PDA

View Full Version : Limit on Splat?

Buufreak
2014-09-25, 05:07 PM
Am I even using splat properly? idk. I am still getting into being a good DM, and I thought it was a decent question to ask: Should I limit how many books my players are allowed to access outside of core books and setting book? Eventually, they might just get silly with builds and ideas. What is the general opinion out there?

Zaq
2014-09-25, 05:11 PM
This is handled much better by a gentle approach than by a sweeping one. Very few books are 100% broken with no redeeming features. Don't ban books out of hand, but review what everyone's actually using, and ban or modify things on a case-by-case basis if they're too much. It may even be best to let them see play first, rather than just going with your gut, at least more often than not. Be very clear up-front that you reserve the right to retroactively ban or change things that are too strong, but specify that you'll work with the player in question to find an acceptable alternative instead of saying "your character is banned, go make a new one."

Beyond that, just tell your players that you're not actively looking to ban anything, but that they shouldn't try to pull anything that would make you NEED to ban anything. If your players are mature, you shouldn't have too many issues. (If they're immature, banning books isn't going to be the solution—you can be plenty broken in Core-only if you're trying hard enough.)

OldTrees1
2014-09-25, 05:18 PM
I think I should allow as many splat books as I can handle DMing for.

This principle probably works for you too. Since you are just getting into it, have an Allowed list by content rather than a banned list by book. Make it clear that the Allowed list is meant to be expanded by Player requests and that you are counting on them to request things. Then evaluate each request. Try to say yes unless either you don't have the time to understand the content or you don't know how to DM in a game with that content.

Oh, and that list is also the place to add homebrew stuff too.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-25, 05:26 PM
I personally tend to allow everything i have the material for unless things don't fit the fluff for a particular campaign.
Instead of banning i give the players a general idea of the expected power level and have them send me a mail with their build and the general idea behind it before the campaign starts, to sort out any issues. That generally takes care of any balance concerns.

The problem rarely lies in the added content itself. It just becomes a problem when someone puts every good thing into the same build, often with synergies that probably weren't intended.
With your players sending you their build beforehand and what it's supposed to do you can screen for that.

Brookshw
2014-09-25, 05:30 PM

This principle probably works for you too. Since you are just getting into it, have an Allowed list by content rather than a banned list by book. Make it clear that the Allowed list is meant to be expanded by Player requests and that you are counting on them to request things. Then evaluate each request. Try to say yes unless either you don't have the time to understand the content or you don't know how to DM in a game with that content.

Good stuff there and yup, the core assumption is that the books aren't allowed until the dm says otherwise. Referring to them as banned carries more of a negative connotation and is inaccurate. Do indeed though try to let them use content that fits the game you want to run and is within your comfort scope. Also you don't need to go whole sale on a book, check specific content and evaluate its suitability, for example prestige x from the book is kosher but not the rest as an example.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-25, 07:09 PM
If you want to limit what your players are able to do, it's generally a good idea to have a blanket "yes" on all of the WotC-published 3.5 books other than campaign setting books. Then, allow the following things on a case-by-case basis, as long as the players ask you about it before putting it on their character sheet (preferably long before) and explain why they want it:

Things from 3.0 books that weren't updated to 3.5 (e.g. Outlaw of the Crimson Road from Song And Silence could be usable since it doesn't show up in 3.5, but if a player wants Dread Pirate they're using the Complete Adventurer version)
Character options from campaign setting books
Stuff from Dragon Compendium/Magazine
Third-party material
Homebrew stuff
Pathfinder things, if you're using 3.5 (otherwise it's the other way around)

Then nothing isn't wholesale banned, but there's an encouragement to stick to the more core things.

backwaterj
2014-09-26, 05:50 AM

My mantra is if I've read it and understand it, I'll allow it, unless I have good reason not to.

That said, don't be afraid to judge cheese on a case-by-case basis, bearing in mind the power level of the campaign.

