PDA

View Full Version : Player Help thor in 3.5

sideswipe
2014-09-24, 05:45 PM
hey guys i need some help for a new player.

the group are currently 5th level and he would like to play thor, from the films, not comics.

i don't just want to make a human fighting character with a hammer. and i don't want it too complex.
any suggestions?

Judge_Worm
2014-09-24, 05:56 PM
Cleric of Thor?

More to the actual point though, a barbarian with a warhammer that has an electrical damage enchantment, maybe also enchanted so that it weighs several tons if anyone else tries to pick it up. Half-Celestial Human for race (flying and outsider typing). That goes for comics or movies.

Soranar
2014-09-24, 06:08 PM
Hum... Thor is not very wise but he can be clever

I'd make him a Warblade/Bloodstorm blade

That way you can learn a way to throw the hammer like he does and it'll return to him

The maneuvers should be able to cover many of his abitilies (some ignore hardness for example)

Other than that Thor is a fairly straightforward character (I charge the enemy and hit him with my hammer)

Some dwarf only classes could help (one grants 2x your STR to damage if you yield a warhammer with 2 hands, stuff like that)

As mentioned though, a cleric would cover the electricity aspect with spells

Fax Celestis
2014-09-24, 06:12 PM
Duskblade wielding a warhammer, channeling shocking grasp. Human. Feats: Jotunbrud, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush. Next level he can take Knockback, which'll let him hit people so hard he can send them flying.

If you don't mind third party, you can also let him get this feat (probably with some alterations, since it's got sorcerer-centric text) from War of the Burning Sky:

East Wind Style [General]
You have learned the techniques of the Monastery of Two Winds. Your vicious, tempestuous fighting style makes you a storm upon your foes.

Prerequisite: Ability to cast shocking grasp spontaneously.

Benefit: You can multiclass freely between sorcerer and monk. If you have monk levels, you can apply your Charisma modifier instead of your Wisdom modifier to your monk’s AC bonus and to the DC of your stunning fist attacks. You cannot cast sorcerer spells with the earth descriptor.

If you have the Stunning Fist feat, whenever you make a stunning fist attack, your unarmed strike deals +1d6 points of electricity damage. If you possess the ki strike ability, you can expend a use of stunning fist to cast shocking grasp as a swift action (the shocking grasp occurs instead of the normal stunning effect). This does not count against the normal limit of using stunning fist only once a round, so you could choose to expend two stunning fist uses to cast shocking grasp and deliver a powerful stunning strike infused with electricity.

You may select Auran as a bonus language.

Forrestfire
2014-09-24, 06:16 PM
I'd just go with a Cleric 5. He's not going to have throwing/returning yet, but he can definitely hit people hard with his hammer, and since it's just cleric right now, it shouldn't be too complex.

For Domains, go with the Weather Domain, netting you Call Lightning at the level you're at, and later on a bunch of weather spells to help fit the concept. His other domain could really be whatever (maybe the Travel Domain, for fly. Teleportation could be fluffed as as something like using the Bifrost).

When he hits level 7, I would suggest suggesting he pick up Divine Power. Marvel Thor likes doing that thing where lightning strikes his hammer at the start of a fight, fluff it as that, and then he can hang out in melee with the best of them.

Red Fel
2014-09-24, 09:14 PM
Seconding Bloodstorm Blade, it's an awesome choice for a thrown/returning weapon master, which is most of what Thor is.

If you want to downplay the hammer throwing and up-play the hammer wielding, make him a Dwarf and go with the Hammer of Moradin PrC from Player's Guide to Faerun. It's not an awesome class in a vacuum, but it's great flavor for a hammer-wielder and it gets bonuses against the enemies of the dwarves Asgardians - dark elves, goblins, and giants. Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade would probably get you more cool hammer-fu action, though.

If you want to focus on his magical "god of thunder" side, try the Stormlord PrC from Complete Divine, and refluff the Javelin focus with a Hammer. From that PrC, you get 10/10 Cleric casting, your weapon is treated as a Thundering Shocking Burst weapon, you're immune to wind, you're resistant to electricity, you can fly during a storm, and at capstone, you can cast Storm of Elemental Fury 1/day.

