PDA

View Full Version : How would you handle a (theoretical) double weapon?

Totema
2014-09-25, 05:15 PM
Such as the good ol' double-bladed swords and gnome hooked hammers? One of my players asked if they could use them in our adventure, so I thought a bit on how they might work well in 5e.

The method I'm currently running with is to have them work a bit like the first part of the Polearm Master feat, but without having to take the feat to use it. The "second" side of the weapon can be used as a bonus action after the user makes at least one attack with the "first" side. It would have a d4 damage die, and the same damage type as the first side. And if the user actually does have the feat, they could apply the first side's damage die to the second side. (I don't think I'd let the second part of the feat apply to the double weapon though, because that would begin being a little too cheesy) I'll see if I can run the numbers later, but for now I think it works pretty intuitively.

Also, what kind of proficiency category would make sense for these weapons? I'm a little tempted to bring back the old "exotic" category for these, but that would seem clunky in 5e. They would also be too complex to be martial weapons. Maybe just keep them out of categories altogether, and allow characters to train for proficiency in one of the weapons during their downtime?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Mr.Moron
2014-09-25, 05:17 PM
Martial Weapons. Treated the same as DWing two light weapons, with one end being the off hand.

On an attack roll of "1" user takes 1d8+(20-Charisma Score) psychic damage per character level from embarrassment.

Natael
2014-09-25, 05:20 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is a quarterstaff, probably martial (and given to monks), that would have double and light. You would then just be able to use a single weapon for two-weapon fighting. Definitely would not go so far as to give a polearm master style bonus for free. Would not be a huge benefit due to only needing to disarm one weapon from someone, but would allow a magical one to be effectively cheaper. Perhaps let it do 1d6 b damage.

Grayson01
2014-09-25, 06:20 PM
Martial Weapons. Treated the same as DWing two light weapons, with one end being the off hand.

On an attack roll of "1" user takes 1d8+(20-Charisma Score) psychic damage per character level from embarrassment.

This minus the Psychic Damage lol.

Honestly think it being Martial and having it do the same or a die smaller Damage is fair. You are already losing the Ability modifier Damage unless you are a ranger/fighter being enough of a penalty.

TheCrowing1432
2014-09-25, 06:40 PM
.....Why would one end of the quarterstaff do less damage then the other end? That doesnt make any sense.

Totema
2014-09-25, 06:46 PM
As far as I can tell that's pretty much exactly how I described it, actually. Maybe describing it vis a vis the Polearm Master feat was a little off point. Come to think of it, I probably should disconnect it from that feat altogether and basically just treat it as similar to TWF. However, since it's technically not TWF, I don't think I'd allow the fighting style to apply to it. Greater weapon fighting, however, seems fair game.

Daishain
2014-09-25, 06:58 PM
.....Why would one end of the quarterstaff do less damage then the other end? That doesnt make any sense.

because the second strike is made with less force, and likely with less ability to direct exactly where it lands. Think about it for a moment, the first strike you have a full windup and a target in mind, the second is made only with whatever ricochet velocity is left and whatever amount can be generated in that split second.

TheCrowing1432
2014-09-25, 08:07 PM
because the second strike is made with less force, and likely with less ability to direct exactly where it lands. Think about it for a moment, the first strike you have a full windup and a target in mind, the second is made only with whatever ricochet velocity is left and whatever amount can be generated in that split second.

Fair enough, but quarterstaffs in 3.5 had 1d6 on both ends if you used it as a double weapon.

So I dont see why it wouldnt here.

Yakk
2014-09-25, 10:19 PM
Double Weapon: When you do not have disadvantage on your attack roll when attacking with a double weapon, you can take disadvantage it to make an additional attack with the double weapon on a second target (also with disadvantage), or you may reroll any damage dice from a hit on the first target once (but must keep the 2nd roll). You may use a bonus action to make an extra attack as if you where dual wielding a light weapon, but this attack may not target anything you have attacked this turn.

Double Sword: 2 handed d8 slashing weapon
Double Scimitar[b]: 2 handed d6 slashing weapon, finesse
[b]Quarterstaff: 2 handed d6 bludgeon weapon, finesse
Spiked Chain: 2 handed d4 piercing weapon, reach, finesse

Idea: Taking disadvantage means you are trying to attack with both ends. This is hard.

This either lets you attack 2 targets at once, or flurry on your current target. Single target flurry is represented by advantage on your damage roll.

Finally, the you can do a dual wield "off-hand attack", but not on any target you attacked already (to make it a bit weaker than double-light weapons).

Aramis Rhett
2014-09-25, 10:43 PM
Somehow I can see this being addressed fully in the upcoming DMG.