PDA

View Full Version : Optimization ArtOp III: Rhino Ronin

Fax Celestis
2014-09-25, 11:31 AM
Welcome to ArtOp, where we take a picture and make builds to fit the pic!

Unlike other competitions, this one is rather informal: there's no time duration and no scoring system aside from two things: style, and association with the picture. Yes, you could throw Wizard 20 at every ArtOp and come out okay, but where's the fun in that?

ArtOp III's subject:

http://i.imgur.com/qsCKO.jpg

Remember, we're using the build to tell the picture's story, not demonstrate how many times we can get the rules through the wringer.

ArtOp III will run until I feel like putting up ArtOp IV.

Happy Building!

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-25, 11:40 AM
Hm. He's lightly armored, but uses big swords, so I'm thinking Swordsage, maybe? And then either a Beastmaster dip or Natural bond for the Rhino (which they can get by 10th level via Wild Cohort, or can acquire via Beastmaster + Natural Bond).

dysprosium
2014-09-25, 11:43 AM
I first saw that picture in the ever popular katana chucker build.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-25, 11:50 AM
I first saw that picture in the ever popular katana chucker build.

Hm, that's quite the concept. Maybe a bloodstorm blade, then? The sheer number of katanas makes sense for that.

Also, since the swords are tied to the rhino, maybe he throws katanas from the rhino's back, while it tramples people...

dysprosium
2014-09-25, 12:03 PM
Hm, that's quite the concept. Maybe a bloodstorm blade, then? The sheer number of katanas makes sense for that.

Also, since the swords are tied to the rhino, maybe he throws katanas from the rhino's back, while it tramples people...

I think that was where the rhino came from in the first place. It was to carry all of the katanas that the chucker could chuck (which was a lot from what I remember).

Zaq
2014-09-25, 12:28 PM
He certainly takes the "golf bag of weapons" approach seriously.

Maybe he's a melee Artificer (so he can afford to fully enchant all those swords), and the rhino is a very cleverly crafted homunculus?

Starmage21
2014-09-25, 04:08 PM

Maybe he's a melee Artificer (so he can afford to fully enchant all those swords), and the rhino is a very cleverly crafted homunculus?

This is a core only high level fighter. He needs a different sword to overcome all the different kinds of DR.

Silver and Holy (Devils, Pit Fiend) Silver +1 Evil Outsider Bane Holy Masterwork Bastard Sword
Cold Iron and Holy (Demons, Balor and Marilith) Cold Iron +1 Evil Outsider Bane Holy Masterwork Bastard Sword
Epic and Unholy (Angels, the Solar) +4 Angel Bane Unholy Masterwork Bastard Sword
Adamantine (Golems and Constructs) Adamantine +1 Construct Bane Masterwork Bastard Sword

Jeff the Green
2014-09-25, 04:55 PM
Maybe something like Duskblade 3/Deadly Hunter Druid 7/Arcane Hierophant 10? The extra katanas are for Girallon's Blessing.

Perhaps a Duskblade 1/Artificer 16/Effigy Master 3, using Arcane Disciple (Envy domain) to get Simulacrum on the Duskblade list.

Zaq
2014-09-25, 05:06 PM
What good does Duskblade 1 give you? Don't forget that you can't channel until Duskblade 3.

Troacctid
2014-09-25, 05:09 PM
Looks like a Rough Rhino to me. I bet he incorporates firebending into his swordfighting technique.

Edit: Desert Wind Swordsage with mounted combat feats, and the rhino is a mundane mount trained for combat.

Thurbane
2014-09-25, 05:20 PM
Battledancer 1 (Cha to AC when unarmored)/Ranger 4/Beastmaster 10/Wild Plains Outrider 3/Fighter 2

Feats include Oversized Two Weapon Fighting and Natural Bond.

He wields any 2 of his swords at the same time. As suggested above, there are different materials and enchantments on them to be best used against specific enemies.

Jeff the Green
2014-09-25, 05:30 PM
What good does Duskblade 1 give you? Don't forget that you can't channel until Duskblade 3.

