PDA

View Full Version : Jacob's tower IC

Pages : [1] 2

Dr.Bakuga
2014-09-25, 10:15 AM
Jacob's Tower

http://i57.tinypic.com/29z4t3q.png

OOC Thread (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?373678-Jacob-s-tower-OOC&p=18163024)

Welcome to Jacob's tower.
After some time of travel, the four of you have finally reached the hiding place of the nefarious wizard Jacob. Can you brave its challenges(and strip it of everything valuable in the process)?

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#

#

#

#

+

+

#

#

#

R
M

S
J

#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#

You are in a 35'x25' room. The walls(#) and floor are made a of simple, tan stone blocks, the ceiling is about 20ft high.
The northern wall is covered with red drapes with gold fringes; to the east and west, there are wooden doors(+).
The entrance of the tower is behind you at E7(/ represents an open door).

The room is illuminated with torches located in sconces at A3, A5, I3 and I5; each sconce is roughly 10' above the ground - the entire room is well-lit.

What do you do?

VinGoodman
2014-09-25, 04:18 PM
Renmark prods idly at the ground with his ranseur as he walks about the room. "Well, here we are. Remind me again, any of you familiar with this place?"

As he waits for the fellow explorers to situate themselves, Renmark takes a moment to study each of the two closed doors and the floor near them, for any sign of recent travelers who may have entered before them.

raspberrybadger
2014-09-25, 06:35 PM
Jarlindur replies "I am familiar with a variety of structures and constructions, but no, I have never been here in particular."

Despite the light already here, he casts Light on the tip of his spear. No sense being unprepared.

Knowledge: Dungeoneering or Engineering [roll0] to know something useful about the structure, if possible.

Sethain
2014-09-25, 11:58 PM
Sairi shifts slightly in her spot, arms crossed and head swerving to survey the area.. and of course the group of people she now accompanied. Quite the interesting crew so far, an Arcanist, a Cleric, a Ranger, and of course herself.

At the question spoken aloud the leather armor clad young woman shrugged, brushing a strand of black hair from her eyes, "I have no clues about this place, but we're already here so it looks like we'll be learning as we go." she tilted her head to crack a few kinks, ready to get down to business. Swords, magic, arrows.. all she needed were her fists and instincts, and she was more then prepared to use both.

"Name's Sairi, by the way."

Dr.Bakuga
2014-09-26, 01:39 AM
Renmark's prodding reveals the floor to be a simple, ordinary stone floor. No traps are triggered, no hollow sounds indicate concealed pits or trapdoors of any kind.
His careful inspection of the floor and the doors reveals a thin sheet of dust that covers the floor, without any footprints or other signs that other adventurers were here first...
The doors appear to be unlocked. As he moves closer to the eastern door, he catches a faint whiff of some extremely foul odour behind it.

Jarlindur casts a cantrip and tries to remember any useful information he has picked up about Jacob's tower...
Jacob's tower is an archmage's folly. Overcome with vanity and the urge to prove his might, he built a tower that supposedly pierces the heavens and reaches the gods. None have heard of Jacob after he began building the tower, though its dark shadow and the occasional monster raids that emerge from it clearly mark it as source of great evil.

Sairi, Mara and Jarlindur notice a secret door hidden behind a red drape on the northern wall. It appears to be locked, and two thin magical cords run along the northern wall, behind the other drapes, to the east and west.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#

#

#

#

#

+

+

#

#

#

R
M

S
J

#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-26, 12:03 PM
Mara smiles with a greedy grin. "I just hope this place is loaded. Secret door on the north wall, let me check it out, shush for a moment"

She then goes over to the door, pressing her ear to it while listening carefully for an extended period. She also attempts to identify the smell, to see if it smells of undeath (or anything else she recognizes)

Take 20 on a perception check to hear things behind the secret door (26) or [roll0] if I can't take 20.

Roll for knowledge relig [roll1]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-09-26, 02:08 PM
Mara hears a faint chittering behind the secret door; the faint smell to the east doesn't hint at any undead beings she can recognize.

Sethain
2014-09-26, 02:34 PM
Sairi's dark blue gaze turns to the cleric.. eyeing her as she seemed to be focusing intently upon that door before them. "So.. what've we got behind door number three?" she spoke with a bit of a snark to her voice. She caught sight of those strange, magical fibers connected to the walls flanking the east and west side of the door, and brought a hand up to her chin curiously; scanning them over. Attempting to recall if she'd ever seen them before..

Attempting a Knowledge Dungeoneering check on those wires to see if Sairi had come across them before, and attempt to recall what they did if that is the case. Only a +2 to this but hell it's worth a shot! [roll0]

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-26, 05:29 PM
Mara smiles with an excited grin "Chittering, so rats maybe, or some other creature that makes such noise. I say this way. Secrets tend to be worth something, and a path hidden is a path worth seeking. Do we have someone who can pop a lock? I never got the knack."

She is clearly having a great time with this whole adventuring business.

VinGoodman
2014-09-26, 07:13 PM
"Let me have a look here," Renmark moves toward the north door and looks to see if anything might give him trouble. He takes a moment to study the ropes, before turning his attention to the door.

I am new to this rogue thing. Here are some rolls that may be needed. Feel free to take what you need out of it:

Perception to find traps: [roll0]

If I find anything that needs working on:
Trap:[roll1]
Lock:[roll2]

raspberrybadger
2014-09-26, 07:50 PM
Jarlindur gives Mara a nod, saying "Indeed. Though we will need to watch our backs. Unlocked doors mean unintelligent foes might wander through - or intelligent ones for that matter. This tower has a reputation for letting loose monsters, and this is the door, after all. As for locks, I have no such skill, but if need be I can apply a mechanical solution. First though, some magical caution."

He then casts Detect Magic and studies the door.

If there are no known traps after Renmark's work and the detect magic,

skeleton key roll to unlock the door: [roll0]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-09-27, 03:35 AM
Sairi knits her brows as she attempts to recall something related to the thin wires connected to the hidden door...and is eventually forced to admit a hole in her education.

Renmarks careful inspection of the secret door reveals a comforting lack of traps. He fails to unlock the door, however - it is covered with a layer of stone of the same type as the walls around it, and looks very sturdy.

Jarlindur detects magic, and notices that the wires connected to the door are apparently enchanted with something - they emit a faint aura of transmutation. The door itself doesn't detect as magical.
Unfortunately, the skeleton key fails to beat the very well-made lock of the secret door.

During the inspection of the northern wall, some of you notice that the drapes constantly get in the way of your searching.

A brief, irritated tug by Renmark as he is trying to beat the complex lock tears down the drape that concealed the secret door, and he ends up with a large, red piece of cloth with golden fringes.

Perhaps it is of some worth?

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#

#

J
R

#

#

M

S
#

+

+

#

#

#

#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#

Renmark has obtained a red drape with gold fringes! Weight: 20lbs, worth ??

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-27, 09:19 AM
Mara hrmmms in a disapointed manner. Locks... tsh. Guess we have to find the key. Alright, door number 2 it is then."

She then goes to the east door, repeating her careful examination and listening for any noises from the other side.

Perception, taking 20 to try to hear/sense what is past the east door.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-09-27, 09:56 AM
Mara listens at the east door and hears the some shuffling and a low grunt.

In passing, she looks at the red drape Renmark has torn loose, and appraises its value at roughly 30gold pieces.

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-27, 11:51 AM
"All right guys, I think we got zombies on the other side of this door. Who goes through first? I should be helpful in the middle of the group. I am armored enough to avoid most hits and my best attack has some decent range. Lets haul down all that cloth first. Money is money after all. I think we can get 30gp per drape. How much does that weigh?"

raspberrybadger
2014-09-27, 12:39 PM
Jarlindur replies confidently "Whoever goes first, if there's lots of them I can summon up an eagle from the celestial realms. Snap of the fingers and that thing should be able to shred one zombie and perhaps distract another. Say Mara opens the door and attacks at range if possible, people who hit things up close go in and hit things, and if there's plenty left I put an eagle on them."

Sethain
2014-09-27, 01:58 PM
Sairi perks up at the mention of possible action, and grins, stepping up to the group as they debate over who would go first to take the first round of blows.

"Let me go first. If something does end up lumbering out of that room then we don't want it chewing the less hearty of ya apart. I can take a few swings, heck, I can probably lock it down for you to flank 'em." she nods and approaches the door as Mara examines it. Turning toward the cloth that she had mentioned, Sairi reaches up and tugs one more down, examining its weight."Hm, thirty gold eh? Our friend Jacob must've been pretty loaded then."

VinGoodman
2014-09-27, 03:44 PM
After the unsuccessful attempt, Renmark throws up his hands in frustration. "Bah, Balik would have had that door in a snap if he were here." He shoves the fallen drape aside in frustration before stepping back to study the drapes and the apparently magical wires some more.

At Mara's words about the zombies and everyone's responses, Renmark hurries to put his coat back on and grab his ranseur. Nodding to Sairi, he tries to think about where pa would've positioned him. "Sairi, how about you and I take the front then."

With that, Renmark readies his ranesur and moves toward the door.

Renmark moves to G5.

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-27, 04:18 PM
"I suggest we form a line, best formation for buildings like this, as we can pass through doors without getting all mixed up. Sairi then Renmark then Jarlindu safely behind them. I'll take up rearguard in case anything comes at us from behind, but while I can take a hit or two, I don't do melee very well. Once we get in position, Sairi can open the door and we can deal with whatever lies behind it."

Sethain
2014-09-27, 05:22 PM
The human grins, nodding to Jarlindur, Renmark and Mara, "Sounds like a plan to me." She moved toward the door as well, stepping in front of Renmark and turning back to the others, "And those drapes can wait until -after- we crack some undead skulls in. May as well clear out anything that could surprise us before we do the looting." she turned toward the ranger standing at the door with her, "Renmark, right? How's this sound; whatever comes through that door I'm going to try and knock it flat on it's ass; give you a nice, easy target to hack away at." she grinned, turning back toward the door; cracking her knuckles and tightening her fists, punching them together twice to warm herself up.

Activating Combat Expertise: -1 to Attack Rolls and Combat Maneuvers while gaining a +1 Dodge Bonus to AC. Also Fighting Defensively: -4 to Attack rolls (including combat maneuvers) and +2 to Ac. If no enemy attacks upon opening the door she will drop these and return to fighting normally upon her turn.

Sairi is currently taking a -5 penalty to Attack Accuracy, -5 Penalty to Combat Maneuvers, and gaining a +3 AC bonus to put herself at 19 AC for the initial opening of the door

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-27, 06:11 PM
Mara nods as she loads her crossbow. Her smile drops off her face as she suddenly gets serious.

raspberrybadger
2014-09-29, 12:57 AM
Jarlindur nods and gets into position. He's ready for anything.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-09-29, 08:24 AM
As Sairi opens the door, she reveals a 25'x25' room with a wooden door to the north and a pool of spoiled water to the south. Rotting bundles of hay are scattered throughout the room, interspersed with animal feces, small bones, and various bits and pieces of indeterminable organic material in various stages of decomposition.

A group of animals is gnawing on *something* in the middle of the room; as the group of adventurers interrupts their meal, most of the smaller ones scurry away to hide in the hay, while three of the bigger and braver ones turn to fight!

Fuzzy animals win Initiative! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?373678-Jacob-s-tower-OOC&p=18180642#post18180642)
Several things happen rather quickly:
The foul smell that permeates the Fuzzy animal's lair spills into the adjacent room and assaults our brave heroes' olfactory senses;
a tiny black-and-white-striped animal moves closer, turns around and sprays *something* at Sairi, while a larger one shuffles past with surprising speed and tries to bite the unfortunate martial artist.

The third animal moves past the others and Sairi, leaving its lair behind to snap at the brawler's legs.

a
b
c
d
e
f
g
h
i
j
k
l
m
n
o

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#

#

#

~

~
#

#

d
#

~
~
#

+

M
J

S
p/
sk

%

~
#

#

R

#
~

=

~
#

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

Note:
~ counts as difficult terrain.

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-29, 08:47 AM
Mara gags at the offending smell before deciding to act.

"Not zombies, my bad. I hate nature!"

She then brandishes her balanced scales and unleashes a blast of negative energy that washes over the whole area, but passes by her allies with no effect.

Channel negative energy to harm living things, selectively ignoring my 3 allies.
[roll0]
Will save DC 13 for half damage.

VinGoodman
2014-09-29, 09:45 AM
"Ugh!" Renmark nearly gags in unison with Mara. Fighting the stench, Renmark tries to circle into a better attacking position to strike at the offending creatures. "Sairi, back up a little and give me some room!"

a) If d is still standing - move around to F2 and hit d with his ranseur.
b) if d is down, Renmark waits and see if Sairi takes down p.
b1) Is p is not down, Renmark stabs at p.
b2) If p is down, Renmark readies an action to attack sk if it moves to within 10'.

Attack with ranseur (either on d, p or as AOO on sk)
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-09-29, 10:03 AM
A pulse of dark energy washes over the combatants. Mara's allies feel nothing but a brief, harmless chill - but the animals convulse in pain upon contact with the sinister force.

Renmark shrugs off the stench, moves north, raises his ranseur and slashes downward - neatly decapitating the animal that tried to hamstring Sairi just moments before.

a
b
c
d
e
f
g
h
i
j
k
l
m
n
o

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#

#

R

#

~

~
#

#

%
#

~
~
#

+

M
J

S
p/
sk

%

~
#

#

#
~

=

~
#

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

% is a corpse of some kind. The closer one appears to be a dead dog.

