PDA

View Full Version : Best Wild Shape creatures by CR

Nevereatcars
2014-09-25, 01:23 PM
What are the best beasts for a druid (circle of the moon) to turn into by CR? So, CR 1, then at lvl 6 CR 3, etc?

pwykersotz
2014-09-25, 04:19 PM
I don't have time for much analysis, but here's a shortlist of qualifying forms. I did not list the elementals, just the beasts.

Here it looks like the Brown Bear and Dire Wolf are solid options. The bear's multiattack will deal exceptional damage, and the wolf's ability to knock opponents prone is excellent control. Alas the Giant Eagle and the Giant Octopus are unavailable until later levels due to their movement types.
Brown Bear
Dire Wolf
Giant Eagle
Giant Hyena
Giant Octopus
Giant Spider
Giant Toad
Giant Vulture
Lion
Tiger

Allosaurus
Giant Boar
Giant Constrictor Snake
Giant Elk
Hunter Shark
Plesiosaurus
Polar Bear
Rhinoceros
Saber-Toothed Tiger

Ankylosaurus
Giant Scorpion
Killer Whale

Elephant

Giant Crocodile
Giant Shark
Triceratops

Mammoth

7heprofessor
2014-09-25, 08:05 PM
What are the best beasts for a druid (circle of the moon) to turn into by CR? So, CR 1, then at lvl 6 CR 3, etc?

One person's opinion here (http://community.wizards.com/forum/player-help/threads/4135986).

TheDeadlyShoe
2014-09-25, 08:53 PM
...is there no size limitation on Wild Shape? I thought there was.

hymer
2014-09-26, 02:18 PM
One person's opinion here (http://community.wizards.com/forum/player-help/threads/4135986).

I'd take that with more than a pinch of salt (friendly rivalry aside). It seems to be based on outdated information.

I'm waiting to get my MM before I feel too confident in giving advice on this, but...
First order of the day is to deal damage. The beasts I've seen leave the moon druid from level 5 on about par for the course for melee, or running to catch up. And since there are no spells to add to damage, and animals can't use magical weapons, the main focus of a wild shape is often its ability to deal damage. With only that in mind:

From level 2 to 9, I'd be going for a bear. Brown at first, polar when you can get it. After that, switch to elementals, until the giant crocodile comes online at level 15. It can't use its tail slap against a grappled foe, but that just means you have to let go of any grapple attained (doesn't cost any actions) to attack. I see no reason you can't tail slap first and then bite, if you'd like a chance to keep the grapple during the enemy's turn.
The main problem with that progression is the need to go both to (sub)tropical areas to find a big croc as well as going to arctic areas to find a polar bear - druids may only wild shape to beasts they've seen. Maybe Conjure Animal can give you a bit of a break with a lenient DM.

emeraldstreak
2014-09-26, 05:32 PM
seriously, guys. common birds migrare between temperate and tropical climes every year. a friggin flying/swimming druid can go whereever he wants in 2-3 weeks downtime.

hymer
2014-09-27, 01:36 AM
seriously, guys. common birds migrare between temperate and tropical climes every year. a friggin flying/swimming druid can go whereever he wants in 2-3 weeks downtime.

I think I understand your point, but I don't know why you bring it up. At 8th level when you can fly, the wizard is one level away from Teleportation Circle. Footslogging for the average footslogger (PHB p. 182) will move you over 500 miles in three weeks. Just how much farther do you need to go?

Rilak
2014-09-27, 01:53 AM
Footslogging for the average footslogger (PHB p. 182) will move you over 500 miles in three weeks. Just how much father do you need to go?

If the world you are in is as big as ours, walking from the jungles of, say, Colombia to northern Alaska to see some Polar Bears is a trip of around 6000 miles. Even with a Galley moving 24 hours/day, it is 62.5 days to cover the distance. A 90 ft. flying speed would be similar at a fast marching pace I guess (rules in DMG).

The Teleportation Circle does not really help though (except for the travel back). You need to have visited the destination circle.

hymer
2014-09-27, 02:17 AM
@ Rilak: Ah, now I get why he mentioned it. Thanks!
You don't need to visit a circle to teleport to it, though. You just have to know the sigil associated with it. In fact, visiting a circle does nothing in itself to let you teleport to it in future.

My point about seeing the animals you turn into is that you have to do it, easy or hard. In most campaigns you won't see both polar bears and giant crocodiles unless you go out of your way to find them. Depending on the DM and the campaign it may be difficult to get a particular wild shape you're aiming for. Giant crocodiles may be rare, dinosaurs may not exist, finding a giant squid could be a whole adventure in itself - or maybe there are preserves or zoos kept for the very purpose of educating druids for their wild shapes.