Dementor
Medium Undead (Evil)
HD 5d10+10 (35 HP)
Speed 30 ft. (4 squares)
Init: +5
AC 18; touch 18; flat-footed 14
BAB +3; Grp +4
Attack Claw attack melee + 3 (1d6+1)
Full-Attack 2 Claw attacks melee + 3 (1d6+1)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Dementor's Kiss
Special Qualities: Despair, Damage Reduction 5/good, Hover, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Blindvision 60 ft.
Saves Fort +0 Ref +6 Will +3
Abilities Str 13, Dex 19, Con -, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 14
Skills
Feats Improved Grapple
Environment: Any
Challenge Rating: 6?
Alignment: Always neutral evil.

What you see before you is a tall, vaguely humanoid figure, covered in black ragged robes and a hood that conceals its face. It appears to be hovering off the ground. As its hand reaches out, you see it looks dead and rotting.

Dementors are among the foulest beings to roam the world. They thrive where there has been death, decay and despair. Prolonged exposure to a dementor deprives you of all happy memories, leaving you with nothing but despair. They stand 7-8 feet tall, and are always hovering between six and twelve inches off the ground.

Despair: Every round, any living being within 60ft. of a Dementor must make a will save (DC 10 + number of rounds in contact with dementor) or have despair overcome them. Everytime a will save fails, that character takes a -1 penalty on all attack rolls, skill checks and saves. These penalties accumulate to a maximum of -10. If the dementor flees or is destroyed, the penalty is removed, but everyone who suffered a penalty becomes sickened for 10d6 minutes, although the consumption of a small tasty treat such as chocolate or the like reduces this to fatigued.

Any bonuses to saves against fear, or immunity to fear, works against this effect.

Hover: A dementor is always floating between six and twelve inches from the ground, and can move across all terrain types (including rough, water or even lava) without incurring a movement penalty.

Blindvision: Dementors have no eyes, and are therefore blind. They see by sensing the emotions of living beings within 60ft. Concealment or effects like invisibility have no effect on a dementor.

Sensitivity to Light: Being a creature born of darkness, Dementors suffer a -4 penalty to all attack rolls, skill checks and saves when in direct sunlight. If subjected to any source of sudden bright light (as the Sunlight spell), the dementor must make a DC 18 will save or flee.

Dementor's Kiss: This is perhaps one of the worst things that can happen to anyone. On the round after a successful grapple check, the Dementor can lower its hood, revealing a lump of dead flesh with no eyes and a ragged hole. Its victim then makes a DC 14 will save to avoid being horrified by this sight. The two then make opposing strength checks. If the victim failed the will save, it gets -4 on this strength check. Reroll in the event of a tie. If the victim wins the check, he breaks free from the grapple and can make normal actions. If he loses, then the Dementor can clamp its jaw around his mouth, and suck out his soul.

A victim of the dementor's kiss has had his soul imprisoned on another plane. His body is still alive and perfectly functioning, but is in a comatose state, which remove curse, break enchantment, heal or restoration cannot do anything about. As the body is still alive, raise dead or true resurrection also has no effect. The only way to revive the victim is to destroy the dementor that sucked out his soul, then use a wish or miracle spell to place the soul back into the body. This journey is wrenching for anybody, and the character loses a level as if he had died (See page 171 of the PHB).

If the victim's body dies before the soul can be reclaimed, the soul is lost forever. 2d10 days after the body's death, a new dementor is brought into being at the site of the death.

Combat: A dementor fights the long battle, choosing to fight defensively while letting its despair effect drain its opponents of hope and joy, before deciding that its victim is weak enough to grapple to administer its kiss.

It's my first serious homebrew, and I have no serious idea if it's balanced or not. In terms of changing it, everything is up for changing to make it better.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-13, 08:51 AM
No Charisma damage?

Duke of URL
2007-03-13, 10:04 AM
Nicely done. What attribute drives the save DCs?

RMS Oceanic
2007-03-13, 10:08 AM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by drives the DC. Apart from the despair ability, all DCs have fixed numbers.

Wraithy
2007-03-13, 11:26 AM
hurray for dementors!

and chocolate

Fascisticide
2007-03-13, 12:02 PM
The formula for a save DC is 10 + 1/2 HD + stat mod
All saves are based on a stat of the monster. If that stat changes, or you advance the monster and give it more HD, the save DC changes.

I'd give a good charisma to the dementor. Maybe 15? And base the save on Cha. That would make a DC of 14

Macrovore
2007-03-13, 10:45 PM
and uncanny dodge isn't a feat. If you want them to have it, just give it to them as an ability, then give them ability focus (despair or kiss) as the feat.

EvilElitest
2007-03-14, 02:21 PM
Wonderfully done i must say.
Just two nitpicks.

