PDA

View Full Version : Alternate form and legendary animals

Eslin
2014-09-23, 10:17 PM
Is there any reason something with alternate form (say a dragonwrought kobold with the alternate form feat or steel dragon) wouldn't be able to turn into a legendary ape/wolf/eagle? I can't find anything specifying HD limits everywhere, it looks like I'd be able to turn into a 13HD creature with 30 strength regardless of level.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-24, 01:24 AM
Alternate Form doesn't change your HD. Aside from that i see no reason why you can't.

torrasque666
2014-09-24, 01:30 AM
You'd get access to Legendary Eagle, Ape, or Wolf as the other ones are all too big for Alternate Form.

Eslin
2014-09-24, 04:56 AM
I did specify ape, wolf and eagle in my first post. So that's a yes, awesome - new question, what if I cast alter self? Do I alter myself into a dragon (base form) or an animal (new form), and either way do I keep my new stats?

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-09-24, 05:46 AM
I did specify ape, wolf and eagle in my first post. So that's a yes, awesome - knew question, what if I cast alter self? Do I alter myself into a dragon (base form) or an animal (new form), and either way do I keep my new stats?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm

Alter Self does not change your ability scores, you keep your original stats.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-09-24, 05:47 AM
Is there any reason something with alternate form (say a dragonwrought kobold with the alternate form feat or steel dragon) wouldn't be able to turn into a legendary ape/wolf/eagle? I can't find anything specifying HD limits everywhere, it looks like I'd be able to turn into a 13HD creature with 30 strength regardless of level.

No, you cannot become a legendary animal.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm

"A creature cannot use alternate form to take the form of a creature with a template."

Necroticplague
2014-09-24, 05:59 AM
No, you cannot become a legendary animal.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm

"A creature cannot use alternate form to take the form of a creature with a template."

To my knowledge, Legendary isn't actually a template. Its in the same space as Dire, which, while being a prefix to indicate a more powerful version, isn't actually a template.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-24, 06:53 AM
I did specify ape, wolf and eagle in my first post. So that's a yes, awesome - knew question, what if I cast alter self? Do I alter myself into a dragon (base form) or an animal (new form), and either way do I keep my new stats?

You can only use Alter Self to take the form of a creature of the same type as you. You also don't gain stats and the form is limited by your CL with a maximum of 5HD.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-24, 08:31 AM
To my knowledge, Legendary isn't actually a template. Its in the same space as Dire, which, while being a prefix to indicate a more powerful version, isn't actually a template.

Yup. Shows up as its own set of entries in MM2; there is the Monster of Legend template at the back of the book, but it's wholly different (gives a pile of (Su) abilities).

Eslin
2014-09-24, 08:49 AM
You can only use Alter Self to take the form of a creature of the same type as you. You also don't gain stats and the form is limited by your CL with a maximum of 5HD.

Ok, maybe I didn't explain it properly. Alternate form your way into, say, a legendary wolf and then cast alter self - do you alter yourself into a dragon or an animal, and either way do you keep the stats from alternate forming into a legendary wolf?

torrasque666
2014-09-24, 09:00 AM
You retain your type and subtypes when using Alt. Form. So you could Alter Self into a Dragon with a max of 5 HD, and alter self says that "You retain your own ability scores." so you'd be working off of the stats at the time, in this case whatever animal you were.

Eslin
2014-09-24, 09:16 AM
Sweet. So I can alternate form into a legendary wolf and then alter self into a dracotaur or portal drake!