Gwendol
2014-09-25, 01:42 AM
hey guys i need some help for a new player.

the group are currently 5th level and he would like to play thor, from the films, not comics.

i don't just want to make a human fighting character with a hammer. and i don't want it too complex.
any suggestions?

Is there a difference between the two?

I was hoping for Thor of Asgard (like in the Norse mythologoy)... Now that would be something!

Xerlith
2014-09-25, 05:04 AM
You could try your luck with Duskblade3/Warblade1/Bloodstorm Blade1 going into Duskblade3/Warblade1/BsB2/AbjChamp5/Warblade+9

Channel Lightning Grasp, possibly Arcane Thesis'd and Empowered (Rapid Metamagic or Arcane Preparation are needed for this to work), throw the hammer as a melee attack, deal damage, get it back. That's a martially-inclined version.

dysprosium
2014-09-25, 09:22 AM
Is there a difference between the two?

I was hoping for Thor of Asgard (like in the Norse mythologoy)... Now that would be something!

There is a big difference between the two. The movie version cannot do half of the things that Thor has done/can do in the comics.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-25, 10:44 AM
Actually, if you changed all the fire-based stuff in the Desert Wind discipline to electricity, renamed it as the Lightning Strike discipline, and gave Warblades access to it, a Warblade focusing on Lightning Strike, Stone Dragon (the mountain hammers/mountain strikes in particular), and to a lesser extent Iron Heart/Diamond Mind might work well. Doesn't give him flight, but otherwise could make for a really good Thor. Maybe homebrew a stance that lets him fly (3rd- or 4th-level, I'd say); then he wouldn't even need to multiclass. I really want to try this one myself...

Alternately, have him take some levels in Warlock. Make an eldritch essence invocation that changes damage type to Electricity, give him hideous blow (or Eldritch Glaive, and refluff it as a hammer made of lightning?), and once he hits level six he can pick up fell flight and multiclass out to something with more hit points (maybe the above-mentioned warblade?). Not as elegant, but requires less homebrewing.

ETA: The simplest solution is make him a cleric with the appropriate domains, and have his powers come from himself (then give him a code of honor to replace whatever a deity would expect of his behavior). If you want, maybe let him take some levels in Stormlord despite not worshipping Talos.

Fax Celestis
2014-09-25, 10:50 AM
Actually, if you changed all the fire-based stuff in the Desert Wind discipline to electricity and renamed it as the Lightning Strike discipline, a Warblade focusing on Lightning Strike, Stone Dragon (the mountain hammers/mountain strikes in particular), and to a lesser extent Iron Heart/Diamond Mind might work well. Doesn't give him flight, but otherwise could make for a really good Thor. Maybe homebrew a stance that lets him fly (3rd- or 4th-level, I'd say); then he wouldn't even need to multiclass.

Alternately, have him take some levels in Warlock. Make an eldritch essence invocation that changes damage type to Electricity, give him hideous blow, and once he hits level six he can pick up fell flight and multiclass out to something with more hit points (maybe the above-mentioned warblade?). Not as elegant, but requires less homebrewing.

Well, the 8th level stance in "Lightning Strike" would give it to him. But that's ludicrously high level.

If you did that though, you could do something like Sorcerer 3/Swordsage 3/Jade PhoenixQuetzal Mage X. Maybe even Battle or Stalwart Sorcerer to start out with to make him more gishy from the get-go. I'd use a Duskblade base, but the earliest you'd be able to make that work would be Duskblade 5/Swordsage 1 and you wouldn't get to cast fly. Or whirling blade which seems fantastic for this character (though you'll again have to fudge it a little).

