PDA

View Full Version : Persona-SotVD: Pins and Needles

Kioku
2014-09-23, 07:56 PM
"Don't worry, I got the key near the beginning of the year after explaining what I'd need the room for." Asami puts the key in the lock and turns, opening the door to the home ec room. "See? Nobody else was using the sewing machines after hours except once or twice a week, so this arrangement is a perfect learning environment. I've got to finish up a couple of things anyway." She smiles over her shoulder at Kyoko, holding the door open with the arm that isn't full of fabric.

banthesun
2014-09-24, 12:14 AM
Kyoko pokes her head into the dimly lit room and looks around as the lights warm up.

"You've already got a key for this place? It sounds like you're settling in pretty fast here!"

Not wanting to make Asami hold the door any longer than necessary, Kyoko ducks in and places her bag on one of the benches.

"Thanks for this, Asami, this is kinda cool. I did find a pattern I'd like to use, if you're not too busy finishing off whatever you're working on."

Kioku
2014-09-24, 12:21 AM
"Not at all! Just finishing up a bit of scrap and patch, really. Let's see the pattern - is it something for yourself?" Asami twists into the room and slides the door closed again with a foot before setting her stack of cloth on a table and taking off her own bag.

banthesun
2014-09-24, 12:38 AM
"Ah, no, it's for a friend from my old school. We always used to get each other presents, so I thought it would be nice if I made her something myself."

Kyoko rifles through her bag for a few seconds before pulling out a stack of printed papers. She hasn't cut the pattern out yet, and what's more it looks particularly complicated.

"It's something I found online; it's meant to make a toy puppy. I thought it looked really cute in the pictures, and I think Mariko would really like it!"

Kioku
2014-09-24, 12:46 AM
Asami stares at the stack of papers. This is going to be a lot more complicated than I thought. "I hope you're really good at measurements, because I don't think we can get anything to transfer those to... may I?" She reaches out a hand, wanting to glance through to assess the difficulty of the project. "What did you want to stuff it with, by the way? Cotton, rice, beans...?"

banthesun
2014-09-24, 01:10 AM
Did I do something wrong? Asami seems a bit concerned...

Kyoko hands her the bundle of papers with an embarrassed grin.

"Uh, I kinda figured I could just use the print outs? I was thinking of filling it with beans, so it's all floppy. That's how it works, right?"

Kioku
2014-09-24, 01:19 AM
Asami looks through the papers. Not quite as bad as I thought, most of the cuts are for small areas that end up stitched together rather than a few larger pieces. "Surprisingly... yes, we can use the print outs as they are. Normally you'd be cutting along the pattern, but that's hard to do if the pattern is on several separate sheets for a single piece. This one is composed mainly of smaller sections though, so it'll be fine." She looks up with the smile returned. "Good choice!"

banthesun
2014-09-24, 01:56 AM
"Phew! I thought making something small first would be best. I'll start cutting it out. Uh, if there isn't anything else I need to know first."

Kyoko starts laying the papers on the fabric and shifting them about to try various positions.

"Oh, and is it alright if I see what you're working on too?"

Kioku
2014-09-24, 02:05 AM
"You'll want to cut out the papers first probably, that way you can lay them without worrying about paper overlap if you want to get the least waste for your fabric. Last person I explained that to just told me to compare it to "tetris", but I've never played, so... anyway. Then pins to attach the pattern to the fabric, prevent sliding. This pattern is small enough that I'd just use a razor or something instead of scissors for the fabric itself. You should be able to get through it all no problem long as you make sure the fabric is double layered for the parts that say to make two identical pieces like the sides, legs and ears... sorry, I'm rambling a little, just go ahead." Asami bites her lip to suppress a grin at (hopefully!) being helpful, while hoping that she hasn't given too much information... or treated Kyoko poorly with the 'assume nothing' approach. "My work is really just taking fixing up tears mostly and cannibalizing old clothes that are beyond repair. Nothing interesting, but you're welcome to watch if you like."

banthesun
2014-09-24, 02:56 AM
"Okay, so I cut this first... and use pins... double layered..."

Kyoko murmured to herself as Asami listed off instructions. There were a fair few things to remember, but they all seemed simple enough.

"Okay, I think I got all that," she said, and started cutting up the pattern. "I'd figured when you said you had things to finish you had projects you were working on. I'm sure it must be useful being able to fix up your own clothes, but-" Kyoko paused for thought. "Hey Asami, why do you do your own sewing?"