Actually, it doesn't give you anything other than BAB for the effigy master, and not enough to get a third iterative; that's just the line my brain was running on.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-09-25, 10:25 PM
What about Paladin 8/Beastmaster 1/Wizard 5-High One Warrior Wizard/Abj Champ 5/Mystic Theurge 1?

Human, Damaran
ST12 DX13 CN14 IN11 WS14 CH15

Class Paladin of Azuth 8
Flaws Wild (DR#329)
IN13
Feats Jotunbrud, Able Learner, Track, Skill Focus: Handle Animal, Combat Casting
Skills Diplomacy 3, Survival 4, Handle Animal 8, UMD 2, Listen 2, Ride 2
Mount Rhino

Beastmaster 1
Feat Natural Bond
Skills Diplomacy 4, UMD 4, Listen 3
Mount/Companion Rhino

Wizard, Transmuter (Bar Enchantment&Necromancy) 5
High One Warrior-Wizard Sub Levels 2&5
IN14
Feat Theurgic Mount (DR#325),
Skills Concentration 10, Survival 5, Diplomacy 5, UMD 5, Ride 4
Mount/Familiar/Companion Rhino

Abjurant Champion 5
IN15
Feat Devoted Tracker, Theurgic Bond (DR#326)
Skills Diplomacy 10, UMD 10, Listen 5, Move Silently 5, Spot 3

Mystic Theurge 1
IN16
Feat Power Attack
Skills Spot 5, Search 2

jiriku
2014-09-25, 10:41 PM
Awakened rhinoceros samurai 10/ronin 10, with Leadership feat and human swordsage cohort. What? The the title says "rhino ronin"

Uncle Pine
2014-09-26, 08:05 AM
Awakened rhinoceros samurai 10/ronin 10, with Leadership feat and human swordsage cohort. What? The the title says "rhino ronin"

Damn, I really wanted to be the first one to suggest a rhino character with a human cohort. Although I'd go for an awakened ghost rhino Master of the Unseen Hand with a Swordsage human cohort with 2 Monk levels (because the human is naked, Swordsages don't get AC bonus while unarmored and Invisible Fist is really cool to have).

EDIT: Awakened ghost rhino.

Jeff the Green
2014-09-26, 08:12 AM
Damn, I really wanted to be the first one to suggest a rhino character with a human cohort. Although I'd go for a ghost rhino Master of the Unseen Hand with a Swordsage human cohort with 2 Monk levels (because the human is naked, Swordsages don't get AC bonus while unarmored and Invisible Fist is really cool to have).

Look at his knees and forearms. Clearly he's wearing a Gloryborn mithral breastplate.

Uncle Pine
2014-09-26, 08:46 AM
Look at his knees and forearms. Clearly he's wearing a Gloryborn mithral breastplate.

What I see are bracers of armor and custom slotless kneepads of launch (Gargantuan) bolt crafted by someone with the Spell Thematics (katana) feat.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-26, 08:49 AM
What I see are bracers of armor and custom slotless kneepads of launch (Gargantuan) bolt crafted by someone with the Spell Thematics (katana) feat.

Spell Thematics (katana)... I like that. A fireball made out of burning katanas. A lightning bolt that's actually a stream of lightning-infused katanas shooting out of the caster's had. Hypnotic Pattern that makes an image of a really, really pretty katana...

Fax Celestis
2014-09-26, 09:10 AM
Spell Thematics (katana)... I like that. A fireball made out of burning katanas. A lightning bolt that's actually a stream of lightning-infused katanas shooting out of the caster's had. Hypnotic Pattern that makes an image of a really, really pretty katana...

Vortex of teeth

Zaq
2014-09-26, 12:04 PM

Vortex of teeth

Glitterdust.

Uncle Pine
2014-09-26, 12:06 PM

Vortex of teeth

Glitterdust.

Apocalypse from the sky.

Inevitability
2014-09-26, 03:05 PM
Apocalypse from the sky.

Two Three Four Five can play at this game!

Cloudkill

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-26, 03:15 PM
Two Three Four Five can play at this game!

Cloudkill

Iron Body? Alternately Tenser's Transformation.

Also, Magic Missile should launch wakizashi-shaped projectiles.