Concerning combat: You act in the order in which you post. You don't have to wait for any of the other players to act first - this is one of the benefits of group initiative; and this will hopefully speed up Combat for PbP enough that we can progress somewhat smoothly.

Sethain
2014-09-29, 05:03 PM
Every single sense that Sairi had felt like it was going to upchuck all at once as the horrid stench blasted her in the face.. thankfully, her fortitude won out, and she was able to remain un-nauseated. It was only a moment after that did she suddenly catch sight of the creature rapidly biting at her ankles!.. which thankfully, proved ineffective as the gnawing creature couldn't pierce the brawler's leather armor.

"Gah! These things might as well be undead, gods!" she snarls, and nods to Renmark as he calls out for her to back up. "But first..." she turns down toward the offending creature whom first tried to rush her down, and raises a fist, shouting out as she pours all her strength into attacking it once before stepping back five feet to give Renmark and the others room to work.

Power Attack against 'p/': [roll0]
if hit, take: [roll1] Damage
Combat Expertise and Fighting Defensively have been disabled and Sairi is back to normal accuracy, however, she is calling Power Attack on one unarmed strike before using her 5-foot Step to back off to square G4. -Was- going to use my movement action to use Martial Training and get a temporary combat feat, but there's only two enemies left so I'll hold off on that for now until it's necessary. I've only got 3 uses per day of it right now.

raspberrybadger
2014-09-29, 11:31 PM
Jarlindur is confident that he need not waste magic on such foes. Instead, he wades in with his spear.

I'm assuming that Sairiri has dropped the p so he's attacking the sk. The spear is a reach weapon, so he need not block the doorway. It looks like Sairiri will still be in the way of a charge though.

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-09-30, 01:59 AM
Even though she was surprised by the quick reaction of the animals, Sairi manages to avoid all of their attacks. After Renmark cuts down a dog, Sairi regains her bearings and punches the other animal next to her with a mighty shout.

Her attack strikes true, and the feral pig slumps to the ground, its head lolling aside and blood leaking out of its snout. The martial artist steps back, leaving room for Jarlindur.

The arcanist obviously prefers the smell of books to the rather earthy odour of rabid animals and their droppings; but despite looking slightly ill, he bravely raises his spear and enters the position just vacated by Sairi. A quick thrust at the black-and-white-striped animal is foiled by his weak constitution - and his brief foray into melee combat is punished by a well-aimed stream of musk with an truly awful smell.

The animal then moves forward and enters Jarlindur's space.

a
b
c
d
e
f
g
h
i
j
k
l
m
n
o

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#

#

R

#

~

~
#

#

%
#

~
~
#

+

M
S

Jsk
%/

%

~
#

#

#
~

=

~
#

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

The corpse in the door is actually not quite dead yet, but KO and bleeding.

Concerning combat: You act in the order in which you post. You don't have to wait for any of the other players to act first - this is one of the benefits of group initiative; and this will hopefully speed up Combat for PbP enough that we can progress somewhat smoothly.

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-30, 04:45 AM
Mara shakes her head laughing at the groups fate.

"I hope he prepared prestidigitation to deal with the smell after this." She laughs. "Renmark, kill the thing already before it stinks us all!"

She uses her words to inspire Renmark!

+2 morale bonus on attack rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws for 1 round!

VinGoodman
2014-09-30, 09:57 AM
Renmark shakes his head at the unexpected complication. "I hope word of this never reaches pa," the young ranger muttered under his breath as he drops the ranseur, steps up and attempts to remove the pest from the struggling arcanist.

Renmark drops his ranseur, steps up to G3, and attempt a grapple barehanded.
Q: Does this provoke AOO from a tiny creature 5' away with no reach out of its square?
Q: Doe Renmark get flanking bonus?

Grapple attempt with the +2 morale bonus: [roll0]

As he tries to lock the little critter in place, Renmark calls out for a bit of help. "I'll hold him steady. One of you come take care of it!"

Sethain
2014-09-30, 01:49 PM
Nods as Renmark manages to grapple with the last remaining, foul smelling creature, stepping up to prepare a final attack against it. "Just hold it right there. I'll handle this." she steps up, and brings her fist back, pouring all her strength into the attack once again.

Power Attack once again, [roll0]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-01, 01:23 AM
Sairi strikes at the skunk, but misses.
Jarlindur musters his fortitude, endures the stench, moves back and attempts to poke the little creature with his spear - without success. Perhaps the wizard's saying "fighting should be left to fighters" is true?

The surprisingly nimble creature glares at the ranger, hisses and wriggles free from its grasp before moving back to its lair...

a
b
c
d
e
f
g
h
i
j
k
l
m
n
o

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#

#

)

#

~

~
#

#

R
%
#

~
~
#

+

M

S
sk
%/

%

~
#

#

#
~

=

~
#

#

J

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

The corpse in the door is actually not quite dead yet, but KO and bleeding.
) is the ranseur Renmark dropped recently.

-------------------------
The skunk escapes the grapple, then moves back into the eastern room. It provokes an AoO from Sairi AND Jarlindur. Renmark is unarmed and doesn't threaten, so he can't take advantage of this opportunity.

If both of you miss, the skunk moves to M5.

Sethain
2014-10-01, 02:25 AM
Sairi growls in annoyance at the creature constantly blowing their attacks off, "Alright, I've had enough of this thi- hey!!" she shouts at it as it attempts to scamper off, "Where the hell do you think you're going?!" she snarls and runs after it, aiming one more blow at it, once again striking with all her might!

Rolling for Power attack... again. If this misses Sairi is going to need to rethink her life.

[roll0]
If hit, take: [roll1] damage

VinGoodman
2014-10-01, 07:19 AM
Embarrassed and angry that a mere skunk should be capable of eluding his grasp, Renmark draws his greatsword and chases after Sairi and the retreating skunk. Perhaps we should convince this crazy good skunk to accompany us on our travels... Renmark shakes his head at the thought as he takes a swing.

Going forward I'll roll a crit with all my attacks just in case.

Attack: [roll0]
Crit: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

raspberrybadger
2014-10-01, 10:17 PM
Jarlindur really hopes Renmark can take the thing down. He's gotten a little more realistic about his own chances, but he doesn't want to feel useless, so he prepares to attack the thing if the thing somehow survives Renmark's attack.

if necessary at all, move action into reach, then
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-02, 02:45 AM
As the skunk flees back into its lair, both Sairi and Jarlindur reflexively attack it - but the tiny animal manages to avoid both spear and fist, again.

Renmark is annoyed that such a puny animal escaped his grasp, and chases it down - a swift slash with his greatsword neatly bisects the nimble creature.

A few rats and small spiders carefully approach - ready to flee at a moment's notice, but apparently ready to munch on the fresh corpses all the same. They seem to pose no threat to the adventurers who carefully enter the room and look around...

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#

#

)

#

~

~
#

#

%
#
M
S

~
~
#

+

%/

%R

~
#

#

#
~
J
=
%
~
#

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

% is a corpse of some kind. You can see a dead dog in H3, a dying pig in I4, a dead goat in L4, and a dead skunk in M5.
) is the ranseur Renmark dropped recently.

-------------------------
Perception checks for the new room:
Renmark:
[roll0]

Mara:
[roll1]

Sairi:
[roll2]

Jarlindur:
[roll3]

Upon closer examination of the room, all of you notice that the pool of water actually goes below the wall to the south.
Perhaps one of you wants to dive into the filthy water and look where this passage leads?

VinGoodman
2014-10-02, 03:43 AM
Renmark stares at the once formidable skunk before sheathing his sword and collecting his ranseur. Returning to the room, Renmark takes a moment to scout about the northern door before returning his attention to the pool of water. He prods the filth-ridden water aimlessly. "Any of you feel up to checking where this water goes?"

In case you need a separate roll for checking and listening through the northern door.

Perception: [roll0]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-02, 04:37 AM
You hear nothing behind the northern door.

Renmark has a +6 Swim modifier(+8 without armor)
Sairi has a +2 Swim modifier(+3 without armor)
Mara has a -2 Swim modifier(+0 without armor)
Jarlindur has a -1 Swim modifier

That means Renmark is the most qualified person to explore south...

raspberrybadger
2014-10-02, 12:21 PM
Jarlindur replies "There might be something interesting there, but I don't know how to swim. If someone did want to go, the rest of us could hold onto the other end of a rope tied around the waist. Then if something went wrong we could haul the person back? It might be easier just to ignore the water."

VinGoodman
2014-10-02, 12:37 PM
Realizing he may be as good a swimmer as any of the rest of the party, Renmark takes a reluctant look at that filth-riddled water before removing his backpack and taking off his armored coat. "That's a great idea with the rope. Here, help me with this." Renmark takes the rope out of his backpack, and with the team's help, manages a good knot around him. "Two tugs means I need help."

As Renmark takes a deep breath in preparation, he quickly exhales and turns back to the team. He extends his ranseur as he speaks, "Oh yeah, can any of you do something to light this for me?" He looks at Mara and Jarlindur expectantly.

Assuming he gets light on his ranseur, he takes a deep breath and enters the water. By the way, I rolled a 14 over at the OOC

Sethain
2014-10-02, 02:10 PM
Sairi grimaces a tad toward Renmark, unable to stifle a chuckle, "Oh.. I do not envy you, Ren. Hopefully whatever's on the other side of there is worth it." she grins as she nods, taking the other end of the rope that ties around Renmark's waist, "Well. Have a good dip?"

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-02, 04:19 PM
"Tug twice for 'Pull me back', Thrashing wildly also works."

raspberrybadger
2014-10-02, 06:33 PM
Jarlindur gets the hint and casts Light on the tip of the ranseur.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-03, 01:53 AM
After some deliberation among the group, it is decided that Renmark is best suited to explore what lies to the south.
The ranger removes his armored coat and his backpack, is secured with a rope and equipped with a glowing ranseur, and even gets a few words of encouragement from his allies who urge him onward, secretly relieved that they do not have to enter the filthy water.

Renmark grimaces, tests the pools depth with his weapon, and gauges the length of the pool. He then hops into water and dives below the southern wall...

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#

#

#

~

~
#

#

%
#
M
S

~
~
#

+

%/

%

~
#

#

#
~
J
=
%
~
#

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
#

#
?
?
#
R
=

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

% is a corpse of some kind. You can see a dead dog in H3, a dead pig in I4, a dead goat in L4, and a dead skunk in M5.
= is a pool of spoiled water. Probably unsafe to drink.
# are stone walls
? are areas you cannot see and have no information about.
# are stone walls covered with gold-rimmed red drapes.
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)

Upon emerging on the other side, you resurface in a small room spanning about 15'x15'. There is a stone statue(&) of a Frog located in a corner, with a golden crown on its head.

VinGoodman
2014-10-03, 07:20 AM
Renmark shakes himself free of some of the water. You're going to have to get wet again, you know. With a sigh, he takes a moment to survey the room. His eyes light up at the sight of the gold crown on the head of the frog's statue. After taking a careful look around the room for signs of traps and possible secret doors or mechanisms, Renmark leaves the crown and the status and heads back to the other room to relay his findings.

"Hey everybody! You won't believe what I found over in the other room!"

Perception [roll0]

It dawned on me. Can I just take 10 on swimming through this water?

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-03, 08:56 AM
There is a certain risk involved with swimming/diving through this particular pool of water, so taking 10 isn't possible in your case.

So, to save time, here's your swim check:
[roll0]

Renmark detects no traps, secret doors or other irregularities in this room, and returns to his allies without any further trouble.

VinGoodman
2014-10-03, 10:35 AM
Shaking himself free of some of the filthy wetness, Renmark brings his stuff closer to the door to the north before settling down to work on it. "So, what do you think? Looks like we've got a few options here."

Renmark, as a matter of habit, will do at least a look at the door and check the lock. Do you want me to keep posting these rolls every time Renmark pays a door a visit?

Perception [roll0]
Disable Device [roll1]

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-03, 11:59 AM
Mara thinks for a moment before replying.

"Sounds like treasure, so we have to get our hands on it somehow. I think it may be trapped or something. We should be careful. No reason to rush things. Let's sort out the nearby rooms first, then come back when we are more secure."

She then follows her companion to the north door and listens carefully.

Perception
[roll0]

raspberrybadger
2014-10-03, 01:59 PM
Jarlindur nods in agreement and says "Same procedure for this door then?"

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-04, 01:23 AM
The door appears to be unlocked and devoid of any traps.
Listening at the door reveals nothing but silence.

VinGoodman
2014-10-04, 01:39 AM
Renmark nods at the party. "I think there are no issues here. Same formation sounds good." He settles himself into position and readies his ranseur. "I hope we don't find that skunk's big brother on the other side of the door..."

Renmark will check to make sure the footing is adequate and position himself at M3.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-04, 06:44 AM
Mara assumes a ready position in K4.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-04, 01:34 PM
The party assumes their battle-tested formation again, Sairi performs a few kata and then opens the door.

The next room is completely empty; it appears to be a simple 15'x25' hallway with a wooden door at the northern end; and whoever passed through here last must've been in a hurry, since it hasn't been closed properly.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
/
#
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#

#

~
S

~
#

#

%
#

R~
~
#

+

%/

M
%

~
#

#

#
~
J
=
%
~
#

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

% is a corpse of some kind. You can see a dead dog in H9, a dead pig in I10, a dead goat in L10, and a dead skunk in M11.
# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue of a giant frog; with a gold crown

The northernmost door at L1 is slightly ajar; open, but concealing the view of what lies beyond it at the same time.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-04, 02:22 PM
Mara moves to the door we just opened and looks through carefully.