Kioku
2014-09-24, 05:55 AM
Why do I...? "I'm not entirely sure I understand the question. Why do I do it instead of someone else, do you mean?" Asami shrugs. "Nobody else in my family really knows how to beyond the basics. Well no, that's not true - my mother can, but she's no good with Japanese clothes, only western-style ones... and only repairs and alteration, not making things from scratch. That's usually enough, though, unless..." She ponders a moment and starts laying out what she intends to work on while continuing. "I guess I felt like I needed an edge, to be able to fit in and keep up with others. How you look affects that," she finally says after considering another meaning for Kyoko's question.

banthesun
2014-09-24, 06:32 AM
Kyoko stopped what she was doing to listen to Asami's answer. It sounded like her reasons were a bit more complicated than Kyoko had expected. Either that or she hadn't been clear enough with her question...

"Oh, I was wondering if you wanted to be a fashion designer or something. Or if you'd considered doing sewing as a job. I mean, plenty of people would pay to get their clothes patched up professionally." She gives a shrug. "I'd never thought of making your own clothes as a way to fit in though. Don't most people just buy fashionable clothes for that?"

Kioku
2014-09-24, 06:56 AM
Asami looks up and gives Kyoko a 'you just answered your own question' look. "Most people who would prefer spending three to ten times as much as the cost of materials, yes. But no, no interest in doing anything like this professionally. I have done patch jobs or taken commissions for custom articles a couple of times, but the recipients usually paid in cake or returned services or something, it was more like a favor to a friend than anything else." She snickers at that. "Not that you owe me dinner for this or anything. Conversation and willingness to learn is plenty."

banthesun
2014-09-24, 07:42 AM
Kyoko caught Asami's look, making her feel a bit silly for not considering price. Still Asami would have to put in a lot of work to make something that looks as good as store bought clothes, unless she was some kind of sewing prodigy. Kyoko resolved to get a good look at how she worked, just in case that was true, but for now Kyoko returned to cutting out and arranging the shapes.

"Well, as long as you enjoy it, then that's reason enough! Pin and... I guess I understand the appeal of making things for friends," Kyoko chuckled, "considering that's what I'm up to. Thanks again for teaching me, Asami."

Kioku
2014-09-24, 08:26 AM
I wonder what ever *happened* to that cake I brought the first day. It was gone when I looked for it after everyone finished eating... "Hmm? Oh, of course, no problem at all. Sorry, I got distracted by a thought Let me know if you want help arranging or cutting or anything." Asami proceeds to take out a very short blade, among other tools, and starts to work at what she's placed down so far. Her hands are very sure, her movements quick and efficient from long practice - whether it's practice sewing or practice with knife-work can't be said.

These buttons are nice, I can definitely find something to use them on. These trousers are a lost cause, but denim is good for sharpening razors on and I can definitely use the extra material for extensions to fill tears. Someone really did a number on this hakama, but it nearly matches the yukata that Hikari-chan needs shortened...

banthesun
2014-09-24, 09:13 AM
"Sure, I think I'm fine for now though!"

After a while pinning and cutting, Kyoko managed to get the fabric ready, and she'd layed it out so some of the edges she'd need to sew were touching. Kyoko had snuck a few peeks at Asami while she worked, and it was clear she was much confident with the blade than Kyoko was. While she'd been cutting the fabric Kyoko had also been trying to figure out how the sewing machines worked, hoping to impress Asami, or at least not need even more instruction. But they just had too many knobs and switches, all of which seemed to be marked with abstract pictures of stitches, and so Kyoko was forced to ask for help.

"Okay, I've finished cutting everything out now. Uh, I'm not quite sure what to do next."

Kioku
2014-09-24, 09:46 AM
Broken from her thoughts, Asami looks up again, looks at the cut fabric, and smiles. "Here, use this Elna. It's older, but it'll do just fine and is easier to start on than one of the Janomes. You just want to leave it on the basic straight stitch. The petal down there will respond to varying pressure, so the harder you press the faster it'll go; just take it slow, there's no reason to rush. This wheel on the side will make it stitch manually, which is especially useful for finishing ends and for raising the needle when you need to take something out or making sure it's lowered when you want to rotate something. When you need to go backward, press your knee against this hanging bar down here. The pattern showed where all the stitches go and included the extra space for them in the cutting instructions, so no need to worry about that. This switch here will raise and lower the foot, just make sure it's down before you start sewing and up if you need to take something out or rotate it." She sets the machine winding a bobbin while talking and pointing things out, then installs it and has the thread set a minute or so later.

banthesun
2014-09-24, 10:45 AM
The machine Asami had directed her to was much simpler, but Kyoko still had to listen close to the instructions. She sat down resting her foot gently on the pedal and checked the switch for the 'foot'. She hadn't even realised there was a pedal in her previous examination, which at least explained some of her earlier confusion. She was still a bit cautious with the machine, but she thought she understood Asami's instructions.

