PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Bone Knight ...alignment

JohnStone
2014-09-25, 05:03 PM
I am playing in a game where alignment is very important. I notice that Bone Knight has no alignment restrictions. Could someone help me understand how this class could work for Lawful Good.

By the description it appears they are actually meant to be LG, is there some fluff i dont know about? Controlling undead ,wearing bone armor...these dont seem like LG behaviors.

Bluydee
2014-09-25, 05:10 PM
Bone Knight comes from Five Nations, where the fluff is that they fight alongside the karnathi undead to protect the nation.

Zaq
2014-09-25, 05:14 PM
What's non-LG about bone armor, specifically? Even if they're humanoid bones, the class has "knight" in the name—it's not expected to be peaceful, after all, and while some people might be put off by it, there's nothing anti-Lawful or anti-Good about the practice of using your enemies' remains. (Sure, you aren't going to get away with slaughtering innocents just to make armor out of them, but an LG character wouldn't be doing that anyway.)

JohnStone
2014-09-25, 05:18 PM
OK, I will read up on that. Would it be reasonable to play one as the embodyment of LG, even an exalted SAINT?

OldTrees1
2014-09-25, 05:24 PM
OK, I will read up on that. Would it be reasonable to play one as the embodyment of LG, even an exalted SAINT?

Depends, BoED exalted or your DM's version of exalted?

Paladin Conversion: If you were a paladin or ex-paladin before becoming a bone knight, you can never again advance levels as a paladin, since your association with the undead forever taints you.

Your DM might be willing even if WotC listened to too much Pelorian Propaganda. Down with the Burning Hate! :smallbiggrin:

JohnStone
2014-09-25, 05:44 PM
I actually wasnt voing paladin, itsfora lvl 15 campaign iwas thinking:

CloisteredCleric 4/ Ordained champion 2/ Bone Knight 9

I get the +2 template free.

OldTrees1
2014-09-25, 05:52 PM
I actually wasnt voing paladin, itsfora lvl 15 campaign iwas thinking:

CloisteredCleric 4/ Ordained champion 2/ Bone Knight 9

I get the +2 template free.

I was referring to WotC's view of undead as evil and associating with them being non-holy. I fully expect your DM to ignore those views.

JohnStone
2014-09-25, 06:03 PM
I am not so sure about that...

The game i am playing has 9 PCs each representing the pinnacle of the their alignment. I am tasked with LG, LE is already taken.

If i can justify this Bone knight as LG ill be good to go.

I am thinking perhaps a very vain knight that resisted the idea at first then succumbed to the idea as a means to an end. His SAINT Sacrifice could be the armor graft.

Greenish
2014-09-25, 06:24 PM
Bone Knights get around controlling undead whilst being (potentially) Lawful Good by being in Eberron. The setting comes closest to ignoring alignment or playing it as subjective that you can get in official 3.5.

Leviting
2014-09-25, 10:21 PM
I think it works the same way the HellKnights can also be Lawful Good. Come on, they even have Hell in their name!

Ellowryn
2014-09-25, 10:37 PM
The problem is subjectivity. A bone knight is a great defender of their realm, ready to stand fast against any and all enemies in order to protect the nation and its citizens. This is almost everything that a LG character is supposed to do. This alignment only holds up from their perspective though, for others (including WotC) dealing with undead is Evil, period. It all comes down to weather or not your DM follows the undead = evil view of DnD.

vhfforever
2014-09-25, 11:15 PM
Could you plausibly wedge in some Grey Guard to protect your alignment slippages? It would shoehorn you into Paladin, however.

Andezzar
2014-09-25, 11:39 PM
Could you plausibly wedge in some Grey Guard to protect your alignment slippages? It would shoehorn you into Paladin, however.Ignoring alignment restrictions does not fit well with an incarnation of that alignment, which the PCs are supposed to be.

Sir Garanok
2014-09-26, 03:23 AM
Well if your dm dooesn't bother you can do it.
Well if you don't bother you can do it,the rules allow it.

You are using evil means to get the good job done.

Like slaying an innocent not to blow your cover for a greater mission.

To me that is unaceptable is you consider your character good.

Greenish
2014-09-26, 03:30 AM
Could you plausibly wedge in some Grey Guard to protect your alignment slippages? It would shoehorn you into Paladin, however.Since Bone Knights can be of any alignment, and regain most paladin goodies if ex-paladins, that would be somewhat redundant.