"Advance slowly, I smell a trap."

Perception check to search the room for traps.
[roll0]

VinGoodman
2014-10-04, 02:28 PM
Renmark nods at Mara's words of caution. Taking a deep breath and trying to release just a little bit of the tension fraying his nerves, Renmark looks for signs of irregularities as he moves toward the northern door.

Perception [roll0]

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-04, 02:32 PM
Mara waves for Sairi to follow Renmark, but extends her hand for Jarlindur to stay at the door with her.

"Let the two of them get to the middle of the room before we enter."

She then continues covering those that advance (if Sairi chooses to advance with Jarlindur) with her crossbow.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-04, 02:43 PM
Neither Mara nor Renmark find any traps - so far.
Their careful inspection does reveal scratch marks on the doors of the hallway - on the sides that face the newly opened room.

((=>the southern door of the hallway has scratches on its north-facing side; the door across the hallway has scratches on its south-facing side))

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
/
#
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

R
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

S

#
?

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
M/
#
#
#

#

#

~
J

~
#

#

%
#

~
~
#

+

%/

%

~
#

#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

% is a corpse of some kind. You can see a dead dog in H9, a dead pig in I10, a dead goat in L10, and a dead skunk in M11.
# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)

The northernmost door at L1 is slightly ajar; open, but concealing the view of what lies beyond it at the same time.

PLEASE state clear positions in your posts!

I've been placing you guys on the map based on guesswork so far - if you're not satisfied with your position, please say so.

Remember: You act in the order of your posting - no initiative or waiting for one another necessary until combat is joined.

Sethain
2014-10-04, 04:42 PM
Sairi slowly advanced through the hallway, keeping her defensive posture as she stepped through; her senses on alert as the possibilty of a trap was made apparent. "Gotcha..." and she continued on with Renmark, making her own observations.

(Moving to K4 in time with staying one square behind Renmark, or stopping at the square behind him wherever he chooses to stop.)

Making a perception roll, [roll0]

raspberrybadger
2014-10-04, 09:22 PM
Jarlindur nods to Mara and says "Very well. I see the logic - either a trap or a secret door seems likely here." He then waits to see if the others trigger something.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-05, 12:44 AM
As Renmark continues his search and reaches the middle of the hallway, something stirs from its rest - the doors of this room slam shut with force, and the walls, ceiling and floor burst into flame!

Amidst the initial confusion, a translucent figure rises from the ground; a vaguely humanoid apparition that completely ignores the other inhabitants of the room.

Instead, it shoots panicked looks at the closed doors, spins around itself before it breaks down completely - clutching its head and screaming as the flames on the ground reach up and set it on fire.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
+
#
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

G
R
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
S

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
M+
#
#
#

#

#

~
J

~
#

#

%
#

~
~
#

+

%/

%

~
#

#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)

G is a ghostly, burning humanoid(screaming, cowering)

---------------------------------
Mara needs to make a DC 12 Reflex save; if she fails, she takes [roll0] bludgeoning damage and is shunted to L6.

If she succeeds, she can jump out of the door's way before it slams shut - either to K6, L6, M6 or M8.

Everyone inside the room needs to make a DC 11 Will save.
Everyone inside the room takes 1 fire damage at the start of his/her turn.

VinGoodman
2014-10-05, 08:45 AM
"NO!" Renmark shouts as he sees the doors slam shut. He rushes toward the northern door, pulling out a sack as he goes. As he gets there, he uses the sack as a make-shift glove and tries to open the door.

WILL [roll0]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-05, 01:23 PM
You recognize that the flames are a mere illusion. The heat, however, is very real - you take 1 fire damage at the start of your turn.

The door is firmly closed and resists your attempt to open it.

You can attempt to force the door open - a Strength check.
You can attempt destroy the door - it is a simple wooden (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/damaging-objects) door, about 1 inch thick.

VinGoodman
2014-10-05, 02:16 PM
"What sort of trickery is this!?! The flames are not real, yet I still feel the burns?" Renmark puts all his might into it and attempts to break down the northern door.

Strength check to break down door: [roll0]
+2 if I can use my crowbar here

Sethain
2014-10-05, 04:29 PM
Sairi, caught off guard by the sudden appearance of the blazing inferno, lets out a cry of shock as the molten heat hits her and Renmark; the shutting doors trapping them both inside! "Gaahh!! GET THAT DAMN DOOR OPEN NOW!!" the human calls out in a growing rage as the illusionary fires release the all very real heat.

Seeing her companion struggle with the door, Sairi throws caution to the wind and charges for it herself, "Forget the lock! SMASH IT OPEN!!" and makes a powerful attack against it, pouring her strength into a mighty blow once more.

Sairi is making a charge attack against the door (+2 To Attack, -2 to AC), with full Power Attack (-1 to Attack, +2 to Damage)

Roll for AC breach: [roll0]
Roll for damage against the door: [roll1]

raspberrybadger
2014-10-05, 09:08 PM
Jarlindur hears Sairi's call, and is about to hit the door in front of him with a spear, when he feels stupid and realizes that this is really not going to help. So he gets out his skeleton key and sees if it can be put to use.

Should be 5' step to the door and two move actions. Disable device DC [roll0], assuming there is even a keyhole.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-06, 08:17 AM
As the supernatural manifestation triggers, the southern door slams into Mara and pushes her into the room.
Still reeling from the physical blow, she hears the shouts of her companions who try to open the northern exit, while a ghostly, flaming person appears in the middle of the room and begins to scream in pure terror. The oppressing heat in the room does its part to make concentration difficult, the entire hallway is bathed in flames, and a loud *crack* tells of Sairi's mean punch against a defenseless door.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
+
#
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
S
R

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

G

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

M

#
?

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#

#

#

~
J

~
#

#

%
#

~
~
#

+

%/

%

~
#

#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)

Renmark 11/12 HP
Sairi 11/12 HP
Mara 6/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Mara is up to act; we have combat rounds, and Renmark, Sairi and Jarlindur have acted already.
She still needs to make a DC 11 Will save to disbelieve the flames.

Jarlindur is startled, but acts quickly: Reaching for his skeleton key, he attempts to unlock the door...to find that the lock is too complex.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-06, 08:56 AM
Mara gasps in pain as she gets thrown into the room by the door. She hisses in irritation as the room is enveloped in illusionary fire.

She yells to her companions "Ren, back - not forward. Come over here and force this one so we don't end up with Jar cut off from any support. Sai, keep smashing that one! I'll heal before any of us get seriously hurt by the heat."

Her words inspire Ren to better force the door back towards the room they came from, granting him +2 to all skill checks, saves, ability checks, and attack rolls. (3 uses left)

VinGoodman
2014-10-06, 09:12 AM
At Mara's words, Renmark takes a quick look and notices Jarlindur is not with them. "This is not good. Sairi, let's go take down the other door." Renmark races across the room and begins trying the crowbar on the southern door.

Renmark moves to M6 and works on the door with the crowbar.

Strength check, with the +2 crowbar bonus and +2 Mara bonus: [roll0]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-06, 09:20 AM
Mara recovers quickly from her surprise, and inspires Renmark to break down the southern door - but even with divine aid, he fails. The heat continues to blister the three trapped adventurers, and Jarlindur hears muffled screams and some shouting through the wooden door. The tiny animals and vermin hiding in the hay piles move as far south as possible, fleeing from all the commotion that is disturbing their fragile peace.

"It burns...it burns..everything will END IN FIRE!"

The burning apparition in the room interrupts its regularly scheduled screaming for a service announcement.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
+
#
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
S

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

G

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

M
R
#
?

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#

#

#

~
J

~
#

#

%
#

~
~
#

+

%/

%

~
#

#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)

The northern door appears to be heavily damaged.

Renmark 10/12 HP
Sairi 11/12 HP
Mara 5/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Renmark has acted; Sairi/Mara/Jarlindur can act in this round.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-06, 11:01 AM
Mara winces at the screeching of the figure in the middle of the room. She stops for a moment to examine it closely before pushing out some positive energy to counter the heat damage.

Knowledge religion check
[roll0]

channel positive energy into healing
[roll1]

"Keep working on the doors please. I have decided this room is not, infact, very fun."

raspberrybadger
2014-10-06, 01:24 PM
Jarlindur doesn't really have the body for brute strength, but eh, it's worth a try, right? He puts away his key and tries to burst the door.

Strength check [roll0]

Sethain
2014-10-07, 11:34 PM
Sairi, a bit too focused on bashing down the first door (and already heeding to Mara's called out advice) continues her assault on the northern door, "You go take care of that one! Quick! I'll keep working on this one!" pounding away again to try and free herself and her friend from the illusionary fires.

Another attack against the door, power attack as usual

[roll0]
If it hits, the door takes another [roll1] damage

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-08, 01:33 AM
Mara tries to recall her religious training amidst the chaos and heat, and identifies the ghostly apparition as a Haunt (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/haunts) - an evil spirit or malevolent force bound to a certain location, who in turn influences an area and manipulates it whenever it manifests. Notably, Haunts lose their sense of self over time, and there are some disputes amongst religious scholars wether they are to be counted among the regular undead at all.

This particular haunt appears to retain many of the traditional traits of the undead - perhaps it is still vulnerable to holy water or positive energy?
Unwilling to waste any more time on a mere possibility, Mara turns inward and channels some of her faith into a pulse of healing energy that soothes the burns of the three trapped adventurers.

Sairi punches the northern door again, which shows several cracks, but still bars their way out of this room.

Meanwhile, Jarlindur does his best to break down the door from the outside, but apparently physical exertion is not the way of the wizard. He can only hope that whatever is happening inside the room that has swallowed his companions leaves them alive...

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
+
#
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
S

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

G

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

M
R
#
?

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#

#

#

~
J

~
#

#

%
#

~
~
#

+

%/

%

~
#

#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)

The northern door appears to be very heavily damaged.

Renmark 12/12 HP
Sairi 11/12 HP
Mara 7/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

VinGoodman
2014-10-08, 02:38 AM
"Why...won't...it...budge!" Renmark grunted in frustration as he continues trying to get through the southern door.

One last attempt with the crowbar before the greatsword is coming out...
[roll0]

Sethain
2014-10-08, 05:02 AM
"C'mon Sairi... one more, one more should do it..!" the human woman spoke to herself as she reared herself back, and let out another shout as she sent a powerful blow toward the persistent door once more.

Another attack in the door, hoping for max damage!

Accuracy: [roll0]
If hits, take: [roll1]

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-08, 08:31 AM
Mara sighs as her burns and bruises heal, but the irritating itch of the burning room returns.

"Hey, guys, I'ma try to deal with the spirit in the middle of the room. Maybe sending it on to it's maker will at least get rid of the heat. Keep on with the doors in case this goes badly."

She walks up to it and mutters a spell, gritting her teeth through the pain.

"Cure light wounds."

Concentration check for continuous damage (DC 11)
[roll0]
Touch attack roll
[roll1]
Damage roll
[roll2]
Willsave DC 13 for half damage to the undead.

Burned the spell slot used for doom.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-08, 10:34 AM
Renmark tries to break down the southern door again, but fails. The true origin of the scratch marks on the door becomes horribly apparent...

Sairi punches the northern door again, and finally manages to break the wooden obstacle to their freedom. As the door is destroyed, the heat escapes the room in a rush and the translucent ghost vanishes...

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#

#
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
S

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

M
R
#
?

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#

#

#

~
J

~
#

#

%
#

~
~
#

+

%/

%

~
#

#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

% is a corpse of some kind. You can see a dead dog in H15, a dead pig in I16, a dead goat in L16, and a dead skunk in M17.
# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)

° is a large portrait, mounted on the wall just below the ceiling(~17'-20' elevation)
^ is a slightly raised platform.

The northern door has been destroyed.

Renmark 11/12 HP
Sairi 10/12 HP
Mara 7/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Mara retains her spell, as Sairi acted before her and defeated the haunt by destroying its physical vessel.

A new room is revealed, about 25'x25', illuminated by torchlight as the other rooms before.
It contains three small platforms that are slightly elevated compared to the rest of the room; and a large portrait of a wizard with a crooked nose, 'villian'-styled goatee and evil moustache is hanging on the northern wall.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-08, 10:49 AM
Jarlindur tries once again to break the door down.

Strength check [roll0]

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-08, 11:01 AM
Mara sighs with relief. That whole situation was really irritating.

"Hold please. Let's not get involved in another room before we gather the party back again. Let's see about opening the south door. I have 5 more uses of channeling. Should I top us off and take care of these burns or wait until we suffer a little more damage?"

She then proceeds to the south door to see if it is now unlocked.

VinGoodman
2014-10-08, 11:03 AM
With the stress suddenly vanishing, Renmark takes a deep breath and calms himself, before returning to the task at hand to get through to their separated comrade.

Without the stress, would taking 10 for a 16 (+4 str, +2 crowbar) be enough to get through? Or 18 with Sairi coming to help?

Just in case, here's the next couple of rolls, without tapping Mara:
Str+crowbar: [roll0]
Str+crowbar: [roll1]

(+2 on those with Saira if he can make the aid another check and comes to aid)

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-08, 11:09 AM
Mara begins thinking out loud.

"I think we all need a way to get through a door in a hurry. Ren and Sai can batter the doors down, but maybe the rest of us should come up with something. The last thing we need to is get separated."

