PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Magic Domain (PEACH)

BranMan
2014-09-24, 07:00 PM
Here's my first try at creating a Magic Domain for the Cleric. Is the Channel Divinity feature too strong?

Magic Domain Spells:
1: Detect Magic, Magic Missile
3: Magic Weapon, Phantasmal Force or Enhance Ability
5: Dispel Magic, Counterspell
7: Dimension Door, Polymorph
9: Telekinesis, Scrying

Magician: When you choose this domain at 1st level, you may choose one additional cantrip from the Wizard spell list, and gain proficiency in one of the following skills of your choice: Arcana, Investigation, or Insight.

Magic Resurge: You can use your channel divinity feature to regain a number of spent spell slots equal to your wisdom modifier -2 (minimum 1). The regained spells cannot be higher than 4th level.

Radiant Counterspell: At 6th level, whenever you use the spell counterspell, you can choose to deal 2d10 + your wisdom modifier radiant damage to the target of the spell.

Divine Strike: As normal, but force damage

Divine Resurge: Whenever you use your magic resurge feature to channel divinity, you may regain a number of spell slots equal to your wisdom modifier instead of the normal effect. In addition, the spell slots can be from any level up to 7th.

BRKNdevil
2014-09-24, 09:47 PM
Yes i think that the channel divinity ability is a bit to powerful but i dunno how you should fix it.

stitchlipped
2014-09-25, 07:07 AM
Hey,

I feel like the flavour of a "magic" domain should be more about getting arcane features that a cleric can't normally touch. After all, they've already got plenty of "magic" without needing a domain that doubles up on the divine gifts of their gods.

This is a domain for clerics of the deities that have something to do with arcane magic like Boccob, Wee Jas, and Corellon Larethian.

With that in mind here's a thought for an alternative Channel Divinity feature:

Channel Arcane - as an action you present your holy symbol and pray for the arcane might of your deity. You may cast any Wizard spell that meets the following criteria:

-the Spell Level of your chosen arcane spell is at least two below your maximum Cleric Spell Level.
--- At 2nd level, when you first gain this ability, you may only choose a 0th level spell, eg . a cantrip.
--- At 5th level, you may choose any cantrip or 1st level spell, at 7th level you may now also choose a 2nd level spell, and so on.
-if the spell would take longer to cast than an action, you take that long instead. If the spell would normally be cast as a bonus action or reaction, it still takes an action for you to cast it using Channel Arcane.

Another idea: instead of picking two domain spells per level like a normal domain, why not give the player the option of picking any spell of the appropriate level off the Wizard list, but they only get one domain spell per level as the price for this flexibility.