Alright, I suppose I'll give this a go..."

Very gently, she eased on to the pedal and begun feeding the fabric through. The machine chugged into life, a lot slower than usual, but still fast enough to surprise Kyoko. She eased off the pedal to check her work, but if she'd done anything wrong so far she couldn't tell. She gave it another spurt of slow stitches, a bit longer this time. Kyoko felt like she was getting a bit more used to it now, but she turned to Asami to see if she had any corrections for her.

Huh, turns out I have a memory of learning to use a sewing machine I'd completely forgotten until I started writing this... :smallconfused:

Kioku
2014-09-24, 10:50 AM
Asami nods a couple of times. "You'll want to backtack at both ends to make sure it doesn't come lose, but looking good." She steps away, glad that Kyoko picked up the idea quickly, and resumes her mental mapping of what to do with the hakama.

banthesun
2014-09-24, 11:37 AM
Pleased that she'd got it right on her first try, Kyoko began to feed it through faster, using the pedal a lot less gingerly. She'd been concerned that she'd have trouble because of her arm, but guiding the fabric through the machine was a lot easier than she'd expected, and it wasn't troubling her at all. She got to the end of the join, and doubled back as Asami had instructed. As she finished, she realised that she'd forgotten to do the locking down right at the start. A mixture of embarrassment and frustration washed over her. The rest of the stitching looked perfectly fine, was there nothing she could do? There was still a bit of thread left at the start, but she wasn't sure if she could actually fix it. Cautiously, she called out to Asami.

"Um, I forgot to do the doubling back thing at the start. I can fix that by hand, right?"

Kioku
2014-09-24, 12:13 PM
It doesn't line up quite perfectly, but nobody should notice that bit without a careful look since it's in the folds. Asami's just finished lining up the last bit of the hakama's patchwork in her head before doing the actual cutting up of the pieces she intends to use for it, when she hears Kyoko's question. "Sure, or if you need to join it to another part just do it then. It's not likely go fall apart on you any time soon, it's just easier to do sooner instead of later. I'd say just go over it again when you attach something else near there."

banthesun
2014-09-25, 01:28 AM
"Ah, okay"

Kyoko looked through the pattern, found a seam that would overlap, and got to work sewing that on. She soon settled into the work, sewing slowly, but at least working consistantly. She remained very focused on her work, making sure to look closely at every seam she joined, and using the manual wheel to work on some of the finer stitches. After a while of working intently, the design was ready to be turned the right way out. As she pushed it through, Kyoko could see how rough some of the stitching was around the curves. Holding the soft covering out in front of her, it was clear the puppy was hand made, but Kyoko was happy with it for a first attempt. She skipped over to where Asami was working and presented it.

"Ta-da! One soft puppy!" she announced, and tried to hold it out so the shape would be clear. "I forgot to get anything to fill it with, or anything to use for the eyes, so I guess I'll have to finish it off another time," she admitted.

Kioku
2014-09-25, 01:44 AM
Asami smiles and giggles at the nigh-complete puppy. "Very nice! I'm sure it'll be appreciated along with all the work that went into it." She looks almost done with her current project, replacing the sleeve to a large coat, while the four things from earlier all lie complete on another table. "Each thing I wanted to do were pretty minor, fast jobs besides the match and patch one, so I'm ready to go in a minute if you want, or stay for a while longer if you'd like to try something else."

banthesun
2014-09-25, 03:20 AM
Kyoko gives a big smile in response to Asami's praise, and lets out a "Thanks!" Looking over Asami's completed projects, Kyoko couldn't spot any of the signs and mistakes that had made her own work appear so unprofessional.

Well, that must be the benefit of practise!

"Um, I didn't really plan anything else to do, so I guess I'm done, unless you have anything else you want to teach me... It was a lot easier than I'd expected, actually!" Kyoko paused, with a mischievous smile on her face, before deciding to go on, "I guess I must just have a great teacher!"