Sethain
2014-10-08, 03:27 PM
Sairi sighs in relief as the northern door finally collapses into a heap of wood and splinters. She flexes her fist and begins to make her way back to the group now that the Haunt had evidently vanished. "Need help there?" she asked completely straight faced as she approached Mara and Renmark. She approaches Ren, taking time to assist in forcing the door open with the crowbar.

Strength Check: 1d20+3
Assisting Renmark

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-09, 01:52 AM
With the departure of the burning spirit, whatever supernatural force that held the doors closed is gone.

Renmark forces the door open on his fourth attempt, without needing any assistance. Some relief spreads through the party as the four adventurers are once again reunited. Who knew that simple doors could prove to be such tenacious opponents?

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#

#
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

M

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

S
R
#
?

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#

#

~
J

~
#

#

%
#

~
~
#

+

%/

%

~
#

#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

% is a corpse of some kind. You can see a dead dog in H15, a dead pig in I16, a dead goat in L16, and a dead skunk in M17.
# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)

° is a large portrait, mounted on the wall just below the ceiling(~17'-20' elevation)

The door at L 7 has been destroyed.

Renmark 11/12 HP
Sairi 10/12 HP
Mara 7/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

raspberrybadger
2014-10-09, 12:06 PM
When the door comes down, Jarlindur says "What happened there? And how did the room know to close?"

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-09, 12:20 PM
"Evil ghost thing turned the room into an oven. Had to smash the door to get it to stop."

raspberrybadger
2014-10-09, 02:47 PM
Jarlindur looks to the side for a moment then replies "That was... unexpected. Not sure how we stop something like this next time. We could try jamming open doors before entering. Not that we need to with this one." He points to the destroyed door as he says that. Then he moves on to the next room.

Advancing to K6

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-09, 04:28 PM
"Tomorrow I will dedicate some magic to making holy water. Handing that out should solve the problem nicely."

VinGoodman
2014-10-09, 09:35 PM
Renmark nods at Mara's suggestion. "I had expected danger, but a skunk and a door?" The young ranger shivers at the thought of what greater dangers may lie ahead. "I sure hope I shake the jitters out soon and act like pa trained me properly. He certainly taught me better than this," Renmark acknowledged reluctantly. "Shall we go see what's in that new room Sairi opened up for us?"

With that Renmark makes his way into the new room to have a look around.

Renmark moves to M6

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-10, 05:56 AM
Mara nods and follows him, keeping an eye out for trouble and searching for traps.

Mara moves to K6.

Perception check
[roll0]

VinGoodman
2014-10-10, 06:31 AM
As Mara enters the room, Renmark inches forward to make room for her.

Renmark moves up to M5, giving M6 to Mara (Jarlindur is already at K6).

Perception [roll0]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-14, 09:32 AM
Three of the four explorers enter the next room, stop for a moment to admire what appears to be a vainglorious, exaggerated portrait of an archetypical evil wizard.

Mara and Renmark notice some faintly glowing letters on the southern wall - a closer look reveals some arcane marks covered by dust. After some puzzling, they notice a pattern among them...all arcane marks are either blue, green or red...

naetitErn "!" em
"ofr !me "orkW
Crtaf! rof "em"

The three platforms are decorated with small engravings.
The blue platform at K3 shows a man playing a fiddle and a woman speaking and gesticulating towards a small group.
The green platform at L3 shows a woman counting coins and a man pointing at a large signboard in front of a group.
The red platform at M3 shows a man fletching some arrows, and a woman carefully mixing alchemical ingredients.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

R

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

J

M

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#

#
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

S

#
?

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#

#

~

~
#

#

%
#

~
~
#

+

%/

%

~
#

#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)

Renmark 11/12 HP
Sairi 10/12 HP
Mara 7/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

----------------------------------

You may attempt a Linguistics check to decipher a scrambled message if you cannot do so yourself.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-14, 11:55 AM
"Jar, you are our linguist, what do these marks say?"

raspberrybadger
2014-10-14, 12:15 PM
Jarlindur takes a close look at them and then states "Assuming they are in the common tongue, the blue reads 'Entertain me!', the green reads 'Work for me!', and the red means 'Craft for me'. This proposed text is the only remotely likely explanation of the letters we have, and moreover agrees well with the pictorial representations for the illiterate."

If there's anything I missed there, linguistics [roll0]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-14, 12:43 PM
As Jarlindur solves the minor riddle, the portrait of the evil wizard suddenly speaks!

"I am Marvin the Magnificent, the judge of your skills.
Blue and Red open the way, Green leads to treasure,
and failure will be punished!"

Jarlindur is correct.

Renmark 11/12 HP
Sairi 10/12 HP
Mara 7/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

VinGoodman
2014-10-14, 03:15 PM
Renmark looks at Jarlindur appreciatively. "That was some impressive riddle solving!" He takes a moment to mull the portrait's words. "What does that mean? Are we supposed to do as these commands say? How?" The intrepid ranger turns his attention back to Jarlindur, hoping for some sense of guidance.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-14, 04:22 PM
Jarlindur replies "That is only the text of the riddle. As for the answer, at a guess I would say one of us must perform the listed actions atop on of the platforms. I would say someone would need to play or sing a song for the first, put money on the second, and craft something on the third. Presumably some minimum quality is required, and failure leads to an attack or a trap or some such. Which of us is best suited for music? I have minimal theoretical knowledge of many crafts, though I lack tools and training, so if someone has tools that would be for the best."

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-14, 05:04 PM
"I was told I had a good voice when I was a child, but I have never tried to train it."

VinGoodman
2014-10-15, 04:44 PM
Renmark looks on helplessly as Mara and Jarlindur discuss the groups options. "I've got nothing, I'm afraid. But, let me see what I have in the pack that may help."

He takes off his armored coat and removes his backpack and he sits down. After a bit of shifting to get comfortable, he starts rummaging through his supplies. "Let's see here, I've got a crowbar...ooh, a grappling hook...no...this is no good...here are some little tools* I keep around for...you know...stuff...hmm...could use this dagger may be..."

Thieve's tools, good for fine work of various sort if one is creative.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-15, 08:40 PM
Jarlindur looks dubiously at the supplies, then says, slightly deadpan, "You know, let's try the singing instead." He nods respectfully to Mara, and says "If you would."

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-15, 08:47 PM
Mara shuffles her feet nerously before chanting a quick prayer and muttering to herself to psyche herself up.

"Here it goes, an old church song"

She places herself in front of the entertainment pedistol and sings

"Money makes the world go around
…the world go around
…the world go around.
Money makes the world go around
Of that we both are sure…"

Perform check
[roll0]
Bonuses - +4 cha, +2 inspirational words (3 uses left) and +1 from guidance

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-16, 02:56 AM
As Mara steps on the blue pedestal to sing her improvised tune, the evil wizard portrait smiles briefly, before adopting his usual haughty sneer.

"You have been entertaining. Now, go on...there's still working and crafting to do!"

His words are accompanied by an ominous *Click* that seems to originate from behind the northern wall.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-16, 04:08 AM
Jarlindur just stares for a moment before saying "Thats... not creepy at all. Wait, yes, yes it is. At least it worked. You have quite the talent at singing. Thank you for taking the risk to test the theory. Shall I test the crafting route? And can you assist me with that magic as well?"

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-16, 05:54 AM
Mara mutters a prayer to his good fortune (May the fickle markets be kind). She encourages him right as he starts"Go for it Jar!"

+3 to his next check. (2 more uses)

"By the way, I think I can pull of a little accounting work if someone has paper and charcoal. That may be enough for the 'work for me' post"

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-16, 07:07 PM
Seeing her companion's delay, Mara decides to take matters into her own hands. She takes some of the party rope and cuts a section of it off. Once she has the section, she unravels it into fibers. Once she has fibers she blesses herself and psyches herself up before weaving the threads into string.

Craft (string)
[roll0]

VinGoodman
2014-10-16, 08:18 PM
Renmark looks from Jarlindur and Mara. "You two are...talented! That was awesome!"

He scratches his head as he ponders on the last of the puzzles...if only there was something he does for a living he can demonstrate.

Sethain
2014-10-16, 10:18 PM
Sairi had entered the room along with the trio and inspected the same strange markings.. before 'Marvin' opened up with a schpeel about each task before them. Sairi had to let out a little snicker, "'Marvin the Magnificient'? Seriously?" she remarked with a tad hint of Snarky wittisism.

As the group wnet about performing the various bits of work for the differing puzzles Sairi thought to herself about her own experience and skills.. shrugging. "I'll just let you all handle this.. I got nothing to offer."

VinGoodman
2014-10-17, 07:48 AM
Renmark frowns at the lack of useful equipment in his backpack and the now shorter rope. "Well, we just have one more to figure out. Judging by our lot, we may not have too much luck with it though. May be if we all help whoever decides to act out this last one, we just might get by." The look on Renmark's face shows too much doubt behind the suggestion.

I don't know Sairi. I'm as stumped as you. I was going to offer to aid another on the other two tasks, but it looks like we managed without it. If three of us assist whoever is the wisest among us...may be?

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-17, 08:04 AM
"Well, I don't think any of us has the skills to do a real job. Maybe we can cheat our way through. Can we disable the mechanism to open the door?"

VinGoodman
2014-10-17, 08:18 AM
Renmark frowns as he studies the mechanisms, trying to piece out how this works. "I don't know...is this powered by magic or is it purely some mechanical thing that triggers the portrait?"

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-17, 08:56 AM
Mara also closely examines the system.

Perception
[roll0]

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-17, 12:15 PM
Mara's face lights up. "Wait, I know what I need to do to work! The oldest profession! You are all just lucky I'm such a pretty girl and the church trained me in this kind of thing"

She mumbles a slightly different prayer (enhanced diplomacy) and encourages herself with rousing words.

"Trade negotiation, the first form of profession!"

diplomacy roll
[roll0]

Using enhanced diplomacy, inspiring words (1 use left) and silver tonged haggler (4 uses left) for +4 to her +7 mod.

VinGoodman
2014-10-17, 01:43 PM
Renmark's jaw drops wide open as he stares at Mara doing her thing... :smalleek:

Then, he looks over toward the portrait...

Mara's the hero of the day!

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-18, 03:28 AM
Mara, upon seeing the indecisiveness of her allies, proves her creativity and feazes (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/feaze?s=t) a short bit of rope, before re-tying it into a simple string.

"Bravo! A good piece of craftsmanship, though its actual usefulness may be limited. Perhaps you can sell it as a souvenir?"

The portrait applauds mockingly, though another ominous *CLICK* behind the northern wall signifies Mara's success.

A silver key drops from the ceiling, hitting the ground with a soft *clink*ing sound.

As if inspired by her previous successes - and the portrait's off-hand comment, the resourceful cleric immediately advances to the third platform, turns to her nearby companions, and declares: "Okay, I'm selling this marvelous, hand-crafted souvenier for 1 silver piece. Anyone interested?"

"So that's how you earn a living...interesting! Here's your reward!

With a rumbling sound, a stone panel in the northern wall shifts aside, revealing a narrow alcove containing...a 15'-long ladder??

--------
Mara and Renmark stare intently at the wall, the alcove and the portrait itself but see nothing that hints at mechanical triggers. A few moments later, Jarlindur scans the room with Detect Magic and determines that the portrait and the platforms are magical. The ladder remains ordinary wood.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

R

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

J

M

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#

#
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

S

#
?

#
#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#

#

~

~
#

#

%
#

~
~
#

+

%/

%

~
#

#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)

° is a large portrait, mounted on the wall just below the ceiling(~17'-20' elevation) It emits a faint magical aura.
^ is a slightly raised platform. It emits a faint magical aura.

Renmark 11/12 HP
Sairi 10/12 HP
Mara 7/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Pathfinder has rules for Haggling/Bartering: Those involve Appraise, Sense Motive, Knowledge, Bluff and Diplomacy. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/diplomacy)
Nonetheless, the test requires only a single check at DC 10(for profession) or DC 15(for something else), so you pass.

The ladder seems to be a wooden ladder; it weighs 30 lbs, is 15' long and has steps in 1' intervals.

VinGoodman
2014-10-18, 07:26 AM
Renmark looks at the key and the ladder. "Do you think...no...could this be what we need back in that first room?"

He takes a moment to make sure nothing seems like a possible exit from here. Then, with a mighty, audible grunt, he pockets the key AND lifts the ladder. "Perhaps it's time to gather some things together, like that crown, and go try that door again? This ladder may just be long enough for those wires and the drapes, too."

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-18, 07:50 AM
"The evil wizard guy said treasure. I wanna find treasure. Though I say we shouldn't go up until we have cleared out this floor. If we are not systematic about this kind of thing, we will miss stuff. Lets see if we can find where this key goes."

Mara looks for a keyhole in the room and or any other interesting features.

Taking 20 on perception with guidance

Then she turns to her companions. "That was just checking. I think this goes to the first locked door we found. Want to wander back and find it? Maybe explore the other side or try for that crown"

raspberrybadger
2014-10-18, 04:13 PM
Jarlindur says "I'm not as sure things right near the entryway are likely to be so valuable it's worth the time and risk to be extremely thorough though. Still, it won't hurt to check back with the first room, and we already know how to get to the crown."

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-18, 04:41 PM
Mara shrugs. "I haven't burned through half my charge yet. I'm not ready to find a campsite just yet. There is a door west back in the first room, as well as that locked door we couldn't find a way through. What do you bet that this puzzle was linked to one of those wires we saw. I bet the other door leads to another puzzle. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm here for treasure."

raspberrybadger
2014-10-18, 07:44 PM
Jarlindur replies "Understandable. I was thinking the treasure would be better higher up. I still have enough magic to clear out any number of guardians, but I have yet to master the art of summoning things capable of handling traps. I agree - a puzzle seems likely. As does another trap. If the trap does nothing you cannot heal, or if we detect and disarm it, then we get more treasure. The risk is in the 'if'. Still, we dealt with the first trap on this level well enough. We can check out the other branch."

