PDA

View Full Version : "Hook-shot" feats

OutRideACrisis
2014-09-24, 01:31 PM
I'm DMing a new campaign next week, one of the player's wants a Legend of Zelda hook-shot. At Level 4 force-hook-charge is out of reach. I've found this hook-shot thread but I don't like skirting the reposition rules and limiting the hook-shot to one type of maneuver. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=12438492&postcount=84.

I've put the following together, hopefully with this the player can still pick whatever martial class he wants. I've attempted to keep things accessible and to encourage battlefield control.

Dwarven Hook-Shot
Exotic Light Thrown Weapon; Cost: 1000gp; DMG (M): 1d6; Range: 10ft.; Weight: 2lb.; Type: P;
Hook-shots consist of a mechanical claw attached to 50ft of chain and a sprung winch. Once thrown the claw returns to the user immediately after the attack is resolved. A Hook Shot can be used as a grappling hook. A hook-shot provides a +2 circumstance bonus when performing an acrobatics check to jump providing there is a suitable anchor point.

Hook-Shot maneuverability
Feat; Requirements Weapon Prof (Hook-Shot)
Immediately after hitting an opponent with a hook-shot as a swift action you may perform an acrobatics check to jump directly towards the opponent. The +2 circumstance bonus provided by a hook-shot can be included in the jump check.

Hook-Shot Brute.
Immediately after hitting an opponent with a hook-shot as a swift action you may perform a reposition or trip maneuver against the opponent. This feat does not prevent trip or reposition maneuvers from provoking attacks of opportunity.

Hook-Shot finesse.
immediately after hitting an opponent with a hook-shot as a swift action you may perform a disarm maneuver against that opponent . If you have a free hand you may immediately pick up a light or one-handed item dropped by the opponent. This feat does not prevent trip or reposition maneuvers from provoking attacks of opportunity.

You may use the chain from a hook-shot to tie up an opponent, the penalty for doing so to a grappled opponent is -5 instead of -10.

Hook-Shot Charge.
Feat; Requirements Weapon Prof (Hook-Shot); BaB 6; Hook Shot maneuverability.
After using hook shot leap your next attack this round counts as a charge attack, including the usual AC penalty.

Hook-Shot Talent.
Racial Trait; Dwarven.
As a standard action you may retrieve an item with a successful ranged hook-shot attack. The item takes full damage from the attack, you may decline any applicable strength bonus when rolling damage.

Hook-shot Ranger Combat Style
1st Level; Precise Shot, Hook Shot maneuverability, Hook-shot Brute, Hook Shot finesse.
6th level; Close-Quarters Thrower, Hook Shot Charge, Snap Shot.
10th level; Improved Snap Shot, Pinpoint Targeting.

I've not home-brewed for 3.P before so any comments are appreciated. Does this seem balanced?

Zaq
2014-09-24, 01:40 PM
Are you familiar with the Rod of Ropes in Complete Scoundrel? It's basically a hookshot. Relatively cheap, too—just 4,000 gp.