PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Help me bring my wood elf rogue to life

edge2054
2014-09-25, 11:27 AM
I made a wood elf rogue for an AL campaign down at the lgs. We're doing HoTDQ and I had a lot of fun last night.

So my character is a wood elf rogue and I'm fairly stealth oriented. I dumped CHA because I thought xenophobic wood elf. Last night I scouted ahead and helped the party ambush the camp I came across. The ambush worked beautifully. I don't want to say more because I don't want to spoil the adventure for anyone that hasn't played it.

Anyway I'd like to go Arcane Trickster at level 3 and I'm trying to justify that choice. I'm also trying to justify the use of thieves tools.

My background and stats are open to being changed as all of that stuff can be rebuilt between episodes.

My general idea for why my character is in the human lands is that his brother was captured or something and that he's looking for him. Maybe he was captured by the cult of the dragon. I don't know. Anyway I'm really looking for background suggestions that will help me flesh out my character because right now he's just generic elf guy with a bow.

Any advice would be appreciated.

hymer
2014-09-25, 11:33 AM
Justification for thieves' tools and arcane trickster, well... Was your mother a high elf locksmith/thief, perhaps? Did she travel the world and enjoy herself greatly until she ssettled down with your father, passing on some skills and aptitudes to you? Is your brother your half brother from her wilder days?
Just some thoughts.

MustacheFart
2014-09-25, 12:17 PM
Urchin background:

You were abandoned from a young age for one reason or another. During a difficult time another child of similar age came to your rescue. You became quick friends, declaring yourselves brothers. During your time on the street you frequented an old dilapidated shop run by a crazy old man. Often he would pass down lessons of trickery and deceit exposing weaknesses in others for overlooking the downtrodden. You've adapted these lessons in your own practices as you strive to find your adopted brother.

Your lack of charisma reflects your time on the street and a lack of social etiquette.

Done.

Ramshack
2014-09-25, 12:53 PM
Urchin background:

You were abandoned from a young age for one reason or another. During a difficult time another child of similar age came to your rescue. You became quick friends, declaring yourselves brothers. During your time on the street you frequented an old dilapidated shop run by a crazy old man. Often he would pass down lessons of trickery and deceit exposing weaknesses in others for overlooking the downtrodden. You've adapted these lessons in your own practices as you strive to find your adopted brother.

Your lack of charisma reflects your time on the street and a lack of social etiquette.

Done.

Plot Twist his Adopted brother didn't get captured by the Cult of Dragons, instead he took off to join them willingly. He knew your character wouldn't understand, but he felt he's been a holding you back for to you for too long and he saw this as an opportunity to join a group earn a wage and have a shot of becoming something more.

Also the old shop keeper could be an aging wizard that sold things like fireworks, tricks, candies and games etc. He often entertained the two kids from the alley with a small cantrip from time to time and gave them candies, maybe he used prestidigitation to make simple fare taste like royal feasts for you and this is where you picked up a basic knowledge of magic for arcane trickster.

Also the old man could have been the one that disapeared if you don't like the adopted brother route. Maybe the shop was empty one door and you only found a piece of parchment with the symbol of the dragon cult on it. Maybe he is investigating it, maybe he was hired on as a wizard mercenary, maybe he was captured for some piece of information the wizard learned in his adventuring days etc.

Mandrake
2014-09-25, 05:31 PM
Just a quick addition:

Arcane Trickster comes into play when you (in two levels) realize that mundane reasons cannot be enough to find your brother. Magical strategies of searching are way better. And you don't want to be tricked by some wizard, so you start learning magic too.

edge2054
2014-09-26, 08:56 AM
I think I'll go with the criminal background. The wizard will be an old gnome arcane trickster.

The two boys are the son's of a wood elf tribal chieftain. The tribe was wiped out by a roving orc tribe and the boys kept as trophies by the orc chieftain. The boys spent several years captive and the abuses they suffered at the hands of the orcs has led the older brother to be very protective of the younger one.

The gnome hears that the orc chieftain has an ornate dagger with a large emerald inset into the bone handle and decides to steal it. He encounters the boys before he finds the dagger and ends up sneaking them out of the camp, leaving the dagger behind.

He raises the boys as his own over the next twenty years in Baldur's Gate, teaching them the ends and outs of city life. After the gnome passes away the older brother decides to track down the orc tribe to steal back his father's dagger, claim his birthright, and rebuild the tribe. Not wanting to risk his brother's life, or potential capture and further abuse, he sneaks off without saying goodbye.

My character manages to track his brother to the town HotDQ starts in but loses the trail after the dragon attacks. He assumes that his brother has been captured during the attack by the cultists.

------------------------------
Hopefully that will work for the campaign, I missed the first episode so I'm not quite sure how it all fits together.

Ramshack
2014-09-26, 09:51 AM
Sounds solid! Enjoy!

edge2054
2014-09-26, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the help guys :) I appreciate it.