PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Trying to understand this

Castiron
2014-09-24, 01:48 AM
what im trying ot figure out is starting skills for a Halfling with the half-Celestial template.

the formula for skill points is

(8+INT)x(HD+3)

since this half celestial is added via a template my understanding is there are no racial HD. thus the formula for Skill points (from my understanding should be. (the Halfling has a 18 INT)

(8+4)x(0+3), and that equals (8+4 =12)x(0+3=3) for a final of (12)x(3) =36

so the Halfling would have 36 Skill Points to spend on racial skills. how do I figure out what the racial skills are for a half-Celestial Halfling ?

Jeff the Green
2014-09-24, 02:05 AM
Wrong forum.

However, to your question, the outsider features (d8 hit die, all good saves, full BAB, and 8+Int skills) only apply to racial HD. And once you give a halfling a class level, it has no racial HD. You base your skill points only on your class levels.

Mastikator
2014-09-24, 02:25 AM
Think of racial hit dice as class levels. When you have 1 the class replaces the racial hit dice, otherwise it's like penaltyless multiclassing.

Castiron
2014-09-24, 02:51 AM
ok sadly that just doesn't help me.
so screw the disappointment , no templates ever of any kind.

its just to confusing.

it comes off to me as you add this n that except when you don't. or
to find the value of A you must first find that value of B to find the value of B you must first find the value of A.

Mastikator
2014-09-24, 03:48 AM
A halfling is a humanoid, so that's 2.

Adding a half-celestial template to that changes it to an outsider, making it 8. Whatever it was previously doesn't matter.

The skill points is 4x(8+INT mod) at level 1, and 8+INT mod every level thereafter.

Assuming 18 int, at 1 hitdice it's 48 skill points, at 2 hitdice it's 60 skill points, at 3 hitdice it's 72. And so on.

For simplicity, just pick 12 skills and set them to rank hit dice + 3. (4 at 1 hit dice, 10 at 7 hit dice)

Castiron
2014-09-24, 04:35 AM
im trying ot read up on SS now to see if that will clear it up for me, ..maybe I can figure it out with SS & the DMG

Zombimode
2014-09-24, 05:20 AM
im trying ot read up on SS now to see if that will clear it up for me, ..maybe I can figure it out with SS & the DMG

What, exactly, is unlcear to you?

Khedrac
2014-09-24, 06:52 AM
OK - first up you really want to ask for this to be moved to the 3/3.5 forum.

Secondly Savage Species is 3.0 not 3.5 so not all of it may be applicable.

Third - as other posters have said, the template will not affect the skills of a Halfling as there are no racial hit dice - all are class levels and templates do not affect them (well undead changes the actual hit die but nothing else). So the skill points will depend on the chosen classes.
Also if you are looking at the Level Adjustment - they are not levels, that is just a number added to your actual level to work out how tough you are supposed to be for experience purposes.

icefractal
2014-09-24, 07:38 PM
That formula for skill points is assuming you have at least one level. Which, since you can't play a character with no levels, is generally a reasonable assumption. But you don't get any skill points off zero racial HD.

nedz
2014-09-24, 09:18 PM
what im trying ot figure out is starting skills for a Halfling with the half-Celestial template.

(8+INT)x(HD+3)

since this half celestial is added via a template my understanding is there are no racial HD. thus the formula for Skill points (from my understanding should be. (the Halfling has a 18 INT)

(8+4)x(0+3), and that equals (8+4 =12)x(0+3=3) for a final of (12)x(3) =36

so the Halfling would have 36 Skill Points to spend on racial skills. how do I figure out what the racial skills are for a half-Celestial Halfling ?
Wrong !
(8+INT)x(Racial HD+3)
If you were making a Half Celestial Gnoll then you would have 2 RHD and thus (8+INT)x(2+3) skill points, since your first two levels would be in Gnoll.

Racial Hit Dice: A gnoll begins with two levels of humanoid
However since you are applying this template to a Halfling, which has 0 RHD because you start with a class level, this formulae is irrelevant.