PDA

View Full Version : What We Leave Behind

Palanan
2014-09-25, 12:57 PM
In my last long-running campaign, the PCs often had to stash items they couldn't take with them--hoping to return at some point, but often being swept along by the story and unable to retrieve what they'd cached. This was anything from an extra breastplate to barrels of provisions, an unwieldy pile of coins or the skin of a spectral panther they were planning to sell.

So, what things have your characters left behind, which you've always regretted never being able to go back for?

daremetoidareyo
2014-09-25, 05:36 PM
Girlfriends being used as plot devices. It was a cornugon, and we were just 5th level, no way we were going to hell to save them.

blacklight101
2014-09-28, 02:48 PM
we tend not to leave much behind but craters, I like bringing a wagon when I can afford one along with a team of horses/oxen. Makes for fewer trips to gather the loot, really. Except for those couple times it melted , the time it was in a portable hole/bag of holding combo, and the time we had to pay off a Duke to forgive us the destruction of his walls (OMG, stop using Stone to Mud!)

troqdor1316
2014-09-28, 03:52 PM
One of my campaign's players had a pretty awesome solution to this. They set up a permanent telepathic link between the Official Group Leaders (an Aasimar Greyguard Paladin and a (homebrewed race) Animated Full Plate Cleric of Fire) and a former party member, a minotaur fighter who had gone on to become the governor of a coastal minotaur city after preventing a coup (sadly, the original governor was assassinated during the coup attempt, thus the need for new rulership).

So whenever they came across a chest full of coins or a wizard's study or a gnomish clocktower colocated on two different hemispheres, they would buzz the Minotaur governor and he would send a brigade of warriors to collect the loot they had cleared out, effectively creating a magical bank account.

Whenever they needed to access money, the governor would order his court mage (also keyed in to the telepathic link) to scry and open a teleportation circle to them so they could grab whatever they needed, spend some time chillin' with their former adventuring buddy, and the to back to whatever they were doing.

This worked until the plot required them to enter a new plane of existence (a dragon graveyard) in order to keep it from becoming part of the realm of the god of undeath, which sadly cut off the telepathic link.