PDA

View Full Version : Wizards doing clericy/druidy stuph

Dalebert
2014-09-24, 10:03 AM
In another thread, someone said wizards can get access to just about any cleric and druid spells. Aside from the obvious, like Wish, what else is there? I'm guessing Shapechange but again, 9th level, and also I know there's an ongoing debate about whether spellcasting falls under that so I'm curious if there is anything that's not dreadfully costly in xp or gold and that might be available at earlier levels than 17.

EDIT: I'm also aware of Limited Wish and it's abilities, but I admit that covers a lot. I'm thinking of loopholes like summoning something to cast a spell for you that is perhaps available at earlier levels or making magic items. Pathfinder allows a little more in that area so include that if you like.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-24, 10:18 AM
Are you sure you have that the right way around? It's a lot easier to get more spells as a divine caster, with things like (Greater) Anyspell, Sword of the Arcane Order, Divine Magician and the fact that Miracle provides all spells of 7th level and below (and cleric spells of 8th and below) for no experience cost and is available for pretty much any divine caster for a 1 level dip into Contemplative (though arcanes can get it too with a little more investment).

That said, any caster can get pretty much any spell onto their spell list, with varying levels of effort (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2777).

Uncle Pine
2014-09-24, 11:09 AM
A Wizard with Wyrm Wizard levels or Recaster levels can add spells from any list to his spellbook (using either Spell Research or Expanded Knowledge). The party Wizard can locate and pay said Wizard to learn a new spell, even if the spell isn't from the sor/wiz list. Repeat until the party Wizard learned all the spells he need.

Relevant wording:

Spells Copied from Another’s Spellbook or a Scroll
A wizard can also add a spell to her book whenever she encounters one on a magic scroll or in another wizard’s spellbook.

Or you if you're only interested in cleric's spells you can take 10 levels in the Rainbow Servant PrC. It's a great class for any non-evil, non-chaotic Wizard.

dextercorvia
2014-09-24, 11:17 AM
Technically this requires DM approval, but if your DM treats the spellpool feature of MotAO as a giant bank that dispenses the spells that were cast into it, then you can make the argument for Cleric spells being in the Spellpool. This is based on the idea that Rainbow Warsnake into MotAO is not a bad setup at all, so it is possible that you have a bunch of Warsnakes paying off their spelldebt with Cleric spells prepared with Arcane preparation.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-24, 11:37 AM
Technically this requires DM approval, but if your DM treats the spellpool feature of MotAO as a giant bank that dispenses the spells that were cast into it, then you can make the argument for Cleric spells being in the Spellpool. This is based on the idea that Rainbow Warsnake into MotAO is not a bad setup at all, so it is possible that you have a bunch of Warsnakes paying off their spelldebt with Cleric spells prepared with Arcane preparation.

The description is pretty clear that you can only get wizard/sorcerer spells. Anything else is a houserule.

dextercorvia
2014-09-24, 11:52 AM
The description is pretty clear that you can only get wizard/sorcerer spells. Anything else is a houserule.

Technically this requires DM approval...

I didn't say otherwise. Actually the only things you are explicitly allowed are Sorcerer/Wizard spells from the PHB. However, it also says "as well as any additional spells designated by the DM."

Since the OP stated that he was aware of abusing things like Shapechanging into a Zodar for free wishes, and others have brought up the numerous ways to get Miracle on your spell list, I was providing a way that it could happen in some games, and the reasoning that a DM might use to allow it.

Uncle Pine
2014-09-24, 12:43 PM

OP wanted to know a way for Wizards to get all the spells in existance. He didn't asked for a low optimized way to do something higly optimized. DM approval is only relevant when RAW is unclear or missing.

Zaq
2014-09-24, 01:01 PM
There's also Planar Binding and other Calling shenanigans to get creatures that can cast Cleric or Druid spells for you. Gate, of course, is the king of them all, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Planar Binding line alone can get you pretty far. (I've never delved deeply into it myself, so I don't know too many specifics.)

Then, of course, we get into Simulacrum, Ice Assassin, and all THOSE shenanigans.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-24, 01:29 PM
There's also Planar Binding and other Calling shenanigans to get creatures that can cast Cleric or Druid spells for you. Gate, of course, is the king of them all, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Planar Binding line alone can get you pretty far. (I've never delved deeply into it myself, so I don't know too many specifics.)

If you include conjuring other things to do your casting for you Summon Monster IX gets you the Couatl (Sorcerer 9), Ursinal (Wizard 12) and Firre Eladrin (Cleric 12).
For Planar Binding there's the Immoth (Sorcerer 12), Trumpet Archon (Cleric 14) and Lillend (Bard 6).
Greater Planar Binding adds the Elemental Weird (Sorcerer 18) and Planetar (Cleric 17).

Sian
2014-09-24, 01:44 PM
is Rainbow Servant to obvious?

nedz
2014-09-24, 01:45 PM
You can use Arcane Disciple to grab any Cleric spell which appears in a domain list. There are limitations: access is Wisdom based, and you can only use each spell 1/day. Scribe Scroll, etc., can be used to circumvent the latter restriction.

Sian
2014-09-24, 01:53 PM
and arcane diciple is one Domain only, so you'd have to take it so many times it unpractical for any real gain (short of Miracle and (Greater) anyspell)

Dalebert
2014-09-24, 01:59 PM
I'm very annoyed at the seeming inconsistency--Limited Wish lets you cast 5th or lower spells from any list. Wish only bumps that up to 6th while Miracle bumps it up to 7th which seems more consistent. And 6th falls just short of Greater Restoration which seems like it should be within the power of Wish. The material component even falls within the limits without having to add additional cost.

Zanos
2014-09-24, 03:04 PM
As someone else mentioned, planar binding and gate can get you servants with cleric spellcasting, and you can establish complete control over them in a variety of ways.

Ice Assassin will also give you a loyal minion of basically anything, but that's even cheesier.

nedz
2014-09-24, 04:59 PM
and arcane diciple is one Domain only, so you'd have to take it so many times it unpractical for any real gain (short of Miracle and (Greater) anyspell)

Well it depends what you want ?

The real limit with AD though is that you have to have a patron deity, and can only take domains from that deity.

Otherwise: Chameleon 2 for a floating feat, and then scribe yourself some scrolls.

dextercorvia
2014-09-24, 06:29 PM
How about Wizard/Rainbow Servant with enough UMD to use an item of Substitute domain to get access to any other domain spell (with few exceptions)?

nedz
2014-09-24, 06:48 PM
How about Wizard/Rainbow Servant with enough UMD to use an item of Substitute domain to get access to any other domain spell (with few exceptions)?

Actually that would be a cheesy trick with Arcane Disciple since Substitute Domain gives you the Granted Power, which Arcane Disciple doesn't.

Take Arcane Disciple (domain X)
UMD Substitute Domain for domain Y
UMD Substitute Domain again to go back to domain X, this time with the Granted power.
profit

RolandDeschain
2014-09-24, 07:56 PM
Actually that would be a cheesy trick with Arcane Disciple since Substitute Domain gives you the Granted Power, which Arcane Disciple doesn't.

Take Arcane Disciple (domain X)
UMD Substitute Domain for domain Y
UMD Substitute Domain again to go back to domain X, this time with the Granted power.
profit

LOL...this is filthy