PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Taking Multiple Sorcerer Bloodline Feats?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-25, 09:25 PM
Specifically, the Dragon Compendium feats that give a sorcerer an extra spell known of each level. There's nothing saying that you can't take more than one of them, and there's no real fluff against taking multiple (after all, more magical ancestors = higher chance of being a sorcerer). Are they a good way for a sorcerer to expand their versatility, especially if they have a means of acquiring extra feats (e.g. through flaws)?

Thurbane
2014-09-25, 09:53 PM
RAW, the Dragon Compendium version - yes, you can take multiples. I think maybe in the original Dragon Mags where they appeared might have forbidden this, but that's irrelevant (from a RAW standpoint) to the DMC versions.

From a roleplaying perspective, having certain bloodline combos might be a little odd. Unless your grandaddy was a treant and your grandma a vampire, reconciling certain pairings might be a little weird. :smalltongue:

...and yes, I think bloodline feats are a great way to nab extra spells known, better bang for your buck than any other feat investment I am aware of.

PS, I don't believe you are restricted to taking them at 1st level only, either.

Jeff the Green
2014-09-25, 10:42 PM
From a roleplaying perspective, having certain bloodline combos might be a little odd. Unless your grandaddy was a treant and your grandma a vampire, reconciling certain pairings might be a little weird. :smalltongue:

Any incredulity the combination might inspire is surely dwarfed—nay, petaled—by that of merely having a treant or vampire as an ancestor at all.

Agincourt
2014-09-26, 12:01 AM
No, you cannot take more than one bloodline according to RAW. Dragon Compendium, page 88 says, "A character may choose only one base bloodline feat."

Deox
2014-09-26, 12:17 AM
Only one bloodline feat may be selected.

As an alternative option, there is always the Mother Cyst feat for some very devastating and cool necrotic spells to add to your list.

Jeff the Green
2014-09-26, 12:56 AM
As an alternative option, there is always the Mother Cyst feat for some very devastating and cool necrotic spells to add to your list.

Dragon #330 also has Cerebrosis, a similar feat that gives some fun Far Realm based spells that you can choose to "escalate" by taking a risk it'll backfire.

Thurbane
2014-09-26, 02:47 AM
No, you cannot take more than one bloodline according to RAW. Dragon Compendium, page 88 says, "A character may choose only one base bloodline feat."

It does indeed - missed that all this time, despite re-reading the section specifically to answer this thread. My bad.

Deox
2014-09-26, 03:41 AM
Dragon #330 also has Cerebrosis, a similar feat that gives some fun Far Realm based spells that you can choose to "escalate" by taking a risk it'll backfire.

Just read those spells from the list. Love them. Lingering Raver is especially hilarious.

Grim Reader
2014-09-26, 04:37 AM

Reasonably speaking, this would probably happen if you descended from Sorcerers of various bloodlines. It does not seem unrealistic, characters with mysterious powers and a tendency to be rejected by society probably have some incentive for banding together. Add in the very high charisma of all concerned and pants probably get lost occasionally.

If you are allowed Pathfinder material, I'd take a look at the Mongrelblooded bloodline, for building a fluff case for the DM.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-26, 08:26 AM
It does indeed - missed that all this time, despite re-reading the section specifically to answer this thread. My bad.

Damn. I missed it too, and I read the section twice in a row...

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll take a look at Mother Cyst and Cerebrosis for sure.