PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Half-Goblinoid

not.a.newb
2014-09-23, 06:01 PM
The campaign I'm currently running takes places in the Pure Steam setting, and in recent re-reading of the book, I noticed that hobgoblins, at least, are one of the major races in the setting. From a few other tidbits, it seems that goblinoids in general are portrayed as more civilized than I'm used to. Thusly, I found it only appropriate to create a couple of half-goblinoid races:

Ability Score Racial Traits: Half-Hobgoblin characters gain a +2 bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation to represent their varied nature.
Type: Half-Hobgoblins are humanoids with the half-goblinoid subtype.
Size: Half-Hobgoblins are Medium creatures and thus have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Base Speed: Half-Hobgoblins have a base speed of 30 feet.
Languages: Half-Hobgoblins begin play speaking Common and Goblin. Half-Hobgoblins with high Intelligence scores can choose from any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic.) See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.

Sneaky: Half-Hobgoblins receive a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks.
Bonus Feat: Half-Hobgoblins select one extra feat at 1st level.

Darkvision: Half-Hobgoblins can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.

Hobgoblin Blood: Half-Hobgoblins count as both humans and hobgoblins for any effect related to race.

The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.

Engineer: Like their hobgoblin parents, half-hobgoblin engineers tinker endlessly with fire, explosives, and the engines of war. Half-Hobgoblins with this racial trait gain a +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) and Knowledge (engineering) checks. This racial trait replaces sneaky.
Scarred: A half-hobgoblin can scar himself with both blade and fire to toughen his hide into a mass of horny scars. Hobgoblins with this racial trait gain a +1 natural armor bonus to Armor Class. However, the repeated exposure to fire permanently damages their eyes. This racial trait replaces the darkvision racial trait.
Unfit: Half-hobgoblins who failed to secure a position in the military hold the lowest status in hobgoblin society, and quickly learn the value of currying favor with their betters. Hobgoblins with this racial trait gain proficiency in a single martial weapon and +1 racial bonus on Bluff and Diplomacy checks. This racial trait replaces sneaky.
Forest Walker: More at home in the forests and jungles of the world, these Half-Hobgoblins are well adapted to their surroundings. Half-Hobgoblins with this trait have low-light vision and gain a +2 racial bonus on Climb checks. This racial trait replaces darkvision.
Skilled: Second- and third-generation Half-Hobgoblins often favor their human heritage more than their Hobgoblin heritage. Half-Hobgoblins with this trait gain 1 additional skill rank per level. This racial trait replaces darkvision.

Ability Score Racial Traits: Half-Goblins are fast and bright, but exceptionally weak. They gain +4 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, and –4 Strength.
Type: Half-Goblins are humanoids with the half-goblinoid subtype.
Size: Half-Goblins are Small creatures and thus gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their CMB and CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
Base Speed: Half-Goblins are fast for their size, and have a base speed of 30 feet.
Languages: Half-Goblins begin play speaking Goblin and Common. Half Goblins with with high Intelligence scores can choose from any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic.) See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.

Skilled: Goblins gain a +4 racial bonus on Ride and Stealth checks.

Fast Movement: Half-Goblins gain a +10 foot bonus to their base speed (this is already added to their Base Speed above.)

Darkvision: Half-Goblins can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.

Goblin Blood: Half-Goblins count as both humans and goblins for any effect related to race.

The following alternate racial traits may be selected in place of one or more of the standard racial traits above. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.

Engineer: Like their Goblin parents, Half-Goblin engineers tinker endlessly with fire, explosives, and the engines of war. Half-Goblins with this racial trait gain a +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) and Knowledge (engineering) checks. This racial trait replaces the +4 racial bonus to Ride checks.
Skilled: Second- and third-generation Half-Goblins often favor their human heritage more than their Goblin heritage. Half-Goblins with this trait gain 1 additional skill rank per level. This racial trait replaces darkvision.
Unusually Large: Some Half-Goblins are much closer in size to their human parents than to any Goblins in their family. Half-Goblins with this racial trait gain all the standard traits of a Medium creature. This racial trait replaces the 'Fast Movement' racial trait.
Weapon Familiarity: Goblins' traditional weapons are the dogslicer and the horsechopper, weapons designed specifically to bring down their most hated foes. Half-Goblins with this trait are proficient with the dogslicer and the horsechopper, and treat any weapon with the word “goblin” in it as martial weapons. This racial trait replaces the +4 racial bonus to Stealth checks.
Eat Anything: Raised with little or no proper food, many Half-Goblins have learned to survive by eating whatever they happen across and can digest nearly anything without getting sick. Half-Goblins with this trait gain a +4 on Survival checks to forage for food and a +4 racial bonus on saves versus effects that cause the nauseated or sickened conditions. This racial trait replaces skilled.

Any thoughts?

stitchlipped
2014-09-24, 04:44 AM
Hi,

I don't feel qualified to talk about the race balance as I haven't played much Pathfinder, but conceptually I don't think you need a half-goblin and a half-hobgoblin. I'd also point out that as a rule you don't really see half-creatures that have mixed heritage between medium and small creatures; I've never seen official support in a system for a half-gnome, or a half-halfling (three-quarterling?)! And both of those hybrids seems marginally more likely to happen than a human/goblin pairing.

If you do want to include the half-goblin as well I'd actually argue they should be a hybrid of goblin and halfling, removing human from the equation.

gr8artist
2014-09-24, 11:53 AM
Agreed. Goblin/Halfling makes more sense, though Hobgoblin/Human works as well.
Honestly, I think you can make it a single race, that encompasses all varieties of Hobgoblin/(human, elf, orc, etc.) and Goblin/(gnome, halfling, etc). Perhaps just list alternate racial traits to drop Str and Size and increase Dex.

the bigger problem is the lack of flavor. There's no abilities that make me want to really play one. Hobs should have an intimidate bonus, and maybe crafting or something. Look at half-elves. they've forged out their own niche in the world, and your goblin-blooded just seem like re-skinned humans.

not.a.newb
2014-09-24, 02:41 PM
Firstly, I'd highly recommend picking up a copy of the pure steam book for evaluation, as these races are both intended for use in that setting, which is significantly different from the high fantasy standars settings for Pathfinder. That said, I still agree that the races are lacking flavor and the deal with GoblinxHuman seemed odd to me as well. In this setting, it would make a lot of sense for a GoblinxGnome, (which I would still call a half-goblin), which could potentially have more flavor. As for Half-Hobgoblin, the fun of it would be more setting-based fluff than anything else, however, it definitely would benefit from some more flavor. Any specific thoughts? Keep in mind the actual races involved; Hobgoblins, for example, don't get any racial craft or intimidate bonus, so it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for half-hobgoblins to either. However, I'm open to flavor ideas for either race.