Sethain
2014-10-18, 10:33 PM
Seeing her companions finish the puzzle without the need for much assistance she approached (moving to L6) and joined in the conversation.

"Well then sounds like we will be taking our business back entrance-wise. I'm all for it; probably left a bit more then just the crown back there." she nodded, pointing a thumb over her shoulder, "Oh, and Ren may have to go swimming again." she chuckles.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-18, 11:31 PM
Jarlindur says "Off we go then." and heads for the entrance room.

(say, G 15)

VinGoodman
2014-10-19, 12:20 AM
With the key (and ladder) in hand, Renmark's attitude lightens, and he whistles softly as he returns to the main entry with the group. With the ladder and the group's help, the happy ranger takes one last look at the wires before checking the key on the door.

Renmark's at D14. Unless he notices anything that gives him pause or if anyone in the group stops him, he'll do one last check and test the door with the key, before taking down the drapes.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-19, 04:48 AM
The group searches the northern room, finds nothing new in the freshly revealed alcove(aside the wooden ladder), and eventually return to the entrance of Jacob's tower.

Renmark tries to unlock the northern door with the newly acquired key, and succeeds!

To his chagrin, behind the door...is another door. The magical wires that run along the walls are connected to it, and it has no keyhole or other outward sign of a lock - but no handle or doorknob either. It appears to be made out of metal.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#

#
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#

R

#

~

~
#

#

J

%
#

~
~
#

+

S

M

%/

%

~
#

#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)

° is a large portrait, mounted on the wall just below the ceiling(~17'-20' elevation) It emits a faint magical aura.

Renmark 11/12 HP
Sairi 10/12 HP
Mara 7/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

*Silver key
*1 red drape with gold fringes(weight: 20lbs, worth 30gp)
*1 wooden 15'-ladder(weight: 30lbs, worth ???)

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-19, 05:27 AM
"All right, do we try the west door or try for the crown. If we try for the crown, lets drag a knotted rope through the water so whoever follows can use it to drag themselves along."

VinGoodman
2014-10-19, 03:22 PM
Renmark stands up and scratches his head in confusion. "Who in there right mind builds two doors one right after another like this?" Then he remembers the puzzle room they just came from. "Oh, right. Figures."

"Think the other key may be somewhere on the other side of this floor?" Renmark brainstorms as he gestures to the western door. "Perhaps we should explore that direction a bit and see if we get lucky."

With that thought, Renmark repositions himself in preparation of heading west. "Same formation?"

Renmark leaves the ladder over at G14, heads over to C15 and readies his ranseur.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-19, 06:08 PM
Mara nods. "Sure, sounds good." She remains in E16

raspberrybadger
2014-10-19, 06:34 PM
Jarlindur replies "Mostly the same plan, but right before we go I should summon an eagle. It will only last for a minute, but that should be long enough."

Before the door opens, Jarlindur is at E18 with his longspear, and he uses a point of arcane pool to summon an (augmented) eagle to C17, duration 1 minute.

Sethain
2014-10-20, 02:30 AM
Seemed the plan of action was to take the western door now. Nodding to the group's formatjon Sairi took a moment to prepare her defensive stance and moved to the door.

"Ren, give me some room to move back." she spoke to the ranger as she stroke the air to enter a defensive stance; warming herself up for the impending encounter.

"Just say the word and we will see what's behind door number one."

Sairi is activating Combat Expertise and Defensive Fighting; -5 to attack accuracy and Combat Maneuvers and +3 to AC. moving to B16

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-20, 05:55 AM
"Jar, hold off on summoning just yet. Be ready to cast if we see a threat past the door though. No need to waste magic unless we see a threat."

Mara is suggesting that Jar ready an action to summon rather than summon before we open the door.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-20, 04:26 PM
Jarlindur replies "Eh, all right. If there's a threat I can put an eagle behind them that way I guess."

Waiting around like everyone else then, rather than getting out an eagle.

Sethain
2014-10-20, 07:47 PM
Sairi nods as the group was ready to, and keeping her defensive posture.. she reaches for the door to open it.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-21, 01:45 AM
The group prepares to explore the west wing of this dungeon floor...

After a brief discussion on the merits on conserving magic - would any spells be cast at all by the time they completed this floor? - they assembled in their tried-and-true "let's open the door and see what's behind it"-formation.

Sairi steeled herself, preparing herself for another possible skunk, practiced a few defensive katas... and opened the door.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

&
#

R

%
#

~
~
#

#

/
S

M

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

J

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

% is a corpse of some kind. You can see a dead dog in N15, a dead pig in O16, a dead goat in R16, and a dead skunk in S17.
# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue
S 22 has the form of a giant frog; with a gold crown

[ is a 15'-long wooden ladder.

The door at R 7 has been destroyed.

Renmark 11/12 HP
Sairi 10/12 HP
Mara 7/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

*Silver key (used to open door at K 13)
*1 wooden 15'-ladder(weight: 30lbs, worth ???) (currently in J 14)

The newly revealed room spans 25'x25' and houses 12 humanoid statues of rough design; each is about 4' high, with muscular features and gemstones as their eyes.

Like the other rooms, it is well-lit by torches that rest in 10' high sconces near the doors(at C 13, E 13, G 15 and G 17).

A simple wooden door is located at D 13, leading north.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-21, 04:49 AM
Jarlindur is confident he is ready for just about any kind of fight... and then there's nothing. All right, so there could be an invisible monster, but mostly... nothing. Which means... he speaks up, saying "This could be a trap... so how do we do this?"

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-21, 06:00 AM
"Let me try something, then we go in slowly as a group, looking for traps."

Mara then moves forward to H15 before she lines up a clean shot and shoots the statue at F17 with her crossbow.

attack roll
[roll0]

Damage?
[roll1]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-21, 06:09 AM
Mara hits the statue, and the bolt breaks upon impact.
The statue appears completely unharmed.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-21, 06:18 AM
Mara grins and gives off an amused sigh. "Just checking."

VinGoodman
2014-10-21, 12:40 PM
Whatever it was Renmark was expecting, a room full of statues was clearly not it. The ranger eases from his combat posture and scratches his head. "What is going on with this tower?" He chuckles at Mara's attack at the statues. Before entering the room and looking at the statues. Eventually, he makes his way towards the northern door. "Keep an eye on the statues for me, ok?" With a grin, he begins studying the door for traps before checking the door to see if it's locked.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-21, 01:45 PM
Before he can enter the room Mara stops him. She slides her dagger into the door between the hinge and the wall, carefully securing it so the door is wedged open.

She then waves Ren forward. "There, no more doors closing on us."

raspberrybadger
2014-10-22, 01:54 AM
After Renmark goes to the northern door, Jarlindur takes his position inside the room. He's still worried this is a trap, but he doesn't want to look stupid by saying something and then nothing happening.

Sethain
2014-10-22, 05:14 PM
Sairi peers around the room searchingly as they enter, still keeping her defensive stance and turning herself on a swivel. "Anybody else getting a little creeped out by those statues?" she grumbles as she steps into the middle of the room..

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-23, 02:39 AM
After shooting a statue and jamming the door with a dagger, the adventurers enter the new room.

Renmark searches the northern door for traps, but finds none; it appears to be a simple wooden, unlocked door.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&
R
&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

J
S

/

M

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

% is a corpse of some kind. You can see a dead dog in N15, a dead pig in O16, a dead goat in R16, and a dead skunk in S17.
# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

Renmark 11/12 HP
Sairi 10/12 HP
Mara 7/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

VinGoodman
2014-10-23, 09:47 AM
"Hmm, this is surprising. There's no problems here. The door should just open." Turning back to Sairi, he offers a suggestion. "Ok, with the statues here, it may get a bit hard to maneuver. How about I back up a bit, but give you enough room in case we need to hightail out of this room after seeing what's behind the door?" He steps back and stands by the statues, giving an involuntary shiver as he closes to them. What's with this wizard and statues.

Renmark backs to E15 (C15 if I missed someone standing at E15), and has his ranseur at the ready.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-23, 12:23 PM
Jarlindur is already in position more or less, so he says simply "Next door then?"

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-24, 06:42 AM
While the four adventurers maintain their careful paranoia and Mara remains outside the room, the statues appear to stare at them - unblinking, unmoving, with strange "eyes" - small gems that glitter in the torchlight.

Jarlindur eventually recalls something from his education - the statues resemble earth elementals (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/elemental/elemental-earth)!
But why would anyone craft statues in their likeness?

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

R
&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

J
S

/

M

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

Renmark 11/12 HP
Sairi 10/12 HP
Mara 7/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-24, 10:57 AM
Mara moves to E16 to catch up with the group.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-24, 11:53 AM
In the moments it takes for the others to get into position, Jarlindur looks around the room one more time, then remarks casually "The statues are shaped like earth elementals. So if they activate, chances are that's what we'd be fighting. Not friendly with that number. Perhaps it's a warning of what is up ahead. Still, I figure the wizard who made this place knew all about elementals, and is just messing with us. Seems to be a pattern, that."

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-24, 12:29 PM
Mara enters the room, and Jarlindur shares his knowledge with his allies.
As if his words had been a bad omen, the floor trembles briefly. Instantly, the four adventurers look at the statues, trying to determine which statues, if any, begin to show any signs of life...

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

R
&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

J
S
M

/

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

Renmark 11/12 HP
Sairi 10/12 HP
Mara 7/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

Find the foe!
You won Initiative. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18306705&postcount=100)

You may attempt a perception check as a move action (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/perception) to find the disguised elemental(s) among the statues.
You may also attack whatever statue you think is actually an earth elemental.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-24, 05:09 PM
Mara grits her teeth. "If anything in here is alive, this will show us what! Also, fall back to the door, it makes a good choke point!"

Mara uses a standard action to channel negative energy to harm living things excluding the party
[roll0] DC 13 willsave for half damage.

She then uses her move action to retreat back to I16 (she has a 20ft move due to her medium armor)

VinGoodman
2014-10-24, 06:49 PM
Renmark, unsure where the elemental is coming from, drops his ranseur as he quickdraws his greatsword and readies a swing at any statue around him that moves.

Ready action with greatsword, to attack with power attack at whatever statue within his striking distance moves.

raspberrybadger
2014-10-24, 06:53 PM
Jarlindur decides that if there are multiple earth elementals here, there's no time to lose. First, he looks around to see if he can determine the location of the threat. Second, he reaches out to the upper planes and brings a real image of an eagle to his side. Lastly, he cries out "What is a choke point to something that can go through rock?"

Perception check [roll0]

eagle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/eagle/summoned-creature-eagle), using the numbers in brackets because it is augmented.

If Jarlindur knows the location of no elementals, eagle goes to C17.
If the per check or the channel worked, eagle goes right next to the nearest one, between him and it. If there's just one, 5' step away from it. If he's right next to one, 5' step away from it assuming there's a safe place to go.=

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-25, 01:27 AM
Mara channels negative energy, hoping to provoke a reaction from whatever elementals that were hiding among the statues.
No statue as much as twitches upon the burst of negative energy, however, and she performs a tactical retreat - giving her allies more room to maneuver.

Renmark dropped his ranseur and looked around, quickly drawing his greatsword and readying himself to strike at any statue from the northeast corner upon the first sign of movement.

Jarlindur summoned celestial aid, failing to discover anything unusual among the statues as he informed his companions of the elemental's movement capabilities.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

R
&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

J
S

/

M

%/

%

~
#

#
&
e (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/eagle/summoned-creature-eagle)

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

Renmark 11/12 HP
Sairi 10/12 HP
Mara 7/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

Find the foe!
You won Initiative. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18306705&postcount=100)

You may attempt a perception check as a move action (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/perception) to find the disguised elemental(s) among the statues.
You may also attack whatever statue you think is actually an earth elemental.

Sethain
2014-10-25, 03:02 PM
Sairi looks about the room, attempting to discern the hiding elementals.. a frown burrowing across her brow as she searches intently. "Whatever is in here, we will find it.." she calls out. (Making a perception check as a move action)

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-27, 04:54 AM
Sairi looks around, trying to find any statue that looked different from the others, but fails to spot any earth elemental(s). As such, she adopts a defensive stance, waiting for the opponent's first move...

Suddenly, the statue at in the southeast corner springs to life, moving through the wall before it emerges next to Mara. Apparently somewhat vengeful for the burst of negative energy a few moments before, it takes a mighty swing at the cleric.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

R
&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

J
S

/
E
M

%/

%

~
#

#
&
e (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/eagle/summoned-creature-eagle)

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

E is a small earth elemental.

Renmark 11/12 HP
Sairi 10/12 HP
Mara 7/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

Sairi's perception check:
[roll0] vs disguise 26 - no chance of success; natural 20 doesn't trigger anything special on skill checks

Sairi is NPC'd to take Total defense; readying would require an complex action and trigger(s), delaying is impossible as she has already begun to act.

-----------------------
The earth elemental moves from F 18 to H 16. It attacks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18309593&postcount=105), hitting Mara for 11 damage.

VinGoodman
2014-10-27, 11:48 AM
"Aha! There you are...oh oh." Renmark leans right and considers flicking a chakram at the earth elemental, while worrying about the fate of his fallen comrade.

Quickdraws and fires off a chakram, and readies his greatsword.