Kioku
2014-09-26, 04:32 AM
"There wasn't that much teaching to it," Asami replies shyly and turning so that her curtain of hair obscures her face from Kyoko's angle. "All you needed were the bare basics of how it all worked, and you managed to figure out and follow the pattern, no problem. Anyone could have explained what I did." She finishes attaching the new sleeve, cuts the thread and gives it a few tugs to make sure it's secure before pushing it right-side-out. "I'd be glad to help out if you have another project some time, though. For now how about we clean up and go? I'm getting pretty hungry."

banthesun
2014-09-26, 06:11 AM
Oh, I guess Asami can be bashful sometimes too. That fringe really works for it though!

"Well, I really enjoyed it anyway. Thanks."

Kyoko nodded a response to Asami's question, and began to help tidy up, packing her half-complete puppy away safely in her bag before starting gather up the scraps of paper and fabric she'd cut. The left over fabric was soft, but most of the pieces were smaller than she could really figure out what to do with.

"I wonder if I should save these..." she pondered out loud.

Kioku
2014-09-26, 06:41 AM
"Use them for stuffing, if nothing else," Asami comments without turning around, taking a guess at what Kyoko is talking about. "They're soft, shouldn't harm the texture of the beans if they're small enough, and if it gets torn you'll have the scraps on-hand already to fix it with." She turns around, pile of projects draped over one arm again, and reclaims the remaining thread from the machine she was using. "Do you feel like going straight back to the dorm, or maybe getting something to eat on the way?"

banthesun
2014-09-26, 07:29 AM
"Oh, that's a good idea!" remarked Kyoko, stashing the spare pieces in with the puppy and picking up her bag. "It's not too late, so let's get something on the way back! I saw an interesting looking noodle place near the bus stop, if you don't have anything in mind."

Noticing the stack of clothes in Asami's arm and wondering if they needed to be kept flat, Kyoko asked "Oh, do you want help with those?"

Kioku
2014-09-26, 07:35 AM
Asami's smile comes back as she walks over to open the door. "Interesting looking noodle place it is! I'll be fine with the cloth and clothes, I was just going to drop a couple of these off at their recipients' lockers anyway. That'll lighten the load pretty significantly." She twists out of the doorway, getting out the key to lock up again once Kyoko is out as well.

banthesun
2014-09-26, 08:03 AM
Kyoko wondered what the recipients of the clothes had bribed Asami with. She didn't question Asami about it though, her friends were her buisness. Kyoko had felt a little pang of jealousy at how Asami had seemed to have settled in at the new school so quickly, but she tried not to let it bother her, at least she was getting on alright with Asami.

As they walked, Kyoko asked "Asami, have you thought about joining the sewing club here? Uh, you're not already a member, right?" she added.

Kioku
2014-09-26, 08:13 AM
"Hai, I've both thought about it and I'm not a member. They do it because it's something they like sewing for its own sake, or they want to be fashion designers as a career, or something. I'm not interested in anything like that, I just like it because it's a very useful life skill, and you can never have too many of those. I like it for the end result, clothes that fit well, look good, and that I know intimately because I made them." Asami takes Kyoko's free hand with hers and gives it a small squeeze. "It's fun to do with friends too, though. Just not something I think I'd like spending more time on than necessary for what it produces. I'm content to only know the basics. I do think you could pick up more about it pretty easily though, if you wanted to. You seemed to take to it pretty naturally, I hear that most people need instructions more than once and can't seem to grasp the cutting alignment bit, so they waste fabric."

banthesun
2014-09-26, 08:47 AM
Kyoko found herself impressed by Asami's answer. There was a certain earnestness in her intent, and Kyoko couldn't help immediately imagining the sewing club as being somewhat pettier in comparison. She let out a small "ahh" of approval and nodded. When Asami took her hand, Kyoko momentarily tensed up, but relaxed again almost immediately. It was her right hand Asami had grabbed, so Kyoko didn't have to worry about her feeling the ugly lump on her left this time. She returned the squeeze and smiled at Asami, blushing slightly from being called a friend. Her blush only spread further upon being complimented on her sewing, and she tried to stammer out some kind of refusal, but couldn't figure out what to say. When she felt her blush beginning to recede, she replied.

"I guess I was trying to figure out which club to join here. I mean, we don't have to join any because of the stuff at the dorms, but my parents have been bugging me about it, and the teachers are always giving speeches about how important they are..." Trailing off, it's clear exactly how much Kyoko thinks of their speeches. "I doubt there's anything like the Nature Club here, though. What club were you in at your old school?"