Ultimately, though, if you've got players looking for a way to break the game they'll find it no matter what you allow them. In that case the challenge is to break the game more than the players do without getting them all killed (which is a fine line but it can work). If, on the other hand, you have players who just want to have fun and roleplay, your task is significantly easier. If you have both . . . good luck, you'll need it.

Thrudd
2014-09-26, 06:02 AM
Generally limit options to those books you personally own or have access to, and are familiar with. If someone wants to use something from a book you don't own, ask them to borrow the book and review it first to make sure it fits into your setting. Even in the book you own, you may want to restrict certain things depending on your setting.

My rule is it needs to fit into the game world. If psionics, or incarnum, or half-dragons don't exist in my world, then they won't be allowed.

Summerstorm
2014-09-26, 06:35 AM
The rule my DM does is:

Two books per player. But no Compendium.

Anything else you have to ask for in-game.

That means when you create a character you have the core books (DM, PG and Monster Manual I by default. And you can choose two books to draw races, classes, feats and spells) Anything more will be mostly hard blocked. This is to prevent weird frankenstein-monsters of improbable or near impossible combinations - total freaks of optimization to appear.

In-Game you can ask to work up to something (Trying to get a teacher, meet and experience an event or something), so you can get into a class not in your book or choose a feat from somewhere else.

So far i usually agree with it, since it really helps with keeping the world interesting but diverse but doesn't go overboard with something (You might be a exotic creature or have unusual training)... but of course sometimes i wished to just have this ONE feat i would REALLY, REALLY like without burning a whole source for me.

Overall: Don't block splats, they are ALL manageable - except it just doesn't fit into the campaign you are playing.

Jeff the Green
2014-09-26, 07:23 AM
Am I even using splat properly?

Not exactly. "Splat" can be used in two ways, as a noun adjunct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noun_adjunct) to "book", producing the phrase "splat book". The other is as a noun by itself. In this case it's a countable noun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_noun), so you'd use the plural when appropriate, as in the phrase "What splats can I use?".

Overall: Don't block splats, they are ALL manageable - except it just doesn't fit into the campaign you are playing.

Generally I agree with this, but I've yet to find something in Dragons of Eberron or Serpent Kingdoms I want in campaigns I run or play in.

The idea of limiting the number of splats a character can use is problematic. A Wizard breaks the game with a single book (PHB) and becomes basically unbeatable with two (PGtF has both Incantatrix and Persistent Spell). A Paladin needs ~7 (http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3407376) to be able to contribute to all encounters. It's even worse for things like Duskblades or Beguilers, who have to choose a book just to get in the class. And if you want to play, say, an Illumain Duskblade/Archivist (an entirely valid, and not at all overpowered, choice), you're out of luck since you broke the limit with just the basic concept (PHB+RoD+PHB2+HoH).

Rebel7284
2014-09-26, 07:25 AM
The problem with limiting splats is that some character concepts need a LOT more book access than others to be equally optimized. For example, core-only druid is known to be a powerhouse without needing access to any other sources (sure other sources are nice, but nothing essential or tier altering can be found there.)

On the other hand, if you are trying to build a fear-based Barbarian/Fighter, you need a bunch of sources just to do your thing.

KillianHawkeye
2014-09-26, 09:54 AM
Personally, I don't put a numerical limit on the number of books my players can use for creating their characters. What I do put a limit on is two things: Dragon Magazine materials for the simple fact that I haven't read up on most Dragon Magazines, and setting specific materials such as FR or Eberron stuff because I don't run games in those settings. However, this isn't a hard limit. I will allow materials from Dragon or FR or Eberron on a case-by-case basis with the proviso that such materials are subject to modification so that I can make sure they fit into my games and are not unbalanced when removed from their original sources.

