PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration: do you use it?

DontEatRawHagis
2014-09-25, 01:51 PM
So far I used it in the beginning but I forgot about it till today. Anyone else forgot about it?

pwykersotz
2014-09-25, 04:24 PM
So far I used it in the beginning but I forgot about it till today. Anyone else forgot about it?

It's easy to forget, but I hand out one or two a game.

Greylind
2014-09-25, 04:41 PM
I plan to use it when our game gets started.

Natael
2014-09-25, 05:23 PM
Not a GM, but my Adventures League GM hands it out to players that do something heavily in character (which oddly/luckily happens to be me often), and usually based on out of combat RP reasons.

Bubzors
2014-09-25, 06:39 PM
It is easy to forget. sometimes after a session I realize I probably should have given one to one of the players. But the way I distribute them is through the "Rule of Cool." Come up with a really out of the box way to deal with a problem? Inspiration point. RP your character well and talk your way into or out of a situation? Inspiration point. Jump off that mage tower and try to grab hold of the dragon that's flying past? Inspiration point. Basically anytime someone does something that you'll remember fondly in later sessions.

A good one was when the out for himself halfing bard convinced the ogre that captured him that the half-orc barbarian would taste much better with all that meat on him.

person29
2014-09-26, 10:18 AM
My group votes at the end of each session who to reward Inspiration to based on roleplaying, coolness done in game, etc

MustacheFart
2014-09-26, 10:25 AM
My DM doesn't use them. That or we all suck lol....

Though to be fair, in our last session the two big Half-Orcs managed to walk right into the Cultist Camp with a well-placed buff while everyone else failed. Then the two Half-Orcs beat up a cultist to steal his robes, did a prisoner swap using the knocked out guard, beat up/killed/pushed off a cliff the guards guarding the prisoners to buy time, saved the two other player PCs sentenced to death (reason for the prisoner swap), recovered all of the stolen equipment for the other players, and managed to investigate what the cultists were up to...all before getting the party out of the place.

Yet no inspiration. Not sure what else to try LOL.

Ramshack
2014-09-26, 11:19 AM
I also use this fairly often, not every character is awarded one each session but I do hand them out when people stick to their character traits and backgrounds or stick to the fluff of their class, sub class features etc. Maybe 2-3 times a session is normal. It's also nice as a DM to know they can reroll something if I role particularly well against them, or they fail a nasty save etc.

Ramshack
2014-09-26, 11:24 AM
My group votes at the end of each session who to reward Inspiration to based on roleplaying, coolness done in game, etc

I really like this idea, maybe i'll try it next session I host

BRKNdevil
2014-09-27, 11:16 AM
haven't had the reason to use it. None of my players have been particularly inspiring. If i don't figure out something soon, they may devolve to murder hobos

Steel Mirror
2014-09-27, 05:37 PM
I've used it every session so far, and it's worked pretty well. I think it's easier for me to remember because I've been playing a lot of FATE these past years (especially DFRPG), much more than D&D, and in fact I use Inspiration more or less like I use Fate Points in the other games: as a bribe to do IC, entertaining things that get you into trouble, or as a reward for being especially awesome and making the game more fun.

I've played in one game as a player so far, and our GM handed out 1 Inspiration which was then forgotten by the player who had it, so I've seen people gloss over it, too. My feeling is that it will be a thing that really clicks with some groups, and they'll get a lot of play out of it, but the majority of groups (especially ones that have played D&D from previous editions) will mostly forget that it exists.

MadGrady
2014-09-29, 11:28 AM
We've been using inspriation a lot, and my group has loved it. Best one we have had yet is our Barbarian was in the lead walking down a goblin trail, and managed to spot a net trap lying across the path. Instead of warning the other players, he held the branch back and gestured for our rogue to go on ahead (the two of them had been competing back and forth all session - nothing nasty, just good ol' fashioned player competition). It was just so perfectly in character, I couldn't help but reward it.

The rogue ended up spotting the trap since he was suspicious of the motives, so no one got hurt, it was just a great moment of character that we all remember quite fondly. The players laughed forever about it.