PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Related Feats (not Weapon Master)

Aramis Rhett
2014-09-24, 01:03 PM
Just looking to have some discussion about the weapon feats and what everyones thoughts are on each or specific ones.

Crossbow Expert - The point blank aspect is nice, no disadvantage at 5ft. The bonus action is situationally ok, like if you are engage with this creature in your face and can use the bonus attack with a loaded hand crossbow to force a concentration check on a spell caster. But where I get a little hazy is where it mentions ignoring the loading aspect. It reads 'You ignore the loading quality of crossbows with which you are proficient.' Is it stating that proficiency with crossbows is granted by the feat or saying it applies to crossbows you were already proficient with and that it does not grant proficiency?

Great Weapon Master - Getting an bonus attack after landing a crit or reducing hit points to 0 is pretty solid. The -5 on the attack roll to give +10 to the damage roll is a reasonable risk. On one hand, you hit like a truck, on the other, you miss but don't provoke an attack of opportunity by overbalancing.

Polearm Master - The bonus action for 1d4 damage is ok. The attack of opportunity aspect is very nice, as when wielding a quarterstaff with a range of 5ft, use your last action to shove the target. Fairly solid IMO.

Sharpshooter - Being able to attack at max range without disadvantage is cool. Most combat doesn't take place or initiate at long range, so bows and crossbows will be affected less than the thrown weapons. Ignoring 1/2 and 3/4 cover is awesome. The -5 for a +10 (the same as in Great Weapon Master) is, again, a risk reward choice for the player to make.

That's all I have looked into right now, but may add more to it later.

Aramis Rhett
2014-09-24, 01:04 PM
In case I need this slot later on.

Demonic Spoon
2014-09-24, 01:09 PM
Crossbow Expert - The point blank aspect is nice, no disadvantage at 5ft. The bonus action is situationally ok, like if you are engage with this creature in your face and can use the bonus attack with a loaded hand crossbow to force a concentration check on a spell caster. But where I get a little hazy is where it mentions ignoring the loading aspect. It reads 'You ignore the loading quality of crossbows with which you are proficient.' Is it stating that proficiency with crossbows is granted by the feat or saying it applies to crossbows you were already proficient with and that it does not grant proficiency?

It means that if you already have proficiency with the crossbow, you can ignore its Loading property. This means that you can attack more than once per round with it if you have an extra attack.

Aramis Rhett
2014-09-24, 01:19 PM
It means that if you already have proficiency with the crossbow, you can ignore its Loading property. This means that you can attack more than once per round with it if you have an extra attack.

Thanks for that. One of the players at the same table as I play at was arguing it GAVE the proficiency with crossbows. The DM was somewhat confused, as we all were, but this should help to clarify.

edge2054
2014-09-24, 01:36 PM
Polearm Master is one of the better feats in the game in my opinion and I've had a really hard time telling the power gamer in me to shut up about it when it comes to character concepts (I generally don't enjoy playing fighters and strength fighters even less).

The 1d4 gives you full damage, like two-weapon fighting style. The attack of opportunity when people try to close is great too. You can also couple it with duelist style (quarterstaff) or great weapon fighting (allowing you to reroll the 1 or 2 on your 1d4, not great, but it's something). The two-handed option also combos nicely with GWM.

For Sharpshooter, the -5/+10 is a bit less of a drawback then it is for GWM as archery style gives +2 to hit. Much like GWM the value on this goes up if you can get advantage somehow. Both Sharpshooter and GWM don't benefit much from crits. Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert look like a natural pairing as well.

I'm hoping we'll see some more feats in the DMG. Not likely, but the ones we have currently seem to heavily favor some... less than typical playstyles.

Demonic Spoon
2014-09-24, 01:58 PM
The sharpshooter feat just wants me to make a assassin rogue that uses a heavy crossbow.