[roll0] [roll1]

Oops, forgot Sairi has a readied action there...hold the chakram...Renmark can miss the next turn if there's an open lane for the shot...

raspberrybadger
2014-10-28, 12:18 AM
Jarlindur decides he needs to act decisively, even if it's a little odd. Earth elemental, so stabbing it, stunning it, and tripping it... probably not. Blinding it is. He moves ten feet closer and launches a colour spray at it.

DC 16 wil save vs unconscious, stun, blind. I know the stun doesn't work, and I'm guessing the unconscious doesn't, but the blind should still work.

Also, the eagle should get to fly over and attack now.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-28, 02:47 AM
Mara is knocked out by the earth elemental - but as the statue moves, the celestial eagle finally spots its target. With a piercingcry (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSGFatM1ktU), it flies after it, attempting to swipe it with its talons...but fails to penetrate the rocky exterior of the elemental.

Renmark briefly considers throwing a chakram, but as the eagle provides cover to the elemental, he decides against this course of action.

Jarlindur steps forward and unleashes a cone of clashing colors...catching both his summoned creature and the earth elemental with his spell.
Both are overwhelmed by his magic and lose sight and consciousness.

Meanwhile, Mara is unconscious and bleeding.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

R
&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

S
J

/e (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/eagle/summoned-creature-eagle)
E
M

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

E is a small earth elemental.

Renmark 11/12 HP
Sairi 10/12 HP
Mara -5/9 HP (dying)
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

Eagle will save:
1d20+ vs DC 16
If it fails, then KO/Blinded/Stunned for [roll0] rounds, and blinded for [roll1] rounds thereafter.

Earth elemental has failed, and is KO/blinded for the duration above.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-28, 06:39 AM
Mara valiantly continues to bleed.
Currently -6hp
[roll0]DC 10 to stabilize, -7 hp on failure.

- Yay, I'm not dead, now kill it and stabilize me!

VinGoodman
2014-10-28, 08:56 AM
Renmark rushes over and smashes the downed elemental with his sword, before kneeling over by Mara and trying to patch her up as best as he could. "Stay with me here! C'mon Mara!"

I think Mara stabilized herself, so Renmark can't do much else for her. If I can coup de grace the elemental, with a crit power attacked greatsword swing it'd be 4d6+18. Hopefully that'll be enough to smash it to bits. If not, I'm sure Sairi will take care of the rest.

VinGoodman
2014-10-28, 10:15 AM
Realizing she's down for the count, Renmark pulls out his potion, muttering all the while. "For emergency use...this counts as an emergency, right?" He carefully rests Mara's head in a slightly elevated position and administers the liquid.

1d8+1

VinGoodman
2014-10-28, 10:16 AM
Let's try again.[roll0]

raspberrybadger
2014-10-29, 10:51 AM
Jarlindur sees that Mara is still down after a healing potion, and shudders realizing just how hard she must have been hit. He then speaks up, saying "She got a potion, so she's not going to die or anything, but we're going to have to guard here until she wakes, aren't we? I'll guard this room so nothing can get through the door, and the statues can't move without me seeing it." He then stands right where he colour blasted the elemental, mostly looking at the far door but occasionally looking back towards Mara and the entrance room.

Sethain
2014-10-29, 10:16 PM
Somehow having spaced out, Sairi missed the elemental coming to life to clobber poor Mara over the head just before Denmark countered with a devestating strike of his own, destroying the elemental almost instantaneously.

Feeling a tad stupid for having missed the fight and failing to protect Mara, Sari moved to join the rest of the group. Turning to look between Jarl and Ren she spoke, "Good idea.." in response to Jarl's suggestion to stay put while Mara mended, "Maybe we should wait and rest in the entryway in that case? I'll keep an eye out on the Eastern side.. we do still have unexplored territory there."

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-30, 11:14 AM
One hour passes uneventfully, as the adventurers wait for Mara to wake up.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-30, 11:37 AM
Mara wakes with a groan.

"Uhhh... I'm alive. Darn, that thing hit like compound interest."

She mumbles a prayer and heals herself with magic

Losing magic weapon for sure light wounds.
[roll0]

Then she pulses her aura to heal the party
[roll1]

She then stands, brushing herself off. "So, what was that thing, and did anything happen while I was out?"

VinGoodman
2014-10-30, 11:58 AM
Renmark sighs as Mara comes to. "It was a big hunk of rock, and we did manage to smash it to bits, but not before it got you." The ranger takes a quick look around, taking comfort that no other elementals decided to make a similar entrance in the interim. "Perhaps we should take the time and smash all the statues...although I'd hate to see that fine artwork go to waste. If we can carry them, someone might pay for them. I wonder if we can get someone to buy that portrait from the other room, too."

"So, what do you think? Time to try that door again?"

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-30, 12:18 PM
"I'm good now, thanks for watching over me though. Lets carry on. I want to find the second key to this door. I can practically hear the treasure behind it, and it's saying 'Mara, your pockets look so nice, can we rest in them for a bit'?

raspberrybadger
2014-10-30, 01:03 PM
Jarlindur lets out some anxiety he hadn't realized he had when Mara gets up. He savours the rush of positive energy and the renewed feeling of health he gets from her channeling, almost losing himself for a moment.

Once the conversation turns to treasure, Jarlindur replies "If we can't carry the statues, perhaps just the gems from them. We can do that on the way out though. They look heavy. Meanwhile - time to try the door." He's already in position, so he waits for the others.

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-30, 01:35 PM
Mara shakes her head. "Nope, one thing first! Clear the room!"

She then takes 20 on a search check

VinGoodman
2014-10-30, 02:32 PM
Renmark grins at the sight and sound of a healthy Mara. "I think you mean Renmark's pockets, as I am clearly the much sturdier ride for the treasure."

With a nod to the group, Renmark retakes his position, and waits for Sairi to open the door...

Ok, back to E15 Renmark will go, having sheathed his greatsword and with his ranseur ready, and waiting.

Sethain
2014-10-30, 04:58 PM
Sairi nodded to the party as they seemed to be taking the more direct route of simply continuing onward. "Sounds good.. and thanks for the touchup, Mara," he nods, brushing her shoulder off a bit and stretching her arms. She takes a moment to warm herself up once again and moves towards the door at the nortern end of the statue room, "So then... onward and forward, and be prepared to smash any more of those statues if they come back to life." she nods, reentering her defensive stance and preparing to open the next door once the party was ready.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-31, 07:46 AM
Mara discovers a hidden door to the south of the room with the statues. It appears to be locked.

Sairi opens the northern door, revealing...a room divided by walls that partially hide it from her view. In the middle of the room is a sign with something written on it, but she cannot read it from a distance. At the end of the middle hallway is a framed painting on the wall, depicting some sort of map.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
?
#
#
#
?
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?

#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
#

#
?
?
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&
S
&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

R
&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

J

/

%/

%

~
#

#
&

M

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue
The others have the form of a small earth elemental, with gemstones as eyes.

# is a large framed painting on the wall, at roughly 10' elevation.

Renmark 12/12 HP
Sairi 12/12 HP
Mara 9/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

Fouredged Sword
2014-10-31, 07:58 AM
"Hold up! No entering the room until precautions are taken!" Mara retrieves her dagger from the east door and uses to jam the north door open. She then pears carefully into the room in an attempt to read the sign before entering.

Perception check
[roll0]
taking twenty if that fails

She then searches for traps.

[roll1]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-10-31, 08:20 AM
Mara fails to read the sign at a first glance, but then stubbornly glares at it for two minutes...

She reads two words. One is in common, the other in a language unknown to her.
After that, she starts looking for traps...and finds no traps at the entrance of the northern room. To check further, she would have to enter it...

Malebolge ????????

Please list the languages you know - perhaps one of you can read the other word. If anyone is trained in Linguistics, please tell me your modifier - I'll roll a check in secret.

Mara checks for traps, and finds none in D 13 and D 12.

VinGoodman
2014-10-31, 08:42 AM
"Ahem, I know Dwarven. Perhaps?" He pokes his head through and strains to read the words...

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-01, 05:12 AM
Unfortunately, the sign is not written in any dwarven dialect Renmark knows.

VinGoodman
2014-11-01, 12:51 PM
After giving everyone a chance to stare into the room, Renmark looks over to his colleagues. "Any thoughts?" He steps into the room, and starts examining the new environment.

He wanders the room in a counterclockwise fashion, which doing the perception thing.

Sethain
2014-11-01, 03:30 PM
Sairi stares around the new room they had entered, hmm'ing softly.. this was just one puzzle after another. The group seemed focused on a nearby slab of written word, and she came in to inspect it closer. "I only know Common and Orcish.. but let's see.." she inspected the second word.

raspberrybadger
2014-11-01, 07:15 PM
Jarlindur looks carefully, then announces confidently "Infernal. That's the language. One I do not speak, but if this is another game involving words, I prefer that to mauling by earth elementals."

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-02, 01:38 AM
Sairi and Renmark enter the northern room...and discover more short hallways that lead to a framed painting on the wall at the end. They immediately halt their exploration, and report their findings...

Renmark doesn't spot anything out of the ordinary.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

R

S

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
/M
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

J

/

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

Renmark 12/12 HP
Sairi 12/12 HP
Mara 9/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

D 7 shows a map of an island. There is a mountain range in the middle, two unlabeled cities along the southern coast, and a smaller island to the north.
You may attempt a Knowledge(Geography) check to find out relevant information.

B 7 shows a Dwaven cleric holding a war hammer. He has many rings in his beard, and is wearing an ornate white smithing apron.
You may attempt a Knowledge(Religion) check to find out relevant information.

F 7 shows a formal portrait of a great king. With a short brown goatee, golden crown and piercing green eyes, he is a slightly unnerving sight.
You may attempt a knowledge(Nobility) check to find out relevant information.

B 13 shows a painting of a disturbing scene. Injured and terrified people flee from giant red humanoids in a great forest where snow-like ash is falling. In the background is a giant flaming creature with spiked armor and gauntlets.
You may attempt a Knowledge(Planes) check to find out relevant information.

F 13 shows a painting of meteor shooting through the sky and colliding with the planet, sending up a massive amount of debris and rubble.
You may attempt a Knowledge(History) check to find out relevant information.

-----------------
All Knowledge checks get a +2 bonus, and you may attempt Knowledge checks untrained, but are limited to information that is revealed at DC 10 if you have no ranks in the relevant field of knowledge.

-----------------
Traps: No traps were triggered from entering the squares D 13, D 12, D 11, D 10, C 10 and E 10.

raspberrybadger
2014-11-02, 04:32 AM
Jarlindur enters the room an begins applying his mind to the puzzle, letting the others worry about security for the moment.

He'd be at D11 I guess.

Geography [roll0] untrained
Religion [roll1] trained
Nobility [roll2] untrained
Planes [roll3] trained
History [roll4] untrained

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-02, 07:38 AM
Mara follows close behind. (d12)

She also examines the puzzle.

Geography [roll0] trained
Religion [roll1] trained
Planes [roll3] untrained

VinGoodman
2014-11-02, 09:18 AM
Glad nothing seems threatening, Renmark turns his attention to the puzzles as well.

Geography [roll0] untrained
Religion [roll1] untrained
Planes [roll3] untrained

Forgot the +2, so they're all 10's untrained :smallcool:

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-02, 09:48 AM
D 7 shows a map of an island. There is a mountain range in the middle, two unlabeled cities along the southern coast, and a smaller island to the north.
This appears to be the island of Kortos (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Isle_of_Kortos), and has nothing to do with Malebolge.

B 7 shows a Dwaven cleric holding a war hammer. He has many rings in his beard, and is wearing an ornate white smithing apron.
This appears to be a dwarven cleric of Torag (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Torag), and has nothing to do with Malebolge.

F 7 shows a formal portrait of a great king. With a short brown goatee, golden crown and piercing green eyes, he is a slightly unnerving sight.
This appears to be Lord Gyr of House Gixx, Primarch of Absalom (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Lord_Gyr). He has nothing to do with Malebolge.

B 13 shows a painting of a disturbing scene. Injured and terrified people flee from giant red humanoids in a great forest where snow-like ash is falling. In the background is a giant flaming creature with spiked armor and gauntlets.
This seems to be Malebolge, the 6th layer of Hell (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Malebolge), and that the creature in the back is Moloch (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Moloch), ruler of Hell’s armies.

F 13 shows a painting of meteor shooting through the sky and colliding with the planet, sending up a massive amount of debris and rubble.
This event was known as Earthfall (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Earthfall), and has nothing to do with Malebolge.

Some of you recall information about the paintings...

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

R

S

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#
J
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
/M
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

/

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

Renmark 12/12 HP
Sairi 12/12 HP
Mara 9/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

VinGoodman
2014-11-04, 03:32 AM
After some discussion with the teammates regarding the nature of the paintings, Renmark heads over to the painting of the disturbing scene and studies the painting and the areas around it more closely.

Heading to study the painting over at B13. I'll take 20 on this if I can. Otherwise:
Perception [roll0]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-06, 10:27 AM
Renmark enters the short hallway leading to the painting of Malebolge. Despite his careful inspection of it and its immediate surroundings, he fails to notice anything noteworthy.

Jarlindur steps up to the task, and the trained arcanist follows a certain hunch...which proves to be correct. As soon as he touches the frame and tries to move the large piece of art, he successfully overcomes an illusion.

"The painting is fake, a Silent Image covering something else...a map?

According to this map...*that* wall shouldn't be there."

He steps back, out of the hallway, and points east.

