PDA

View Full Version : Autumn begins

Greenish
2014-09-24, 09:17 AM
So it says in my calendar. I've got a cool A Song of Ice and Fire calendar, mostly for illustrations, but it's aimed at anglophile (and, I think specifically US) audience, so it has all kinds of wacky things to amuse me (sunday is apparently the first day of the week, and there's something called "The President's Day").

But for today, it stated simply "Autumn begins". How can a calendar know that?

(Well, of course it can't. All the migratory birds are long gone, trees have been red and yellow for a while, and first snow fell last night.)

Asta Kask
2014-09-24, 09:24 AM
Your calendar is wrong. Autumn began on Monday. Seriously - Sunday was sunny summer weather, Monday someone had pushed the "Autumn" button.

Serpentine
2014-09-24, 09:30 AM
Silly. It's spring, and that started nearly a month ago.

Solse
2014-09-24, 04:20 PM
If you live in the southern hemisphere, that is. As a proud 'murican myself, I am quite pleased to say that I'm glad that autumn is here. I think that it feels crisp yet refreshing, and there's something about the orange and red atmosphere surrounding autumn that invigorates me while soothing me. The one downside is that school's back. :smallfrown:

Zea mays
2014-09-24, 05:50 PM
In American calendars, all seasons last exactly 3 months and begin (nearly) on the same date every year: the equinoxes and solstices. Astronomy >>> meteorology. At least when it comes to setting dates.
:smallwink:

Also, President's Day is... wacky? Sadly it's just a government holiday and does not involve dressing up like Millard Fillmore or Grover Cleveland.

Aedilred
2014-09-24, 05:55 PM
Also, President's Day is... wacky? Sadly it's just a government holiday and does not involve dressing up like Millard Fillmore or Grover Cleveland.
Have you read Anansi Boys? :smallwink:

Zea mays
2014-09-24, 06:24 PM
I have, but it was quite a few years ago. Prolly need to read it again soon.

Scarlet Knight
2014-09-25, 10:26 AM
Everyone knows Autumn begins the day after Labor Day; it contains September , October, & November. Winter starts December 1st, Earth's orbit be hanged!

EmeraldRose
2014-09-25, 10:39 AM
Our weather is pretty much the same as it's been a good bit of the "summer", and my roses are putting new buds up. So...whatever. I do like Fall though, it's nice to be able to have the windows open around the house, no A/C, and to be able to comfortable wearing sweaters, etc.

Also...soon. Soon the bugs will DIE!