1. Dementors don't always hover 6-12 inches above the ground acording to the books. In the movies yes, but in the books they can but don't always hovor.
2. There should be some kind of parlizing abiltiy. When people are around them for two long they lose the will to move or escape. It happened to Hagrid and the captured DeathEaters.
Other than that, great job.
from,
EE

Holocron Coder
2007-03-14, 02:30 PM
Wonderfully done i must say.

2. There should be some kind of parlizing abiltiy. When people are around them for two long they lose the will to move or escape. It happened to Hagrid and the captured DeathEaters.

Less paralyze and more will save to make any action. And, of course, this takes LONG exposure. Possibly 20 rounds of failed saves (thus, twice as long as getting the -10 penalty)

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-16, 12:14 AM
30 feet is 6 squares.

Also, the dementors should probably have improved grapple as a feat.

RMS Oceanic
2007-03-16, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the critique. Have updated based on advice.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-16, 06:24 AM
Since when were dementors undead?

And anyway, undead have d12 hit die, not d10.

It's also missing a feat. And skills. It should have skills, as it has an Intelligence score. It requires 32 skill points.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-03-16, 06:30 AM
Since when were dementors undead?

And anyway, undead have d12 hit die, not d10.

It's also missing a feat. And skills. It should have skills, as it has an Intelligence score.

They sort of seem undead... They can be banished / repelled by "good" magic (the Patronus), for example.

Maybe they could be native outsiders instead?

EvilElitest
2007-03-16, 05:21 PM
Those destroyed by them become one, seems undead to me.
from,
EE

RMS Oceanic
2007-03-16, 07:56 PM
Well actually, there's no canonical evidence to support that. I just thought that would be cool.

They're pretty much undead because all description of their flesh is cold and rotting. That sounds undead to me.

knightsaline
2007-03-19, 12:56 AM
Dementors are not evil. they may DO evil acts (causing sensitive people to relive their most painful memories, imprisoning souls) but they are not evil. The jury is still out about if they are undead

now all we need is a summon hearts protector spell. mine would be a celestial dire axolotl

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-19, 06:00 AM
You still need to change their HD to the proper Undead HD and give them skills, as well as that feat they're missing.

Haedrian
2007-03-19, 07:08 AM
Dementors are not evil. they may DO evil acts (causing sensitive people to relive their most painful memories, imprisoning souls) but they are not evil. The jury is still out about if they are undead
Hmm, I don't know... but would they count as LAWFUL evil?

And personally i'd put them as evil outsiders, not as undead; you can't raise dementors...

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-03-19, 05:26 PM
I'm pretty sure they're evil. They thrive on causing despair.

Renrik
2007-03-19, 07:54 PM
And...

They ally with the newly-raised Dark Lord, betraying the world's goodly people for the sole purpose of being able to cause more despair and therefor get more food.

Nada Rakshasa
2007-03-20, 09:36 PM
By human standards, dementors are evil. I suspect due to their inhuman nature, they exist outside the realm of human morality, such as man-eating tigers and such. But I suppose any sort of evil alignment would do for them.

I also believe that in the Half-Blood Prince it was observed that the dementors were breeding. Generally not a trait of the undead. Otherwise, pretty cool.

Grey Watcher
2007-03-20, 10:03 PM
Wait, I thought Dementor's could fly? In both the book and movie version of Prisoner of Azkaban, for example, they're way up in the air and attack Harry while he's flying up after the Snitch. I'd get rid of the land speed and replace it with a fly speed with either Good or Perfect maneuverability. I'd have to reread the books to get to decide for sure what it should be.

Also, the Blindvision. You might want to talk a bit about how it interacts with spells and effects that protect you from mental attacks and such. Would a Ring of Mind Shielding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#mindShielding), for example, render you invisible to Dementors?

EvilElitest
2007-03-20, 10:36 PM
Wait, I thought Dementor's could fly? In both the book and movie version of Prisoner of Azkaban, for example, they're way up in the air and attack Harry while he's flying up after the Snitch. I'd get rid of the land speed and replace it with a fly speed with either Good or Perfect maneuverability. I'd have to reread the books to get to decide for sure what it should be.

No the book says they can fly, but they are not always doing so. In the movie they are always flying. Well in the books when they do fly them more glind, so details are left for later.
from,
EE

Magi_Ring_O
2007-03-21, 04:26 PM
Dementors also drain the power out of wizards and witches in the book, so maybe there should be an antimagic zone around it.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-21, 07:41 PM
one...they are evil....full up evil...taking pleasure in suffering and dispair....evil, more likely NE, but evil evil evil...

jjpickar
2007-03-21, 11:12 PM
I always thought Dementor had a big brain jar on his head and acted and talked like Sinbad. Guess I'm using a different reference.

RMS Oceanic
2007-03-22, 03:38 AM
Dementors also drain the power out of wizards and witches in the book, so maybe there should be an antimagic zone around it.

If I did that, then there'd be no way of driving the dementor back with magic. Magic drain only occurs with prolonged exposure.

What if, instead, I required that all magic performed in the area of despair required a DC X concentration check, where X is the number of rounds exposed to the dementor?