PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Dragon Shaman into the Paladin Oath Chassis: Comments please

Yagyujubei
2014-09-23, 05:37 PM
so a buddy of mine was trying to fit dragon shaman into 5E and I've been thinking about it and came up with this:

Oath of the Dragon (Green)
Level 3 Features
-Breath Weapon(Green): Channel Divinity (1 total/short rest)As an action you may use breath weapon as a dragonborn of the corresponding color.
-Frightful Presence: Channel Divinity (1 total/short rest). As an action, you may exude the presence of a dragon to terrify enemies within 15ft. Targets must succeed a wisdom saving throw or be frightened for one turn.
-Oath Spells: 3rd: Charm person, Fog Cloud 5th: Suggestion, Mirror Image 9th: Hypnotic Pattern, Dispel Magic 13th: Hallucinatory Terrain, Compulsion 17th: Dominate Person, Tree Stride

Level 7 Features
-Draconic Aura(green): You and allies within range gain resistance to (poison)damage. Additionally, any ally in your aura can spend a bonus action and 1 hit die to heal themselves for the rolled amount.

Level 15 Features
-Draconic Adaptation(green): Continued use of your draconic powers has caused your body to undergo permanent changes. you gain +1AC, additionally you can (breath underwater indefinitely and can use spells and other abilities freely underwater).

Level 20 Features
-Dragon form(green): As a standard action, you're body assumes the characteristics of a dragon. For one hour, you gain flight and resistance to physical damage. In addition, for the duration of the ability your weapon attacks also deal (poison) damage and do an additional 1d6 per attack.

I also tried to make the template so that it would work for any color of dragon by swapping out the appropriate things in the parenthesized bits and putting in spells themed after the dragon color. I'm not sure if this is out of balance; it feels slightly strong to me, but I don't think it's anything game breaking.

But then again I'm not good at gauging strength from just writing it all down so I wanted peoples opinions on balance, flavor, the overall setup etc. to get it just right.

Daishain
2014-09-23, 05:50 PM
Kill that aura, it is way too much by 5E's standards

Immunities are very very rare by design, and you've slapped one in there for an entire party along with other good freebies. Including free healing, which the designers have also made rare

Remember what the other oaths get by comparison at that level
-aura for can't be charmed
-aura for resistance to spell damage
-partial move action after an AoO

Overall though, not bad

Yagyujubei
2014-09-23, 06:07 PM
ok so my reasoning for the aura:

1. as for immunity to poison dmg, I thought it was decently balanced against something like having ALL magical dmg halved since it's only useful situationaly, it would be insane under the right circumstances though so maybe just the traditional resistance to half dmg from your dragons color.

2. I was trying to fit in the natural armor a dragon shaman would get, and the vigor aura the class gets. I looked at it like this: at lvl 7 your average character will have 55-75 hp lets say, and enemies will likely be hitting for 10-20 and tried to balance it with that, but looking at it from the other way, it WOULD be like getting 1/3 or 1/2 of a hit die roll each turn I guess..maybe bump it down to 2? it does only effect those in close melee combat since the range is only 15ft.

maybe (x type) resistance, 1AC, and 2hp/turn when below half?

The other thing I could see is a paladin having this up when not in battle to always keep the pt at half hp minimum, so maybe a caveat could make it only work while in battle?

thanks for the input btw.

Sidmen
2014-09-23, 06:51 PM
Just read through it, and I agree that your Aura is quite a bit too strong.

May I suggest the following changes:

Immunity to the Poisoned condition, and Resistance to Poison damage. (makes ongoing poison much less severe)

Get rid of the AC bonus, it's not something that fits with 5th edition's new scheme.

Instead of rapid regeneration, let the players spend Hit Dice to recover damage as a bonus action (maximum of 1 per round). Only if they're at 1/2 HP.

Honestly, Your level 15 seems a bit too potent too. The Oath of Devotion only gives a permanent Protection from Evil spell. Oath of the Ancients gives you a single racial feature (Half Orc). If you agree, I'd recommend giving your +1 AC at this level, along with the breathing/using abilities underwater power - and nix the bonus skills and speak with creatures ability.

Dragon Form should probably note how you turn it on. Is it an Action or a Bonus Action, or is it something you can just choose to do?

Yagyujubei
2014-09-23, 07:20 PM
ah yeah i didn't specify there, you activate it as an action. ok I think those ideas are good I'll change the OP to reflect it and I think it should be pretty good, now I just need to think of a couple tennats that will apply for all dragons, and then each dragon can have one or two that apply only to them.