PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [AL] Finalizing two characters @ lv 4/Rogue and a Bard

Natael
2014-09-25, 04:53 PM
I surprisingly have gotten back into D&D after a few years of not doing much RPing, and have really enjoyed the Adventures League group that plays at my FLGS, so I rolled a couple of characters up and fallen in love. However, I just now picked up a PHB and want to make sure I'm not gimping anything (though they only need to be beefed up to the concept, rather than fully optimized). Both characters are at or near 4th level, so want to make sure they're good to go before I get to 5th and can't edit them anymore.

Bard

Okk Miller
Half-orc/Bard 4
Lawful Neutral
Acolyte

*Born to a former slave-gladiator mother and kindly, yet simple miller, Okk felt out of place during his childhood and delved into stories of mighty heroes of the past. Enamored with heroes and justice, he joined a local temple of Tyr as a teenager. Now grown, he has set off with the savage fervor of his orcish heritage to dispense justice and tell the tales of modern heroes"

Stats: 16/8/16/12/8/15

Class options: Valor
Feats: Heavy Armor Proficiency

Skills(*=2x bonus, switched insight for history): Arcana/Athletics*/History/Intimidation*/Perception/Religion
Languages: Human, Orc, Celestial, Infernal

Equipment of note: Splint Mail, Shield, Long Sword, many handaxes/light hammer/daggers

Spells:
0: Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Vicious Mockery
1: Cure Wounds, Thunderwave, Heroism, Sleep, Longstrider
2: Shatter, See Invisible

Combat: Tanking works well, and with my many thrown weapons I am unconcerned with dropping one to cast a spell if needed (though I tend to buff, engage, then heal later). Really liking using bardic inspiration to combat buff whoever needs it.

My ideas for changes/differences:

If I lowered int, I could run 18/8/16/10/8/14 for the extra strength and plan on +2 cha at level 8

Definitely going for str based, so want to keep it high even if suboptimal to dex.

Paladin 1/Bard 3 would free up a feat and stat bonus, while still keeping the stats up. Could heavy armor master instead of proficiency. However would need to learn how spell multi-classing works and be slightly slower on inspiration.

Rogue

Gaston Boudoir
Half-elf/Rogue 4
Chaotic Neutral
Charlton

*Growing up in a brothel, without a father wasn't easy, but Gaston got to learn about women from the best. From hearing stories of his (elven) father's centuries long escapades and Gaston's daddu issue beard fetish, he set out to explore the world's women, dwarves and treasures"

Stats: 8/16/12/10/14/16

Class options: Assassin
Feats: Sharpshooter

Skills(*=2x bonus, switched insight for history): Acrobatics/Deception/Insight/Investigation/Perception*/Persuasion*/Sleight of Hand/Stealth/Thieves tools/Disguise Kit/Forgery Kit
Languages: Human, Elf, Dwarf

Equipment or note: Studded Leather, Hand x-bow, light x-bow, short sword, daggers, Forgery/disguise/Thieves kits

Combat: Keeps out of combat as often as possible, though when needed, he stays behind and does the whole hide/sniping for advantage as far from the opponent as possible. Has been a start player in Hoard of the Dragon Queen with his +7 persuasion, despite being a level lower than the rest of the party.

My ideas for changes/differences:

Replacing Performance with Investigation for thematics.

Honestly unsure which rogue archetype to take, none of them seem to quite fit. Arcane Trickster seems decent for utility, but my low int effectively screws over anything with a save or attack roll, but I do love the mage hand powers.

Either Crossbow Expert, Lucky, +2 dx, or +2 cha for my 4th level feat. While I like Sharpshooter for being a combat-avoider, the cha could help me avoid it better, and XBX/Lucky can help me end it even quicker as many "dungeons" don't let you fire from 300 ft away.

Please let me know if I should reformat things for easier reading.
Many thanks for any help, and hopefully this helps others look into characters as well.

MrUberGr
2014-09-25, 05:43 PM
For the rogue, if you want some magics then you could get mage initiate feat, for two cantrips and one 1st level spell. If you get mage hand and prestidigitation then your Int doesn't bother you. Not sure about the 1st level spell cause I think the wizard needs at least 10 int to be able to cast.

OR you could get 1 level in wizard, for 3 cantrips and two 1st level spells. Plus, you get the spellbook and could essentialy get all the 1st level spells.

btw, could you explain a bit how you ended up with that array as a half elf?

Uldric
2014-09-25, 08:03 PM
btw, could you explain a bit how you ended up with that array as a half elf?

That's actually the standard array with the half elf bonuses. Str 8 Dex 15+1 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 13+1 Cha 14+2