. It can just be Halloween-themed but cheesy and funny. I'm open to character concept ideas as well, e.g. a monk on a quest to prove his courage or a wizard who has to find a black dragon heart for a special magic item, but those are just brain farts.

nakedonmyfoldin
2014-09-23, 04:52 PM
Maybe some cultists are trying to bring the great pumpkin into the world, if you wanna go that cheesy.

To me, this sounds like a pretty neat idea. And since it's not going to be a continuous game, smatter the dungeon with awesome loot that will get your characters excited for the short term. Things that allow one x per day or something are not going to be exciting. I also think this is an opportunity to include all of the famous monsters out there that don't really fit into D&D - classic Dracula, creature from the black lagoon... hell, unleash a Freddy Krueger scenario when the players stop to sleep.

Dalebert
2014-09-23, 06:04 PM
I also think this is an opportunity to include all of the famous monsters out there that don't really fit into D&D - classic Dracula, creature from the black lagoon... hell, unleash a Freddy Krueger scenario when the players stop to sleep.

I like the way you think. I'll try to have classic horror scenarios like that but adapt them slightly to fit the D&D theme. Like I'll have some sort of dream invader who kills you in your sleep but maybe it will be the ghost of a mind flayer with a background and motivations similar to Freddy Krueger. Maybe I'll have a steroided undead fashioned after the Frankenstein monster. Still, these are ideas for themes within the adventure and I'm hoping to hear ideas to tie it all together into some kind of BBEG.

Another thing--SOMETHING needs to happen that will split up the party at some point and allow each character to face their greatest fear. That's a classic horror movie thing that happens even though it never makes sense. It's such a stupid thing for PCs to do. So I have to contrive something to force that to happen.

I just got a burst of inspiration ala Stephen King's It. I think I may write up a short story involving all of the characters together on their first adventure against some big bad relative to their status at the time (1st level or something). They all went their separate ways as adventurers. Now it's back! All the characters are being drawn together again maybe around 11th level to face it again only it's been growing just as they have.

nakedonmyfoldin
2014-09-23, 07:42 PM
Also: put monsters in the closet/under the bed, the bad guy is behind the door, and the dungeon is beneath or in the same ground as an Indian burial ground.

Oddman80
2014-09-23, 08:18 PM
When you mentioned killer clowns from outer space, my mind went straight to freaky deaky funhouses. How about you use a travelling circus run by freak show maniac killers. They set up shop, and slaughter unknowing townspeople who come to the show and get split up from their group while in the funhouse. They usually skip town before anyone realizes people are missing. The PCs have been hired by one of the family members who had lost someone several days ago. They have been sent to track down the circus and investigate. Upon the PCs arrival at the circus, their presence is noted, and all sorts of crazy sh*t breaks loose!

You can have fun with illusions.
You can have fun with creepy settings
Cheese to the max! Were those real swarms of spiders that were dropped on you from above? Or just a distraction?

Hall of mirrors + illusions = split up party!

Gas chamber that actually fills with a paralytic gas.

Have PCs wake in a SAW like holding chamber.

Have i mentioned the zombies? after all, the whole purpose of the circus was to collect meat suits to serve in the BBEG's undead army... I'd go with chaotic evil halfling that has been driven capital "i" - INSANE, due to the number of evil grafts that had been attached to him against his will (we're talking arms coming out of his head, crazy messed up stuff here) before he was forced into the freak show all those years ago... WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!?!? He says over, and over... to nobody in particular.

Blackhawk748
2014-09-23, 08:21 PM
Maybe some cultists are trying to bring the great pumpkin into the world, if you wanna go that cheesy.

Did this. :smallbiggrin: I did an entire quest line of twisted peanuts with pregenned characters. My group friggin loved it. I can send you the quest outline if you want some ideas, its a tad long to post lol

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-23, 08:42 PM
If it's halloween-themed, be sure to include some undead (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2rwxs1gH9w).

Also, to help players pick their characters more quickly, consider building each character based off a picture you have or that you find on the internet, so they can choose their character based on what looks cool, and then they also have an easier time visualizing their own character and the other characters.

ETA:
I have some cool ideas for stuph to do like killer automatons that look like Chuck E. CheeseSomebody's played Five Nights at Freddy's, haven't they?