PDA

View Full Version : Armor of Agathys

person29
2014-09-24, 08:00 AM
We came across this question when playing last night.

A warlock (level 1 for this example) casts Armor of Agathys. He now has 5 temp hp.

He is hit with an attack dealing 3 damage (now has 2 temp hp) and deals 5 back to the creature due to AoA.

The creature attacks again dealing 1 damage (taking another 5) and that creature dies...

Can the warlock now gain the new temp hp from dropping a creature to 0 and AoA is still active and doing damage if he takes damage again?

Or, if he accepts the new temp hp (replacing the 1 leftover from AoA) he loses AoA.

Or, he can accept new temp hp and AoA remains active for 1 "charge" due to having 1 temp hp "leftover" from AoA. The new temp hp total would still be what he gains from killing a creature, not killing + AoA, but since AoA was still active with 1 temp hp the next 1 damage he takes AoA activates (assuming melee attack)

That is possibly confusing, so I will clarify any questions you may have.

Thanks in advance!

SliceandDiceKid
2014-09-24, 08:13 AM
The spell entry states "...if you still have these points..."

PHB pg205 talks about durations of spells.

The greater spell effect is the primary, but the lesser does not go away. So until the greater temp HP is removed, you still have the 1 underneath. The armor of agathys spell still grants the "spike damage" according to the description, because you retain temporary HP granted by the spell.

When you lose the temporary HP from the kill, your 1 leftover goes away as well. But woot!

Seems really cool to be able to put something up, then struggle to maintain this extra power and drain life force from your enemies to maintain the ability.

I had not thought of this combo.

Rilak
2014-09-24, 08:55 AM
p.198 has the rules on temp HP. You choose to either gain the new ones or keep the old ones. You cannot keep both, but you do have a choice.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-09-24, 09:02 AM
p.198 has the rules on temp HP. You choose to either gain the new ones or keep the old ones. You cannot keep both, but you do have a choice.

Dang. Overlooked that. I'd still house rule for AoA.

Rilak
2014-09-24, 09:05 AM
Dang. Overlooked that. I'd still house rule for AoA.

If you do, I suggest keeping track of the AoA HP and temp. HP, and subtract from both when you get hit.
So in the example, if the player had AoA:1 HP and gained 5 temp. HP, then got hit for 2 dmg... The player is left with 3 temp. HP, no AoA, and the creature takes 5 damage.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-09-24, 09:49 AM
I would keep track of the AoA, but I'd leave it at the bottom of the THP, not skim it off the top like diesel.

It would definitely make it more powerful, but there's nothing wrong with that, IMO. I'm of the philosophy that if a player gets a little too powerful, it's the DM's job to provide greater challenges or put the player in their place.

Note:I'm usually DMing.

Aramis Rhett
2014-09-24, 12:35 PM
This is a case where house rules will be the deciding factor unless the DM is a strict RAW Nazi. If you elect to take the HP from killing a creature, you lose AoA. You DO however have the option to refuse the HP you would have gained, thus keeping AoA until it was fully expended. It still provides some cushion for players with a Nazi DM (I've had one UBER NAZI DM, and if I found a way around a rule, he just said "way to exploit the system" but would allow it since it was RAW)

Feldarove
2014-09-24, 05:22 PM
Said Warlock in Person29's game

As a whiny "gimme gimme" type of player...I would tend to agree with Sliceanddicekid , because that makes the spell most powerful.

As a DM I would go with the lower form of the House Rule, where the AoA temp HP go away first.

As a member of the giantitp forums, I would say that RAW is probably the best bet. Letting the player take the option of receive new temp HP or keep the old ones to do more damage. This allows for fun mechanic/roleplaying opportunities. Are you more concerned about living or doing damage to others? It is a first level spell. (Granted Warlock auto-bumps it up).

Another possible rule is, you can have your new temp Hit Points refresh the spell's HP, but not exceed AoA temp HP amount. Powerful, yes, but an option.

emeraldstreak
2014-09-24, 05:56 PM
Abjurer wizard can protect the Armor of Agathys (with Eldritch Invocation:Armor of Shadows below 14th lvl if need be).

badintel
2014-09-28, 06:37 PM
Can the warlock now gain the new temp hp from dropping a creature to 0

I just started playing a Warlock, so likely don't understand how Armor of Agathys works. But when I read the spell description I didn't notice anything about regaining hitpoints as part of the spell

My understanding is that you get 5 temp HP. You deal 5 cold damage as long as those 5 temp HP exist...but once they are gone they are gone and the spell is no longer functional...did I overlook something?

Bakakiba
2014-09-28, 07:18 PM
I just started playing a Warlock, so likely don't understand how Armor of Agathys works. But when I read the spell description I didn't notice anything about regaining hitpoints as part of the spell

My understanding is that you get 5 temp HP. You deal 5 cold damage as long as those 5 temp HP exist...but once they are gone they are gone and the spell is no longer functional...did I overlook something?

The fiend pact's Dark Ones' Blessing.

badintel
2014-09-29, 07:43 AM
The fiend pact's Dark Ones' Blessing.

Ahhh! Thanks for the info, I had been looking at taking the Great Old One as my pact patron and hadn't studied the others. Appreciate the clarification :smallsmile: