PDA

View Full Version : Swashbuckler

Delwugor
2014-09-24, 01:39 PM
A friend asked me to join a 5E game he's starting up and I had decided that I'd like to run a swashbuckling character. The problem is that I've never played it before and so far do not have any of the books. Given the GM, I will not need to optimize, but of course I don't want a useless character.
What I'm thinking is a swashbuckling rogue type who covers a support/utility role instead of a straight fighter type.

Not being familiar with the system I turn to people here for advice and suggestions. Thanks in advanced.

Rfkannen
2014-09-24, 02:02 PM
Well Here is how I would do it. First the sailor backround, either the base if your good/neutral or the bad reputation varient if you are evil. Then I would pick whatever race you want for flavor. Then Class wise is where it might get weird. I would say that the way I would do it would be a character with 3 lvs battle master and 17 levels theif. But of course a pure rogue or a pure fighter, hell if you wanted to you could even go warlock or ranger. it is all what you want, from a fluff perspective.

DrLemniscate
2014-09-24, 02:15 PM
Fighter as a base class.

Main stats are DEX and CON.

Use the Dueling Fighting Style. It outpaces Two-Weapon Fighting (non-Feated), has more reliable damage, and lets you use your bonus action for other things.

You can wear a Shield and keep your bonus from Dueling, otherwise you could leave the open hand for Grappling.

Put a level in Barbarian eventually (preferably your 5th level). This lets you have an AC based off of DEX and CON. You can even obtain a higher AC than a straight Fighter sans magical armor.

Choose the Battle Master archetype. This gives you a toolbox of maneuvers every swashbuckler needs.

As for Feats, they give some of the best flexibility to your swashbuckler. If you chose Two-Weapon Fighting, you will want to pick up Dual Wielder for the damage and AC bump.

For Defense, there is Defensive Duelist and Shield Master (if using a shield), but several others could work.

For Offense or Utility, there is Sentinel and Mage Slayer, but again many others fit the bill.

Just remember, a Fighter doesn't always have to be some big hulking guy in plate. They might not be good at sneaking around, but they can go toe to toe with any enemy. On the surface, Fighters look pretty simple. But they get a lot of their utility from having the highest amount of Ability Score Improvements / Feats.

If you really want to be flexible and load up on Feats, you can be a Fighter / Rogue and eventually have 8 chances at Ability Score Improvements or Feats. 9 if you are a Variant Human.

Vintrastorm
2014-09-24, 03:10 PM
Also, with 2 levels of rogue you get to use your bonus action to increase your moving capabilities every round. It would probably fit with a swashbuckler theme.

However, do not spend to much time planning ahead. Get a feel for the game first. What is the plan for the adventure/campaign? Will your group stop playing after X levels? Switch characters after the adventure etc?
Starting with Fighter, however, is a good choice.

Yagyujubei
2014-09-24, 03:28 PM
so for you I would think perhaps Fighter6/rogue14 would be good.

Fighter to 6 gets you duelist fighting style, battle master with 3 maneuvers (Riposte, Trip attack, distracting strike imho), two ability bumps/feats, and an extra attack

rogue will net you tons of skill versatility and goodies like expertise and reliable talent, 7d6 sneak attack die, cunning action, uncanny dodge, evasion blind sense, and 4 ability bump/feats.

which class path for rogue you take is up to you, but they all have their merits depending upon how you want to play but personally I think the thief path would add the most flavor due to second story work and use magic device, although arcane trickster would be fun too to get some awesome spell effects.

roll around with rapier/dagger or rapier/shield and use light armor. for feats you a ton of flexibility but some fun ones would be Actor(would be amazing for the charismatic flavor), defensive duelist(although you're gonna be evading dmg like a boss anyway), Skilled (for even MORE badass skill versatility), Mobile (probably the best one for a agile swashbuckler feel).

say you went half elf and went standard array, you could go 15(Con+1) 14(Dex+2) 13(Cha+1) 12(Int) 10(Wis) 8(Str) and use three feats to get to 20 Dex and 18 Con, while having three feats to play with. this also would net you 45 feet movespeed with mobile, and 7 skill proficiencies right out the gate.

seems like a totally fun build to me

Delwugor
2014-09-25, 04:19 PM
Thanks all!
Sounds like a Rouge (Thief archetype?) build with a few dips into fighter (duelist, battlemaster) comes closest to what I'm aiming for.
For race I'm leaning more towards Wood Elf though Variant Human could work.
Sailor profession would be very interesting for a wood elf...

seems like a totally fun build to me
That's what I'm shooting for.

Another question: Does 5 have rules for main-gauche or will will I have to work with the GM to house rule it? In the distant past a previous GM allowed me to treat as a buckler against a single melee opponent.

Yagyujubei
2014-09-25, 04:29 PM
Thanks all!
Sounds like a Rouge (Thief archetype?) build with a few dips into fighter (duelist, battlemaster) comes closest to what I'm aiming for.
For race I'm leaning more towards Wood Elf though Variant Human could work.
Sailor profession would be very interesting for a wood elf...

That's what I'm shooting for.

Another question: Does 5 have rules for main-gauche or will will I have to work with the GM to house rule it? In the distant past a previous GM allowed me to treat as a buckler against a single melee opponent.

will need house ruling

MeeposFire
2014-09-25, 04:48 PM
will need house ruling

You could also reflavor a shield or more accurately you could use the defensive duelist feat (or whatever it is called) with a dagger that you describe as looking as that weapon. Then it even protects against one opponent.

Yagyujubei
2014-09-25, 08:47 PM
it would really really suck to need a feat to get the flavor you want since you get so few. and against other feats defensive duelist doesn't offer too much value tbh. It's good, but it wouldn't be my first pick by any means.

it would be easy enough to use the house rule you called before, it acts as a shield but only against the one enemy you're actively engaged in combat with.

OR you could try to convince your DM to add a dagger that also gives +1AC to the game, and take the dual wielder feat.

Delwugor
2014-09-26, 08:37 AM
I'll discuss with the GM, if not at least I can visualize a buckler as a main-gauche.

WickerNipple
2014-09-26, 08:42 AM
I'll discuss with the GM, if not at least I can visualize a buckler as a main-gauche.

Ya, I'd just call it a main-gauche and use the rules for shield. Harmless.

DCraw
2014-09-26, 09:28 AM
Asking the DM to reflavour your buckler as a main gauche is perfectly reasonable. If they seem hesitant you could suggest it counts as either a buckler (for the AC) or a weapon (for TWF), but not both, or even that it can never count as a weapon at all. Honestly, I'd be prepared for them to insist on something like that anyway.

That said, this isn't much of a loss. TWF is fairly weak after the first few levels. Getting an extra attack is nice, but you really should make sure that you have better options to use your bonus action.

Daishain
2014-09-26, 10:03 AM
Alternative path might be a college of Valor Bard with a 1 level fighter and/or rogue dip

Go for the Variant Entertainer background known as Gladiator and reflavor it as a duelist

You become a stronger utility/support character overall, but miss out on much of the direct combat ability.

Bear in mind that your method of support is now largely arcane in nature, if that isn't the flavor you want, ignore this option.