PDA

View Full Version : Is this Racial Substitution Level for Monks any good?

atemu1234
2014-09-24, 05:46 PM
The Phaethon one from Races of Ansalon. Any good?

2014-09-24, 11:57 PM
Firstly, the obligatory "it sucks because monk". Now that that's out of the way, it looks like a pretty significant upgrade to the monk on the surface: it gets around a couple serious problems with the monk's DPR with the free 5ft step between attacks (allowing movement and flurry in the same round) and a damage bonus, allowing the monk to use their feats boosting attack instead of damage. Of course, the limited uses per day, and limited duration, and fatigue ending, make this like a lamer version of the barbarian's rage.

Also, notice how, in order to get it, you need to take monk past 2nd level, a common "abandon ship" point for the monk; in order for it to get decent, you need to take it to 9th level (2/day, up to 6 rounds, +3 Will and damage, not fatigued afterward), far after 6th level, the other common "abandon ship" point.

Of course, maybe you're playing with a DM that hates dipping, or you really want to go straight monk for some reason. This racial substitution gets awesome beyond 18th level:

lvl 17: 4/day, 10 rounds, +5 Will, +5 damage, not fatigued afterward
lvl 18: 4/day, 10 rounds, +5 Will, +5 damage, not fatigued afterward
lvl 19: 5/day, 11 rounds, +5 Will, +5 damage, not fatigued afterward
lvl 20: infinite/day, 11 rounds, +5 Will, +5 damage, not fatigued afterward

Wow! It gets great at monk 17! And it gets even better at monk 19! And monk 20 is frikking awesome! I mean sure, it's no wizard, but compared to the normal monk, that's pretty sweet! Yes, this racial substitution is awesome at 19th and 20th level; too bad it's for a race that has LA +2.

Actually, let's take a look at this race:

-Str -2 (bad for monk; Str is great for attack/damage, although not necessary for attack, given Weapon Finesse)
-Wis +2 (AC +1, Will save +1; fantastic, but not killer)
-Immunity to fire (common)
-Vulnerability to cold (sucks)
-60ft fly speed (awesome!)
-Low-light Vision (cool)
-Flaming Wings (awesome)
-Favored Class: Monk (This is funny. Even if your DM uses multiclassing penalties, this class has a built in mechanic that assumes the character will take levels in something other than monk, and that the levels in monk and the other class wouldn't be close enough to ignore multiclass penalties on their own. Also, monks can't multiclass away and return without some other options, and WotC material tends not to assume anything but the Core 3 exist)
-LA +2 (okay flight is great, as is the fire immunity, but is LA +2 appropriate? I don't think so)

Curmudgeon
2014-09-25, 12:48 AM
If you're playing Dragonlance instead of D&D 3.5, I don't see any reason not to go for this alternative Monk. It replaces a whole bunch of class abilities which don't work together with something that works like an unarmed 3.5 Dervish.

atemu1234
2014-09-25, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the help!

Another question I got is does the Monk's speed bonus apply to their fly speed?

2014-09-25, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the help!

Another question I got is does the Monk's speed bonus apply to their fly speed?

It's curious; PF monk specifies that land speed is enhanced, while 3.5 monk just says speed. Whether it applies or not, there's plenty of ways to increase one's various speeds; unless you find proof that it shouldn't apply, I'd suggest talking to your DM about it (assuming this is for an actual game, as opposed to personal curiosity).

atemu1234
2014-09-25, 02:39 PM
It's curious; PF monk specifies that land speed is enhanced, while 3.5 monk just says speed. Whether it applies or not, there's plenty of ways to increase one's various speeds; unless you find proof that it shouldn't apply, I'd suggest talking to your DM about it (assuming this is for an actual game, as opposed to personal curiosity).

It's more for personal curiosity, though if I ever was told to run a monk I'd probably run one of these with LA buyoff.