PDA

View Full Version : Large mounts and range

Symphony
2014-09-25, 04:54 PM
So, the recent Paladin guide thread got me thinking about mounted combat, and specifically using a lance, and what it means to be riding a large creature.

Warhorses and Riding Horses are large creatures that control a 10x10 foot square. If the rider is in the center of this 10x10 square, it is ~7.5 feet to the center of a adjacent 5x5 square (usually a little more, actually). If the rider has a reach of 5ft (every non-ranged/reach weapon), can he even attack an adjacent creature? If he can, does that mean that the adjacent creature is considered to be within 5 feet and thus causes disadvantage when attacking with a lance?

Presumably, a horse does not take up the entire 10x10 square. In fact, Google searches tell me that a horse is approximately 8 feet long and about 3 feet wide (with rider). If a large creature (such as this horse) controls a 10x10 square, presumably, like all creatures, it can move about freely within this area. With a weapon that has 5 foot reach, attacking past the horse's head would be a little difficult, but easily doable to the sides. However, with a weapon like the lance, attacking past the front of the horse should almost guarantee that the target is more than 5 feet away (>3 feet of horse, +2 feet from backing up to the opposite edge of the 10x10 square), thereby allowing attacks without disadvantage.

After typing this out, it makes sense to me that being mounted on a large creature should allow you to make attacks with both regular weapons and lances (without disadvantage) against neighboring creatures. Does that make sense to anyone else?

Demonic Spoon
2014-09-25, 05:09 PM
5E does not have the concept of a 5 or 10-foot square being the area that is "occupied" by a creature...At least not yet, but presumably if such rules exist in the DMG they'll account for creatures that are longer than they are wide.

The question is whether an opponent wielding a short weapon would conceivably come close enough to a lance-wielder on a horse such that the lance would become unwieldy. And...I think the answer to that is "yes, definitely".

Symphony
2014-09-25, 05:13 PM
5E does not have the concept of a 5 or 10-foot square being the area that is "occupied" by a creature...At least not yet, but presumably if such rules exist in the DMG they'll account for creatures that are longer than they are wide.

PHB, p.191. It specifically notes that a large creature "controls in combat" a 10 by 10 ft. square.

I'd like to note that the idea of being forced to discard/stow the lance and switch to a battleaxe or whatever doesn't particularly bother me. I just think this particular interpretation is supported by RAW and possibly RAI.