PDA

View Full Version : Leprechauns

Yodaman23
2007-03-13, 01:53 PM
So with St. Patricks day coming up I hope to run a special game on saterday with my friends. I am looking for stats on a Leprechaun but for some reason Dungeons and Dragons doesn't have one. After reasearching Leprechauns I realize that they would be CN and relivitly powerful in illusion magic. They must also be incredibly difficult to catch. Do any of you know where i can find stats or perhaps we want to make stats for one.

PnP Fan
2007-03-13, 02:14 PM
Start with one of the fairy creatures (a grick maybe?), slap on some levels of wizard/illusionist/enchanter, or give them spell-like abilities according to the legends (teleportation, gate - to their pot-o-gold only, invisibility, something to improve their grapple checks, etc. . . )
That's where I'd start at least.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-13, 02:19 PM
They've got stats in 2e, could homebrew a 3e reviion.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-03-13, 03:48 PM
Try a "D20 Leprechaun" search. I found one at www.d20zines.com/v7/node/979 Leyline: The Leparechaun by Scott Moore posted on the web on 3/15 based on the 1977 AD&D MM and the 2E Monstrous Manual even including the old limited wishes and fondness/weakness for wine.

silentknight
2007-03-13, 05:37 PM
Start with one of the fairy creatures (a grick maybe?)

I think you mean grig. A grick is an aberration, a beaked, tentacled snake-like creature.

cupkeyk
2007-03-13, 09:11 PM
They have been statted as 2.0 and have been converted to 3.0 here (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/mainlist2.pl?Leprechaun).

Have fun. LOLz

CASTLEMIKE
2007-03-14, 01:33 PM
For some reason the search function isn't working at d20zines so I amended the link in my earlier post to take you directly to the leprchaun post.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-14, 01:37 PM
Start with one of the fairy creatures (a grick maybe?)

I think you mean grig. A grick is an aberration, a beaked, tentacled snake-like creature.

And grigs don't work either, since they're basically half-cricket.

Brigham
2007-03-14, 02:00 PM
I'd always thought of leprechauns as a bit evil. Unless you're looking at Disney's Darby O'gill and the Little People. Traditionally, Leprechauns are something malicious, though.

daggaz
2007-03-14, 02:07 PM
Its from Ireland. Its bound to drink too much, fight too much, and generally f*** things up. =P JK I love my Irish friends! (who would laugh and agree with this joke)

Jimp
2007-03-14, 05:30 PM
You could also try some MM Fey like Pixies or something (sorry but I've never really looked at Fey much so names may be wrong) and just increase their size.

NecroPaladin
2007-03-14, 10:33 PM
Its from Ireland. Its bound to drink too much, fight too much, and generally f*** things up. =P JK I love my Irish friends! (who would laugh and agree with this joke)

American meself, but roughly %80 of my heritage is from Ireland. Do remember that drink doesn't make Leprechauns more lazy and sloppy, it in fact makes them more spastic and dangerous. And they have a base land speed and burrow speed of 50ft, 60 when drunk. And, despite the size, their fisticuffs hit like the potato famine! I make a (chamber-but they don't tell you that-)pot of 1000gp appear as if teleported if you can pin it, but good luck what with the speediness (I also sometimes treat them as having grease as a spell-like ability).

Jack Mann
2007-03-14, 10:49 PM
Leprechauns are traditionally mischievous, but not actually malicious, and most of their mischief is reserved for those who try to take their gold. For example, a man (either a farmer or a bandit) catches a leprechaun and finds where the gold is buried, in a field of ragwort. He doesn't have a shovel, so he ties his red garter to a sprig of ragwort. But when he returns, all the ragwort in the field is sporting red garters. That sort of thing.

Clurichauns are a bit different. Cousins to the leprechauns (or the night form of the leprechaun, depending on the story), they're surly drunks. Treat them well, and they'll guard your wine cellar. Treat them poorly, and they'll make life hell for you (and drink all of your liquor).

Still, even they're not really evil. Chaotic neutral at worst.

NecroPaladin
2007-03-14, 11:10 PM
Still, even they're not really evil. Chaotic neutral at worst.

'Tis as I treats 'em.

Tola
2007-03-15, 01:44 PM
Taking something fore Heroes of Might and Magic, here...

Extreme Luck. Some sort of inherant bonus to everything it does.

Vodun
2007-03-15, 06:56 PM
So with St. Patricks day coming up I hope to run a special game on saterday with my friends. I am looking for stats on a Leprechaun but for some reason Dungeons and Dragons doesn't have one. After reasearching Leprechauns I realize that they would be CN and relivitly powerful in illusion magic. They must also be incredibly difficult to catch. Do any of you know where i can find stats or perhaps we want to make stats for one.

You just described a gnome.

kirbsys
2007-03-15, 07:07 PM
You know, you're actually right, just let em be a gnome and give 'em some levels in either sorcerer or wizard, pump their illusion, and give em a pot of gold and a natural bonus on grapple checks when trying to escape the grapple.