Urpriest
2014-09-26, 10:01 AM
As a new DM, the best rule to make is that you won't let players use something you haven't read, and if a player wants to use something you haven't yet read you will make time to sit down with them and learn about it. This should apply equally to splatbooks and to options in the PHB.

pyrese
2014-09-26, 10:32 AM
I recently ran a campaign where I limited the books as follows:

All core was allowed as well as all of the complete books (Complete Mage, Complete Adventurer, ect). Beyond that, each player could chose one splat book to bring in and that splat book would be available for everyone. My purpose was to get players to think more about what they really wanted to have in their characters build in reaction to a developing problem of playing the paper doll instead of the character.

It worked well for us.

That said, if you're new to DMing, make sure that you and the player agree on how their character works before starting play. If you're unsure of any mechanic and a player is really attached to it, you can always come here for a third party opinion on how it should work.

Optimator
2014-09-26, 10:45 AM
Your limit should be the limit of your ability to manage all the options. In general more splat means more power, but it always hurts melee/mundanes more when books are restricted--full-casters can break the game with few books indeed. For balance purposes I'd say don't restrict at all. Just restrict when it becomes too much to juggle. Clear every choice fro every splat with the anticipation of saying, "yes."

Ruethgar
2014-09-26, 11:27 AM
I always allow all WotC sources except setting specific and dragon magazine which are allowable on a case-by case basis(as well as good homebrew and rarely 3rd party). However I am often the most well versed person at the table and work with the players' character ideas giving heavy input which allows me to gauge and guide characters to an appropriate power level while still fulfilling the concept.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-09-26, 05:32 PM
Limiting by books is a terrible way to balance things. Some classes get a ton of goodies packed into one book, while others have to scrounge for one or 2 things from a bunch of different books. For example, a primary caster gains more just from Spell Compendium than a Rogue does from any 5 books of his choice. In general, caster goodies tend to 95% be bundled together in the same handful of books while noncasters don't get nearly that kind of handy consolidation. So allowing 2 or 3 books per character actually WORSENS the caster-martial divide.

My advice: Allow on a case-by-case basis, ask your players to clear what they are looking to take with you first, the earlier they're aware the better. Only judge those things, saves you the trouble of reading entire books.
And in general, be much harsher on the casters than the noncasters. For example, I *will not* allow a full 10/10 (or 5/5....you get the idea) caster level progression prestige class in my games unless a) it's impossible to enter w/o losing at least one CL or b) it is unquestionably not much/any better than just advancing the base caster class would be. If neither of those apply, I remove the +1 CL at 1st level of the prestige class. Be very wary of metamagic reducers, strictly nerf or ban things that let you ignore metamagic costs, and surf the web to find the really broken splat spells, feats, and alt. class features and ban/nerf them, too. And it should go without saying, but the players should not do any combos that can result in an infinite loop, not in an actual D&D game.

Novawurmson
2014-09-27, 12:53 AM
[S]urf the web to find the really broken splat spells, feats, and alt. class features and ban/nerf them, too. And it should go without saying, but the players should not do any combos that can result in an infinite loop, not in an actual D&D game.

This is great advice. Anything your players want to use that you're not sure about, Google or ask about here. It's rare that your players are going to find some new broken OP combo in WotC 3.5 supplements - if they're doing something really broken, it's probably something they read about online, or they're ignoring an important rule or restriction.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-27, 01:51 AM
Be very wary of metamagic reducers, strictly nerf or ban things that let you ignore metamagic costs, and surf the web to find the really broken splat spells, feats, and alt. class features and ban/nerf them, too.

The bolded part is probably the most important thing you can do to reign in casters. Free metamagic like DMM or Incantatrix is one of the prime reasons for casters breaking the game.
In the same category, anything that lets you ignore costly material components or xp costs of spells should generally not be allowed.
Then there is Shapechange or anything that lets you shapeshift while getting supernatural abilities. Alter Self & Polymorph are strong but still limited. Shapechange is not.

Incidentally most of the really broken caster tricks fall in one or more of those categories, so removing them should take care of most problems on that front.