PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Building a shadow pounce gish

SciChronic
2014-09-25, 06:17 AM
As the title says, i'm trying to create an interesting shadow pounce gish character; primarily through the use of the Teflemmar shadowlord. However, i'm not quite sure what base classes/templates i should pick up in order to do so. Multi-pouncing would be awesome, but i want to be able to shadow pounce at least once per round by level 9-10.

At the moment i thinking a 2 level totemist dip for the blink shirt, totem bound and both essentia invested so i can dimension door 30ft as a move action. Maybe some swordsage for shadow jaunt, but the swordsage maneuver recovery is terrible.

As for template, i don't want to go beyond a +1 LA

Additionally, if i can somehow fulfill the skillmonkey roll as well, that'd be amazing.

Kaje
2014-09-25, 07:20 AM
I've made a build before that used Crinti Shadow Marauder, Swordsage (with adaptive style) and Ardent to get 3 shadowpounces every other round, and one shadowpounce the rounds in between via dimension hop. The only issue might be getting enough power points to fuel dimension hop as often as you'd like.

SciChronic
2014-09-25, 07:31 AM
currently my build is totemist 2/ swordsage 3/ shadowlord 4/ psychic warrior X

ILM
2014-09-25, 09:01 AM
For cheap but limited multi-pounce opportunities, the MIC has the Anklet of Translocation (swift action 10 ft teleport, 2 or 3/day, 1,400 gp) and the Boots of Swift Passage (move action 20 ft teleport, 3/day IIRC, 5,000 gp).

Darrin
2014-09-25, 09:07 AM
My TWF OffHandbook has a section on Shadow Pouncing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15034783&postcount=14). The Shadow Adept build uses a Shadowcaster, so that counts as a Gish.

Does it have to be Telflammar Shadowlord? Crinti Shadow Marauder is a little easier to qualify for.

SciChronic
2014-09-25, 10:16 AM
For cheap but limited multi-pounce opportunities, the MIC has the Anklet of Translocation (swift action 10 ft teleport, 2 or 3/day, 1,400 gp) and the Boots of Swift Passage (move action 20 ft teleport, 3/day IIRC, 5,000 gp).
IIRC both of those items function as dimension door, meaning i can't take any actions after using them, so they would have to be my final pounce. The Blink Shirt is an unlimited version of this.

My TWF OffHandbook has a section on Shadow Pouncing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15034783&postcount=14). The Shadow Adept build uses a Shadowcaster, so that counts as a Gish.

Does it have to be Telflammar Shadowlord? Crinti Shadow Marauder is a little easier to qualify for.
it doesn't have to be shadowlord, but i felt that being able to use shadow walk without a mount would be more useful. Seeing as i want to be able to start shadow pouncing relatively quickly in my progression, i probably have to use shadow marauder, since i can't get around the skill reqs. of shadowlord.

my desire for a gish was more of a flavor thing, i want to be able to use some shadow magic, but this can be solved through deeper investment into swordsage for shadow hand maneuvers i suppose.

btw, my DM does allow up to 2 flaws.

ILM
2014-09-25, 10:51 AM
IIRC both of those items function as dimension door, meaning i can't take any actions after using them, so they would have to be my final pounce.
While both do list dimension door as a crafting requirement, neither mentions its limitation in their text. In fact, they don't even say "as with dimension door". It's just a short-range teleport, no caveats.