Alternatively, you could go Incarnate. A NG incarnate's Incarnate Weapon is a warhammer. Couple that with a warblade dip and go into Bloodstorm Blade. Also shape Lightning Gauntlets and spend a feat on Shape Soulmeld (Thunderstep Boots). 6 levels of incarnate would get you 4 shapes and 2 binds (with access to feet and hands), so you could shape and bind Thunderstep Boots (1d4+ed4 sonic damage after a charge, save or stun anyone who gets hit after a charge), shape and bind Lightning Gauntlets (1d6+ed6 electricity as a touch attack, can imbue a melee attack with it), shape Incarnate Weapon (get a warhammmer with a +e enhancement bonus), and shape Crystal Helm (+2 vs charm/compulsion, +e deflection to AC). 6 points of essentia you can move around as necessary.

Or drop the thunderstep greaves and shape and bind Airstep Sandals for 10'+10e' fly speed (perfect).

You can stick in Incarnate or into something else. Incarnate 6/Warblade 1/Bloodstorm Blade x would be perfectly functional, would be able to do Thor's nifty hammerthrow stuff, and would have some of his more notable abilities (flight, lightning, resilience).

Segev
2014-09-25, 10:50 AM
I'd go with Aasmiar or Celestial Dwarf, and let him buy off the LA so he's only a few thousand exp behind the party. Warblade does seem like a good choice for class, aiming for Bloodstorm Blade. The Sudden Leap maneuver from Tiger Claw can do a lot of faux flying. Enchant the hammer with an 1800 gp Unseen Servant effect to have it pick itself up and float to the waiting hand of its owner.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-25, 10:56 AM
Well, the 8th level stance in "Lightning Strike" would give it to him. But that's ludicrously high level.

If you did that though, you could do something like Sorcerer 3/Swordsage 3/Jade PhoenixQuetzal Mage X. Maybe even Battle or Stalwart Sorcerer to start out with to make him more gishy from the get-go. I'd use a Duskblade base, but the earliest you'd be able to make that work would be Duskblade 5/Swordsage 1 and you wouldn't get to cast fly. Or whirling blade which seems fantastic for this character (though you'll again have to fudge it a little).

Alternatively, you could go Incarnate. A NG incarnate's Incarnate Weapon is a warhammer. Couple that with a warblade dip and go into Bloodstorm Blade. Also shape Lightning Gauntlets and spend a feat on Shape Soulmeld (Thunderstep Greaves).

Oooh, Incarnum would work well indeed. Only issue is that they're low on hit points and BAB, but a few levels of Warblade and some Bloodstorm Blade would solve that.

Also, 8th-level stance? Eugh, that's late. The Martial Adepts are basically spellcasters anyways, and continuous flight is available from level 6 (if not earlier).

Fax Celestis
2014-09-25, 10:57 AM
Alternatively, you could go Incarnate. A NG incarnate's Incarnate Weapon is a warhammer. Couple that with a warblade dip and go into Bloodstorm Blade. Also shape Lightning Gauntlets and spend a feat on Shape Soulmeld (Thunderstep Boots). 6 levels of incarnate would get you 4 shapes and 2 binds (with access to feet and hands), so you could shape and bind Thunderstep Boots (1d4+ed4 sonic damage after a charge, save or stun anyone who gets hit after a charge), shape and bind Lightning Gauntlets (1d6+ed6 electricity as a touch attack, can imbue a melee attack with it), shape Incarnate Weapon (get a warhammmer with a +e enhancement bonus), and shape Crystal Helm (+2 vs charm/compulsion, +e deflection to AC). 6 points of essentia you can move around as necessary.

Or drop the Thunderstep Boots and shape and bind Airstep Sandals for 10'+10e' fly speed (perfect).

You can stick in Incarnate or into something else. Incarnate 6/Warblade 1/Bloodstorm Blade x would be perfectly functional, would be able to do Thor's nifty hammerthrow stuff, and would have some of his more notable abilities (flight, lightning, resilience).

This got edited in and I wanted to make sure it didn't get lost.

Hell, you could even make him an azurin to give him an otherworldly-but-still-sort-of-human feel and augment the Incarnate's features (because bonus essentia = win).