The ranger turns to examine the relevant section of wall, and doesn't notice anything.

"The map must've been placed to lead us in circles! This is a perfectly normal stone wall!"

With an exaggerated gesture, Renmark demonstratively leans against the eastern wall...and is surprised to find his hand breaking through a..."wall" made from papier mâché!

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#

#
?
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

S

R

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
J
#

#

#
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
/M
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

/

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

This appears to be the island of Kortos (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Isle_of_Kortos), and has nothing to do with Malebolge.

This appears to be a dwarven cleric of Torag (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Torag), and has nothing to do with Malebolge.

This appears to be Lord Gyr of House Gixx, Primarch of Absalom (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Lord_Gyr). He has nothing to do with Malebolge.

This seems to be Malebolge, the 6th layer of Hell (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Malebolge), and the creature in the back is Moloch (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Moloch), ruler of Hell’s armies.

This event was known as Earthfall (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Earthfall), and has nothing to do with Malebolge.

Renmark 12/12 HP
Sairi 12/12 HP
Mara 9/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

Willsaves in OOC:
Jarlindur succeeded his will save vs permanent Silent Image that covered the map. Renmark failed his save against a permanent silent image that disguised a Fake Wall (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/herbs-oils-other-substances#TOC-Paste-Paper-Wall)

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#

#
#
#
#

#
#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#

#

#
=
=
=
=
=
=
#

#
#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#
#

#

S

#

#

#
#

#
R
#

#

#
#
#
=
=
=
=

#

#
#

#
J
#

#

#
#
#
#
+
#
=
=
=
#

#
#

#
#
#
/M
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

/

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#
#

#
#
#
#

#
#
#
#

=

#
#

#
#

#
#
#
#

#
#
#
#

#
#

#
#

#
#
#
#

#
#
#
#

&
#
#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-06, 10:48 AM
Mara, now feeling the room is safe, retrieves her dagger and moves to H10, eyes open and mindful of her surroundings.

VinGoodman
2014-11-06, 10:53 AM
"Ooh, strange..." Renmark mutters as he peers down the hallway.

Peeking down the H hallway northward, then slowly working his way up to H7 so he can peek across the 6 hallway westward and as much as the G hallway northward as he can see. If the light is not running anymore, he asks if someone can light up his ranseur again so he can see as he moves about.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-06, 10:55 AM
Mara warns her allies.

"The builder of this place seems sadistic. Be careful touching things. He seems the type to trap the wrong answer."

raspberrybadger
2014-11-06, 12:44 PM
Jarlindur smiles at her and says "I agree. The power to make a permanent illusion could easily lead to some nasty traps in those other hallways with the wrong answers. And yet, he seems to like puzzles that actually have an answer."

Then, Jarlindur casts Light on Renmark's ranseur again and follows.

Following Renmark to H 9

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-08, 09:13 AM
Renmark slowly explores the new path behind the recently breached fake wall, heading north. No torches illuminate his way, but Jarlindur enchants his ranseur again, and he discovers a fork - one path leads north, the other west.

Mara and Jarlindur follow closely, while Sairi guards the rear.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

?
?
?
?
?
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#

#
#
#
#

#
#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
R
#
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
J
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

S

M
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

/

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

This seems to be Malebolge, the 6th layer of Hell (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Malebolge), and the creature in the back is Moloch (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Moloch), ruler of Hell’s armies.

Renmark 12/12 HP
Sairi 12/12 HP
Mara 9/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-08, 09:38 AM
Mara has an excited look on her face.

"Group up guys. We don't want to get spread out. Let's do our normal pattern."

She then waits for her allies to pass so she can take up the rear.

VinGoodman
2014-11-12, 11:08 AM
Renmark moves up and takes a quick look northward, before turning to the party. "Keep an eye out down this hall, and warn me if notice anything. I'm going to scout ahead and take a peek around the corner." He proceeds westward and peeks around the corner.

Move to H6, peeks north, move to C6, peeks around the corner.

raspberrybadger
2014-11-12, 06:02 PM
Jarlindur follows to where he can either support or see something down that other hallway.

G6

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-13, 11:39 AM
Renmark looks north, then turns west and moves along the path until it turns north. So far, the Map they discovered earlier proved to be accurate...

Jarlindur follows his ally and reaches the fork.

Just as Renmark reaches a section of the path that leads north again, he sees a starved-looking humanoid with sharp claws and teeth shuffling over the ground! It has a wicked gleam in its eyes and looks hungry.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

#
Gh

?
?

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#
?
?
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

#

#
?
?
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

#

#
?
?
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#

#
#
#
#

#
#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
R

J

#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

S

M
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

/

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

Renmark 12/12 HP
Sairi 12/12 HP
Mara 9/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

Renmark(and anyone else, upon seeing it) may attempt a Knowledge(Religion) check to identify the creature.

You won initiative! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?373678-Jacob-s-tower-OOC&p=18399000#post18399000)

You may act.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-13, 11:42 AM
Mara double moves to C6 and looks around the corner.

Knowledge religion check [roll0]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-13, 01:16 PM
The creature appears to be a ghoul (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/ghoul), an undead capable of paralysing its victims. Those unfortunate enough to be bitten by one may contract a disease that eventually turns them into ghouls.

VinGoodman
2014-11-13, 01:50 PM
"Everyone, back to the puzzle room! We need room to manuever!" Renmark yells as he pulls out a chakram and whips it toward the ghoul before gripping his ranseur and beating a retreat, hoping to lead the Ghoul back to more open space.

Favored Enemy! Quickdraw Chakram (FA), Attack with Chakram (SA), Grip Ranseur (FA) Move 20' to F6 (MA)

Chakram, favored enemy (+2 atk, +2 dmg)
Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Note: 10' reach weapon in hand for possible AOO

Hopefully, we'll be able to find a spot where we can all act without hindering each other too much. Let me know if you see something as we retrace our steps...

raspberrybadger
2014-11-14, 01:17 AM
Already to the rear, and feeling confident that he's fast enough to keep ahead just fine, Jarlindur yells back "What, and how many?" He then gets himself ready to summon an eagle as soon as he sees an enemy and an open spot behind it.

Readied action to standard action summon an augmented eagle.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-14, 02:39 AM
Mara catches up with the group, looks at the creature, and identifies it as a ghoul.

Renmark throws a chakram at it and immediately retreats to avoid retaliation.
Unfortunately, he forgot that his ranseur is the only light source nearby, and by retreating from the corner, the ghoul is hidden in the darkness again...

Jarlindur doesn't quite see what exactly is going on, but nonetheless readies himself to call upon divine aid.

Mara has been left undefended, and cannot see the ghoul as it charges (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18402609&postcount=153) her!

By luck or divine providence, its savage bite misses.

Jarlindur sees *something* attacking Mara, and calls another eagle from the celestial realms, which immediately proceeds to tear into the undead abomination with its talons.
Whatever foul magicks maintain this mockery of life fail under the eagle's assault, and it crumbles to the ground, finally put to rest.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

#

?
?

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#
?
?
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

#

#
?
?
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

#

#
?
?
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
%
#
#
#
#

#
#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
M

R
J

#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

S

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

/

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

Renmark 12/12 HP
Sairi 12/12 HP
Mara 9/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

The Ghoul is dead. Renmark illuminates only the corridor you are currently in, and G 5, G4, and B5. Does anyone have Darkvision?

VinGoodman
2014-11-14, 10:26 AM
As Renmark retreats, he sees Mara being left in the dark. "Drat!" He quickly retraces his steps, to see Mara with the ghoul fallen before her. "Great job!" He pats Mara on the back as he moves ahead of her, to make sure nothing else charges down the hall.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-14, 10:54 AM
Renmark notices his inattentiveness has caused Mara to be without lightsource.

So he promptly proceeds to leave Jarlindur in the dark by returning to the western corner of the room and moving north, apparently unaware that stone walls block the illumination his glowing ranseur provides.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#
R
#
?
?
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

#

#
?
?
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

#

#
?
?
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
%
#
#
#
#

#
#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
M

J

#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

S

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

/

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

Renmark 12/12 HP
Sairi 12/12 HP
Mara 9/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

The Ghoul is dead. Renmark currently illuminates B1-6, C 6, C 1 and D 1. Does anyone have Darkvision?

Jarlindur has currently NO Light at all and cannot see anything.

There are a bunch of penalties related to being in complete darkness(moving at half speed, being functionally blind, some others), but those are not relevant now.

Jarlindur can recast Light on his own location, but that will leave Renmark in the dark.
Perhaps some more coordination is in order - or someone goes back and grabs a torch from a lit room via ladder or Mage Hand?

raspberrybadger
2014-11-14, 07:53 PM
Jarlindur tries to keep up. He's not liking how little light there is - tomorrow he's getting dancing lights to supplement the light spell, but for now he needs to stay close to Renmark. Moving forward, he says "Mara, I can only keep up one light at a time. I don't suppose you've got one yourself?"

Moving to B3. If I count right, he can do that even at half speed for the bits that are in the dark.

VinGoodman
2014-11-15, 01:00 AM
As the group gathers closer to take advantage of the light emanating from the ranseur, Renmark turns the corner and peeks into the center of the room.

Heading to C1 and peeking into the center of the room.

raspberrybadger
2014-11-15, 01:16 AM
Jarlindur feels a sense of frustration as he tries to keep up with the light, but he chooses not to think about it. He's got to keep a look out for whatever threats the next room might pose.

Move to B1

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-15, 08:27 AM
Mara sees the frustration of her allies and waves her hands to gather them.

"Ok, guys, the light situation is frusterating and I for one am almost out of healing. This last fight could have turned very nasty. I say we rest for a night in the first room and tackle the rest of this floor in the morning. Thoughts?"

raspberrybadger
2014-11-15, 03:14 PM
Jarlindur speaks up, a little faster and louder than usual, saying "I don't think we need to stop. I've got spells and summons still. Just need to make sure an eagle takes the hits. The things can stay for a minute before returning to the celestial realms."

VinGoodman
2014-11-15, 08:41 PM
Renmark looks from one to the other with the conflicting opinions. "Well, if we really want multiple sources of light, I have a few things in my backpack." He takes a moment to fish out a torch from the backpack. "We could light this to give us a second source of light, but carrying this would hamper what I can do if something comes at us."

"I have a sunrod and a lantern, too." The ranger shrugs. "I see merits either way. I'm willing to push my luck a bit and at least see what's around this corner. What do you say?"

raspberrybadger
2014-11-15, 11:03 PM
Jarlindur says "How about I tie a lit torch to my spear. I won't really be able to use it like that, but that won't be much of a change. In a fight I pretty much have to use spells or celestial beings to have an impact anyway."

He then sets to work doing exactly that, then says "Thats two of us for pushing on. Mara, you all right with that?"

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-16, 12:02 PM
Mara nods. "Let me carry the torch. It won't stop me from holding my crossbow and I can drop it if I need to shoot. I take up the rear anyway, so best to have light at both ends of the line."

raspberrybadger
2014-11-16, 06:56 PM
Jarlindur takes that for consent for pushing onwards, and hands over the torch a little sheepishly. It would have looked more than a little silly.

VinGoodman
2014-11-16, 09:34 PM
With the group in apparent consensus, Renmark waits for the light situation to sort itself out before moving onward. He makes his way to the north wall, and picks into the center of the room.

Move to C1 and look into center of room.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-16, 10:45 PM
Mara lights the torch and follows 10ft behind him.

raspberrybadger
2014-11-17, 10:15 AM
Jarlindur packs himself in, wanting to be able to summon something before anything can attack if there are enemies up ahead.

Move to B1, similarly looking into the room

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-18, 11:08 AM
After some discussion, Mara holds a lit torch, and the group turns around the northwest corner to discover...a small room. It houses three chests that probably contain either treasure or unstable explosives.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

#
J
R

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

#
M
#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
%
#
#
#
#

#
#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

S

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

/

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

Renmark 12/12 HP
Mara 9/9 HP
Jarlindur 8/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-18, 11:10 AM
Mara waits for her allies to move forward. She moves to B2, closing the gap between her and the party.

VinGoodman
2014-11-18, 11:29 AM
"Ooh, treasure!" Renmark hesitates a moment, and decides care is needed here. He removes his armored coat and begins to approach carefully. "Can someone check to make sure we're not dealing with magic here before I blow us up here?" Renmark grins as he approaches the chests.

This warrants a take 20 on the search for traps, I think. Perception (take 20) +26 on each chest as we move from one to another. Here are the disable traps and unlocking locks:

Disable Trap 1(if any) [roll0] Unlock Lock 1(if any) [roll1]
Disable Trap 2(if any) [roll2] Unlock Lock 2(if any) [roll3]
Disable Trap 3(if any) [roll4] Unlock Lock 3(if any) [roll5]

I do NOT touch any chest that radiates magic! That should be enough rolls for our GM to let us know if anything happens here. I'm am hoping any bad rolls here coincide with there being no trap or lock. :smallcool:

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-18, 01:37 PM
All three chests appear unmagical and untrapped; but they are secured with well-made locks that resist some of Renmark's initial attempts to open them.

After careful inspection, he eventually manages to figure out one lock and open the relevant chest - revealing a harrow deck, a small glass vial containing powder, and a large number of silver coins - several hundred, at a glance, but counting them all would require a few minutes of your time.

The other two chests remain closed for now.

I used all 6 disable device checks for open lock attempts; only 1 was successful.
Feel free to try again.