Kioku
2014-09-26, 09:30 AM
"Occult research club," Asami replies in complete deadpan fashion, staring straight ahead. She waits several beats before she starts laughing and turns her head toward Kyoko. "I don't think they actually had one of those, but it could have been fun! No, no, I was with the debate team. We didn't meet every day, so it was good for me since it gave time for my job, and to drop into a few other clubs on occasion." She tilts her head before looking forward again. "You should try starting a Nature Club if you want there to be one, it sounds like a good idea. People start new clubs all the time, right? You just need to find enough people for it, and I'm more than willing to help with that if you like."

banthesun
2014-09-26, 09:51 AM
"Occult- uh?"

Up till the moment Asami burst out laughing, Kyoko had completely bought it. She felt embarrassed for being fooled, but couldn't help herself from laughing along with Asami.

"Nooooo, you can't say that now we're part of that persona thing!" she protested, though her huge smile showed how much she was enjoying herself. She nodded approval to Asami's explanation about the debate team, but she didn't really know enough about debating to comment on it. It could be interesting if they had one at this school, but it probably required people to be a bit more foward than Kyoko was.

"I guess it could be interesting to start a club here, but I don't know if I'm really suited to lead. Besides, I'm not sure if they'd allow it here. We didn't really do much in the Nature Club, except walk and talk. Our president used to joke that the only reason it was called that was because 'Walking Club' wouldn't have been approved by the teachers."

Kioku
2014-09-26, 10:10 AM
"So don't appoint yourself the leader, if you don't want to lead," Asami waves off. "Just make sure the club plants a few trees, maybe starts a small public garden or something, it'd probably work out. Or there's probably a whole mess of clubs dedicated to talking about particular subjects already, I know I saw an 'anime and manga' club poster somewhere." She steps away and starts looking for a particular locker, now that they've reached the front doors. "I don't think I'll be joining any clubs here, with everything else that's going on. Besides, it would make my schedule too predictable..."

banthesun
2014-09-26, 10:33 AM
"Hmmm, I'm not sure who I could get to use if I did start one." Though Kyoko was mainly dismissing Asami's suggestions, she felt thankful that Asami was actually being so helpful and positive. "It's not like we were really talking about nature either; it was more just an excuse for our group to go have picnics and things. Though I guess the teachers wouldn't need to know, if we did plant trees occasionally. I think my parents had figured it out though."

Waiting for Asami to find the lockers, Kyoko felt a little disappointed that Asami wasn't going to join a club. It'd seemed like a good way to make friends here, and Kyoko had been imagining it could be easier if Asami was there too. Kyoko also wondered what Asami's problem with a consistent schedule was. After a few moments of indecision, Kyoko decided she should ask. After all, they were friends.

"Uh, what did you mean 'too predictable?' You don't want a regular schedule?" she asked.

Kioku
2014-09-26, 10:45 AM
"Mmh," comes the affirmative sound from Asami. "I like keeping my options open, and it might get boring if I were doing the same thing all the time. That's not the main reason, though." She finds the locker she's looking for and puts the hakama in it, neatly folded. Now where's Hikari's? "I guess I don't really feel like I need one to socialize either, since that happens anyway. Only a month here and a quarter of the students are... anyway. That's not the main reason either." Asami has a somewhat annoyed look that transforms into disgust for a second, then moves on to disgruntled before becoming neutral. "No, I think the main reason is the stalkers. Avoiding the pervy ones, and giving the interesting ones a deserved and just challenge."

banthesun
2014-09-26, 11:08 AM
Stalkers! Asami's probably pretty enough, but at this school?

Kyoko had been thinking the other answers made enough sense, but she hadn't realised Asami had been having such problems with boys. The very thought was scary, though Asami was significantly taller than she was, and apparently went for a run every morning to stay fit. Still, Kyoko found it worrying. She fumbled for something to say for a while before finding her voice.

"That's horrible! You shouldn't have to- That really shouldn't- That's just really bad!" she stammered angrily.

Kioku
2014-09-26, 11:26 AM
Asami hears Kyoko just after she's managed to put the yukata in its place, and turns around to her, blinking. She lets her shoulders drop with a soft smile, and puts down the remaining bundle in her arms temporarily to pull Kyoko into a hug. "I shouldn't have to, but I do. It can't be helped, but after the last two years, I'm used to it. Don't worry though; I know how to deal with them."

banthesun
2014-09-26, 11:50 AM
Kyoko was surprised by the hug, this time not so much by the physical contact, but that it was Asami hugging her. Kyoko felt like she should be comforting Asami, not the other way round, and raised her right arm to hug her back. She couldn't find the right words of support, but after Asami released her, Kyoko gave a faint smile of concern. Kyoko wasn't going to let her reaction bother Asami. After composing herself, Kyoko gingerly tried to change the topic.