Stick with incarnate until 10th and you can shape and bind Vitality Belt for e*meldshaper level bonus HP.

lytokk
2014-09-25, 10:58 AM
I'm going to buck the trend and mention Kensai. Movie Thor is shown to be somewhat less able without his hammer. Something like duskblade/kensai seems to work, first for the ability to channel shocking grasp and being able to put throwing/returning onto his hammer without the need to purchase it himself. An adamantine hammer should do the trick. The only problem is kensai need 5 ranks in diplomacy, which isn't a duskblade skill. Cross class ranks, he won't be able to get into it til level 8. But, say, duskblade 4/warblade 1/kensai would do well. Duskblade 4 first for the Medium armored mage and for the IL of 2, which gives you access to a couple of better warblade manuevers. After kensai, maybe just more warblade.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-25, 11:47 AM
Kensai makes a fair amount of sense, yeah. However, maybe see if you can convince the DM to let the player have Mjönlir as a Legendary Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/legendaryWeapons.htm) from Unearthed Arcana? That system is basically Weapons of Legacy's cool little brother. There's four different PrCs, one for each of martials, divine casters, arcane casters, and skillmonkeys; no rituals are necessary to advance the weapon's power, it just scales up with your level in the prestige class (in effect, the increased weapon abilities are class features), and it's generally easier to understand, and easier to roleplay. The weapons aren't as strong, but you don't lose hit points/save bonuses/skill bonuses/attack bonuses/extremities/whatever. I quite like it, and want to use it when I get a chance to.

Zaq
2014-09-25, 01:01 PM
I'm going to buck the trend and mention Kensai. Movie Thor is shown to be somewhat less able without his hammer. Something like duskblade/kensai seems to work, first for the ability to channel shocking grasp and being able to put throwing/returning onto his hammer without the need to purchase it himself. An adamantine hammer should do the trick. The only problem is kensai need 5 ranks in diplomacy, which isn't a duskblade skill. Cross class ranks, he won't be able to get into it til level 8. But, say, duskblade 4/warblade 1/kensai would do well. Duskblade 4 first for the Medium armored mage and for the IL of 2, which gives you access to a couple of better warblade manuevers. After kensai, maybe just more warblade.

Martial Study for a White Raven maneuver will give you Diplomacy as a permanent class skill.

lytokk
2014-09-25, 01:20 PM
Martial Study for a White Raven maneuver will give you Diplomacy as a permanent class skill.

That could work too, but unless your playing with flaws or a race where you get a bonus feat at first level, entry into kensai would be level 7, if my math is right. Also having the exta oomph with a couple manuevers would help with the build.

sideswipe
2014-09-25, 06:52 PM
i am the DM by the way. so i can allow anything.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-25, 07:05 PM
This build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?265506-How-would-you-build-Thor-12th-lvl#14) is for a 12th level Thor, but it can be scaled down. Duskblade using Shocking Grasp plus Born of the Three Thunders with an Item Familiar hammer that can fly back to his hand when thrown or just drag him behind it. This other thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?314139-Need-advice-on-how-to-build-Thor-3-5) is also related.

Magemakeboom
2014-09-25, 11:15 PM
Hammer of Moradin from players guide to faerun. Gives you many hammer related abilities including allowing you to hit the ground and send a shockwave

sideswipe
2014-09-26, 06:31 AM
thanks for all the replies, and keep them coming if you have suggestions. also for feats, ways they can be played,

-warblade/bloodstorm blade sounds good, but there is already a warblade in the party....
-duskblade looks good for what he may want, gish in a can
-cleric if he wants to concentrate on the magical side, though we already have a DMM persist cleric (who uses it to buff and heal all day) so a battle cleric non DMM persist would work.
-i have never touched incarnum so none of that unfortunately
-that 12th level build looks good, he could build up towards it.
-if he wants to concentrate on his hammer being awesome then kensai.

essentially i will sell all of these to him on monday and see what he thinks.

ranagrande
2014-09-26, 03:54 PM
Most importantly, take the Major Titan Bloodline so that you can use a Gargantuan warhammer with no penalties.