VinGoodman
2014-11-18, 01:44 PM
Renmark pauses as he manages but one of the chest, but is able to confirm treasure lies within. After convincing himself there are no traps to worry about, he stands and circles up with the group. "I'm surprised there is no key in the room, but it may be in one of these chests. What do you think about taking these back to the main room we started in before we sort through what we have?"

If everyone agrees, Renmark will work with whoever can help, and carry/drag the chests back to the main room. If there are no harmful effects Renmark knows, he'll just keep trying until they pop open. I mean, I'll eventually hit enough 20's, no? :smallbiggrin:

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-18, 01:44 PM
I assume whoever has detect magic up has it still running. Are any objects inside the chest magic?

Ren should keep picking to try to open the other two chests. Mara gleefully steps over and starts counting the silver singing under her breath. "money money money, I love money"

VinGoodman
2014-11-18, 02:48 PM
Renmark definitely will keep trying. He would like more open space so he can see if/when bad things come at the group. Where we are is a bit congested.

raspberrybadger
2014-11-19, 12:16 AM
Jarlindur makes an attempt on the two unopened chests using his skeleton key. Mara... ok, she's bugging him, but she's a good person, and a girl needs her hobbies, right?

Device:

[roll0]
[roll1]

VinGoodman
2014-11-19, 12:35 AM
Renmark shakes his head as he resumes trying the locks, glad for Jarlindur's help. "Truth be told, I'm pretty eager to find out what's in these chests, too." With a grin to his mates, he moves the chests about to get better access, and begins to work on the last lock.

Here are three more tries:

Try 1: [roll0]
Try 2: [roll1]
Try 3: [roll2]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-20, 09:34 AM
Jarlindur's skeleton key manages to open the second chest, revealing...a lever. Apparently, the bottom of the chest has been removed and the chest affixed to the ground with some sort of alchemical super-glue.

Renmark manages to open the third chest after many attempts and discovers a second lever.

Perhaps the party has finally found a way to open the mysterious door in the middle of the tower's first floor?

VinGoodman
2014-11-20, 09:43 AM
Renmark cannot mask his disappointment at the lack of treasure in the other chests. "What? Where are the goods!" He pushes the two levers, half expecting the ceiling to crash in or the floor to open up and swallow them up as he does so.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-20, 10:23 AM
Mara shrugs. "I guess we pull the levers."

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-20, 10:45 AM
*Click* *Whirrr...* *Krk*

A few ominous sounds betray the working of some machinery hidden in the floor as the levers are pushed. Eventually, they stop and fade before a steady humming sound that is easily tuned out. The levers seem to vibrate slightly in their new position.

As far as the adventurers can see, nothing has changed.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-20, 10:51 AM
"Check the main room?"

VinGoodman
2014-11-20, 11:27 AM
"Ooh, yeah, sorry. Probably should have been more careful with things like that." Renmark smiles guiltily at his rash action. He looks about, and seeing nothing changing, he tries to pick up the chest to take with the group back to the main room. "Ooh, and let's not forget that crown in the hidden room!" Renmark smiles at Mara and Jarlindur as he makes a last check to make sure he's not leaving anything behind.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-20, 12:36 PM
"And we have a door unopened to the south of the west room (D19). We should also give the floor a once over to check for secrets, but that can wait until we are done with everything else."

raspberrybadger
2014-11-21, 12:10 AM
Jarlindur follows to the west room. He's going along, but his focus is on the main room's door. As often as he thinks what might be behind it, he reminds himself that the builder of the rooms so far has been demonstrably crazy.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-21, 09:18 AM
As Renmark attempts to move the chest, he realizes it is glued to the floor, like the other two chests which hid the levers.
He manages to pry it from the floor with his crowbar and some effort, eventually ties a rope around it and drags it behind him, as it is quite heavy.

Meanwhile, Jarlindur returns to the room with the five paintings of Malebolge...

and beholds a terrible sight:

http://www.giantitp.com/avatars/Zombie.gif
Sairi has succumbed to the terrible affliction known as Adventurers' disease* and turned into a zombie!

Before he can recover from the surprise, his former teammate charges him and delivers a vicious punch (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?373678-Jacob-s-tower-OOC&p=18434465#post18434465)!

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
%
#
#
#
#

#
#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#

R
#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
M
#
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

Z
J
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

/

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

Renmark 12/12 HP
Mara 9/9 HP
Jarlindur -1/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

The large chest weighs 100 lbs, and you have ~ 40 lbs worth of coins in there, +1 vial with a powder, and 1 harrow deck.

--------
Jarlindur takes 9 damage.

*Adventurer's disease: Causes are unknown. Common symptoms include the tendency to become socially withdrawn, nodding and agreeing to whatever the current party members decide, eating and sleeping as usual.
Further stages of this affliction are marked by drooling, steady mental degeneration until the subject finally turns into a zombie.

Sometimes, people who have recovered from this report they have been "AFK".

VinGoodman
2014-11-21, 11:03 AM
Renmark sees Jarlindur go down, shouts a "NO!" as he drops the chest, runs forward while drawing his greatsword, and swings at the offending...Sairi!? "Sairi! What happened to you!?"

Attack(Greatsword) [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-26, 06:54 AM
Mara moves to H8 and readies an action to cast sure light wounds on Renmark, so he can step back 5ft and be automatically healed if needed.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-27, 07:43 AM
Jarlindur is knocked out by Sairi's punch, and lies on the ground, bleeding.

Renmark advances and slashes at the zombified Sairi, but misses.
Mara moves closer and prepares to cast a spell...

The undead brawler retaliates with a flurry of blows - Renmark avoids the first attack, but not the follow-up.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
%
#
#
#
#

#
#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#

#
M
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
R
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

Z
J
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

/

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&

#

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

Renmark 5/12 HP
Mara 9/9 HP
Jarlindur -2/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

The large chest weighs 100 lbs, and you have ~ 40 lbs worth of coins in there, +1 vial with a powder, and 1 harrow deck.

Mara has unclear conditions for her readied action to heal Renmark; I'm assuming they are "if Renmark uses a free action to ask for healing", then she will cast CLW on him. She is already adjacent; Jarlindur is prone and KO in H10, Renmark moved to H9 to avoid provoking an AoO from Sairi as he attacked last turn.

If Renmark wishes, he can request healing and receive it before acting on his next turn.
--------

Jarlindur fails to stabilize.
Renmark takes 7 damage.

VinGoodman
2014-11-27, 09:16 AM
"This will not end well unless we do something. Jarlindur! Heal me and retreat to that looped path, up left and down right! I need to force her to come to me rather than fight toe to toe. She's too strong for this trading of blows." Renmarks lashes back with greatsword as he shouts out instructions, hoping against hope it's not too late to remember his pa's teachings.

Renmark will take the heal while striking back against the zombie with the greatsword, hoping against hope Jarlindur will withdraw so that Renmark can follow suit and see what the zombie does in response.

Greatsword Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

VinGoodman
2014-11-27, 09:19 AM
And the sword bites flesh. Hard!

Crit Check [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-27, 09:37 AM
Jarlindur is currently KO and bleeding to death. Mara is the one ready to heal Renmark.

Since the readied action's trigger was not fulfilled, Renmark is not healed.

And Sairi is UNDEAD, so you get another +2 to hit and damage...

Final damage from crit: 14(+2) + 15(+2) = 33.
Fast Zombies have 12 HP (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/zombie/zombie-fast), so it's safely re-dead.

Renmark shouts for healing, but somehow confuses his remaining two allies names.

Nonetheless, his hatred of undead allows him to strike true, performing a devastating attack that cleanly decapitates his former comrade.

VinGoodman
2014-11-27, 10:32 AM
Renmark apologizes sheepishly to Mara. "Sorry for mixing up your name and Jarlindur's back there." He scratches his head at the two bodies, and decides to leave the ally to Mara, who seems to have some healing ability left. Instead, the ranger steps over to the other side of the fallen ex-ally carefully. He prods the body of who once was Saira, and then kneels and then carefully examines the body.

Whew. I wasn't sure if we were going to make it there. Where the zombie caught us was not a good place. I was going to see about leading it around to an intersection where both of us can get at it. Glad we didn't have to try that.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-27, 12:44 PM
Mara moves over and heals her fallen ally with her last spell of the day.

[roll0]

If that fails to awaken him, she pushes out healing energy in her last channel of the day.

[roll1]

"Ok boys, we had rabid animals, undead, statues, and now ghouls and zombies. I am fresh out of healing. Anyone open to getting back to the main room and resting yet?"

VinGoodman
2014-11-27, 03:28 PM
Renmark nods sheepishly. "Aye. I think a time to rest is in order. Then perhaps collect the crown and check that southern door in the statue room?"

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-28, 03:10 AM
Mara's spell manages to heal Jarlindur enough for him to regain consciousness.
Renmark searches the corpse of his former companion, but finds nothing of interest apart from her ragged clothes.

Renmark is at 5/12 HP, Jarlindur at 3/8 HP, Mara at 9/9 HP, and Mara has 1 use of channel energy left.
Sairi holds no special loot.

Remaining points of interest:
*The door in the entrance room: - did the two levers do anything?
*The south-eastern room with the crowned giant frog statue - collect the crown
*The secret door to the south in the room with the earth elemental statues - what is behind it?
*The gemstone eyes in the room with the earth elemental statues - they could be valuable
*The red wall-carpets in the entrance room - they could be valuable
*The four false paintings of malebolge: The true one revealed a map. Perhaps the false ones deserve some closer inspection?

VinGoodman
2014-11-29, 10:39 AM
Renmark sighs for the fallen Sairi as he gathers up the chest and continues back to the main room. He looks furtively at the statues and the unopened door as he passes them on his way, half expecting them to jump at the party at any moment.

raspberrybadger
2014-11-29, 04:48 PM
Jarlindur can't get together the energy to protest. Instead, he says All right, but we take watch and make sure Mara sleeps. I've got a fair amount of magic left, and Renmark doesn't need it.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-29, 06:57 PM
Mara shrugs. "Rest is fine, but I really just need to wait until the market opens at dawn. That is when I get my energy refreshed."

She then leads her allies back to the first room and goes about preparing to rest. She sets up her tent and bedroll. She then fills her waterskin using magic and readies a ration to eat.

"You guys pack food? It will be lean eating, but I have a spare ration, and we can split the two three ways if needed."

VinGoodman
2014-11-29, 08:12 PM
At Mara's offer, Renmark's stomach gives an approving growl. The ranger plops down next to Mara and rummages through his backpack, eventually pulling out a package of bread, cheese and dried meats. He smiles at Mara and Jarlindur. "Food sounds really good about now."

Food and drink, rest and healing, and we'll continue on with the explorations?

Dr.Bakuga
2014-11-30, 02:57 PM
As the three remaining adventurers return to the entrance of Jacob's tower, they notice that the wires connected to the second door between the red tapestries at the northern wall are glowing.

They set up camp; a hearty meal and some rest seems to be a very welcome change from the various challenges and dangers of the dungeon.

After they decide on who takes first watch(Renmark), they attempt to get some sleep and recover from their wounds and mental fatigue...

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#
?
?

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

°

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

^
^
^

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
%
#
#
#
#

#
#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
#

#

#
#
#
#
#
#
#

#
?
?
?
?
?
#
#
#

#
#
#

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

%

#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
#
#
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?

#

#

#

#
?
?
#
+
#
?
?
?
#

#
?

#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#

#
&
&

&
&
#

[

#

~

~
#

#
&

&
#

%
#

~
~
#

#

/

R

%/

%

~
#

#
&

&
#
T
T

#
~

=
%
~
#

#
&
&

&

#
T
T
J

#
~
~
=
~
~
#

#
#
#
+
#
#
#
#
#
#
/
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

=

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#

&
#
?

?
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
#

#
?
?
#
#
#
#
#
?

# are stone walls
+ are doors(closed)
/ are doors(open)
& is a statue

Renmark 5/12 HP
Mara 9/9 HP
Jarlindur -2/8 HP

Loot gathered so far:

---------------
Mara is resting in her small tent(the four T's; it can be assembled in 20 minutes and has only enough space for 1 person).

The first watch passes uneventfully. You have entered Jacob's tower in the morning; and after Mara and Jarlindur have rested for 8 hours, the sun has set outside the tower, and the clear evening sky is glittering with many stars, which are unfortunately blocked from your view by the ceiling.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-30, 04:18 PM
Mara shrugs. She needs morning. No point in running around all night without healing spells. She leans back and gets ready for another set of watches while everyone waits for the markets to open.

VinGoodman
2014-11-30, 09:54 PM
Renmark nods at Mara. "Let's keep rotating watches and all get some rest in. Just let us know when you are ready to explore more Mara." The ranger takes the time to work out a rough estimate of the silver coins and stare at the vial. "I wonder what this powder is."

raspberrybadger
2014-12-01, 03:19 AM
Jarlindur feels all ready to go, but with the risk already more or less taken, it makes even more sense to let Mara rest some more. He nods at Mara and sets about the rotation.

Dr.Bakuga
2014-12-01, 05:55 AM
Renmark begins to count the many silver coins in the chest he was dragging around and manages -after some miscounting and re-counting- to gauge the number of silver pieces at 2000.

The powder resists his curious stare and fails to reveal anything about its nature. Perhaps an Identify spell or something similar could help?

Mara continues to wait for the morning...

More time passes.

During the night, however, the group's rest is disrupted by some very annoying screeching that makes sleeping impossible.

Mara and Jarlindur recover 1 HP from rest; Renmark has counted many coins; if Renmark doesn't sleep at all, he is fatigued in the morning.

Around Midnight, you are disturbed by some screeching sounds.