"Do you still want to get food?"

Kioku
2014-09-26, 12:04 PM
Hoping she's drained away most of the anger, Asami scoops up her bundle and nods. 'Still? Nothing's changed from before... "Yes, I'd rather like that." She makes a mental note of Kyoko yet again primarily or only using her right arm and hand for something, but decides it's not the right time or place to point it out. "So, have you actually gone inside this interesting noodle place? I'm curious to what makes it interesting, how it stands out..." She moves to the door and bumps it open with a hip while speaking, right after putting the coat in its locker.

banthesun
2014-09-26, 11:59 PM
"Well, I haven't actually been in yet, but it looked like it had an unusual theme. It might be fun," Kyoko said with a shrug, making sure not to get Asami's expectations too high.

-----
One short walk later...
-----

"Ah, this is the one! See what I mean?"

The noodle shop in question was an open-fronted restaurant in an old building squeezed between two newer stores. Large, brightly coloured wall sculptures covered every available surface except for the kitchen at the back, and the front counter was stylised as a van selling food. Even the tables were patterned with artwork, with the focus apparently being on what was visually exciting, rather than any consistent theme. Kyoko gestured that it was just the two of them, and they were lead to a small table near the back of the restaurant

If you wanted something to happen/to have conversations of the way over, just let me know and I'll edit my post.

Kioku
2014-09-27, 12:24 AM
Kami, I'm going to get the worst headache if I stay around here. Tamamo, block out and dim as much as you can. But of course, Beloved. I'll notice if anything happens beyond the blinders. Asami looks around the place, grimacing at the brightness and artwork. "It's certainly... different. I can see how one would notice it while passing by." I hope the food is better than the color scheme.

banthesun
2014-09-27, 12:45 AM
Kyoko didn't think much of Asami's hesitation, passing it off simply as awkwardness at going to an unfamiliar restaurant. A waiter in a yellow apron brought them a pair of menus, and Kyoko opened hers up to take a look.

Wow, they've certainly got quite a range of stuff here, I don't even know what some of these are! I might just check the specials...

Even some of the specials seemed particularly 'special', but Kyoko quickly spotted something she was interested in.

"Oh, Nagasaki Chanpon! I haven't gotten to try that since moving here!"

Kioku
2014-09-27, 01:11 AM
This is a lot more formal than the appearance or type would suggest. Interesting indeed... "Chanpon? I've never tried that either, but I suppose if it's even named for the region..." Asami starts looking through the menu as well as she can with all of the background 'noise' and movement, looking for something reasonably simple, but that she wouldn't be able to make herself. "Mmh, I think I'll try that too."

banthesun
2014-09-27, 07:22 AM
"Excellent!"

Kyoko waved over a waiter and placed the order, leaving the pair in that awkward period of making small talk while waiting for food to arrive. Kyoko kept turning in her seat, trying to examine the various decorations in the restaurant.

"I hope the food doesn't take to long. This is a pretty interesting place though, don't you think?"

Kioku
2014-09-27, 07:50 AM
"That's a word for it," Asami confirms, leaning back in her seat and closing her eyes for a short while. "What do you think you'll end up doing about all the club pressure?"

banthesun
2014-09-27, 08:05 AM
Kyoko tilted her head and thought about Asami's question for a few second before answering.

"Hmmm. I guess I don't have to choose a club if I really don't want to, but my parents don't really know what to think of the whole 'social experiment' thing we've got going on at the dorms. From what they read on the note, they think it sounds a bit like a bludge, and I have no idea what I could tell them about this stuff. Kyoko didn't even know what to think of it herself, so she just let out a sigh. "I think the twins impressed them though, so at least there's that. I could just join the sewing club, or if I did start a nature club they might be impressed with me taking control like that. She shrugged. "It'd just be easier if I had a few friends in a club I could join, you know?"

Kioku
2014-09-27, 08:46 AM
"Well, it wouldn't make that great of an experiment if we knew what the goals were, but you could probably tell them it involves the psychology of repressed thoughts, introspection, and self acceptance, all of which are useful skills in improving both understanding of our own motives and setting goals." Asami opens one eye - or both, you can't really be sure with the hair there - and offers a small smirk. "Every word of that is true, after all. I know that when Tam first came to me, I had to look deep within and accept some things that I'd rather not have even known I felt."

