PDA

View Full Version : Sneak attack

ZhanStrider
2014-09-24, 10:26 PM
Hey guys, I'm trying to explain to my DM why having sneak attack at any range is broken. Can you explain why it has the range if 30 feet?

eggynack
2014-09-24, 10:33 PM
It really isn't broken. We're just talking reasonable damage, and situational damage at that. If anything, this would be a nifty way to buff the ever-weak ranged combat path.

Edit: Also, pretty sure you can't flank at range without effort, so this would be even more situational than normal sneak attacks.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-24, 10:37 PM
If you're more than 30 feet away, you can't see the target's vitals well enough (or you can, but they may have shifted a bit between the time the arrow is fired and the time it strikes). That's the in-game justification, AFAIK.

ETA: your GM might be more willing to compromise; maybe suggest only letting sneak attack apply within one range increment?

Divide by Zero
2014-09-24, 10:54 PM
Sneak Attack already has enough immunities and it's not spectacular damage unless you put a lot of effort into optimizing it anyway. While the fluff is questionable, I wouldn't call that broken.

eggynack
2014-09-24, 10:59 PM
I get the argument for 30 ft. sneak attack fitting in a flavor way, but I gotta say, if the game let you sneak attack from any distance, I wouldn't be all like, "Oh man, total flavor fail. That makes no sense." I'd just see it as a completely reasonable thing.

torrasque666
2014-09-24, 11:18 PM
I don't exactly see how hitting someone from farther than they can see wouldn't be a sneak attack. Hell, I just made a build off the top of my head that can hit someone from almost a mile away.(5,400 feet, someone else might be able to get it further) X/Cragtop Archer 4/X+ gets you a max range of 15 increments instead of 10, far shot and distance get you base*1.5*2 and with a heavy crossbow you have a range of 120*1.5*2=180*2=360 per range increment, 15 increments for a total of 5,400 feet. If you're telling me that that aint a sneak attack, then what the hell is?

Seeing them is a whole other problem tho.

Troacctid
2014-09-24, 11:24 PM
It has the range of 30 feet because you need to be able to aim accurately in order to strike the vital spot that you're supposedly hitting when you make a sneak attack, and that's difficult to do if you're too far away.

The limit is pretty easy to circumvent. Sniper's Shot is a 1st level spell. You can get a wand of it for 750 gp.