PDA

View Full Version : All spells are useful at some point, right?

Dhavaer
2007-03-13, 04:05 AM
Thanatos
Necromancy [Death]
Level: Brd 0, Clr 0, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Casting Time: Immediate Action
Range: Personal
Duration: Instantaneous

You die.

tis_tom
2007-03-13, 04:16 AM
Isn't that a bit redundant, as you could just club yourself over the head with no training what so ever?

Dhavaer
2007-03-13, 04:26 AM
That would require an action, a free arm and a club. This lets you die if you happen to be restrained or similar. Best used in conjuction with a Clone spell.

Miles Invictus
2007-03-13, 04:33 AM
Suicide spell for spies. You can make it a cheap, one-use item.

The best poison ever -- no save, no SR, and because it's a spell, Detect Poison won't find it.

Eldest Son (http://www.flyarmy.org/panel/battle/70022300.HTM)-style operations. Craft wands, give them a nice label like "Fireball" or "Cure Serious Wounds", and insert them into an enemy's supply line.

So...yeah. Useful.

Maglor_Grubb
2007-03-13, 04:38 AM
But a bit to much effect for a 0-level spell, no? Make it 3rd level minimum. After all, brewing a potion from this is an insta-death potion, and it doesn't make sense to cost as much energy to give 1 temporary hp as to completely kill yourself.

Caduceus
2007-03-13, 07:12 AM
I love it! I've got a friend with the last name Thanatos. Calls himself Syth as a Grim Reaper joke.

Anyway, yeah, I agree that it's too low of a level. Bump it up to 3rd.

sigurd
2007-03-13, 08:05 AM
You have to be careful with level and save for this. Its screams "Put me in a cursed item!!!".

Sigurd

Orzel
2007-03-13, 09:04 AM
A Fighter and a wizard cohort could intimidate anyone into drinking potions of this.

Drink it now! (roll a 30 on Intimidate check)

Caduceus
2007-03-13, 09:29 AM
Perhaps it has a Will save. If the target is willing, then they bypass the save. Or you could just note that it can't be used in magic items other than scrolls and wands (though, why would you want to cast the spell fifty times?).

Druid
2007-03-13, 09:36 AM
Perhaps it has a Will save. If the target is willing, then they bypass the save. Or you could just note that it can't be used in magic items other than scrolls and wands (though, why would you want to cast the spell fifty times?).

Maybe if you're some kind of super cat with the strength of 6 ordinary cats. think of all the commoners it could kill.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-13, 12:06 PM
What about Power Word: Suicide?

Although is there not some sort of item or spell or something that makes all spells that affect you affect someone else too?

Caduceus
2007-03-13, 12:12 PM
Let me put the results of the spell into SI.

Thanatos has the capability to kill one catgirl, and only if she is the one to cast it. It is a suicide spell.

I also realized two things.

1. This can be a really good way to travel. You want to get somewhere quick and cheap? Just mail your clone to the intended location, and when it gets there, cast thanatos to die and wake up in your cloned body. Sure you lose your equipment, but if you send that stuff with your clone, you're good to go.

2. Magic missile. I believe there was discussion here a while back on whether a wizard could cast it on himself and if that would be an insta-kill in that case. Like holding your palm to your temple and blasting your brains out with magical force.

Jibar
2007-03-13, 12:36 PM
Like holding your palm to your temple and blasting your brains out with magical force.

Congratulations, you just conjured up the greatest mental image ever.

Krellen
2007-03-13, 01:24 PM
The range should read "Personal". Then it can stay 0th level, because it cannot be placed into a potion or wand. I'm not even sure it can go into a wondrous item, but I might be mistaken about that.

Dhavaer
2007-03-13, 03:02 PM
The range should read "Personal". Then it can stay 0th level, because it cannot be placed into a potion or wand. I'm not even sure it can go into a wondrous item, but I might be mistaken about that.

Thanks, I wasn't sure whether the right word was Personal or Self.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-03-13, 03:27 PM
Congratulations, you just conjured up the greatest mental image ever.Yeah, it's fun. I've got a Warlock in Ravenloft in a PbP right now. Should imminent death become apparent, the top of his "Things to do" list becomes a self coup de grace with an Eldritch Blast -- can't be letting your husk of a corpse join the undead hordes, after all. I almost hope it comes up just so I can horrify the rest of the group.

Oh, and a Verbal component wouldn't be a bad addition to this.

InaVegt
2007-03-13, 03:33 PM
Reminds me of the painless death spell, from ghostwalk (1st level death effect spell, willing targets only)

Maglor_Grubb
2007-03-13, 03:52 PM
Maybe make it so the target of the spell gains the ability to die as an immidiate action for an hour/level?

ASCIISkull
2007-03-13, 05:32 PM
Reminds me of the painless death spell, from ghostwalk (1st level death effect spell, willing targets only)

Since sleeping targets are counted as willing, that seems a bit dangerous.

Douglas
2007-03-13, 05:39 PM
No more dangerous than a coup de grace, which will probably have a much higher save DC.

Jack Mann
2007-03-13, 05:41 PM
Eh, it's just a magical coup de grace. You could get the same effect from a scythe.

Fizban
2007-03-13, 07:40 PM
Dang, beat to the punch on the ghostwalk reference.

I feel it should be pointed out that coming back with a clone spell costs you a level, just like any other rez besides True Ressurection.

Macrovore
2007-03-13, 10:42 PM
and revivify. you musn't forget one of the best spells in the game.

but as to the spell, definitely bump the level up to at least 1 or 2.

Neek
2007-03-13, 11:03 PM
If you want to balance it out, have the requirements be 100% constitution from the caster. This would imply any attempt to create a magical item would cost the life of the caster. Or simply have it Personal, too.

Either way, this is the cyanide pill of Arcane magic.

Jack Mann
2007-03-13, 11:05 PM
I'd also recommend putting it on the assassin list as a first level spell.

Collin152
2007-03-13, 11:57 PM
Heh, I like it, Clone spell would definatly be handy... there are after all, fate's worse then death.
Maybe a higher level one that kills you and whoever your touching that fails a save (but if somehow you don't die, they don't either!) Okay, maybe I've been writing too much and keep wanting that "Mutual Destruction: Suicide" kind of thing.

Good spell, though, good spell.