She leans forward a little and stretches. "Of course on a lighter note, you could just ask around the dorm to see what everyone else is doing club-wise. I wouldn't be surprised at all if *someone* were already in a club you'd be interested in."

banthesun
2014-09-27, 09:08 AM
"Thanks for the advice," Kyoko said with a light smile, "but I'm not really sure how much of that stuff I can really say I understand. Mimi has always felt like it's protecting me, even if I'm not sure what it really is. I don't even know why it's related to me, actually."

Kyoko shrugged off her confusion and continued "Asking around is probably a good idea. I'm not really sure who'd be a good option though. Alice and Miyuki don't seem like they'd join a club if they don't have to, Tsubaki's probably in some full-on karate club, and I wouldn't be surprised if Lenora was on the student council or something! Maybe I'll ask Callum, since I don't really know Brianna or Soga that well yet..."

Kioku
2014-09-27, 09:36 AM
Asami goes ashen-faced, but quickly averts her eyes and schools her expression. She doesn't know why Mimi... does that mean... "T-Tsubaki isn't in a club this year, b-but she was captain of naginatajutsu last year, I think. You should talk to Alice about it anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up doing something with the library, and that could be fun."

banthesun
2014-09-27, 10:19 AM
Kyoko couldn't help but wonder what it was she'd said that seemed to bother Asami, but she didn't want to linger on it. The whole persona buisness was troubling enough as it was.

"I think I will ask around, it's not like it can hurt. Though Alice does say some weird things sometimes- oh, food!"

As Kyoko was talking, the waiter from before swang by the table, depositing two bowls of noodles in front of the girls. Kyoko nodded thanks to the waiter, and broke her chopsticks.

"Itadakimasu!"

The soup definitely smelled rich, and Kyoko took a scoop of noodles from the bowl.

"Ooh, hot!"

It had only been a bit too hot for her, but Kyoko definitely felt embarrased for taking her food too soon.

Kioku
2014-09-27, 10:26 AM
Asami tries to bring her smile back, but only partially succeeds at a fake one. "Right... you remember what I said before though, everyone's a little bit weird in their way - it's not a bad thing!" Seeing Kyoko's attempt to burn herself warns Asami to wait a little longer, during which time she considers what Kyoko - and everyone else so far - has said. "I wonder why they don't spell things out more clearly for everyone right away... the differing experiences must justify that..."

banthesun
2014-09-27, 10:58 AM
Kyoko nodded at Asami's comment, she definitely didn't want to be mean or rude to anyone, but she still had a hard time accepting some of the other persona users acted sometiems.

Well, it definitely makes them more interesting at least. Still, it's a bit hard to settle in after moving," she admitted. "It just feels like it makes it harder to make friends with them, if you know what I mean?"

After giving her meal a bit of time to cool, Kyoko tried it again. It's flavour was strong and meaty, but Kyoko thought it was tasty enough. She probably wouldn't be able to finish the whole thing though. Looking up, she realised she'd missed whatever it was Asami had muttered.

"Hmm?"

Kioku
2014-09-27, 11:03 AM
"Sorry, it was..." Asami looks around, wincing a couple of times while examining the surroundings. She leans forward to whisper across the table. "Not here. We can talk about it later, at the dorm or something." With one more glance, she starts eating as well. "I'll admit though, I've been feeling it makes it easier to befriend them. It gives a common ground to start from, even if it's not something to talk much about."

banthesun
2014-09-27, 11:35 AM
"Oh, sorry," Kyoko wispered back. She felt silly for talking about personas to Asami in the first place. In her opinion, the less persona related their relationship was, the better.

"I guess I didn't really think of it like that... Hey, we should work out some common ground we can talk about! Uh, not that I'm really sure where to start," she finished lamely

Kioku
2014-09-27, 11:46 AM
"Well, there's sewing, the fact that we live in the same place with the same people, school, we're both new to the area. If none of that works out, I can always go back to teasing you about being cute even though you want to deny it, like last week when Miyuki got that unmarked package from her brother." Asami looks to be on the verge of giggling as her smile finally comes back for real, glad to be on to safer topics for the moment. "Hey, we're even eating the same food. There's something if all else fails, even if it would be extremely short lived."

banthesun
2014-09-28, 01:28 AM
Kyoko nodded along with Asami's suggestions, up until Asami started teasing her again. She covered her face with her hand, but her grin was still visible underneath.

"I was thinking of 'getting to know each other' stuff, but those are fine too," Kyoko laughed, and pondered what to talk about next. "Oh, what kind of clothes do you think I'd be able to make while I'm still learning?" she asked.

Kioku
2014-09-28, 02:42 AM
"What, you don't think any of those would naturally lead to getting to know each other?" Asami does giggle a little at the hide-behind-hand maneuver and eats a bit more while considering the question. "Honestly, there's quite a lot you could probably manage with the right pattern. I'd stay away from anything too fancy, or using expensive cloth. Things with interior pockets are a bit of trouble if you're not used to them, though there's nothing easier than patch pockets. I guess I'd say try something that's a single layer of material, and... well... simple. I know medieval European style tunics are really easy to make, since my mother has a liking for them, but I doubt you'd want something like that. Most gi are pretty simple, but I don't know if you'd have a use for one. I suppose if you wanted to, you could skip to something a little harder and make a yukata, I'd help with that. Summer's coming up pretty fast, and I suspect it gets nearly as hot here as I'm used to."

banthesun
2014-09-28, 03:15 AM
Kyoko paid close attention to Asami's advice. A dress with patch pockets could be nice, she'd seen some cute designs using them recently, though they did seem a bit childish. Asami was right in guessing she wouldn't be interested in making a tunic or a gi. She worried she might have to make one for practice, but...

"Ooh! A new yukata would be nice!" She had one that was a few years old, but it was quickly getting too small for her. Having a project like that would definitely make her more excited for the coming summer. "I should be thinking about summer now anyway... Hey, how's Okinawa? I've never been there."

Kioku
2014-09-28, 03:41 AM
"Where I lived at least, it was a lot like it's been here, but a little more humid. Almost always warm, about the same amount of rainfall." Asami gets a wistful look. "I suppose it's alright there, but I don't think I'll stay once I'm able to go live somewhere else. I'd really like to see snow one day..." Part of her face twitches as if remembering something related and she snaps back to the present, trying to shake it off. "You know, if you don't have plans during our summer break in a few months, you could change that bit about never being there."

banthesun
2014-09-28, 04:12 AM
"You haven't seen snow? Ah, sorry, that would make sense. I wonder if I'll start to miss snow while I'm living here..."

Asami's invitation flew right over Kyoko's head, and she continued, Ah, I'm sure it would be fun to visit in the summer! But it'd be weird to go on holiday right after moving here though, and I've never been on a holiday by myself either..."

Kioku
2014-09-28, 04:33 AM
Asami starts to open her mouth, closes it, and rests her head against her hand, laughing softly. "My brother's wedding, Kyoko? He said to invite friends?"

banthesun
2014-09-28, 04:42 AM
Kyoko was momentarily stunned. This definitely seemed like a big deal to her.

"Oh! Ah! I wouldn't want to intrude! I, uh- Don't feel like you have to invite me or anything!" Kyoko blabbered, clearly flustered.

Kioku
2014-09-28, 04:51 AM
Asami puts on an enormous exaggerated pout. "Intrude? You mean you're not my friend?" She stares with wide eyes, trying to play up 'miscommunication sadness,' but it's pretty clear that she knows that's not what Kyoko meant. She holds the expression for several seconds before very, very suddenly she winks and grins, giggling. "Don't worry, we have plenty of room if you'd like to come, even if you don't attend the wedding itself. Actually I don't expect almost anyone who comes to attend that, and that's probably how it should be. Really this is just an opportunity to go to the beach with some friends and have a place to stay for however long we're there."

banthesun
2014-09-28, 05:40 AM
Still flustered, Kyoko didn't realise that Asami was playing with her.

"No! No! I mean- I didn't- Huh?"

When she recognised what the wink meant she laughed with relief. Asami was playing down its significance, but Kyoko still felt her invitation was a big deal.

"A-Asami..." Kyoko was at a bit of a loss for words. She looked directly at Asami eyes wide. "Um, I'd have to ask my parents, but, uh, I'd love to come."

Kioku
2014-09-28, 06:00 AM
Asami makes an excited wiggle and tiny cheering motion before going back to eating. "I'm glad! I hope that you can, it'll be fun even if it's just everyday summer break things. I don't think we'd be out there for more than a week at most, if that helps."

banthesun
2014-09-28, 06:14 AM
"That sounds... really nice."

Kyoko returned to her meal too. Occasionally, she'd glance up at Asami and shoot her a shy smile. That girl was just too nice, and Kyoko was happy to have found someone here she could really consider a friend.